As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Movie] Was Perfected In 1974

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Agreed, it’s a very anti-period piece

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    It’s not trippy, just profane and intense. It’s the least Lanthimos Lanthimos by far.

This is what I have heard, absolutely

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I just got done watching Solo: A Star Wars Story. Okay, it was fine. A serviceable sci fi movie. I want a Lando movie now with Donald Glover.

It makes absolutely no sense why there isn’t currently release dates for a Lando movie with Glover and a Kenobi movie with McGregor.

I’d be incredibly satisfied with a Jabba series with Kenobi and Lando side stories within.

I skipped Solo in theaters and I was surprised when I skipped right past it on Netflix. Everything relevant to the movies for Solo's backstory was presented in about five minutes on Mos Eisley, there's just nothing I want to know about him with a re-re-done backstory.

The last thing I want is more films about main or secondary characters from any of the trilogies. Show me a Rogue Squadron or Wraith Squadron series instead, where we get something interesting, hasn't been in a film/series before, (almost) totally avoids Jedi anything, and features a pile of new characters or new situations instead of just playing it prequel safe with character backstories that didn't even need to be told.

It does seem they've learned their lesson here since solo. It's not the avengers and the world isn't interested in the origins of already established characters. No one has ever demanded to know where han learned to be a rogue, he's just a rogue.

And anything focusing on time between the ot and pt as well. It's be nice to a kotor film eventually. And not find a way to put Chewbacca in a film set thousands of years earlier.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ok, is it "The Favorite" or "Your Favorite" or are there both titles existing atm and I'm getting super confused?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just got done watching Solo: A Star Wars Story. Okay, it was fine. A serviceable sci fi movie. I want a Lando movie now with Donald Glover.

It makes absolutely no sense why there isn’t currently release dates for a Lando movie with Glover and a Kenobi movie with McGregor.

I’d be incredibly satisfied with a Jabba series with Kenobi and Lando side stories within.

Step 1 was releasing a divisive movie that also managed to piss off a bunch of noisy alt-right dinguses
    Step 2 was releasing a thoroughly average movie that nobody was really asking for.

Disney has since panicked and is trying to figure out how they need to pivot to make good on their investment.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

Solo's lukewarm performance spooked Disney and they took the wrong lesson I think

Sitting in my local thee aiter to watch the Favourite. Hope Atomika's happy

Sitting in my local thee aiter to watch the Favourite. Hope Atomika's happy

Yes!

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Solo's lukewarm performance spooked Disney and they took the wrong lesson I think

Kind of. I think they did realise that Star Wars is not Marvel, as crazy as that sounds. You can't just shit out any old movie and expect it to dominate just because of the brand. And that's all true. But I think at the same time they've drastically understimated how much of the failure is due to the movie itself and it just being bad. A bad idea in the first place, badly executed and marketed badly.

shryke wrote: »

Kind of. I think they did realise that Star Wars is not Marvel, as crazy as that sounds. You can't just shit out any old movie and expect it to dominate just because of the brand. And that's all true. But I think at the same time they've drastically understimated how much of the failure is due to the movie itself and it just being bad. A bad idea in the first place, badly executed and marketed badly.

Pretty regular occurence at Hollywood. Otherwise it requires you to admit you screwed up, better to say the trends weren't what you expected.

Also The Favourite is P good

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I think Solo was fine

There weren't many laugh out loud moments in The Favourite obviously, but one hit a home run with me, despite its heavy subject matter
    "Have you come here to seduce me or rape me?"

"I am a gentleman."

"Rape, then."

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    havent been keeping up with thread but have any denizens seen "you were never really here"? very much enjoyed it in an alienating well-shot kind of way

obF2Wuw.png
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think the difference between Marvel and Star Wars is that the latter has been part of pop culture so long that we feel we know everything relevant about these characters already. Nobody has any questions about Luke or Han or Leia. Their stories can't go anywhere in the future and we don't care about the past.

Marvel though is an ongoing story about new characters. If they put out a new Thor movie, nobody knows where that's going to head. Like, after Thor 2, did anybody know where Ragnarok was going to go?

If Marvel tried to put out a movie about what happened to Tony before Iron Man, or about what happened to Thor between 1 and 2, I don't think it would fare much better than Solo. But then Marvel isn't doing that. It's giving us Captain Marvel and Black Panther and the Adorable Spiderman because that's the shit we want.

I think they could absolutely make spin off movies with side characters from Star Wars that would be crazy successful. But they don't want to risk anything with new characters and storylines.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    Also, is there a more boring question in Star Wars than “Who is Han Solo?” His character was 100% defined in the first three minutes we meet him in ANH. “Roguish. Leveraged. Good pilot. Charming. Possibly criminal. Definitely deadly. Has nice dog. Got it.”

• SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Solo was just kind of bland from the start, swelling dramatic music for some kid hotwiring a car. It's a movie that wanted to coast on how awesome its protagonist is, in a prequel that's supposed to establish why he's awesome and the closest they came to doing that was the part where he
    shot first

Seal on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Solo was likely the last character in Star Wars I wanted to have a backstory film dedicated to. But that said it was fine.

PSN: Honkalot
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Atomika wrote: »
    Also, is there a more boring question in Star Wars than “Who is Han Solo?” His character was 100% defined in the first three minutes we meet him in ANH. “Roguish. Leveraged. Good pilot. Charming. Possibly criminal. Definitely deadly. Has nice dog. Got it.”
    that’s why it should have revolved around his costar instead

CHEWIE
    A Star Wars Story

wandering on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We have a Star wars thread

Also please use spoilers

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    If we're doing 21st century, the short list would contain the likes of Fury Road, Prometheus, BR 2049, possibly Interstellar, possibly Inception.

Edit: Throw some No Country For Old Men in there.

I still think It Follows is one of the best shot movies of recent years.

That outdoor scene with the 360 degree shot while It approaches in the background is masterful.

I'd also throw Dark City in for the 20th, but just because I love that film.

wVEsyIc.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think the difference between Marvel and Star Wars is that the latter has been part of pop culture so long that we feel we know everything relevant about these characters already. Nobody has any questions about Luke or Han or Leia. Their stories can't go anywhere in the future and we don't care about the past.

Marvel though is an ongoing story about new characters. If they put out a new Thor movie, nobody knows where that's going to head. Like, after Thor 2, did anybody know where Ragnarok was going to go?

If Marvel tried to put out a movie about what happened to Tony before Iron Man, or about what happened to Thor between 1 and 2, I don't think it would fare much better than Solo. But then Marvel isn't doing that. It's giving us Captain Marvel and Black Panther and the Adorable Spiderman because that's the shit we want.

I think they could absolutely make spin off movies with side characters from Star Wars that would be crazy successful. But they don't want to risk anything with new characters and storylines.

I don’t think that’s a Star Wars thing, I think it’s just a prequel thing. The financial rewards of making a prequel have risen (you want to stick with your franchise but progressing the story is risky) while filmgoers as a whole are more interested in TV-style narrative progression and narratives of simple tension (will our heroes beat Thanos or not?) than they are comic book style narrative progression (constantly turning back on itself to redo origins and reveal backstory) and narratives of foregone conclusion (tragedies seem a lot less popular these days, outside of Nicholas Sparks movies).

The new Star Wars episodes demonstrate sufficiently for me that the characters we know and love can have interesting futures—even if those futures are often a matter of returning in failure to who they used to be—but that a vocal minority of the fandom doesn’t want to accept that.

That part IS a Star Wars thing, probably the result of the content freeze between the early 80s and the late 90s (and then bad content, and then no content again for a long time...). If for some reason you made Marvel wait 18 years to continue their cinematic universe, a lot of people would be deeply angry at any attempt to change the characters beyond where they are now. Time and age turn a saga into nostalgia frozen in amber. That’s not a limitation on storytelling, just on what some people are willing to let go.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

A friend summarized the problem with Solo for me. It feels like a giant checklist of nostalgic points. "Kessel Run? Check. Smuggling? Check. Winning the Falcon? Check. How'd he get his name? Oh sure, why not."

Rogue One also touches on nostalgia, but it does it while being original, and having the most badass fleet battle since Return of the Jedi.

wVEsyIc.png
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/9Hl203g5k3Y

I give you more than anyone has ever thought about the legend of chun li.

His final conclusion is the most correct anyone has ever been.

He cited a better one in his own film, the original Street Fighter. That, Mortal Kombat, the first Resident Evil, and Silent Hill round out my top list.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I may post this in the Star Wars thread because of the mod comment but i wanted to say that a good heist movie is something audiences like and a Solo movie could have been a good heist movie. They focused on the wrong things.

For cinematography a lot of great movies were already listed but i'd add Alien or even Aliens. There's a feeling that is transferred deep into the being by the way those scenes are shot.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/9Hl203g5k3Y

I give you more than anyone has ever thought about the legend of chun li.

His final conclusion is the most correct anyone has ever been.

He cited a better one in his own film, the original Street Fighter. That, Mortal Kombat, the first Resident Evil, and Silent Hill round out my top list.

None of them have 3 Marios for the price of 2, so this can't be correct.

• JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    havent been keeping up with thread but have any denizens seen "you were never really here"? very much enjoyed it in an alienating well-shot kind of way

Best sound editing 2018. Completely drives the film and without it would have resulted in a completely different movie. Joaquin Phoenix is a fucking powerhouse in that film, both as an actor and as a physical presence.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The thing that gets me about Solo is that they fired the original directing team and replaced them with Ron Howard. One of the few directors out there that can compete with Spielberg in being both a great director and a director of broad popularity movies for a mass audience. And Solo is what he manages to create? It must have been further along in production then we where let to believe.

And then Lord and Miller, the original directors write one of the best semi-standalone movies of the year with Into the Spider-verse.

Like something here does not add up.

Edit. Oh and if we can just fit the pieces together right, we would have had a smash hit.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Oh wow, never thought of it like that.

It's like if a single director was afforded the opportunity to finish their vision it would have been a success.

Now I really want to see the Lord and Miller cut.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    I'm of the opinion that Spielberg hasn't been good since 1998, so Ron Howard being on par with him and churning out Solo is about right.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess that Lord & Miller's take was a little too off the wall and outside of "normal" Star Wars for Disney's comfort.

Disney wanted the pat on the back for taking the risk of hiring a comedy duo to take on Solo, but then got cold feet when they did what they normally do.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Since 1998 Spielberg has made Minority Report, Lincoln and Bridge of Spies: all excellent.

jimb213 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess that Lord & Miller's take was a little too off the wall and outside of "normal" Star Wars for Disney's comfort.

Disney wanted the pat on the back for taking the risk of hiring a comedy duo to take on Solo, but then got cold feet when they did what they normally do.

Aren't they the ones who went on to make the much better Spider-Verse?

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    read my post dude.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Since 1998 Spielberg has made Minority Report, Lincoln and Bridge of Spies: all excellent.

I thought bridge of spies was mediocre at best. It felt like a paint by numbers Oscar swing.

Lincoln was great, but part of me would have liked James Spader for two hours corraling politicians as civil war era Alan Shore.

I am in the business of saving lives.

Pretty regular occurence at Hollywood. Otherwise it requires you to admit you screwed up, better to say the trends weren't what you expected.

Also The Favourite is P good

That's the funny thing though because the production history of Solo strongly suggests they at least thought the project was falling apart. I mean, yeah, they got Ron Howard in for extensive reshoots but I would hope even then you'd know that's probably not enough. It doesn't really seem like they had any illusions on that front.They already thought they'd fucked up. They just hoped somehow the brand would save it. (Narrator: It didn't.)

Kipling217 wrote: »
    The thing that gets me about Solo is that they fired the original directing team and replaced them with Ron Howard. One of the few directors out there that can compete with Spielberg in being both a great director and a director of broad popularity movies for a mass audience. And Solo is what he manages to create? It must have been further along in production then we where let to believe.

And then Lord and Miller, the original directors write one of the best semi-standalone movies of the year with Into the Spider-verse.

Like something here does not add up.

Edit. Oh and if we can just fit the pieces together right, we would have had a smash hit.

I don't think I'd really agree on Howard there. I think his oeuvre is overall just kinda ok. There's a few ones I remember being decent but nothing that's ever jumped out at me. He's the safe choice. That's why they brought him in. And he delivered the safest movie he could while picking up whatever pieces he was left with after Lord and Miller were thrown out the door.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Ron Howard’s is the one director in Hollywood capable of being even more generic tha Spielberg

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ron Howard’s is the one director in Hollywood capable of being even more generic tha Spielberg

Then he turns around and creates The Grinch which is an endless cavalcade of what the fuckery.

Ron Howard is a schmaltzy hack and always has been. Do not extoll his virtues, they are few.

This discussion has been closed.