As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Re: Sunshine:
    Also, even if it implodes on itself in the final third, it has a stunningly beautiful final scene.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Yeah, Sunshine begins and ends so good that my brain kinda scrubs out the
    weird slasher villain subplot
    whenever I think back on it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Anyone here see Aquaman yet? Are there any scenes with Superman in it? I have a theory that if Superman shows up in a DC movie then it's going to be garbage.

No other DC heroes show up at all.

Excellent!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Phasen wrote: »
    0GsLAqQ.jpg

Sunshine is a great film that falls off the rails towards the end but the first 2/3rds are a masterpiece.

...yeah. It had an interesting, if somewhat nonsensical premise, with a definite sense of style and buildup towards...something that completely falls off the rails in the second half of the film.

So much potential, wasted.

Orca on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The original Solaris is 2001 but probably better

If you like classic Sci-Fi its a must see.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Y’all are still wrong about Sunshine, a great movie which is great the whole way through.

Also, I liked Europa Report and it is definitely worth watching for fans of space sci-fi.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Its a space horror slasher that's also visually delightful and anyone is down on it?

Shame.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pandorum is another good space horror movie.

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The latest Spaaaaaace movie, "First Man", may be a bit Oscar-bait-y (mostly Ryan Gosling who won't eat his cereal), but it's probably the closest any of us will be to actually being inside a space race-era capsule. The attention to detail is pretty amazing, and all of the spaceflight sections are terrifying and wondrous.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

I just rewatched Pandorum last month and it really didn't hold up at all. All of the mutant stuff in it is completely superfluous and the whole thing would've been much better without them.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

I just rewatched Pandorum last month and it really didn't hold up at all. All of the mutant stuff in it is completely superfluous and the whole thing would've been much better without them.

Its so dumb i love it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I also liked Sunshine all the way through. Here's a quote from a review of The Prestige which captures my thoughts on the part of Sunshine that everyone else seems to hate:
    "With a sinking heart," Roger Ebert writes, "I realized that The Prestige had jumped the rails, and that rules we thought were in place no longer applied." Why sinking? Why not soaring? Who wants a movie on rails?

I think some people don't understand - or else don't like and don't want to accept - that Sunshine is a movie where the sun is essentially an evil, eldritch God which drives people insane. The subplot in question ties into that.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Tarkovsky's Solaris is brilliant, but you have to be ready for almost 3 hours of very slow, very quiet, very ponderous Russian solemnity. I haven't seen the Soderbergh version.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular

Event Horizon 4life, yo.

• Options
    The Soderbergh version is eerie and gorgeous, well worth seeing.

I bounced off the original but will try again one of these days.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Its a space horror slasher that's also visually delightful and anyone is down on it?

Shame.

My disappointment is simply that I wasn't aware I was watching a horror slasher, and am not much of a fan of that type of film. BUT, I think it does work better to keep the audience in the dark about it and I wish more movies would try to work with that kind of tone shift without tipping their hand in the trailers. Certainly you'll have people disappointed that they didn't know what they were getting into, but it's done so rarely that I think there's some good stuff that could be made and isn't.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The latest Spaaaaaace movie, "First Man", may be a bit Oscar-bait-y (mostly Ryan Gosling who won't eat his cereal), but it's probably the closest any of us will be to actually being inside a space race-era capsule. The attention to detail is pretty amazing, and all of the spaceflight sections are terrifying and wondrous.

I keep thinking back to the Gemini/Agena launch sequence and I can't wait to rewatch that sucker in 4k surround sound. Truly haunting.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Moon was good, but once it is done it is done.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I am an unabashed fan of the first Harry Potter movie, which established so much about the franchise—the fantastic John Williams score, the casting (not just the kids, and finding Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson at the same time should be enough for anybody, but also Alan Rickman and the general trend of making sure every talented character actor in Britain got to play one adult or another), the look of Hogwarts, the Dursleys (pitch-perfect), the emotional tone (wonder, danger, humor, wistfulness), how to film Quidditch, how many noses Voldemort has, I could go on. It brings the book to life in a magical way that captures the novel’s whimsy and emotionality, that feels like a full journey. Unnoticed behind all the wizardry, the real theme of the story rings clear all the way through—how a lonely little boy finds a home, a new family of teacher/parents and sibling/friends, and the depths of his need and gratitude for that.

Say what you want about the second movie (limited as it is by the second book’s failings), Columbus made an iconic, effective opening to the story that actually stands alone, unlike all the rest, none of which would exist or be the way that they are without his foundation. Y’all are underrating how important that is—without this version of Harry Potter, all the darkenings and deviations later don’t feel like variations from an idealized childhood beginning—and how well they accomplished it.
    Uh, 20 pages late but I want to take issue with the bolded specifically. I don't think the actors or directors knew what to do with the Dursleys, with one notable exception. I don't think even the normally-great Alfonso Cuarón knew what to do with them.

The primary goal of (almost) everyone involved seemed to be to make the Dursleys funny. And, sure, go ahead and make them funny, but they shouldn't just be funny. The Dursleys represent hate, prejudice, and abuse. As an audience member you should feel suffocated by them - you should desperately want to get out from under them, so that Harry's subsequent escape feels like a giant relief. But I never felt genuinely intimidated when Vernon or Dudley were bullying Harry. Maybe other people were? To me they just came off as..goofy. Hammy. Ridiculous. Nothing else.

I mentioned one exception and that's Fiona Shaw as Petunia. The movies don't give her much to do, but in the first one she has a small monologue about how much she hates her sister, and I think she killed it. Venom and hatred dripped off her. I'm honestly, genuinely, getting goosebumps right now just thinking about it.

I remember seeing an interview where Shaw said something like 'a lot of people see the Dursleys as caricatures, but I don't see them that way at all. A lot of people treat their kids as badly as the Dursleys treat Harry.' And I'm like, fuck, she gets it.

• Options
    Is Welcome to Marwen going to be any good? I know it's the meme de jour right now, but I was really looking forward to something warm and schmaltzy this holiday season and the more we inch closer to it's release without a review, the more I feel it'll be super dumb and overly-schmaltzy.

• Options
    I think the Dursleys are appropriately comic in the original Chris Columbus movie; making them realistically abusive would have damaged the tone of that first entry. It was really on later movies to try and deepen them, but by that point the Dursleys were really an afterthought.

I don’t blame the movies so much as the books, which brought them on in the beginning to act as kind of minor villainous foils for the noble adolescent hero but also never really engaged with them in the same serious way that the rest of the characters got to over time. They’re characters from a Roald Dahl novel who eventually find themselves in a Roald Dahl short story world, sidelined from it rather than grown up into it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    The movies were more or less fine but they always felt like a bit of a highlight reel from the actual books where all the major beats are hit but all the nuance and theme is stripped out.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Is Welcome to Marwen going to be any good? I know it's the meme de jour right now, but I was really looking forward to something warm and schmaltzy this holiday season and the more we inch closer to it's release without a review, the more I feel it'll be super dumb and overly-schmaltzy.

I have heard there is an abundance of shmaltz, and that the Documentary was better.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Penny Marshall died, RIP.

So this Christmas go watch Big and A League of Their Own to remember her best works, and even Jumpin Jack Flash. (but ignore Renaissance Man)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    A League Of Their Own is the movie that brings me close to tears more often than any other. It’s a brilliant movie.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    In the vein of space movies I was working from home yesterday and put on Passengers for the second time while I worked because I couldn't remember how it ended for the life of me.

Pratt's character in it is the worst and the whole thing would've been a lot better if it made a hard u-turn into psychological thriller/horror kind of movie instead of what we got. I mean, it would be a total tonal shift but would've been far more interesting if they could've maintained Lawrence's level of terror she shows when she finds out that Pratt's character woke her up.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The movies were more or less fine but they always felt like a bit of a highlight reel from the actual books where all the major beats are hit but all the nuance and theme is stripped out.

Never read the books, watched the films. Just because they exist and they're such a huge thing.

Didn't like the earlier ones, but I felt the tone was fine for the age group it was aimed at.

Really liked 5 and 6, 7 was p good.

The tent scene was magnificently done.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    It’s on Netflix at the start of the year

Noice!

• Options
    edited December 2018

Never read the books, watched the films. Just because they exist and they're such a huge thing.

Didn't like the earlier ones, but I felt the tone was fine for the age group it was aimed at.

Its been quite a while since I've seen any of the movies so maybe I'm incorrect in this, but the books spend a lot of time exploring the harm caused by multi-generational conflict and the nuanced nature of good and bad as they relate to people and I don't recall much of that making it into the movies.

Like they hit the big beat of "Oh but was Snape all an asshole" but skip over
    Sirius is cruel to his family's house elf because he reminds him of the cruelty he faced at home and his anger at being trapped in his childhood home. His cruelty causes Kreacher to betray him and leads to his own death.

I think they also cut out Lupin's confrontation with Harry in book 7. For her other faults as a writer, she did a good job of creating people who weren't all noble or villainy.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Honestly my favourite "set in actual space" movie ever is maybe Apollo 13

That movie is awesome

The Martian

Maybe just because I enjoy his misery of listening to disco.

I also love a movie making a Council of Elrond joke with a cast member that was actually at the Council of Elrond.

welcome-to-rivendell.jpg

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The trailer for Vice is pretty great. I would never have guessed who that was playing Cheney if I didn't already know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO3GsRQO0dM

Already glad to see it on the Hair & Makeup Oscar shortlist.

Jazz on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2018

Its been quite a while since I've seen any of the movies so maybe I'm incorrect in this, but the books spend a lot of time exploring the harm caused by multi-generational conflict and the nuanced nature of good and bad as they relate to people and I don't recall much of that making it into the movies.

Sirius is cruel to his family's house elf because he reminds him of the cruelty he faced at home and his anger at being trapped in his childhood home. His cruelty causes Kreacher to betray him and leads to his own death.

I think they also cut out Lupin's confrontation with Harry in book 7. For her other faults as a writer, she did a good job of creating people who weren't all noble or villainy.

I felt like it was kind of present
    In Draco, who I kind of felt some sympathetic leanings towards as the series hit the finale, and how Harry's dad was kind of a dick

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The trailer for Vice is pretty great. I would never have guessed who that was playing Cheney if I didn't already know.

Already glad to see it on the Hair & Makeup Oscar shortlist.

According to early reviews that's really the major seller. To sum up early reviews, the movie is kind of a boring mess, but watching Bale transform is worth the ticket price.

I'm late to the space movie conversation, but I think Pitch Black gets talked down a lot. It was always a movie on TV that I would stop flicking through channels to watch. Really good B-Movie Sci-fi.

• Options
    Pitch Black is great.

And nothing else has ever been made from that IP.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

I felt like it was kind of present
    In Draco, who I kind of felt some sympathetic leanings towards as the series hit the finale, and how Harry's dad was kind of a dick
    Harry's Dad was a total dick when he was younger. That is part of why he has such contempt for Harry.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Pitch Black is great.

Vin Diesel and Dame Judy Dench played D&D while filming Chronicles of Riddick.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    I love that Dench had no idea what was going on in those movies but had a great time with the costumes and stuff.

Shes a treasure.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Pitch Black is great.

There was at least one excellent video game as well.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Pitch Black is great.

Vin Diesel has such fantastic physical presence in that movie.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Pitch Black is great.

Vin Diesel has such fantastic physical presence in that movie.
    Not really a spaaaaaaace movie for me. Unless you count that single scene with the falling monkey wrench. Sci-fi horror certainly.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.