As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I ordered the DW Barbie...

Not sure if it's for daughter or me yet, but think she will be getting the freakin dream house from grandma this Christmas so that world house may need someone to protect it.

I don’t think it matters who it’s for as long as it’s not delivered by Kerblam.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »
    I ordered the DW Barbie...

Not sure if it's for daughter or me yet, but think she will be getting the freakin dream house from grandma this Christmas so that world house may need someone to protect it.

I don’t think it matters who it’s for as long as it’s not delivered by Kerblam.

Hot Topic, so almost - Smaller, more aggressive products.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So the lesson there is that if you're going to go with automation, make sure it's total automation so nothing will go wrong because of the organicspeople.
    Although the whole evil plan would rely on everyone popping their bubble wrap, so it's not very relia- okay you know what never mind, that would work.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Good silly fun after last week was a bit heavy.

I feel like that plot could have been lifted wholesale from the pages of early 2000AD. Well other than how the hero resolved it of course.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The very end feels like it was added by some executive who was uncomfortable with the episode's critique of capitalism

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This episode feels more like a real Doctor Who episode. I am about to watch it in 10 minutes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Kerblam!
    A question begs to be answered, did she have to blow up the robots? Also, why do they always have to make the bots power down when the company powers down?

• Options
    Another historical episode coming up. BBC America keeps cutting off the previews.

https://youtu.be/WuIZ1cam8Y8

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Kerblam!
    A question begs to be answered, did she have to blow up the robots? Also, why do they always have to make the bots power down when the company powers down?
    Obviously they're powered by blockchain, so when the system goes down, they go down.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    That one hint in episode two aside, it does feel like they've just not bothered with a season long arc this year. Possibly they'll set one up for next year in the last episode, but maybe they've gone full bore for making this year accessible at any point in the run.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Another historical episode coming up. BBC America keeps cutting off the previews.

The previews in the first seasons gave away far too much information (especially those after the first of a two-parter). I'm glad they cut them off.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    It’s Doctor Who’s birthday today. 55 years. I watched the 50th anniversary episode the other day. Still fantastic.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    It seemed very implausible that
    Yaz and Ryan could make that jump from one conveyor to another without missing/spilling off, especially right after the custodian/villain very plausibly fell off the dangerous conveyor right after high-fiving someone.

But since this is Doctor Who, I smiled/shrugged and moved past it. This was a perfectly fine bottle episode, but I too feel that I missing out on any greater story arc of the season. I'm missing the little hints and mysteries of an arc.

Graham continues to be awesome. He is one charismatic, smooth talking retired bus driver!

• Options
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    That was not a phrase I'd heard before. Looking it up I can't really see how it applies to that episode at all?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    Yaz and Ryan could make that jump from one conveyor to another without missing/spilling off, especially right after the custodian/villain very plausibly fell off the dangerous conveyor right after high-fiving someone.

But since this is Doctor Who, I smiled/shrugged and moved past it. This was a perfectly fine bottle episode, but I too feel that I missing out on any greater story arc of the season. I'm missing the little hints and mysteries of an arc.

Graham continues to be awesome. He is one charismatic, smooth talking retired bus driver!

Graham, every episode, reminds me of Wilfred, and how much I wanted to see Wilfred be the companion for a season.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    My bad. That was the wrong use of the term bottle episode. I meant to say a one and done episode as opposed to one that is part of the greater narrative.
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Graham, every episode, reminds me of Wilfred, and how much I wanted to see Wilfred be the companion for a season.

Yes, but he's also a little younger and more able than Wilfred and someone who seems to be able to handle the rigors of being the Doctor's Companion a little better than good ol' Wilf.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Great, now I've fallen down a TV Tropes black hole of bottle episodes. :lol:

I though Red Dwarf's Marooned might be in there, and I was right!

• Options
    The bottle episode for Community was great.

• Options
    Isn't it funny how the current writing isn't exciting enough to talk about? Yay.

I am missing the Moffat times.

• Options
    I read something somewhere that both Chibnall and Whittaker are leaving next year? I can't remember where I read it and it hasn't popped up everywhere, so it's solidly at rumour stage right now.
    If it's true, I'd be sad about one of those.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »
    I read something somewhere that both Chibnall and Whittaker are leaving next year? I can't remember where I read it and it hasn't popped up everywhere, so it's solidly at rumour stage right now.

I seriously hope this is not a one season Doctor.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Isn't it funny how the current writing isn't exciting enough to talk about? Yay.

I like the new episodes. The Rosa Park one and the WW1 one were perfect IMO, both as Who episodes and for carrying a relevant moral for today's world.

I don't talk about them much because there's only so many ways I can say that over and over.

That said, my girlfriend and I are unpacking a lot after moving these days, and she loves to pop bubble wrap... or rather, loved. She's been unable to pop one since the Kablaam episode :lol: Me, I have never been interested in popping bubble wrap. Does that make me a weird alien monster?

sig.gif
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

I seriously hope this is not a one season Doctor.

If the rumour is to be believed she's a two season Doctor, along with the next season being even shorter because Chibnall was finding 10 episodes to be too much to deal with.

• Options
    If Chibnall can’t do the fucking job get rid of him.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Yup, honestly the weak parts of the show can be laid 100% on him at this point and if he's finding it too much there's no shame in moving on, no need to jettison a perfectly reasonable set of characters in the process.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Alan Cumming enjoyed himself there.

I think you could see the bite marks on the scenery in a couple of shots. I enjoyed the hell out of that episode.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    The rumor I was hearing regarding Whittaker leaving had nothing to do with her being forced out, it had to do with her wanting to work with Chibnall and if he's out she's following.

• Options
    But there’s no actual source to these rumours as of yet, is there?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

All rumors coming from Starburst, a British sci-fi magazine.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/11/21/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-chris-chibnall-leaving-season-12-2019/

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I wonder who else would be up for it.

Jamie Mathieson would be my top pick, but I just know he's great at single episodes, is probably a different skillset and maybe he'd be terrible at showrunning.

I'd be very sad to see Jodie leave with Chibbers, there's so much potential for them to turn it around...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    They just need to run it with the mystery of Moffat and the detail of Davies and it would be better.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I wonder who else would be up for it.

Jamie Mathieson would be my top pick, but I just know he's great at single episodes, is probably a different skillset and maybe he'd be terrible at showrunning.

I'd be very sad to see Jodie leave with Chibbers, there's so much potential for them to turn it around...

They may be joined at the hip (of course, this is merely rumours at this stage) but if so, I'd be sad but they should get a new show runner and Doctor, preferably a new female Doctor. Whitaker wouldn't be the first one season Doctor. Though I'd miss her more than the 9th Doctor, she's such a fantastic actress/character.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ahaha, that was a good line this episode. "If I was still a bloke I could just get on with this with no questions..."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

All rumors coming from Starburst, a British sci-fi magazine.

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2018/11/21/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-chris-chibnall-leaving-season-12-2019/

Theres a few other sources, ones that got when Matt Smith was leaving, the split seasons, etc. saying that Chibnall and Whittaker are unhappy. Chibnall is supposedly unhappy with BBC meddling with his stories and Whittaker unhappy with the marketing of the show. She has also stated that if Chibnall goes then she follows him.

I do feel for Chibnall, I said when he was first announced that he was my worry for the season, that his writing wasn't amazing in the episodes he did previously and giving him the whole show to run was a major risk.

However, It's pretty clear looking at how bad this seasons writing has been there must be something more substantial than it all coming down on Chibnall.

• Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I'm personally very surprised by people saying this seasons writing has been so bad.

I think this has been the most I've consistently enjoyed a season of Doctor Who in a good long time.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    They almost shipped Kablam out before the execs noticed

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg