As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Synagogue Shooting in Pittsburgh October 27 2018

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

From The Guardian. The header image on that account was a 1488 picture. Account itself was full of anti-semitism, lately focused on a Jewish organization supporting migrants/refugees.

Gab itself is the Nazi alternative to Twitter. You know, for the 12 Nazis Twitter doesn't tolerate and endorse.

Now that this is confirmed, some details of what was posted, etc. Click here, but obvious warning for what you'll see

His social media postings suggest that he's not a fan of Trump (like somebody else already mentioned, he's not outwardly racist enough) but he is insanely anti-immigrant and his final post before the attack was a reference to this. I'll bet this gets picked up on in the media as a motive. There's been A LOT of anti-immigrant hate for a while and even very recently with the latest caravan from Central America.

Also CNN is reporting that Trump is talking about canceling his rally tonight. So, he'll cancel the rally for a mass shooting but not multiple assassination attempts on his political enemies by his own superfan? That'll go over well.

He didn't cancel it for a cat 4* hurricane hitting Florida either. I think it is more that it is more that this happened in PA so they might just feel it is a security threat or something similar.

*cat 4 with 155 mph winds on land fall.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    I find it a sign of the times that the thread title has to have the location and the date in it. To differentiate it from all the other synagogue and mass shootings.

Note I am not criticizing. I am point out that is how many mass shootings we have. You have to fucking time stamp it or you get confused.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    I find it a sign of the times that the thread title has to have the location and the date in it. To differentiate it from all the other synagogue and mass shootings.

Note I am not criticizing. I am point out that is how many mass shootings we have. You have to fucking time stamp it or you get confused.

I felt being as unambiguous as possible would be a plus.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    It helps to have the date in there so that people don't post in it a few months down the line and then people think another one has happened.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    ABC has the death toll at 10 now.

ADL describes this as the deadliest hate crime directed towards Jews in US history.

City Council member confirmed that number to CNN.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Bower was licensed to carry, because being a fucking Nazi isn't grounds for suspicion.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    CNN

He's the worst and will always be the worst.

...if you need me, I'll be off beating my head against the wall and screaming into the twisted nether.
    Madican wrote: »
    CNN

...if you need me, I'll be off beating my head against the wall and screaming into the twisted nether.

Apparently we live in a world now where if you get shot, it's your own fault for not being able to fight back, and we should totally have to put armed guards in our places of worship.

He could at least try to appear to have a soul or any sort of empathy in public before he gives the obvious dogwhistle.

I can only imagine the bloody murder he'd be screaming if this had happened at a church instead of a synagogue.

Even the armed guards wouldn't help considering this guy apparently managed to kill three armed police officers who were very ready for him.

...just what the hell was this chucklefuck packing, and how'd he get ahold of it?

NBC News reported that he was armed with an "AR-15-style rifle and multiple handguns", I don't think anyone knows for sure how he acquired them but they sound like legally purchasable firearms

Welcome to America. Here's your anti-personnel ordinance.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    CNN

Madican wrote: »
    CNN

Apparently we live in a world now where if you get shot, it's your own fault for not being able to fight back, and we should totally have to put armed guards in our places of worship.

He could at least try to appear to have a soul or any sort of empathy in public before he gives the obvious dogwhistle.

I can only imagine the bloody murder he'd be screaming if this had happened at a church instead of a synagogue.

Even the armed guards wouldn't help considering this guy apparently managed to kill three armed police officers who were very ready for him.

...just what the hell was this chucklefuck packing, and how'd he get ahold of it?

NBC News reported that he was armed with an "AR-15-style rifle and multiple handguns", I don't think anyone knows for sure how he acquired them but they sound like legally purchasable firearms

Welcome to America. Here's your anti-personnel ordinance.

Too soon!

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The perpetrator shot multiple police officers but the police still managed to take him alive.

Just... contrast that with how often the police shoot unarmed individuals because they "felt they were in danger."

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Threat Assessment:

Armed Black Man *
    Unarmed Black Man
    Family Pets

Very Fine People / Armed Nazi's

*special note: May be armed with big gulp, cell phone, finger tip that looks threatening, candy bar

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The perpetrator shot multiple police officers but the police still managed to take him alive.

Just... contrast that with how often the police shoot unarmed individuals because they "felt they were in danger."

Oddly this has happened more recently than in recent years. Most mass shootings include suicide or suicide by cop.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    An 11th person has died. There is a 70 year old man undergoing a second operation for his injuries. He is one of six people wounded in the attack. Four of those six were police officers.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

The reports I saw said that he surrendered himself, after exchanging gunfire.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Police kill plenty of surrendered people as well.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm going to do some broad brush statements here and if any of our other resident Jews want to contradict me, that's fine.
    But for me, growing up Jewish in America, this was never in doubt. It was never ever going to be a question of If, but always When. And sometimes Who.
    Who was going to come shooting us and When.
    Was it going to be somebody from Arabic descent? Continuing a long-standing religious war?
    Was it going to be a radicalised one of our own? Taking offense at a synagogue having more modern views on things?
    Was it going to be somebody from the wild Left, somehow unable to distinguish that being Jewish doesn't make somebody a Zionist?
    Was it going to be a white nationalist Neo-Nazi who thinks the Germans were right?

It was never ever ever a question of If this would happen.

It's a thing that you just grew up with, it was internalized. It was part of the religion. Eventually, always, no matter what century, what millenium, what period in history, eventually, the Jew will be the target.

Sadly, some of those who grew up with this teaching choose to go the way of "Might means Right" and striking first means you can't be a victim.
    And some of us took it onboard as a reason to stand up for everyboy being oppressed.

I honestly wish I could say that I felt surprise or shock over this. But anybody that grew up as a Jew in America has known this was coming. For at least 3 years, we've been holding our breath, waiting.

that being said, fuck this. fuck donald trump. and fuck his daughter and son in law.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Or just shoot pre-teens within seconds of getting out of their police car.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

They shot at him, too. They just missed.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    CNN

I knew his response to this would be awful but it's the new and interesting ways he finds to be a deplorable human being that keep us on our toes.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    He doesn’t even pretend to care anymore

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

From The Guardian. The header image on that account was a 1488 picture. Account itself was full of anti-semitism, lately focused on a Jewish organization supporting migrants/refugees.

Gab itself is the Nazi alternative to Twitter. You know, for the 12 Nazis Twitter doesn't tolerate and endorse.

Now that this is confirmed, some details of what was posted, etc. Click here, but obvious warning for what you'll see

His social media postings suggest that he's not a fan of Trump (like somebody else already mentioned, he's not outwardly racist enough) but he is insanely anti-immigrant and his final post before the attack was a reference to this. I'll bet this gets picked up on in the media as a motive. There's been A LOT of anti-immigrant hate for a while and even very recently with the latest caravan from Central America.

Also CNN is reporting that Trump is talking about canceling his rally tonight. So, he'll cancel the rally for a mass shooting but not multiple assassination attempts on his political enemies by his own superfan? That'll go over well.

He didn't cancel it for a cat 4* hurricane hitting Florida either. I think it is more that it is more that this happened in PA so they might just feel it is a security threat or something similar.

*cat 4 with 155 mph winds on land fall.

Could be a bunch of his handlers and less insane, but still really shitty, fellow republicans didn't want him to do the rally. Given the tweets so far, safe to say the fucker would have likely said something super fucking vile and then they wouldn't have the option to try to walk it back by shit canning some random intern that posts stuff on his fucking tweeter feed. I fully anticipate he'll be whining later about how the fucking Nazi's actions are hurting GOP momentum. Completely refusing to get that his remarks on this shooting a wholly inappropriate.

Like seriously the first response to a mass shooting shouldn't be "they're at fault for not having armed security." I don't want live in a world where every building that has a huge gather is lined with walls, that have barbed wire on top and patrolled by heavily armed guards.

Mill on
  • Options
    It got worse, actually. At some theoretically non-political event Trump said that he almost cancelled the event... because standing under the plane of Air Force One had made his hair look bad.

• Options
    Paypal banned Gab. That's a start.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What the hell is Gab anyway?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Henroid wrote: »

Twitter for Nazis.

I know, that's redundant. But like Milo and Spencer and what not are on there.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular

Twitter for Nazis.

I thought that was already Twitter?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Take Twitter. Now take all the right wing people that think their moderation is too strict. That's Gab.

(so yes many many Nazis).

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Right wing version of Tweeter for the nut-jobs that get banned, rage quit when a nut-job gets banned, or think Tweeter is part of some Jewish conspiracy to control speech.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Twitter for Nazis.

I thought that was already Twitter?

Twitter for the Nazis even Twitter won't encourage.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So Twitter for HYDRA is my understanding?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »

They shot at him, too. They just missed.

Not surprised. Police tend to be pretty horrible shots and hobbyists are more likely to be better with their weapons than police are.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Twitter for Nazis.

I know, that's redundant. But like Milo and Spencer and what not are on there.
    Oh, I didn't know they actually got that stupid thing up and running.

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    No children among the casualties, according to the BBC. Thank God the baby at least is ok.

• Options
    Do we really need to get into who police ruthlessly execute and who they don't?

Or whether a hobbyist is going to be the more efficient killer because he spends more time at a range shooting paper targets?

Neither of those things is really about the victims, the killers motivation or the fucking harrowing manner in which our leadership is going to/has responded to this.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »

Or whether a hobbyist is going to be the more efficient killer because he spends more time at a range shooting paper targets?

Neither of those things is really about the victims, the killers motivation or the fucking harrowing manner in which our leadership is going to/has responded to this.
    These things don't happen / exist in a vacuum.

• Options

Shockingly America is really good at giving random cranks guns and giving them ideologies that encourage them train to be good at using them.

• Options

I guess what I'm asking is that can this thread not be another police grievance thread until a development actually warrants it.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

I guess what I'm asking is that can this thread not be another police grievance thread until a development actually warrants it.

I agree with RedTide. The cops took him alive, as they should if there is a possibility. It's definitely a fact to consider the next time we have a case like Antwon Rose (he's not forgotten!), but not now.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Police treatment of minorities is way too big of a topic to fit in this thread about a shooting in a synagogue. Keep it on-topic.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Outside of thinking that Trump was part of the conspiracy, what about his beliefs were that far away from a lot of pretty mainstream right wing opinions?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I mean, he's wholly bought into the idea literally everything is a plot orchestrated by Jewish people to destroy the white race. While that's not unexpected for the right it's far from mainstream, especially to be that open about it.

I ate an engineer