As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Everything is moving all the time in fact

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Galaxies spiral around black holes and those move around, sure, but this is a black hole that's kinda just meandering through the galaxy eating whatever

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Not me, it's a snow day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    See I hear "black hole wandering" and my first thought is oh god they can move around?!

And since they're invisible they can sneak up on you when you least expect it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Galaxies spiral around black holes and those move around, sure, but this is a black hole that's kinda just meandering through the galaxy eating whatever

IIRC gravity affects everything. Massive objects can still be moved by smaller ones, but just in relatively smaller amounts. A star is still moved by the planets around it, for example. That wobble is actually one way of finding exoplanets.

Rogue black holes were theorized. The example I remember was what happens when two black holes pass by close enough to be affected by their gravity wells, but not enough to combine? One theory was that you could basically end up with a black hole that managed to pull off a gravity slingshot across space.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Black holes are an object in space. As far as gravity and it's effects are concerned, it interacts in exactly the same way as a star or planet or your enemies massive ass.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    See I hear "black hole wandering" and my first thought is oh god they can move around?!

It's terrifying to know that astronomers are actively trying to figure out when our solar system is going to get wrecked by some otherwise invisible interstellar traveler.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

It's terrifying to know that astronomers are actively trying to figure out when our solar system is going to get wrecked by some otherwise invisible interstellar traveler.

And not so invisible. Scholz’s Star passed through our Oort cloud just 70,000 years ago. Gliese 710 will pass through the Oort cloud 1.4 million years from now. Should be quite the sight as at that distance it will outshine all the other stars in the sky. Fortunately it'll likely take a few more million years after that for the comets it knocks loose to be an issue.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Black holes are an object in space. As far as gravity and it's effects are concerned, it interacts in exactly the same way as a star or planet or your enemies massive ass.

Especially since most black holes are only large star-sized and not 'mega-hub of a galaxy' sized.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Glass shark, glass shark, glass shark...

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You say luckily but this quasi-Posadist literature says that only a massive global electronics vaporising coronal event can save us from ourselves

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Ernest Shackleton’s ship Endurance found off coast of Antarctica
    The wreck of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s ship has been found off the coast of Antarctica, according to the Falklands Maritime Heritage Trust.

Endurance had not been seen since it was crushed by ice and sank in the Weddell Sea in 1915, and last month the Endurance22 Expedition set off from Cape Town, South Africa, a month after the 100th anniversary of Shackleton’s death on a mission to locate it.

Endurance was found at a depth of 3,008 metres and approximately four miles south of the position originally recorded by the ship’s captain, Frank Worsley, the trust said.

3281.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=9746433b174e1b11b934c9316727643a

3281.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=ce61c348ed7721b96dacec471b951c55

so the sad sidenote in this is that it really helped finding the ship that the sea area around normally is frozen solid but this year's summer has a much reduced amount of ice...

honovere on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    oh so that's where I parked the boat

my b

I'll come pick it up this weekend or something

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited March 2022
    I awesomed the boat post before you edited it to add the melting ice thing and now I look like I just love climate change

Boat wrecks are awesome though. Look at all the sea beasties hanging out on it.

3000 metres sounds pretty damn deep

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    smof is the big climate change lover

HUGE fan of climate change over here

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Still bitter about that asteroid and just keen to see humans get their comeuppance

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Still bitter about that asteroid and just keen to see humans get their comeuppance

Honestly?
    Same.

• Options

It takes a lot of heat to melt metal. However, with a bit of electricity and wire, you can melt a chunk of metal with a magnetic field, and suspend in it mid-air so it looks cool during the process [source and full video: https://t.co/Hv2xjK0Qkn] [more: https://t.co/e7z2lMbFsJ] https://t.co/6RotIzoyoR

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    electromagnetism: literally magic

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Someone add that to Magneto’s power set immediately

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    i thought most metals lost their magnetic properties at high temperatures? i mean i'm not a very scientifically literate person though so.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    i thought most metals lost their magnetic properties at high temperatures? i mean i'm not a very scientifically literate person though so.

Everything is magnetic given a sufficiently powerful magnet.

Magneto should, frankly, be able to just stop people's hearts at a glance by crushing them. But that's kind of boring to draw.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Everything is magnetic given a sufficiently powerful magnet.

Magneto should, frankly, be able to just stop people's hearts at a glance by crushing them. But that's kind of boring to draw.

man, no wonder ICP was confused...

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I initially thought that was why the metal drops after it melts but the youtube comments indicate that's just the coil being turned off so I continue to not understand magnets.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    interesting, yeah the point at which iron starts losing magnetic properties due to heating banging the atoms around and disrupting the alignment is 770 Celsius, vs. 1500 Celsius to start melting
    so I guess you need a really strong electromagnet to do that

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    interesting, yeah the point at which iron starts losing magnetic properties due to heating banging the atoms around and disrupting the alignment is 770 Celsius, vs. 1500 Celsius to start melting

I think you would need a strong enough field to force the alignment to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if this also lowers the energy input required to reach the melting point as that rotational energy is converted to vibrational energy

Veevee on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So like if you stuck your finger in there

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    So like if you stuck your finger in there

Not today Satan

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I think you would need a strong enough field to force the alignment to stay. I wouldn't be surprised if this also lowers the energy input required to reach the melting point as that rotational energy is converted to vibrational energy

There is no alignment though.

That'll be an AC coil, and the changing current causes a magnetic field that sets up eddy currents in the metal that oppose the changing magnetic field.

I don't think the eddy currents much care about the liquid metal.
    They just need enough sections of metal that are close enough together to build large eddies.
    If anything, the liquid metal would likely increase the electrical resistance in the metal, causing it to heat faster.

Anyway, this is why you don't want metal in an MRI machine.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Heating iron to the Curie point allows the magnetic alignment in it's normally crystalline structure to start to move around and become randomized. Since things are no longer aligned, it becomes non-magnetic. But placing the iron inside a magnetic field, such as inside an induction heater, as it's heated makes the atoms want to move to be oriented with the field instead of randomized, so it retains it's magnetism.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Basically it works because the "mag-" in "magnet" means "magic". Meaning that magnets are "magic nets" that trap conductive materials.

These magic nets shimmy back and forth like an ocelot in the tide. So we say that they "ocelate" (though current spelling is "oscillate" from the old english spelling of ocelot) due to "A sea current" (Which is just abbreviated to "AC").

The conductive material doesn't like being trapped in these magic nets so they get energetic and "resist" the power of these oscillations. But because it's trapped in the magic net, this just causes the metal to become overheated.

Thus, the magnets oscillate using AC current, inducing an electric charge in the metal, and that charge is converted to heat through resistance.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Putting cats into the ocean for science, got it

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Basically it works because the "mag-" in "magnet" means "magic". Meaning that magnets are "magic nets" that trap conductive materials.

These magic nets shimmy back and forth like an ocelot in the tide. So we say that they "ocelate" (though current spelling is "oscillate" from the old english spelling of ocelot) due to "A sea current" (Which is just abbreviated to "AC").

The conductive material doesn't like being trapped in these magic nets so they get energetic and "resist" the power of these oscillations. But because it's trapped in the magic net, this just causes the metal to become overheated.

Thus, the magnets oscillate using AC current, inducing an electric charge in the metal, and that charge is converted to heat through resistance.

Is this CRT

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2022
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

Is this CRT

CRTs do use electromagnetism to function, yes

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Rare to see SciShow going knives-out for a current event in science, but in this case it's very well justified.

An Alzheimer’s Drug That Doesn’t Treat Alzheimer’s? (12:33)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3iTqShlvBU

• Options

New Horizons mission scientists have found evidence that cryovolcanic activity – ice volcanoes – most likely created some of the unique structures on Pluto not yet seen anywhere else in the solar system. Details: http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20220329
    Neat!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    'Ice volcanoes'? Look just because you have PhDs doesn't mean you can just make things up to take the piss.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    'Ice volcanoes'? Look just because you have PhDs doesn't mean you can just make things up to take the piss.

astrophysicists are the least creative nerds in the world

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

astrophysicists are the least creative nerds in the world

Don't forget about WIMPs and MACHOs.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.