As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

we still need to talk about [My Hero Academia]

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Manga spoilers for 258 chapter:
    Yeah, now we oficially begin our Now Shit Gets Real arc. I expect at the minimum All Might dying, Hawks or Endeavour dying (and probably both will die), the reveal of Dabi's true identity and the reveal of UA's traitor.

My final bets are that im 90 % sure its Kaminari and 10 % its Mei (as a wild guess, that as a mad inventor she is somehow connected to mad scientist Dr Ujiko).
    The mangaka himself forgot about the traitor, so that may have been a red herring.
    If you are talking about that one interview, then I assume that he simply was trolling. I mean, he is not gonna say "yeah, there is definitely a traitor, and it's gonna be a big twist!".

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Not that it will ever come up but awhile ago I had an idea of if One For All infinitely stocks up power is there gonna come a point in time where eventually nobody will be able to use. Like, if it got three times, or ten times, or a hundred times as strong as it is now will any person's body just explode if they try and use it?

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Yeah, now we oficially begin our Now Shit Gets Real arc. I expect at the minimum All Might dying, Hawks or Endeavour dying (and probably both will die), the reveal of Dabi's true identity and the reveal of UA's traitor.

My final bets are that im 90 % sure its Kaminari and 10 % its Mei (as a wild guess, that as a mad inventor she is somehow connected to mad scientist Dr Ujiko).
    The mangaka himself forgot about the traitor, so that may have been a red herring.
    If you are talking about that one interview, then I assume that he simply was trolling. I mean, he is not gonna say "yeah, there is definitely a traitor, and it's gonna be a big twist!".

A lot of Jump manga are shockingly "fly by the seat of our pants" when it comes to how far out they're plotted. It's actually pretty reasonable he did.

Kind of like Toriyama just up and forgetting Launch existed.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

A lot of Jump manga are shockingly "fly by the seat of our pants" when it comes to how far out they're plotted. It's actually pretty reasonable he did.

You need to eat the Oda Oda fruit to be able to plan your story with foreshadowing 10 years in advance.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

You need to eat the Oda Oda fruit to be able to plan your story with foreshadowing 10 years in advance.

I don't think Oda had everything planned, just a vague idea. Some stuff doesn't match up perfectly clean I think.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I don't think Oda had everything planned, just a vague idea. Some stuff doesn't match up perfectly clean I think.

True, but on the other hand:
    Labooooooooooooooooon

• Options
    There is a difference between forgetting small details and forgetting an that important of a plot point. If Horikoshi did that, then he would turn out to be a shockingly bad writer, and I think we can agree he is any thing but that, considering we are all still reading this story.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Gundi wrote: »
    Not that it will ever come up but awhile ago I had an idea of if One For All infinitely stocks up power is there gonna come a point in time where eventually nobody will be able to use. Like, if it got three times, or ten times, or a hundred times as strong as it is now will any person's body just explode if they try and use it?
    I think its reached its limit in that regard and thats why the other powers are emerging

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yo you might wanna spoiler that @King Riptor

• Options
    Chapter 259 spoilers:
    Well, things are going definitely too well currently, shit will hit the fan any minute now.

Kaminari screams into the forest, potentially alerting someone else to their presence?

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

• Options
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Details are in the tweet chain.

Latest chapter spoilers for details
    the doctors name, shiga maruta, connected to a japanese war crime in the past where they experimented on civilians in areas they conquered during WW2 and refused to acknowledge it. The people they experimented on were called "maruta". Shiga was also a bacteria they experimented with on them.

Explanation for how the name came up in-story (combining some others), but... Yeah.

They're changing the name.

• Options
    Editoral should have caught that long before it went to print and changed it. Nobody is looking great in this situation

• Options
    Yeah probably a good idea there.

Though admittedly that is a pretty fitting name for him based on what he does.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    horikoshi getting way too cute with his names. we know you like a play on words but cmon

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This feels like partially a reflection of Japan's tendency to kinda... wave away its part in horrifying war crimes.

Like oh, that guy? "Nobody remembers him! It'll be fine!"

Moriveth on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Did Aoyama just shit his pants?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Look man sometimes people shit their pants. Actually I suspect heroes shit their pants more than usual since they probably have less time to use the bathroom.

Also apropros of nothing but I'd absolutely watch a spin-off that is just the daily misadventures of the students of UA. (minus mineta)

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I started watching this a little while ago, as shonen series go it's not bad! Though I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that. I do find the more slice of life-y stuff a lot more fun than the actual action sequences for the most part, I just want these kids to have a good time at hero school!

• Options
    I just realized the one kid this week has Tommyknockers as a quirk

• Options
    Look man sometimes people shit their pants. Actually I suspect heroes shit their pants more than usual since they probably have less time to use the bathroom.

Also apropros of nothing but I'd absolutely watch a spin-off that is just the daily misadventures of the students of UA. (minus mineta)

There is one! .
    https://bokunoheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/My_Heroine_Academia

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Just catching up to the anime again, Overhaul:
    what a waste of an absolutely broken quirk. The guy could have made recovery girl look like a 3rd string bench warmer, once everyone got past how horrific the process is.

• Options
    Seal wrote: »
    what a waste of an absolutely broken quirk. The guy could have made recovery girl look like a 3rd string bench warmer, once everyone got past how horrific the process is.
    Well, he is just that guy from popular Spider-Man meme. He does not want to cure cancer heal people, he wants to turn people into dinosaurs make Yakuza great again.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The newest chapter is out on Mangaplus/Viz! Hop to it and go read!

silence1186 on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think the doctor may be fucked but also predict that this is just setting up for Shigaraki to come in and wipe them all out to show how powerful he's become.

Madican on
  • Options

I think that's part of the point of his character. He's a guy who could so easily do so much good but is so warped he's basically incapable of doing anything good for anybody, even when he intends to.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I think the doctor may be fucked but also predict that this is just setting up for Shigaraki to come in and wipe them all out to show how powerful he's become.
    I will be very surprised if we don’t see a few hero deaths come out of this situation.

I’m guessing we get all those high end Nomu released next chapter (what a dozen of them shown?)

And likely Shigaraki getting released early too (possibly as a way to not make him crazy overpowered because he wasn’t finished.)

• Options

I think that's part of the point of his character. He's a guy who could so easily do so much good but is so warped he's basically incapable of doing anything good for anybody, even when he intends to.

I assume he'll come back at some point because quirk evolution is a thing and his ultimate ideal world is the polar opposite of everyone else

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

I assume he'll come back at some point because quirk evolution is a thing and his ultimate ideal world is the polar opposite of everyone else

Yeah, about that...

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Yeah, about that...
    Listen I know his arms are gone but I am 100 percent sure he'll learn he can use his quirk with his feet or something. Also he knows exacrly how Eri's quirk works when nobody else has cracked it.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just realized why this latest arc was so good.

There was hardly any Mineta.

• Options
    i basically smiled through all of this episode

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I breezed through the entirety of the series & the movie over the past week, plus I’m now halfway through the manga.

I also picked up the two translated volumes of the School Briefs, and they’re fantastic - equal parts completely terrible/awesome.

Is there any way to watch the OVAs, legally?

Old post, I know, but my brother asked me this question, and was wondering if the situation has changed since then.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Eri too cute, gonna die.

I still really enjoy Bakugo being the butt of jokes of Class 1-A.

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Watching the latest dub episode. Pretty sure Gang Orca is my favorite hero design/name combination. He's so good.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    gang orca is pretty amazing design all around

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Gang Orca looks like his eyes are always so dry.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Watching the latest dub episode. Pretty sure Gang Orca is my favorite hero design/name combination. He's so good.

Him and a lot of the anthropomorphic heroes are repurposed designs from Horikoshi's previous manga, Oumagadoki Zoo so I am sure he's really polished up the design and has affection for the characters.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Bakugo being goaded into doing something good is always hilarious.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Is this arc considered filler or just odd main story?

I love how Gentle is consistently terrible at pouring tea.

steam_sig.png