As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Donna had her entire experience taken away from her, I strongly feel she had one of the worst outcomes, even if she did get married and won the lottery.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Rose got to live in an parallel timeline with her mother, an alternate version of her father who is a rich inventor (and member of the government), and got her own human copy of the Tennant Doctor. IMO she probably made out the best of the nuwho companions

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Actually that is a plot hole; how come human!Tennant got to keep all his Time Lord memories when Donna had to have hers erased?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Actually that is a plot hole; how come human!Tennant got to keep all his Time Lord memories when Donna had to have hers erased?

Probably because he had regeneration energy and she didn't

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Rose got to live in an parallel timeline with her mother, an alternate version of her father who is a rich inventor (and member of the government), and got her own human copy of the Tennant Doctor. IMO she probably made out the best of the nuwho companions

There's also a deleted scene of the Doctor giving them a chunk of TARDIS to grow their own, and even though it was cut RTD likes to think it's still canon. So they're probably out having adventures too.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

There's also a deleted scene of the Doctor giving them a chunk of TARDIS to grow their own, and even though it was cut RTD likes to think it's still canon. So they're probably out having adventures too.

Well, she did manage to get back, somehow, that one time.
    Also, can I have an hilariously oversized death-ray that can one-shot Daleks too?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Do they not get any revenue from BBC America? Is it a pittance?
    IIRC There are specific guidelines for BBC funding where revenue for a particular show doesn't go specifically back to that show, but into the BBC's general pool of funds.
    I think it's supposed to prevent revenue chasing, and favouring particular shows on financial grounds rather than fulfilling the remit of the BBC which is a public service.
    So DW revenue from BBC America and merch and such isn't actually directly connected to the show's budget.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

I haven't listened to them myself, but there's actually a couple of Big Finish audio dramas that cover exactly that plot-line.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Don't know if this was posted, but I somehow missed it. They did a tribute during quarantine to the anniversary of Elisabeth Sladen's passing. It's basically an epilogue for The Sarah Jane Adventures called 'Farewell, Sarah Jane'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8sU45ax2Hs

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The former Doctor Who star Sylvester McCoy has said his initial reservations about a female Doctor were due to “stupid sexism” and that he would like the role to be played next by a person of colour.

Noice.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    The former Doctor Who star Sylvester McCoy has said his initial reservations about a female Doctor were due to “stupid sexism” and that he would like the role to be played next by a person of colour.

Noice.

It does make me happy when people realize their previous bigoted opinions were them being knobs.

I'm not sure if the next one will be, but if they don't bring back Jo Martin in an extended form to wrap up the Ruth Clayton storyline, Imma be pissed.

They've just left that kinda flapping in the breeze at this point, and while leaving it unanswered in the short term is fine, never dealing with it would be unforgivable.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2021
  • Options
    I have been watching the End of Time two parter with the David Tennant Doctor.

• Options
    The End of Time doesn't really make allot of sense.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The End of Time doesn't really make allot of sense.

I mean, if you ignore the first 10 minutes or so, it works fine. It's just like they started filming a completely different episode and changed scripts once the Doctor meets Wilfred, but didn't want to throw out everything they had filmed already.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Somehow the drumbeat in the Master's head is a signal to lead Gallifrey to Earth.
    It makes no sense.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Somehow the drumbeat in the Master's head is a signal to lead Gallifrey to Earth.
    It makes no sense.

Sufficiently advanced science is indistinguishable from magic (or from the writers pulling random stuff out of their asses).

sig.gif
  • Options
    It makes no sense.

I mean if thats your biggest problem with any of that special youre my hero

• Options
    It makes no sense.

I mean, it explains where the drumbeat comes from and they use time magic so hey now it's also responsible for ruining The Master's life and turning him into a crazy asshole.

And establishes just how heinous Rassilon is.

You're talking about a show where there's a time traveling police box and this is the thing that doesn't make sense?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    It makes no sense.

It's better than his first appearance where they think at the Doctor to defeat him? I like the show in general but it's almost always very silly.

Especially the broken morality. Family of Blood- the Doctor refuses to shoot the family (as Smith) during the standoff and this is portrayed as the Right Thing.

Never mind all the death afterwards..it's not shown but the family bombards the town. And then he doesn't kill them but he does torture them eternally so that's fine!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The Doctor has never really denied that he's a big honkin' hypocrite at times.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The Doctor has plenty of anger and rage in them that they keep a very tight lid on. Death to enemies would have been to easy. The Doctor doesn't really go for killing, but they really do like hoisting baddies on their own petards.

I Ioved the wrath of the Doctor bit at the end of the Family of Blood episodes. They wanted to live forever? Now they do. Fuck them.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I like the ending to End of Time. The Doctor visits past companions and saves some of them.

I will probably watch The Waters of Mars next. That is where he tries to change a fixed point.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I think I will also watch the first season of Matt Smith again. The Pandorica.

• Options
    TGalahadTGalahad Registered User regular
    I somehow have ended up giving my 5 year old a doctor who overview and he’s loving it. Not sure how we got started but here we are. I’ve shown him bits of the doctor regenerating to kind of explain that concept but have mostly kept it to Tennant and Smith episodes. Highlights for him so far (I skip over some parts to speed things up):

* This hand, it’s a fightin hand!
    * It’s a timey-wimey machine. It goes ding when there’s stuff.
    * The weeping angels. He LOVES them. I don’t get it, and was very careful about showing him them but he just thinks there’re great. A new favorite game is to be standing around the house with his eyes covered and then moving “fast” at me to send me back in time.
    * Daleks. Thinks they are fun and likes to be them and likes to battle them.
    * Fish fingers and custard. Really that whole episode (more on that in a bit) but the scene with the food just kills him. Bad beans... bad bad beans. Thinks this is hilarious.

Despite skipping around a bit to begin with we’ve settled at watching (at least some) episodes beginning with Matt Smiths introduction. Just finished the two parter with the angels moments ago and it was well received.

As for the me, this has reminded me why I love(d) this show. I didn’t appreciate how wonderful The 11th Hour was at the time but It. Is. So. Good. The music. The introduction of the characters and premise. The mystery... it is magical and is such a good jumping off point, IMO. I see myself coming back to this episode many more times over the years.

The Beast Below. I haven’t rewatched this one since it originally aired and I liked it a lot more this go round, and the theme is a nice compliment to the previous episode showing that the doctor also needs Amy/his companion, it’s not a one way street.

Victory of the Daleks. We skipped serval parts of this one but I’m still confused about the all new technicolor Daleks and what was supposed to become of that. Churchill is fun though, and continues the fun history of bringing in Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls cast members into the show.

Angels 2 parter. I followed the plot more this time (or at least now remember it) and am more accepting of the changes Moffat made to the angels here, though I coulda done without some of them. Still, it’s clever and introduces a lot of new ideas to them. I also still can’t get over Moffat uses time travel throughout his episodes, with Pandorica Doctor popping in for a moment. Wonderful little things like that make me appreciate him all the more as a showrunner.

• Options
    Yeah. They abandoned the colored Daleks. I liked them.

• Options
    Yeah a friend of mine had a bunch of us watch the 11th hour with him one day and that was my introduction to Doctor Who and it made a hell of an impression.

Seasons 5 and 6 were just really, really damn good.

• Options

Moffat was super keen on them at the time. I wonder what happened?

• Options
    Season five has the whole thing with the cracks.

• Options
    Showed the little guy (some of) Vampires of Venice tonight. It was... fine? I mean overall a fun romp with good moments but for me it’s still probably around average for the Davies/Moffat eras. (Whereas average is certainly enjoyable.) Doctor in the cake was fun. Rory with the broom was fun. “Cuz I’m a Time Lord and you’re a big fish.” was fun.

On another note the other week I went back and watched Midnight where Tennant ends up being stuck copying the speech of that alien. That’s a really well done and creepy episode. Biggest critique I’d have is that they let certain moments spin their wheels too long with the same thing happening (I.e. everyone screaming/arguing) but still, really nailed the vibe of a thriller there. Ended up with me diving into the wiki on that episode to learn more about the production, as that speaking at the same time stuff could not have been easy.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2021

Moffat was super keen on them at the time. I wonder what happened?

I'm not sure if this is why they didn't utilise them further, but I remember a lot of people complaining about them at the time and calling them 'Power Ranger Daleks'.
    I personally liked them, but I do think it's funny that they specifically created a new design to be the right height to be eye level with Karen Gillan and then hardly used them again while she was on the show.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    TGalahad wrote: »
    Showed the little guy (some of) Vampires of Venice tonight. It was... fine? I mean overall a fun romp with good moments but for me it’s still probably around average for the Davies/Moffat eras. (Whereas average is certainly enjoyable.) Doctor in the cake was fun. Rory with the broom was fun. “Cuz I’m a Time Lord and you’re a big fish.” was fun.

On another note the other week I went back and watched Midnight where Tennant ends up being stuck copying the speech of that alien. That’s a really well done and creepy episode. Biggest critique I’d have is that they let certain moments spin their wheels too long with the same thing happening (I.e. everyone screaming/arguing) but still, really nailed the vibe of a thriller there. Ended up with me diving into the wiki on that episode to learn more about the production, as that speaking at the same time stuff could not have been easy.

Yeah. Vampires of Venice is a bit of a stinker. Still, is not a bad episode.

• Options
    I wish they would fix the problems with the Capaldi moon and Robin Hood episodes. All they need are some visual effects fixes.

• Options
    I dunno I feel like the moon episode needs a whole lot more than that

• Options
    All the Robin Hood episode needs is for the arrow to go through a hole in the side of the ship and into the engine, not stick into the side of the ship.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Were those both from Capaldis first season? I feel like I really had a hard time with that one and was worried about the show at that point. IIRC the bright spots that year were the Orient Express episode and the finale. And like mentioned, the moon and the Robin Hood episodes were particular low points (along with that stupid forest episode but that may have been the next series).

Fortunately it turned around quickly and I would rank Capaldis next two seasons as some of my favorites for quality, top to bottom.

TGalahad on
  • Options
    Unrelated to that discussion, but over lunch today I put on an IGN interview with Jodie, Matt and David to promote the show being on HBO Max. One thing that struck me is just how big of a fan David Tennant is and you can just tell. He’s quite the ambassador for the show as a megafan who loves and knows old school Who and can bridge that generational gap with passion and enthusiasm that’s a bit unique I’d say. (Granted Capaldi wasn’t on there so maybe he’d also be of that ilk but I’ll assume not.)

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    46uTQrgh.jpg