As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Medical researchers in the DRC have dramatically lowered mortality from ebola cases.
    wired wrote:
    Patients receiving Zmapp in the four trial centers experienced an overall mortality rate of 49 percent, according to Anthony Fauci, director of the NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. (Mortality rates are in excess of 75 percent for infected individuals who don’t seek any form of treatment.) The monoclonal antibody cocktail produced by a company called Regeneron Pharmaceuticals had the biggest impact on lowering death rates, down to 29 percent, while NIAID’s monoclonal antibody, called mAb114, had a mortality rate of 34 percent. The results were most striking for patients who received treatments soon after becoming sick, when their viral loads were still low—death rates dropped to 11 percent with mAb114 and just 6 percent with Regeneron’s drug, compared with 24 percent with ZMapp and 33 percent with Remdesivir.

From a 1 in 4 chance at survival to (if treated quickly) a 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 chance at death.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Naturally they're going to charge more for that drug than anyone in regions impacted by Ebola can afford, I wager.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    That would actually be very surprising. Medicine in the developing world is nothing like the high-end auction bullshit you get in the US. There's a very limited pool of resources available, and the patients aren't the ones ponying up in most cases. In many parts of the world, if you've got a TB cure that costs a hundred bucks a dose and a malaria cure that costs a dollar a dose, you end up with a drastic reduction in malaria deaths and a bunch of medical professionals who are really good at delivering the bad news to TB patients. The math is terrible, but it's not hard.

In this case, where ebola is a really scary disease that's mostly affecting some of the poorest countries in the world, a cure that's too expensive for WHO and various charitable organizations to roll out on a wide scale might as well not exist. Drug manufacturers know that, and would rather get a whole small pie than a big slice of a pie that doesn't exist.

This is the sort of bleak economic calculus that means you can get a once-in-a-lifetime polio vaccine for 75 cents in Pakistan but you need to pay $25 for your flu vaccine every year in the US.

Life has a price tag, and it's more variable than you might think.

Eat at Arby's.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Capitalism is bad, surprise!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

• Options
    edited August 2019
    QRlF25p.jpg

ACTUALLY NO, THIS IS FINE. LET US PROCEED AS PER OUR INSTRUCTIONS.

Brolo on
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That would actually be very surprising. Medicine in the developing world is nothing like the high-end auction bullshit you get in the US. There's a very limited pool of resources available, and the patients aren't the ones ponying up in most cases. In many parts of the world, if you've got a TB cure that costs a hundred bucks a dose and a malaria cure that costs a dollar a dose, you end up with a drastic reduction in malaria deaths and a bunch of medical professionals who are really good at delivering the bad news to TB patients. The math is terrible, but it's not hard.

In this case, where ebola is a really scary disease that's mostly affecting some of the poorest countries in the world, a cure that's too expensive for WHO and various charitable organizations to roll out on a wide scale might as well not exist. Drug manufacturers know that, and would rather get a whole small pie than a big slice of a pie that doesn't exist.

This is the sort of bleak economic calculus that means you can get a once-in-a-lifetime polio vaccine for 75 cents in Pakistan but you need to pay $25 for your flu vaccine every year in the US.

Life has a price tag, and it's more variable than you might think.

Eat at Arby's.

There's also the fact that if an exposed family wins at lousy timing and starts going symptomatic on a bus in Kinshasa - or Atlanta, for that matter - things would get Very Very Bad. Nipping that sort of thing in the bud in a place where The Invisible Hand(tm) allows it to be affordable isn't just the right thing to do in and of itself, it prevents some pretty catastrophic scenarios that are really a when-not-if sort of thing if they'd tried to roll out a less affordable treatment to make the next shareholders' meeting happier.

(That and, if it got out that a pharmaceutical company let an outbreak get out of control because they weren't willing to keep the treatment affordable, there would probably be blood in the streets that wasn't a direct result of the virus.)

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Oh, wow, it really is.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Looks like a Porg to me...

• Options
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Just when I was coming around to trex being covered in feathers now we think it could fly too?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Just when I was coming around to trex being covered in feathers now we think it could fly too?

Haast's Eagle
    bg08hhhaur3n.png
    It lived up until recently +/- 40k years ago as the Maori have legends about them
    I cannot find it right now but there is a leathery fossil that was used as either a fetish or weapon during the ice age from haast's eagle

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Probably not ice age; the Polynesians didn't reach NZ until the 1300's, well after the last Ice Age.

It probably went extinct around the time of the arrival of Europeans, mostly owing to the hunting to extinction of its primary prey, the Moa, by the Maori around that time.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    fk0wyxks72au.png

Just let Thor play through, folks. It's not worth it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Is that Fulgurite under astroturf?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Charred grass, at the moment. But generally the soil underneath is pretty well Fulgurized, so that same pattern will show in bare dirt for a while until the grass can reestablish itself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/08/27/lightning-struck-pin-th-hole-north-carolina-golf-course-it-left-quite-mark/

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Probably not ice age; the Polynesians didn't reach NZ until the 1300's, well after the last Ice Age.

It probably went extinct around the time of the arrival of Europeans, mostly owing to the hunting to extinction of its primary prey, the Moa, by the Maori around that time.

Because of "reasons" I am sleeping like crap lately so yes I messed up and mixed up two things
    It doesn't help I am only sleeping 3 to 5 hours a day

• Options
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I can see a crazy alien city in there so I'm not certain that isn't just a shard of a Portalway

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    That is definitely going to unleash some ancient evil if broken

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    real talk, I would love to have a piece of that to put with my Collection

which sounds sinister with the capital C, but it's only a little bit sinister

• Options
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    A piece of tanzanite that big is probably worth a few thousand dollars at least, it's a pretty rare mineral!

Edit: well I guess there's actually no way to tell how big it is, my brain just went "BIG SHINY ROCK"

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    uHf5y9z.png
    TEXT:
    Last week, the Washington Post reported that the White House had been briefed on a plan to create an agency called HARPA, a healthcare counterpart to the Pentagon’s research and development arm DARPA. Among other initiatives, this new agency would reportedly collect volunteer data from a suite of smart devices, including Apple Watches, Fitbits, Amazon Echos, and Google Homes in order to identify “neurobehavioral signs” of “someone headed toward a violent explosive act.” The project would then use artificial intelligence to create a “sensor suite” to flag mental changes that make violence more likely.

According to the Post, the HARPA proposal was discussed with senior White House officials as early as June 2017, but has “gained momentum” after the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. The latest version of the plan, reportedly submitted to the Trump administration this month, outlined the biometric project called “SAFE HOME,” an acronym for “Stopping Aberrant Fatal Events by Helping Overcome Mental Extremes.” A source told the newspaper that every time HARPA has been discussed in the White House “even up to the presidential level, it’s been very well-received.”
    https://gizmodo.com/the-plan-to-use-fitbit-data-to-stop-mass-shootings-is-o-1837710691

...p-PreCrime...?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    we prefer the term "algorithmic cyber-phrenology"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That extra sucks because "DARPA, but for medical technology" sounds really great!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    everyone must now wear a heart rate moniter because health and stuff

also angry sex is illegal

Xehalus on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have bad news about what non-angry sex also does to your heartrate

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Qr2fNQy.jpg
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042003

that's why I only do it asleep style now

at least, I assume I do it

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Qr2fNQy.jpg
    http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042003

that's why I only do it asleep style now

at least, I assume I do it

You do, I've got tapes if you want to check.

Uh, I mean

yeah I assume you do as well

bro

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    For the HARPA system every person will be given an ID that is digitally tattooed to their identity. Evangelicals insistent Obama is still the antichrist.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So would a "violent explosive act" include angry corporal punishment against a child?

• Options
    edited September 2019

man I hope whoever recorded this came out okay

hippos in rivers ain't nuthin to fuck with

Brolo on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    They're fast out of the water too

• Options
    if there was one currently extant animal that I'd raise from a pup and use as my WAR MOUNT

it'd definitely be a fuckin' hippo

or a Liger, I think those guys get big enough I could probably ride it, and I could spend the nights while we're Ranging sleeping against its big furry side.

This discussion has been closed.