As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    633y44t1v5be.jpg

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    She was a lot less enthusiastic about what you'll be able to do when we reach 70% double dose vaccinations today.

Yesterday it was 'you'll be able to go and do everything you've been missing out on doing', and today it was 'life will be different for double dose vaccinated people than it is right now, if you want to go and see someone, you should be able to do that'.

Maybe someone in her inner circle told her to stop promising stuff she's not going to deliver?

steam_sig.png
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Oh my who would possibly have imagined there could be any chance of favours being traded in these circumstances.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    My shocked face.

Will that be the same shocked face you will have when there are no consequences for this?

While we're not as bad as the US, the lack of accountability for corruption in Australia is really disheartening.

Dunno if it's always been this bad and we just were in the dark, or if they've been emboldened by seeing nothing come of it.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So

NZ folks

I might be a bit biased but

Is Judith Collins handling this all wrong? Like, I only see bits and pieces of things but it really feels like ages doing whatever she can to throw whatever she can set the wall to try and get good press and it's just not happening?

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    She's always been terrible. The only reason she's leader is because no one else wants it at the moment.

Looking ahead to 2023, if the Pfizer vaccine fades and Delta is aggressive like in Israel, we may see a change in people's opinion of the government. Leaving the door open for a different National leader to step in. Things are good now but there's no guarantee that they'll last. We've been very lucky with covid and the success in that area can only paper over other issues for so long.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    So

NZ folks

I might be a bit biased but

Is Judith Collins handling this all wrong? Like, I only see bits and pieces of things but it really feels like ages doing whatever she can to throw whatever she can set the wall to try and get good press and it's just not happening?

It seems the reflexive action on her part is to attack the current government. The issue is that she is also being extremely inconsistent on what, and more or less changes on what the criticism is based on the current issue, while also ignoring any hypocrisy - so, when going up against a group with a consistent message with relatively high approval, the impression one gets is of wild flailing for purchase.

The latest points on the MIQ system is kind of a case study - their proposal hits several of the same points as the revised system that was already announced - just, 2 days later. Forcing parliament to be opened - could have been done remotely, and her insistence that it couldn't have been came off as more than a little unhinged, and also exposed more than a little hypocrisy ( remember criticism of Green MPs traveling last time?)

n57PM0C.jpg
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Yeah, she comes across as handling it poorly. I'm general the vibe I get from Collins is attack, attack attack.

Which leads to just tuning her out because it's not actually presenting solutions, it's just pure contrayism

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Wife just got a UAP text appealing to ant Vax with an "adverse effects of vax" bullshit link.

Uh... holy shit surely that's too far

steam_sig.png
    Wife just got a UAP text appealing to ant Vax with an "adverse effects of vax" bullshit link.

Yup. That shit needs to stop. I think politics shouldn't be exempt from the Do Not Call registry, but especially shit like that.

Also, as is often stated, eat shit, Clive.

If I didn't hate you enough already, this would be enough. UAP behind both majors along with Hanson and Anning. Yes, I'd prefer a Liberal majority than any of these assholes having power.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

I got the same message. I'm sure they sent it because they're genuinely interested in informing people about vaccines and not just because its a sure-fire way to capture the 10% of anti-vax crazies at the next elections.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Interesting development. Yesterday, ScoMo's minister for employment was asked about opening up at 70% and said how Delta changed everything and they're concerned about the amount of ICU beds available and the plan the National Cabinet agreed to was subject to change if required.

This is on top of Gladys last week tripling the amount of ICU beds and staff available, and then today being called out on their data modelling, with a journalist pointing out she'd been saying the hospitalization rate is 5.5% while NSW Health says 11%.

I'm thinking now we might be on the verge of some epic level backpedaling on opening at 70% if Sydneys case numbers have not come down.

-Loki- wrote: »
    Interesting development. Yesterday, ScoMo's minister for employment was asked about opening up at 70% and said how Delta changed everything and they're concerned about the amount of ICU beds available and the plan the National Cabinet agreed to was subject to change if required.

This is on top of Gladys last week tripling the amount of ICU beds and staff available, and then today being called out on their data modelling, with a journalist pointing out she'd been saying the hospitalization rate is 5.5% while NSW Health says 11%.

I'm thinking now we might be on the verge of some epic level backpedaling on opening at 70% if Sydneys case numbers have not come down.

Isn't the issue then, now, that there is no way to bring case numbers down without tighter lockdowns, for which there is no longer any ability for the government to enforce

n57PM0C.jpg
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Isn't the issue then, now, that there is no way to bring case numbers down without tighter lockdowns, for which there is no longer any ability for the government to enforce

Would lockdowns even help NSW any more? In Vic we're locked down, and our numbers aren't going down. Maybe stricter lockdowns would slow the spread, but I think their numbers would keep going up any way.

Once you're locked down the only thing is time. And it seems like it's a minimum of two weeks.

If the cases aren't going down and elimination is eliminated, they're still flattened. So a lengthy lockdown that doesn't prevent cases rising is still effective.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Like, even if you're going to have everyone catch Covid regardless and the same number hospitalised, lockdowns are the difference between everyone getting sick at once and half of them not getting hospital beds, and everyone getting sick over several weeks and everyone who needs hospital care getting hospital care.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm not gonna lie

there's a vindictive part of me

that really wishes the rest of the country was back on Level 4 with me and I didn't feel quite so alone.

In nonCOVID news. I know nothing about the Three Waters reform aside from the fact there's some controversy. But the patronising pro-Three Waters adverts on the telly are making me anti TW. Maybe the side that doesn't treat people like a three year old is the right one?

i'm not gonna lie

there's a vindictive part of me

that really wishes the rest of the country was back on Level 4 with me and I didn't feel quite so alone.

I can sympathize. However, for one thing - you're not alone! About a fifth of the country is right there with you. If you want something more direct, I'm also in that with you.

I mean, I can't knit, craft or do anything particularly useful, apart from not quite kill my garden, but I am definitely stuck at home while not doing those things, so I have some common ground.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Three Waters reform isn't perfect, but it's so much better than what is in place currently it's like complaining about the fly in your bowl of unprocessed raw sewage taken directly from the overflow outlet next to the kids swimming hole.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    edited September 2021
    EDIT: probably in bad taste

discrider on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    In nonCOVID news. I know nothing about the Three Waters reform aside from the fact there's some controversy. But the patronising pro-Three Waters adverts on the telly are making me anti TW. Maybe the side that doesn't treat people like a three year old is the right one?

This has been a common criticism. I think it's just a marketing whiff, trying to emulate some other popular private campaigns that lean into silliness, i.e. Pak'N'Save or Skinny. I agree it doesn't land.

I think in general terms, the TW reform is a good idea. There are definitely going to be some losers (the councils that have been responsibly investing in infrastructure over the years and will effectively be subsidising the uplift for others), but it's clear that the current model isn't working. Having this stuff managed locally works if and only if local government is incentivised to actually maintain services properly. Obviously, at least for some areas, that has not been the case. It's not going to fix itself and short of a better suggestion I don't really see a path forward other than centralising control.

edited September 2021
    Antoshka wrote: »

Would lockdowns even help NSW any more? In Vic we're locked down, and our numbers aren't going down. Maybe stricter lockdowns would slow the spread, but I think their numbers would keep going up any way.

As said, if it manages to flatten it rather than have it increase, then it's also doing its job. But in NSW, it's not. Their hope is double dose vaccinations rising will start to bring the cases down, but from what we've seen, we've hit 40% double dose and it's still rising, that's not happening either.

So the gamble comes from when do you open up. Do you open up with thousands of cases a day and hope your health system can cope with the influx, or wait for it to drop to safer levels?

Hint - NSW's health system can't, since the same LNP that got us into this mess also spent couple of decades tearing apart our public health system because they want ours to be like Americas.

Their main concern is going to be optics - the optics of hospitals turning sick people away to die in their homes/on the streets isn't going to be good for them.

They keep saying that this is like the flu and we have to learn to live with it, but the fact that we essentially eliminated the flu season the last two years with all of our social distancing but this has us locked down and still rapidly spreading even with rising vaccine coverage shows it's really not, and our health system will probably collapse.

They could open up in a limited way - go back to patron limits in venues and events, mandating hand sanitizers and social distancing in shopping centers, etc. But I doubt they want to, because it will still look like a broken promise.

-Loki- on
    edited September 2021
    And we just hit over 900 ICU admission in NSW.

Until Gladys tripled the ICU capacity last week, we didn’t even have 900 ICU beds in the state.

NSW hospitals are preparing to go to ‘code black’, which is alternative bedding arrangements such as ventilating patients in operating rooms and ICU nurses looking after more than one patient.

And after saying our cases will peak mid October for the last few weeks, today they changed their mind and it’s peaking next week?

-Loki- on

Until Gladys tripled the ICU capacity last week, we didn’t even have 900 ICU beds in the state.

NSW hospitals are preparing to go to ‘code black’, which is alternative bedding arrangements such as ventilating patients in operating rooms and ICU nurses looking after more than one patient.

And after saying our cases will peak mid October for the last few weeks, today they changed their mind and it’s peaking next week?

As someone who works in a hospital, that sounds confusing. A code black is an armed or significant threat patient/visitor. Code grey if aggressive but not a significant threat (usually confused elderly).

MorganV wrote: »

As someone who works in a hospital, that sounds confusing. A code black is an armed or significant threat patient/visitor. Code grey if aggressive but not a significant threat (usually confused elderly).

The article probably used the wrong terminology. The gist of the article was ‘we still don’t have enough beds or staff’.

Sorry for my whinging yesterday. I was in a bad brain place. I know that y'all are all doing the same and for longer.

I just really want my kid to go to school

Trampolines are pretty great in lockdown if you've got a yard and a kid.
    They've got safety netting now rather than just being oblong injury traps.
    We got one at the beginning of the year, and now the neighbours have the same one.
    Definitely recommend to get kid's energy levels down.

I wish we had land flat enough.

But we live in the top of the hill and there's not a single area of our yard that's flat enough for a trampoline.

I've been kicking her out there last few days to blow bubbles. And paint cardboard boxes. And playdough

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    MorganV wrote: »

Black status is something used by some NHS hospitals for "there are no beds free and we must make do, and get everyone we can from a bed out"

Tastyfish on
    I wish we had land flat enough.

But we live in the top of the hill and there's not a single area of our yard that's flat enough for a trampoline.

I've been kicking her out there last few days to blow bubbles. And paint cardboard boxes. And playdough

Argh
    NZ
    You probably get a whole mountain in your backyard.
    Right.

If it's steep and/or big enough you could try things like marble runs down the hill.
    If you can get your kids running up and down chasing balls, that might be as effective as a trampoline.

edited September 2021
    NSW Nurses have made an open letter to Gladys, saying they are already in crisis with chronic unsafe staffing without considering Covid and with Covid on top they will not be able to provide the level of care people expect.

Wait, I thought Gladys said she tripled ICU capacity? Unless it was a Michael Scott thing, where she thought saying 'I'm tripling ICU capacity' made it actually happen. Or, being serious, did she just order hospitals to shift extra beds to ICU status, but not hire any extra nurses to care for all those ICU patients?

Also, ScoMo is under fire for flying into locked down Sydney from Canberra, doing no quarantine, so he could see his daughters on Fathers Day. You know, the thing no one in NSW could do because we're all locked down.

So yeah, still going well in NSW.

-Loki- on
    Omg the headline in rnz right now is making me rather angry.

There's an epidemiologist claiming that the govt has been given misinformation about saliva testing.

The headline reads that the govt is the one pushing misinformation.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/450915/live-covid-19-updates-government-criticised-over-saliva-testing-misinformation

• exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Omg the headline in rnz right now is making me rather angry.

There's an epidemiologist claiming that the govt has been given misinformation about saliva testing.

The headline reads that the govt is the one pushing misinformation.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/450915/live-covid-19-updates-government-criticised-over-saliva-testing-misinformation

Eh I think it's a fair criticism. The onus is on the government to vet their sources. If the PM or whoever else within government is circulating bad information they should be called up on it. We have enough of a problem getting people to follow advice as it is without having officials muddy the waters and needing to backpedal later.

exis on
    edited September 2021
    This morning on my commute to work I was greeted by this:
    hfx28epnsk4v.jpg
    WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN???!??

And why is "Again" capitalised?

Plus you know, last time the UAP said you can't trust labor or liberals, but then after the leader freely admitted it was a plot to divert votes from Labor to liberals, so why would anyone believe it this time?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Welp, my grandmother was found dead this morning. Not really a surprise, but it does mean no funeral given *gestures at auckland*. We're having a memorial service later in the year once things calm down.

Still, very... yeah. Rough. No indication if it was anything covid related - last i knew she hadnt been hit at all by covid, but we'll find out.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I agree

But I dislike "PM was given bad info, that's the govt passing out misinformation" when the tag of "misinformation" has been applied to everything from masks to whether or not you should eat livestock medicine.

It's a loaded term now and it makes me cringe.

Because if something as simple and not really wrong is labelled as misinfo, that lightens the rest of the shit being thrown around by antivaxx assholes.

Welp, my grandmother was found dead this morning. Not really a surprise, but it does mean no funeral given *gestures at auckland*. We're having a memorial service later in the year once things calm down.

Still, very... yeah. Rough. No indication if it was anything covid related - last i knew she hadnt been hit at all by covid, but we'll find out.

Oh my gosh that's so awful. Please take care of yourself

steam_sig.png
    Oh penguin I'm sorry.

This discussion has been closed.