As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[X-men] Mutants in a Half Shell, Turtle Power!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    hot take: jean grey is not that great a character

marvel have never figured out good story beats for her other than 'super powerful, goes crazy occasionally'; the best thing that ever happened to her from a characterization standpoint was getting killed off and then staying dead long enough for everyone to get nostalgic

I like the original x-films I think better than most people, and janssen still mostly gets by on being aloof and vaguely otherworldly

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Monsieur T wrote: »
    The thing is, it's kind of amazing how little continuity there is between any of the X-Men movies. There are enough recurring actors and visual continuity that they look related in pictures, but it doesn't go much further than that. As a casual viewer it was quite a while before I even realized just how much they contradict each other.

I actually appreciate how openly they embraced Time Bullshit as a central plot device; the MCU continuity is of course very impressive but I think the x-men stuff has been equally well-served by abandoning it and letting different versions of the characters bounce off one another

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

marvel have never figured out good story beats for her other than 'super powerful, goes crazy occasionally'; the best thing that ever happened to her from a characterization standpoint was getting killed off and then staying dead long enough for everyone to get nostalgic

I like the original x-films I think better than most people, and janssen still mostly gets by on being aloof and vaguely otherworldly

Jean Grey was actually a pretty good character, the problem is that Marvel got way more out of how Wolverine and for a time Cyclops felt about her than what she was actually like.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Jean Grey was actually a pretty good character, the problem is that Marvel got way more out of how Wolverine and for a time Cyclops felt about her than what she was actually like.

That's because cyclops sucks, always will suck, and Jean should be with Logan.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've never really liked the movies. Too divergent from the source material in terms of secondary characters/setups, too focused on, 3-4 characters, missteps with what source material they do take from... It all feels like a bunch of movies made by people who really don't understand why the comics were a huge deal for about 20 years.

My ideal scenario would be a big budget TV show. Each season could reflect an era/storyline:

Season 1 - Xavier, original five students, and Magneto
    Season 1.5 - Original team gets messed up/MIA, so the 2nd wave is introduced: Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus (with Kitty Pryde as a recurring student character)
    Season 2 - God Loves, Man Kills, with the fallout leading to the original five leaving, Kitty being promoted to the team, and Psylocke and Rogue joining
    Season 3 - Mutant Massacre
    Season 4 - A tweaked Days of Future Past... Have it so Storm disappears, Wolverine's healing factor gets maxed out, etc.
    Season 5 - Genosha

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    RickRude wrote: »

Cyclops can be poorly written at times, he wasn't really given proper direction until Whedon or Morrison and they made his turn into a villain a solid direction for the character. It was atrocious what the movies did with him, especially in the earlier movies.

There have been some exception renditions of Jean. Ultimate Jean (minus dating Wolverine) and Evolution Jean, for instance.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Cyclops can be poorly written at times, he wasn't really given proper direction until Whedon or Morrison and they made his turn into a villain a solid direction for the character. It was atrocious what the movies did with him, especially in the earlier movies.

There have been some exception renditions of Jean. Ultimate Jean (minus dating Wolverine) and Evolution Jean, for instance.

Cyclops definitely was hurt by his characterization in popular media revolving around the way he was treated in the cartoon, and to some extent the comics, in the 90s as boring team dad stick in the mud. He is definitely the straight man when compared to most people, but I found him really compelling.

Something I've thought having the OG5's teen versions be in the present times in the comics is allow characters like Jean and Scott, who were pretty fleshed out adult characters, be built with the personalities you can see turning into who they would become in the comics as they got older.

I also think a good read of Cyclops as a character is stuff like Whedon's run, or Matt Fraction's run during the Utopia storyline in the late 2000s. The pragmatic, compromising some morals to save mutantkind Cyclops fighting a political and PR war against Norman Osborn leading HAMMER, the replacement for SHIELD, is a good story and displays a lot of the character of Cyclops in the modern era, for both good and bad.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    As someone who grew up on the 90s series, is a massive Wolverine fan, and always thought Cyclops was the lamest fuckin dweeb of a character: Whedon's Astonishing run made me actually like Cyke and go "oh. yeah, that's why he leads the team."

That should be the Cyclops that shows up in the films.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    The problem I've always had with the team movies is that they throw in thirty different characters and reduce most of them to being a powerset and a look (and only half a look at that since they hardly ever try to do a proper costume outfit). It feels kind of exploitative, the number of times I and other people have gone "oh shit, they've got my favorite character in this one!" and then we watch the movie and they have maybe three lines of dialogue and absolutely none of the original character's personality at all. I think that's a big part of the reason why Logan and Deadpool were so much better, they focused on a couple of characters and actually treated them like characters and not like special effects. Like, even the 100% special effect Deadpool Colossus was more of a real character than main movie cameos like Multiple Man, Blink, Other Colossus, etc.

If I was them I'd give up on the team movies entirely for a while and just make movies that focus on, say, 2-3 heroes and 1-2 villains and that's it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Jean Grey basically epitomizes one of the core issues in making X-Men comics: nobody freaking stays dead. They keep killing her off and bringing her back, so there's no way to put in meaningful arcs since the next writer is just going to resurrect her in a different way. Are there even any X-men at this point who have not died and been resurrected or brought back somehow? It horribly undercuts any arc conclusions when everybody just assumes anybody dead will come back at some point.

And with the Jean/Cyclops relationship, it's important to have her be brighter, optimistic side of that duo, to balance out Cyclops being fairly grim, direct, and careful with his leadership style. She should basically be the reason Cyclops works as a leader and the team works with him, rather than just Xavier's understudy and Cyclops' girl. Her presence should definitely not be there mostly to be a point of contention between Cyclops and Wolverine, as with the movies. That's a major disservice to the character, who should be a decidedly vital element in the team functioning.

For Cyclops, they really need to show that he's not big on risk because the X-men are his whole family and no way is he going to take dumb risks with them. It's all well and good that Wolverine can cop an attitude before running off to do whatever he wants, seeing as he's basically immortal. The rest of the team is only semi-immortal (depending on the writer) and they're people, not a military black-ops team. The guy grew up an orphan and a mutant so it should be no surprise that Cyclops is rather closed-off in demeanor, and he has rules to keep people he cares about alive, not because he loves rules.

Regardless, there is a wealth of good X-men material for virtually any character, if it's handled as decently as the MCU. Pick the good bits, then discard the pieces that ruin interesting writing just to keep the comic going with the same old characters. And the X-men actually have a fair assortment of successors to select from as the series ages, allowing for a decently organic shift in active players from film to film. There's a real possibility for stories that are generally much better than the comics, once they commit to not giving everybody twenty lives.

• Options
    The Gifted is doing some awesome re-imaginings of the X-verse. Here are two of my favourite characters on the show, Lorna and Esme/the Stepford Cuckoos.

Lorna's a delightful take on Magneto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TvDY_I8y0Q&frags=pl%2Cwn

Skyler Samuals really steps up her gme, she was kinda blah in Scream Queens. At least here she has interesting characters to play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpxp_H9PEhg&frags=pl%2Cwn

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Rebooting the X-Men movies in the mcu would the the most boring take possible.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Jennifer Lawrence was not compelling as Mystique and the character was not sufficiently interesting to hold a lead cast position IMO

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Jennifer Lawrence was not compelling as Mystique and the character was not sufficiently interesting to hold a lead cast position IMO

She wasn't bad in First Class and DoFP, though completely outclassed by the raw attitude that Rebecca Romijn brought to the role. They never really do a great job of developing the character in either set of movies. The old movies have her henching for Magneto with zero backstory, and the new ones have her jumping from adopted sister (did Xavier just mind control his parents to adopt her or something?) to pro-mutant terrorist, to pro-mutant freedom fighter. Or whatever you'd call shifting from trying to off government officials to busting up mutant cage matches. First Class at least did a good job with her initial shift.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    The Gifted is doing some awesome re-imaginings of the X-verse. Here are two of my favourite characters on the show, Lorna and Esme/the Stepford Cuckoos.

Skyler Samuals really steps up her gme, she was kinda blah in Scream Queens. At least here she has interesting characters to play with.

Lorna/Polaris isn't a take on magneto...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I disagree, I think J-Law did just fine as a young Mystique. I wish she hadn't wussed out on needing several hours of makeup to play the role, because I really like the backstory they were giving her.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

I have more faith that the MCU will treat the characters properly than Fox has. The 2nd-3rd tier characters (Angel, Beast, Iceman, Kitty, etc.) especially.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

Lorna/Polaris isn't a take on magneto...

She's an impulsive, unstable anti-human revolutionary extremist willing to do what's "needed" to save her own kind. She ends the season using her powers to bring down a plane to kill a person to create a new world, damn the consequences. Then she joins the bad guys. She's not 1 = 1 Magneto, but she's very close to it. She gets points for being Magneto's daughter in the comics and having magnetic powers.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »

I have more faith that the MCU will treat the characters properly than Fox has. The 2nd-3rd tier characters (Angel, Beast, Iceman, Kitty, etc.) especially.

I think that is fair. They'd probably have more comic accurate characteristics. I do think the stories would suffer. Also I think logan as a character study and solo movie is heads and tails above any marvel solo movies.
    The x movies have had a huge range of quality with x3 and origins being way more awful than anything in the mcu but x2 dofp and logan being way better.

The first movie started incredibly strong. That scene that scene in the camp was an amazing way to start, and basically a thesis on what that movie was gonna be about. I dont think any scene in the mcu has come close to setting a tone or being as good as that scene.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

I disagree, I think J-Law did just fine as a young Mystique. I wish she hadn't wussed out on needing several hours of makeup to play the role, because I really like the backstory they were giving her.

She looks checked out in all of the movies.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

She looks checked out in all of the movies.

Her best performance was in DOFP, that was her best script.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    eventhough the role was small, I liked the old x-movies Mystique, particularly in the first one

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    eventhough the role was small, I liked the old x-movies Mystique, particularly in the first one

Same. She had attitude and looked and acted like she could casually slit anyone's throat. THAT is Mystique. No idea who the hell JLaw was supposed to be playing.

Like we're talking about a character who is so cold and self interested that she abandoned her own children multiple times, one of whom she literally threw in a river. She's a manipulative backstabber through and through... and she's the villain the writers decided to make into a hero!? Baffling.

Forget it...
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    If it didn't happen in the films, it didn't happen for that version of the character.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    If it didn't happen in the films, it didn't happen for that version of the character.

Nah, they are interesting because we know them, cant ignore the baggage.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Reznik wrote: »

Same. She had attitude and looked and acted like she could casually slit anyone's throat. THAT is Mystique. No idea who the hell JLaw was supposed to be playing.

Like we're talking about a character who is so cold and self interested that she abandoned her own children multiple times, one of whom she literally threw in a river. She's a manipulative backstabber through and through... and she's the villain the writers decided to make into a hero!? Baffling.

Lawrence was playing a pre-Brotherhood Mystique in First Class, a conflicted Mystique who had done some shit but was at a cross roads in DOFP, and in the next films was a new Mystique who joined the X-men in the altered time line in Apocalypse. The Mystique in DOFP was the closest to classic Mystique and she did a better job than Romijn at being a cold as hell assassin (that is a personal preference) and she had more depth than her's, as well. Unfortunately this was all brushed aside in Apocalypse because they wanted to make her a hero but didn't know what they were doing.

Mystique in the comics has done that, sure but that is far from her own characterisation. She's had a full life exploring many roads, like having an intense relationship with Destiny, having a complex relationship with Rogue (recently they healed their rift and she was very friendly and motherly once Rogue was engaged), secretly been Xavier's assassin in her own anti-hero series etc.
    mrmrsx1mom.jpg&c=sc&w=997&h=911

The only films which have explored this dynamic with the character where Lawrence films, Romjin's was a just cold, efficient assassin with no depth.

This is classic Mystique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vxAB6knpk&frags=pl%2Cwn

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

What I'm saying is that version of the character is unrecognizable.

Romijn's Mystique felt more faithful to the character she was based on. JLaw's Mystique did not have the spirit of the original character.

I'm not talking biographical details (although the new backstory they gave her is garbage imo), but just... personality, attitude, etc.

Forget it...
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

The vast, vast majority of people can because they have no idea who she is.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »

Anything to back up that bold statement?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I happened on a box of 90s X-Men the other day. I read the entirety of Fatal Attractions and the Phalanx Covenant

they were pretty bad

I've got the Age of Apocalypse left. I recall enjoying that one a fair amount, so here's hoping!

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

Just how widely known do you think the occasional X-Men villain Mystique was among the general population of the world?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I’m relatively familiar with comics and the most I could tell you about Mystique is she’s a shapeshifter that’s sorta evil and is sometimes Night Crawler’s mom.

• Options
    I’m relatively familiar with comics and the most I could tell you about Mystique is she’s a shapeshifter that’s sorta evil and is sometimes Night Crawler’s mom.

Her more interesting stuff usually involves her mother-daughter relationship with Rogue but the movies fucked that possibility up

Forget it...
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I'd say a majority of the target audience for an X-Men movie would be about the same, except maybe whose mom she is. She's been in six movies over the past 15 or so years, that counts for at least a little something.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

I'd say a majority of the target audience for an X-Men movie would be about the same, except maybe whose mom she is. She's been in six movies over the past 15 or so years, that counts for at least a little something.

Sure, but the point is what that target audience knew about her before the movies, which, to the vast majority of people, amounted to zip.

• Options
    daveNYC wrote: »

She's also been a recurring villain in every single X-Men cartoon. I'd wager more people would recognize her from those than the comics.

Forget it...
  • Options
    I totally forgot about the cartoons. No idea how widely they were seen by folks, though.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »

Just how widely known do you think the occasional X-Men villain Mystique was among the general population of the world?

Being prominently displayed in media aside from the comics, like cartoon and games, and being the right hand of Magneto, I consider her to be one of the most recognizable villains from the X-men.

• Options

Being prominently displayed in media aside from the comics, like cartoon and games, and being the right hand of Magneto, I consider her to be one of the most recognizable villains from the X-men.

Recognized, sure, but the movies have barely touched on her characterisation. Magneto is the poster boy for in depth osmosis for the X-men franchise. Which is part of the problem, the films rarely seem interested in exploring other villains and when they do it's poorly. The exception being Trask and Mystique in DOFP. They squandered their chances with Apocalypse and Phoenix.

• Options

Sure, but being one of the most recognisable X-Men villains isn't really an answer to the question. Prior to the movies, just how much of the general population would know who Mystique was? And how many of the ones who could pick her out of a lineup would be able to give much of her background beyond being a shapeshifting bad guy?

This isn't to say the movies should or shouldn't cleave to whatever interpretation of the character you consider to be canon, but for the vast majority of people in the audience for the X-Men movie, that character had no baggage whatsoever, and if the character interested them, it was the character in the movie.