As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Tg0zvn0l.jpg

#democracysausage

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Simon caving to Bunnings on the placement of onions.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    That was how the rotary folks gave it to me

I am a victim here

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I worked today and by the time I got around to voting the BBQ had been packed up.

Antony Green just called the election for Labor.

9ccdajvp13j1.png

Edit: Labor to hold somewhere between 55-60 seats.

Edit 2: The Liberal member holding Hawthorn had a 10% swing against him in his safe seat and just lost his seat while on air.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Nice. I'm glad my state rejected the Law and Order sable rattling. I'd have been disappointed if Labor hadn't gained ground given how monumentally terrible both state and federal Libs have been.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Some unexpected wins for Labor means they might go over 60.

Quite a few younger candidates have won too which is very encouraging.

gr562ufrprpl.png

Josh Frydenberg trying to spin the results by saying that the Liberal party has had encouraging results in SA and Tassie.

Edit: List of electorate tallies/swings.

Edit 2: The best burn I've seen so far was the member for Bentleigh saying that the streets were so dangerous that his constituents were afraid to leave their homes.

They did apparently manage to work up enough courage to leave the house and vote him out in droves.

Kelor on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    SHIT!

I totally forgot they have sausages at these things.

And here I thought I was being smart for doing a postal vote in advance.

How could I be so so careless!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    SHIT!

I totally forgot they have sausages at these things.

And here I thought I was being smart for doing a postal vote in advance.

How could I be so so careless!

You can still go to a polling place and pat democracy dogs, get a democracy sausage, and maybe even a democracy lamington to really put a topper on the day. Just don't try to vote again and you won't have any problems!

• Options
    Greens have passed a motion along with the crossbench and Labor to establish a federal level ICAC.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Greens have passed a motion along with the crossbench and Labor to establish a federal level ICAC.

While it's a good first step, I won't hold my breath that it'll be anything more than a paper tiger. Hope I'm wrong, but given how most of these things play out (like fuel pricing), I'll be surprised if it's got any teeth.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Put it forward, win government, remaining libs get criminal charges for corruption.
    Be a pretty good new year in my books.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Put it forward, win government, remaining libs get criminal charges for corruption.
    Be a pretty good new year in my books.

It's more I'm not confident that the Labor party is completely pure on the issue (as we saw with the foreign citizenship clusterfuck), and so I can see them watering it down to next to meaningless.

And being used as a partisan tool does it no better. Fucking hate the naked fearstoking the conservatives are moving towards (Pauline Hanson and Clive Palmer* should be bipartisan jokes, but the Right take them too seriously), but the partisanship we see in the US about using governmental bodies to directly attack political opponents is not something I want to see replicated here.

* Make Australia Great? Fuck outta here, Clive, you cunt.

• Options
    Sure.
    But I reckon the remaining libs in deeply held liberal seats are more likely to be crooks, what with the continued union/big business mates back and forth that always pervades the halls.
    I mean, Clive Palmer should at least be rolled up by any ICAC cause of his treatment of his own employees.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    More pragmatically, I'm concerned about how the scope of the ICAC would be defined.
    I would hope the Great Barrier Reef Rort would be covered.
    But the Libs receiving donations from business to push the goals of business, or Clive's naked grabs for power to further his own interests, would seem to be more the natural way of politics, and harder to point towards as corruption.
    Perhaps Dutton's Au Pairs though.

I'm also relatively optimistic that the Libs will be handed a devastating electoral defeat next year, as they have shown quite how desperate they are to maintain power for their own ends.
    Such that any ICAC 'partisanship' would be mopping up the dregs.
    But I guess I shouldn't get quite so excited this early.

discrider on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I keep seeing Clive Palmer ads on TV, they are so obviously evoking Trump that it is insulting and they make me angry.
    My hope is that he gets demolished electorally in a repudiation of everything he stands for* and the Australian public makes it very clear that we are not having any of that Trump'ish nonsense here.
    That said, I live in QLD and I know he is going to get an alarming number of votes here because QLD gunna QLD.

*honestly I think its just naked coattail riding, hoping to grab a demographic he is only courting for the votes.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Suriko wrote: »
    Reading the Liberal Party's take on the Victorian wipeout:
    DCuWG6d.jpg

They seem absolutely incapable of introspection. Ted Baillieu is making all the right noises:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-26/ted-baillieu-victorian-liberal-michael-kroger-jeff-kennett/10556502

But nobody seems to be listening. The rest of the party seem to think that they just need to do what they're already doing, but more. I'm also hearing rumblings that Scomo might not last the week which would put my schadenfreude meter through the roof.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    DCuWG6d.jpg

They seem absolutely incapable of introspection. Ted Baillieu is making all the right noises:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-26/ted-baillieu-victorian-liberal-michael-kroger-jeff-kennett/10556502

But nobody seems to be listening. The rest of the party seem to think that they just need to do what they're already doing, but more. I'm also hearing rumblings that Scomo might not last the week which would put my schadenfreude meter through the roof.

I swear to God, if we don't manage to get through the first ten fucking pages of this thread without a new PM...

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Well we officially have a minority government.
    The Morrison government has suffered a body blow to its control of Parliament with outspoken MP Julia Banks quitting the Liberals to sit on the crossbench in a blistering verdict on the party’s direction.

Ms Banks, one of the Liberals’ star recruits at the last federal election, will join other independents in the House of Representatives after months of frustration over the party’s treatment of women and disunity over energy and climate change.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-government-shock-julia-banks-quits-the-liberal-party-to-sit-on-the-crossbench-20181127-p50il8.html

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I mean, I don't want to sound rude, but perhaps Australia wants to borrow our government for a bit?

It's not perfect, but it seems to broadly function for entire parliamentary terms, frequently for several!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    In the (hopefully short) era of ScoMo, I've actually been thinking of nicknames previous PMs might have had.

I mean, everyone knew K-Rudd, and I think Trumble and Hawkey got enough use to count.

But from 96-07, why didn't we hear about JoHo? Did anyone refer to our first PM as 'Bartsy'? Was William McMahon BillyMac?

Somewhere out there, is HaHo still alive after being picked up by a Chinese sub?

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    DCuWG6d.jpg

I swear to God, if we don't manage to get through the first ten fucking pages of this thread without a new PM...

we'll make a new thread with the same title.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    DCuWG6d.jpg

we'll make a new thread with the same title.

Quick and dirty MS Paint job.

2h7bl9cjwi71.png

• Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Well we officially have a minority government.
    The Morrison government has suffered a body blow to its control of Parliament with outspoken MP Julia Banks quitting the Liberals to sit on the crossbench in a blistering verdict on the party’s direction.

Ms Banks, one of the Liberals’ star recruits at the last federal election, will join other independents in the House of Representatives after months of frustration over the party’s treatment of women and disunity over energy and climate change.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-government-shock-julia-banks-quits-the-liberal-party-to-sit-on-the-crossbench-20181127-p50il8.html

I think the unfortunate reality of this is that unless dissenting MPs are willing to bring forward the election, or otherwise oppose the government, then this is rats fleeing from a sinking ship for their own political safety.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Depends on why the dissenting MPs are dissenting. So if it's considering a "get fucked, Dutton" motion, then the numbers may well be with the Opposition

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Depends on why the dissenting MPs are dissenting. So if it's considering a "get fucked, Dutton" motion, then the numbers may well be with the Opposition

Yeah, I'd find it hard to oppose "get fucked, Dutton" as a political platform.

While I personally tend towards leftist policies, I'm not opposed to voting Liberal when Labor are proving massively incompetent*. But there's simply no way I'll mark Liberals above anyone except Hanson/Palmer parties if it means a likelihood of Dutton (or Abbott) being PM.

* I know we don't vote for a Prime Minister, or Premier, or even party, but if the leader is a dipshit, voting for someone who supports as leader of their party, said dipshit, then I'll vote against them. Not that it matters. My electorate hasn't sent anyone but ALP to either state or federal office in over 30 years.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    So Labor managed to get the budget estimates moved April 4-5, when the government originally had them scheduled for May. Which was conveniently when the federal election was.

So now they have to do their budget a month before the federal election.

• Options
    <~<
    I'm not sure I get it
    How does that prevent the inevitable 'MONEY FOR EVERYONE' (but we're robbing Peter to pay some other charity)

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A month is plenty of time for the public to forget and for new things to happen.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    It’s more that it’s harder for it to get lost in the election hubbub on news sites. It’ll be well reported on exactly what they’re planning. If they pull a switcheroo, then that will be obvious.

It’s easy to say ‘people will forget’ but if we’re resorting to that, why are we even discussing politics? People have largely forgotten a lot of things we discuss here.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    A month is plenty of time for the public to forget and for new things to happen.

Also plenty of time for the Labor party to find out what the LNP are sabotaging to get that money.

If it dropped on the election "Everybody gets a pony!", that's a huge boost.

If there's a month to show that by getting the pony means they shoot your dog, and the pony is only going to be on loan to you for a month, that's not so much a boost.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

How do satirists even make a living these days

Alcoholism, I would guess.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular

How do satirists even make a living these days

Ah yes, a multi trillion dollar foreign owned company. The quintessential "Aussie battler".

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    With all the hubbub in Australia I forgot to post some interesting happenings in NZ politics. There's been a bunch of discussion about China buying NZ politicians. And a professor being threatened in a Chinese language NZ newspaper and her home being burgled.

I'm afraid I've only caught snippets of it on the radio on the way to work, and it was a week or two ago now. Oh, and something to do with a 5G Spark network being potentially compromised by China? That's probably something to do with the other recent news that China has been putting chips in devices (well, extra chips).

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Extra chips? Meh. Now if they slip me an extra curly fry in with chips? I'll vote whichever way they like.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Ooh, I like this one:
    sdQo6kwRQkhUsxNs_O5Cgiwn4WdvjqHKyhwQFTVm4Hw.jpg?width=750&auto=webp&s=c4b0e8c5833883573fe8e0ae9a924b9cd68e9c21

For context, Scott Morrison has been saying that the kids protesting climate change should be "less activist". Also, the fact that I started typing "Malcolm Turnbull" instead of "Scott Morrison" because I'd momentarily forgotten who the Prime Minister is really perfectly encapsulates our current government.

• Options
    This goddamn government.
    But the protests have sparked their own reaction among key members of the Federal Government who have used commercial radio to dress down the students.

Resources Minister Matt Canavan said the only thing children would be learn from the protest was how to collect government benefits.

"Walking off school and protesting, you don't learn anything from that," he told Sydney radio station 2GB.

"The best thing you learn about going to a protest is how to join the dole queue.

"That's what your future life will look like, up in a line asking for a handout, not actually taking charge of your life and getting a real job."

Mr Canavan said he instead supported children learning science.

"I want kids to be at school to learn about how you build a mine, how you do geology, how you drill for oil and gas, which is one of the most remarkable scientific exploits of anywhere in the world that we do," he said.

"These are the type of things excite young children."

• Options
    But you don’t learn how to build mines or drill for oil at school.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine a possible explanation for Matt Canavan apart from him being obviously corrupt to a horrifying degree and getting buckets of cash from adani. When his political career inevitably falls apart if he doesn't immediately get an Andrew Robb style position with Adani I'll be utterly shocked.

This discussion has been closed.