As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Kind of [Podcast] Do You Like?

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This had nothing to do with podcasts, but I don't care.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    Oh my god please tell me that's gonna be archived

That would become a Christmas tradition

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    That Just Cause 4 Quicklook is peak Giant Bomb open-world gameplay...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

The idle animation people do when you tether them is so disturbing and great

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Overwatch is one of the more successful eSports around right now so while someone may not enjoy it personally its hard to argue its a "bad sport"

I'm speaking more in terms of how easy it is to watch the thing, rather than a commentary on the quality of the game itself.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    The amount of money getting thrown around in eSports, especially for titles with zero competitive scene or watchability, these past few years is absolutely absurd. There's no way it could ever been sustainable or remotely profitable.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Overwatch League blows because it's this huge artificially built up thing designed to squash any independent competitive scene for the game from forming so that Blizzard has full control over it.

You can't compete with the thing that literally hosts it's livestreams in game and sells in game "jerseys" of the teams. You can't compete with the scene that literally gives it's members a salary.

And of course all that control of the scene has been used, intentionally or not, to lock out almost anyone who isn't a cis dude.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)
    cursedking wrote: »

The idle animation people do when you tether them is so disturbing and great

"oh Vinny, what have you done!"

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    I love how much shit rob gives patrick over those ritzy indie devs with their publishers

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    One thing I've started to notice a lot with waypoint is that Patrick has a habit of interrupting people way more often than everyone else does

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    One thing that makes esports weird is that there are new videogames, in the same genre and even series, every year. If they stick with one game, it begins to feel "old" or "outdated." If they jump to the new hotness, it feels like it's promo for the new release more than a dedicated competitive space. It's quite the catch-22

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Oh here's a depressing esports story. A dude in my monthly poker game is dating a pro LoL player. They've been together like six months, but their relationship is still a secret, even from the rest of his pro team - his friends and co-workers - because Gaming as a whole is so violently, virulently homophobic.

Shit sucks.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Oh here's a depressing esports story. A dude in my monthly poker game is dating a pro LoL player. They've been together like six months, but their relationship is still a secret, even from the rest of his pro team - his friends and co-workers - because Gaming as a whole is so violently, virulently homophobic.

Shit sucks.

Lets hope folks like SonicFox can help change that.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Overwatch League blows because it's this huge artificially built up thing designed to squash any independent competitive scene for the game from forming so that Blizzard has full control over it.

You can't compete with the thing that literally hosts it's livestreams in game and sells in game "jerseys" of the teams. You can't compete with the scene that literally gives it's members a salary.

And of course all that control of the scene has been used, intentionally or not, to lock out almost anyone who isn't a cis dude.

Eh, I kinda like the idea of a professional league with a lot of money behind it trying to make a more traditional sports league. It sucks that in most esports the players have to make due on tournament winnings to make a living, so if you're middle of the pack or worse do you make enough to support yourself on your esports skills alone? It's good that someone is taking things seriously enough to treat the competitors like they've got an actual job. Helps legitimize things with the general public, which esports has been trying to do forever. It's about time they build local arenas in all the cities the teams supposedly represent though so that local fanbases can ACTUALLY attend a match.

The lack of women and the homophobia are huge problems and it's stupid they haven't done anything about it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Zonugal wrote: »

Shit sucks.

Lets hope folks like SonicFox can help change that.

SonicFox is less interested in combatting homophobia than saying “yeah, you should be scared”

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    I think that is an extremely uncharitable reading of his comments which are largely him telling homophobes to fuck right off which is absolutely a good thing to do

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    The amount of money getting thrown around in eSports, especially for titles with zero competitive scene or watchability, these past few years is absolutely absurd. There's no way it could ever been sustainable or remotely profitable.

This is absolutely a problem, yes.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There are definitely a lot of grift-adjacent practices regarding professional esports that seem to be happening on a regular basis.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think it's a pretty fair reaction for an opressed minority to say, "ok, you want to both dismiss and disempower me while making me out as somehow a powerful monster? Fine, I know which half of that I'll double down on."

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    One thing that makes esports weird is that there are new videogames, in the same genre and even series, every year. If they stick with one game, it begins to feel "old" or "outdated." If they jump to the new hotness, it feels like it's promo for the new release more than a dedicated competitive space. It's quite the catch-22

To explore this more (because it is a very good point), do you think an element of that is the producers of these newer titles using the entire premise of esports for advertising/marketing?

And if so, how do we ever combat that?

I'd love if there was a retro tournament with stuff like Tekken Tag Tournament 1 or just standard Street Fighter 2 but if nobody puts up the cash...

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I think that is an extremely uncharitable reading of his comments which are largely him telling homophobes to fuck right off which is absolutely a good thing to do

I should be clear that I mean it as a compliment and I think that sonicfox is awesome. He has no interest in toning himself down for the approval of others, at all. It’s extremely admirable.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Eh, I kinda like the idea of a professional league with a lot of money behind it trying to make a more traditional sports league. It sucks that in most esports the players have to make due on tournament winnings to make a living, so if you're middle of the pack or worse do you make enough to support yourself on your esports skills alone? It's good that someone is taking things seriously enough to treat the competitors like they've got an actual job. Helps legitimize things with the general public, which esports has been trying to do forever. It's about time they build local arenas in all the cities the teams supposedly represent though so that local fanbases can ACTUALLY attend a match.

The lack of women and the homophobia are huge problems and it's stupid they haven't done anything about it.

I think that it would be a very bad thing to build esports arenas like we do football stadiums, if esports were to somehow get to that level of popularity.

Because boy howdy do professional sports leagues really like to use their draw and local fanbases to extort things out of cities on the taxpayers dime.

"Sorry, the Dallas Overwatch team is moving to Chicago because the city wouldn't pay for an expansion for their arena".

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Minorities in games, especially in big public setting like this, have had to take the high ground and take loads of abuse to get anywhere and still have to work next to people who call them slurs. I’m glad someone is just like “you know what fuck you guys you don’t deserve my civility” cause they don’t.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    Minorities in games, especially in big public setting like this, have had to take the high ground and take loads of abuse to get anywhere and still have to work next to people who call them slurs. I’m glad someone is just like “you know what fuck you guys you don’t deserve my civility” cause they don’t.

100%. For years it was “well if you act like we tell you to and keep everything that straight/white/cis people find unpalatable out of view we’ll embrace you as third class citizens”. SonicFox is an example of someone saying “I’m going to do whatever I want and you’re going to deal with it because I’m better than you”. He’s totally unafraid of who he is.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

I think that it would be a very bad thing to build esports arenas like we do football stadiums, if esports were to somehow get to that level of popularity.

Because boy howdy do professional sports leagues really like to use their draw and local fanbases to extort things out of cities on the taxpayers dime.

"Sorry, the Dallas Overwatch team is moving to Chicago because the city wouldn't pay for an expansion for their arena".

They’re gonna be real hard pressed to get public money for an unproven venture like esports when cities are even getting resistant to giving money to the NFL.

I’m talkin like a thousand seat theater here, not a billion dollar football stadium.

• Options
    @Poorochondriac, what would your ideal "retro" esports tournament look like, games-wise?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Please.

The city wouldn't pay for the arena expansion pack.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Poorochondriac, what would your ideal "retro" esports tournament look like, games-wise?

Let's all get together and play cash games of Warlords

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Give me competitive speed-runs of Crash Bandicoot mixed with competitive games of Crash Bash & Crash Team Racing.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Poorochondriac, what would your ideal "retro" esports tournament look like, games-wise?

Let's all get together and play cash games of Warlords

Make it Windjammers with Warlords intermissions and now we’re cooking with gas

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    singing podcast
    They're apparently working on making a Black Tapes TV show, which...maybe they'll figure out what that story actually is in that format? I'm way behind on the podcast, and I honestly don't know if I'm going to bother catching up

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    They're apparently working on making a Black Tapes TV show, which...maybe they'll figure out what that story actually is in that format? I'm way behind on the podcast, and I honestly don't know if I'm going to bother catching up

I think I gave up on that midway through the... second season? I know there was a peristent thing that bugged me about it, but I’ll be damned if I can remember what it was.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

I think I gave up on that midway through the... second season? I know there was a peristent thing that bugged me about it, but I’ll be damned if I can remember what it was.

ACTING

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    100% initially read that as huge breasts

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    100% initially read that as huge breasts

Until you said this I thought so too.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    David Sims also weighed in and called Aquaman “one of the better movies ever made”

has Downtown Griffey Newms voiced his opinions yet

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)
    So Aquaman and Wonder Woman are the DC ringers now huh

That’s pretty cool

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The new Transformers movie is sitting at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes.

That's 1% higher than the new animated Spider-Man movie.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    It's especially surprising considering both debuted in terrible performances in terrible movies.

I mean, aside from "MY MAN!"

that was the best thing he said in Justice League by far

the best thing anyone said?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.