She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    A meteorite large enough to produce many palm-sized chunks of debris seems to have either struck or exploded over western Cuba. Lots of people are posting video and pictures of the meteorite fragments and the sonic boom/contrail created by the meteorite. The explosion was caught by a weather satellite.

https://gizmodo.com/space-rock-hits-cuba-1832275931

GvzbgulBahamutZEROTofystedethcB5573clipseShadowenDuke 2.0chrishallett83ElvenshaeAndy Joekime
  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Past versions of ourselves die as we age. We are but our memories. More so if you are Doctor Who.

Jerk deserved it for eating all the pie and not leaving any for Present Jedoc.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Slacker71
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King scuz me ur under dog arrest Registered User regular
    Past me is a asshole and future me is a sucker

icGJy2C.png
    EvilCakeBrovid HasselsmofRhesus PositiveSlacker71
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I see you're all homestuck scholars too

BahamutZERO.gif
    NeveroncB557Duke 2.0Andy Joe
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular

5myiokloks5d.png
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Past versions of ourselves die as we age. We are but our memories. More so if you are Doctor Who.

Nah, continuity of self continues past the point where we forget things in any normal sense. If you were only your memories, then you'd be in a constant state of dying every few seconds as you forget memories and events as you experience them or as they degrade.

You could copy my memories entirely into a machine, and I would still not be the one who wakes up as a computer, rather it would be a simulacrum of me that awakes. If you then killed my body, then I would be dead, and the simulacrum of me would be left in the machine.
    To an external viewer, we may seem the same, but I do not see through its eyes, and it does not see through mine. At the point at which the simulacrum is created, time's arrow begins for it and immediately diverges from my continuity of self to become a new entity.

Continuity of Self is beyond memories, it is waking and recognizing that I am I and am not you.

I've actually thought on this enough that I've developed a name for my simulacrum if it comes to pass. Sort of like if you're paranoid and come up with something to identify yourself if you time travel and need to meet your past self.

edited February 2019

Peas on
    5myiokloks5d.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Cancer is a cell trying to commit mutiny.

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    If i was looking for research papers on astronomy, cosmology, or astrophysics, would I be okay looking through JSTOR or is there an alternative database for those types of papers?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In most fields, Google scholar will now give you the most comprehensive overview with better relevance detection. As long as you have a reasonable idea of the research you're looking for.

Snowbear

5myiokloks5d.png
    3clipse
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    At the beginning he's like, "Now imagine 1000 balloons!" and my brain immediately said, "Dude that's like, 400" and then he says it was 399. I am really good at Dunning Krugering myself into impostor syndrome.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    NASA is expected to announce mission completion for Opportunity today, 10 months after losing contact with the rover

Y'all I'm incredibly sad, what a good robot

25Mj5br.png
    SporkAndrewLuvTheMonkeyElvenshaeTofystedethTynnanMayabirdvalhalla130cB557tynicchrishallett833clipseMetzger MeisterDedwrekkaShadowenFishmanXaquinSkeithkimeLabelJoolander
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Is it time to post that XKCD again?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Yes.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    Tynnan
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Is Opportunity the one that got stuck on a rock?

Never mind, I remembered Google exists. I didn't realise they only originally expected it to operate for 90 days. 15 years is impressive.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    ElvenshaecB5573clipsekime
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

You mean the one where Opportunity goes rogue?

ElvenshaeAndy Joechrishallett833clipseJedocDedwrekkaShadowenTofystedethAl_watkimeSlacker71Joolander
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

I suspect this one:

https://xkcd.com/695/

cB557Mr_Rose3clipsekimeJoolander
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Never mind, I remembered Google exists. I didn't realise they only originally expected it to operate for 90 days. 15 years is impressive.

15 years on an operational life cycle of 90 days makes it almost certainly the single greatest success in NASA history

25Mj5br.png
    Shadowentynic3clipsecB557DedwrekkaTofystedethfurlionMcFodderchrishallett83StiltsMayabirdvalhalla130LaOsCurly_BraceRhesus Positivewebguy20SkeithkimeMidniteironsizideJoolander
  • FishmanFishman I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, My wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped.Registered User regular

15 years on an operational life cycle of 90 days makes it almost certainly the single third greatest success in NASA history

Not to discount Opportunity's importance,
    but NASA has some of the greatest successes in human history, of which the Mars rovers are just one.
    honovere wrote: »

I suspect this one:

Post the new one, instead:
    https://xkcd.com/2111/

Thank you, Oppy.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    3clipseElvenshaeXaquincB557chrishallett83valhalla130webguy20SkeithkimeLabelSlacker71ironsizide
    edited February 2019
    Brolo wrote: »

Peas on
    5myiokloks5d.png
    DepressperadoSlacker71
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

15 years on an operational life cycle of 90 days makes it almost certainly the single third greatest success in NASA history

Not to discount Opportunity's importance,
    but NASA has some of the greatest successes in human history, of which the Mars rovers are just one.
    honovere wrote: »

I suspect this one:

Post the new one, instead:
    https://xkcd.com/2111/

Thank you, Oppy.

Ah man I got a dust devil in my eyes

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    The final signal that NASA sent to Opportunity wasn't a final direction. It was a song

FishmanElvenshaechrishallett83Metzger Meisterwebguy20kimeMvrckSlacker71ironsizideJoolander
  • FishmanFishman I've got my country's five hundredth anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, My wife to murder, and Guilder to frame for it. I'm swamped.Registered User regular
    The NYTimes has a pretty nice overview map of how far Oppy travelled and the sights it saw here.

Combine that with NASA's detailed Mars map to get a sense of scale for how much of mars it actually explored.

Finally, follow up with this recounting of the journey from NASA JPL by the people who worked mission control:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    cB557JedoctynicWeaver
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    WHY AM I CRYING ABOUT A GODDAMN ROBOT

ironsizideJoolander

because you are subconsciously anthropomorphizing it

BahamutZERO.gif
    cB557ShadowenBrovid Hasselsmofwebguy20ElvenshaeSkeithkimeKwoaruvalhalla130furlionRhesus PositiveCurly_BraceDuke 2.0Slacker71MidniteHefflingJoolander
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular

because you are subconsciously anthropomorphizing it

Shut up, R2D2 is real and he's my friend!

Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    ElvenshaeironsizideJoolander
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    to be fair it could also be The Depression

to be fair it could also be The Depression

a combination of the anthropomorphizing and the depression yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JedocJedoc Once to start a new life and once just to start a fireRegistered User regular
    '
    The NYTimes has a pretty nice overview map of how far Oppy travelled and the sights it saw here.

Combine that with NASA's detailed Mars map to get a sense of scale for how much of mars it actually explored.

Finally, follow up with this recounting of the journey from NASA JPL by the people who worked mission control:

Hey, here's a question nobody's asking: how come those maps of "Mars" have a Google Earth logo in the corner?

Wake up, sheeple.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    ElvenshaeironsizideJoolander
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    '

Hey, here's a question nobody's asking: how come those maps of "Mars" have a Google Earth logo in the corner?

Wake up, sheeple.

Because it's broadcasting from the future of course.

Say hello to Kansas in the year 2045!

camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
    DisruptedCapitalistElvenshae
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    So, on a relatively thin strip of land between LAX and Dockweiler Beach here in Los Angeles, there's a nature preserve. The area used to be a planned community called Surfridge but it was abandoned as the airport grew and the jet age began, and the city eventually used eminent domain to reclaim the whole strip. It's largely known for hosting one of 3 known colonies of the endangered El Segundo Blue butterfly, but researchers recently discovered at least 10 burrowing owls there and I just think that's neat! There's even an active breeding pair with a nest!

tynicJedoc3clipseElvenshaeCurly_BraceLabelTofystedethPolaritiekimevalhalla130chrishallett83Duke 2.0Kayne Red RobeDisruptedCapitalist
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Good news! We can replace plastic with squid!

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2019/02/22/squid-ring-teeth-proteins-green-plastic-alternative/

Better news! We can produce the protein in the lab and don't have to kill any squid!

3clipseLabelbowenTynnanBahamutZEROPolaritieJedockimeElvenshaeDiarmuidBrovid HasselsmofcB557valhalla130DedwrekkaShadowenMetzger Meisterchrishallett83Curly_BraceRhesus PositiveDuke 2.0MvrckPsykomaSkeithwebguy20DisruptedCapitalist
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I was hoping that we would be replacing all plastics with still living squid.

KwoarukimeElvenshaeBrovid HasselsmoftynicDuke 2.0MvrckKharnorMr Fuzzbutt
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

That's just silly. How would you keep them alive?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

https://blog.frontiersin.org/2019/02/22/squid-ring-teeth-proteins-green-plastic-alternative/

Better news! We can produce the protein in the lab and don't have to kill any squid!

@moriveth How do you feel about this development, as a regular human father?

MorivethElvenshaechrishallett83DisruptedCapitalist
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

wow this feels like it might be to plastics what plastic was to glass

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • 3clipse3clipse I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

That's just silly. How would you keep them alive?

I assume these modified squid are a type of undying eldritch horror.

ElvenshaeFishman