As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also a nice episode for Remembrance Sunday.

Also for other, shall we say, current affairs.

"This is not what we fought for."

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It really is striking, if Chibnell had written this there would have been a scene on the flower cart with the guy being a NPC
    >Why aren't the roads safe?
    >Who was that man you were talking to?
    >How long have you been selling flowers?
    >What is the history of this area?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Chibnall still has a hand in every script even if he isn’t credited. To be honest, this felt like it had some of the same weaknesses as the other episodes. Lots of lines felt generic, like they were placeholders rather than lines spoken by a well drawn character.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I watched Human Nature and Family of the Blood just before tonight’s episode, since that two parter is a great one for Remembrance Sunday. All three together were hella emotional though.

• Options
    Chibnall still has a hand in every script even if he isn’t credited. To be honest, this felt like it had some of the same weaknesses as the other episodes. Lots of lines felt generic, like they were placeholders rather than lines spoken by a well drawn character.
    Yeah but at least it's just some useless lines instead of whole scenes.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I caught the end of the episode. Seems weird enough to watch.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Most recent episode eas probably the best of the season so far. Also nice to see the show move away from a tumblr level understanding of history.

The episodes with fat affable good natured Churchill are hard to watch

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Good episode.
    The stance, or lack of it, on guns is a little concerning though.
    Had one pointed right at her, other brother shit shot at the "demons", but no comment on any of it.

As an armchair script writer, when the older brother was pointing the gun at Thr Doctor, I would have added something about how she knows all about killing/death and how it always ends, etc.
    Maybe just projecting Tennant's lengthy speeches onto her.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I think the order of excellence or otherwise so far this season goes like this. I don't think any have felt like classics, but the top two were pretty good. After that there's a decent dropoff to the next two, and another drop for the last two. Rewatching the episodes has, in almost every case, made me less impressed with the writing and characterisation of the series.

Rosa
    Demons

The Woman Who Fell to Earth
    The Tsuranga Conundrum

Arachnids in the UK
    The Ghost Monument

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Good episode.
    The stance, or lack of it, on guns is a little concerning though.
    Had one pointed right at her, other brother shit shot at the "demons", but no comment on any of it.

As an armchair script writer, when the older brother was pointing the gun at Thr Doctor, I would have added something about how she knows all about killing/death and how it always ends, etc.
    Maybe just projecting Tennant's lengthy speeches onto her.

Meh, as pointed out before The Doctor's stance on that is pretty nonsensical so with the short (and shorter) episode count they don't need to bring it up every time.

• Options
    The Doctor's stance on guns is not nonsensical. It's entirely reasonable and it's deeply weird (or perhaps not, considering where most of the people who scratch their head about it come from) that it keeps coming up like some people think the show would be improved by everyone in the Tardis packing heat like they were cops.

The Doctor generally isn't keen on guns, occasionally sees their uses in responsible hands, and regards them as an excellent way for scared people to escalate trouble or do dumb things. In this she has always been in sync with the vast majority of people in the country that actually makes the show.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I also think this Doctor has been all over the shop regarding morality. Stuff like goading a bad guy into setting off DNA bombs she tricked him into absorbing, melting him from the inside out, but then getting mad at someone kicking that guy off a ledge. Like, she had already doomed him to a ridiculously gruesome death, but someone swooping in at the end to deliver a quicker coup de grace is unconscionable. Same thing with the end of the spider episode, where shooting one is worse than letting it slowly suffocate.

The no-guns rule would seem consistent, but then she had to go and swoon over that soldier, and brag about her own volume in some book o' war.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Much like most Prime Directive episodes, Chibnell is going for some weird interpretations of a not terrible idea. You can see this all the way back in Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, where the plot hinges on the laughable idea that a taser can kill someone through armor because trying to save your father's life with anything more aggressive than asking politely is wrong, apparently

Coinage on
  • Options
    She didn't goad Tim Shaw into setting off the bombs, I don't think. She told him to not do it or there'd be trouble, and then revealed that trying to do the bad thing is what causes the trouble for the bad guy, which is what the Doctor always does.

I don't think she swooned over the soldier, particularly. The book thing I can't remember the exact dialogue but no one said wow you have to kill a lot of people to get in it, just that it was a book of heroism or something.

The spider getting shot made her angry because the guy wasn't trying to provide a mercy killing, he was firing a gun at the scary thing to feel like a big man and that's gross.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    Much like most Prime Directive episodes, Chibnell is going for some weird interpretations of a not terrible idea. You can see this all the way back in Hungry Earth/Cold Blood, where the plot hinges on the laughable idea that a taser can kill someone through armor because trying to save your father's life with anything more aggressive than asking politely is wrong, apparently

That's one way of putting it, though I guess another way of putting it is that torturing people to get information is wrong, which sounds more reasonable.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Most superheroes have a code against guns, because it helps the plot not turn into a boring shootout every week.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    The number of companions is really dragging this show into the dirt. At one time in this episode, they had us paying attention to 4 different sets of characters at the same time, with incredibly different levels of danger and suspense involved for each of them.

Agreed. The companions don't work as well as an ensemble like Torchwood, everyone has there own quirks and specialities so they worked like a proper team. I can see Yaz and Graham finding niches, and two companions is probably the limit for an effective story. Yaz has strangely not been that useful despite being a copper (that said, I'm behind on episodes so that may not be true anymore).
    Yaz needs the spotlight.

Definitely.

• Options
    Most superheroes have a code against guns, because it helps the plot not turn into a boring shootout every week.

And also because telling an audience of kids that guns are a good thing to have on you is reprehensible stupidity.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I've seen the Old Who supercut of him running around with a bunch of terrible prop guns, but New Who seems pretty consistent that guns don't solve problems, being clever does.

Just surprised there wasn't some comment about the guns in that episode. But this is a new Doctor, so maybe she's changed.

Of course we know the Doctor has killed a lot, but it's been by choice, like Tim Shaw, or willing sacrifice like the host in Midnight. And for me that's what makes The Doctor so terrifying. Don't need an army of CyberMen.

• Options
    Didn't the Fourth Doctor snap a guy's neck?

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    She didnt lecture the guy about his gun because she was trying to keep a low profile and she felt he was reasonable and reliable.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I haven't seen this weekend's episode, but so far I feel like this season is so close, yet so far away.

I miss the specific and focused growth between the Doctor and their companion. Because there are 3 companions, I feel like I'm getting less growth from any of them. Its too spread out. Its specifically hamstringing the development of the new Doctor as well. We see her less and there's less room for this specific iteration to flesh itself out.

And I am really annoyed that Jodie is always playing the Doctor as constantly exacerbated/frantic. The constant out of breath and rushed feeling of this new doctor just doesn't feel right.

The plots have been based on some cool ideas, but the execution just feels ... off?

But its so close. I don't hate it, but I definitely don't like/love it. I want to like/love it. But its just not happening. :sad:

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I kind of loved this episode. I’m loving this season, really. It’s not perfect, but I don’t think it needs to be. I just hope that she gets more than one season as the Doctor, because I am all sorts of into her playing the character.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I have often remarked to my wife (I'm first generation Bengali-Canadian and she's a whitey mcwhiterston) that I really appreciate the fact that Doctor Who often has South Asian actors in minor roles all over the place. Office worked number 7, future space general lady, talking head on TV..... brown people.

I think Yaz is the first South Asian actress on this show where the show has made any mentions of her actually being brown. Which is great and all since she's a Companion and we should dive deeper into these characters, but I'm much more impressed by the "casual" use of south Asians that are on my TV. We don't get that nearly as much in Canadian TV, and even less so in the bombardment of US TV we get.

Good on you, British TV. Good on you!

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I appreciated this episode for getting me interested in the history of that region.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yes, the best part of the writing this series is that it is really digging back into educational historicals, which haven't been done this way much since the first and second Doctors. Sure, we have met historical figures over the past few years, but I can't think of many episodes that really taught me about an era or event. Human Nature comes to mind, because it came to grips with life in WW1. Others, like The Empty Child, feel to me like they are set in a historical context but aren't really about it if that makes sense.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I felt that Moffat never “respected” history in terms of trying to understand how people in the past felt about themselves and their times. So everyone was just a modern person in funny clothes. This episode was perfect. It had a real love for the time and place.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C2Jmg82_1g

Next episode preview clip. Doctor gets a Fez. :D

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    But
    she doesn't wear it when she steps out of the Tardis! :bigfrown:

Edit: Finally got around to watching the Punjab episode this morning. I really liked this one, and maybe even a bit more than Rosa because the "villians" made more "sense" in the context than the time-travelling white supremacist did.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    That's not a great ad for Kerblam, she must have ordered that two lifetimes and up to 800 years ago? She really needs to get Prime shipping.

Unless Eleven went to 2018 to place the order, or Thirteen is back in 2010 for a moment.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    She should have worn the Fez for the whole episode.

• Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    There's like a 99.9% chance those are cybermen, right?

• Options
    No old villains this series, or so we’ve been told.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Then how do they explain the reappearance of Doctor Who’s main recurring villain: uneven writing

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Then how do they explain the reappearance of Doctor Who’s main recurring villain: uneven writing

Boooo, get off the stage! :razz:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Steve Carell on the next SNL.
    https://youtu.be/Qwxhx4wBX0o

• Options
    Bah. Wrong thread.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I ordered the DW Barbie...

Not sure if it's for daughter or me yet, but think she will be getting the freakin dream house from grandma this Christmas so that world house may need someone to protect it.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Lee Mack has been cast violently against type as Lee Mack, but in a hi-vis jacket.