As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

She Blinded Me With [Science] Thread

1818283848587»

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited April 8
    https://phys.org/news/2021-03-canadian-built-laser-chills-antimatter-absolute.html
    Researchers achieve world's first manipulation of antimatter by laser
    m6908qvfv484.jpg
    An artistic illustration of the movement of an antihydrogen atom in the ALPHA magnetic trap, before (grey) and after (blue) laser cooling. The images show various lengths of the antihydrogen's track. Credit: Chukman So/TRIUMF

Researchers with the CERN-based ALPHA collaboration have announced the world's first laser-based manipulation of antimatter, leveraging a made-in-Canada laser system to cool a sample of antimatter down to near absolute zero

Is this cooler than what it sounds like, I have no idea to be honest

Peas on
    BahamutZEROElvenshaeShadowenThe Cow KingsarukunMorninglord
  • PeewiPeewi I'm a cube now Registered User regular
    Well, it doesn't get any cooler than absolute zero.

It's still pretty cool to just be near it.

Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam profile
    Elvenshae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have no idea what the significance of this achievement is but it sure sounds cool, it involves both antimatter AND lasers!
    Probably useful for doing more experiments on antimatter to test weird physics stuff.

BahamutZERO.gif
    PeewiMcFodderhonovere
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Like checking whether antimatter falls up or not.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is there any way to use this laser maniuplated antimatter to blow people up or mine cryptocurrency

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Is there any way to use this laser maniuplated antimatter to blow people up or mine cryptocurrency
    Sure, shove your hand in the magnetic confinement tube and someone will definitely get blown up

BahamutZERO.gif
    Elvenshae
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Like checking whether antimatter falls up or not.

Yeah this is the main goal of the experiment. They want to verify that antimatter obeys the same laws of gravity. First see which direction it falls in, then hopefully set some bounds on how fast.
    If you want to measure which way something falls, first you need to make sure it's completely still at the start.

This sounds exceptionally basic and it is, but it is also something that hasn't been done yet, and is very difficult.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    BahamutZEROElvenshaeShadowenMorninglordtynic
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Shooting antimatter with a laser to slow it down to human-physics speeds is basic??

Man what kind of advanced science we gettin up to, writing algos to sell more non-durable hunks of cheap material or something

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Sure, shove your hand in the magnetic confinement tube and someone will definitely get blown up

i said

put your goddamn hand in the goddamn magnetic box'o'confinement

ElvenshaeTynnan3clips3EvilCakeCaptain InertiakimeShadowenDepressperadofurlionTeftynic
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Between that and Fermilab's "we might have found a new fundamental force maybe?" thing, physics is having a fun week.

Captain Inertia
    Fart force?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

i said

put your goddamn hand in the goddamn magnetic box'o'confinement

I'm putting my ass in instead. I do this for science!

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    21-year-old University of Sydney student helps solve quantum computing problem with simple modification
    Assistant professor Shruti Puri of Yale's quantum research program said the new code solved a problem that had persisted for 20 years.

"What amazes me about this new code is its sheer elegance," she said.

"Its remarkable error-correcting properties are coming from a simple modification to a code that has been studied extensively for almost two decades."

When I was 21 I think I just about had the hang of parallel parking.

name one thing that waluigi with a gun couldn't solve
    honovereSporkAndrewsarukunPeewiRadiationMidniteErlecPeasShadowenMcFodderMorninglordfurlionvalhalla130Elvenshae
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    if error
    dont

PSN: jfrofl
    Captain InertiaElvenshae
    If error
    Pick up phone and check for thread updates

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The quantum realm is no match for the power of regular expressions!

name one thing that waluigi with a gun couldn't solve
    Elvenshaetynic