As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What Kind of [Podcast] Do You Like?

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    I mean, how old is agent 47 actually

Diana looks like she's 50-60ish and 47 has to be older

but he's also a superscience genetic clone of the world's greatest criminals, so he has to have been generated at some point after... the end of the 1950s?

we need a zelda-esque chart for the Hitman timeline

They fucked up the timeline completely in the last one by having an adult 47
    kill the parents of Diana as a child, which would make him I dunno, 70 or some shit. The plot is dumb.

47 was grown in a vat, he was never a child. He was an adult in 1964 and has always looked like that.

They show 47 as a child multiple times in the recent games

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?

but he's also a superscience genetic clone of the world's greatest criminals, so he has to have been generated at some point after... the end of the 1950s?

kill the parents of Diana as a child, which would make him I dunno, 70 or some shit. The plot is dumb.

47 was grown in a vat, he was never a child. He was an adult in 1964 and has always looked like that.

Couldn't it be
    One of the dudes he was cloned from?

I mean yeah there were 46 before him, too. They all look exactly like that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I dunno, people talking about a tv show but not really about the tv show all the time?
    Mr. G wrote: »

Huh! Guess they retconned that into accelerated aging or something.

Anyway yeah there are a bunch of sci-fi handwavey ways to explain those inconsistencies.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    That is

An extremely weird group of characters that I am way into

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    the wiki says Diana is 46 years old

the CGI made her look far older

but I suppose a 9 year difference between her and 47 does allow for him to be a killer and her to still be a little girl

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    OTHER (aka the coward's option)
    I think she was about 13 when her parents died? Something like that? That would make her 46-47ish in 2019

47 would be a young adult in 1985.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

No he grows up like a normal child, they show pictures of him

• Options

Couldn't it be
    One of the dudes he was cloned from?

No, they don’t look like him. He looks like all of them, out together. They’re the targets from the first game.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'm making my way through the Giant Bomb christmas stuff

Jeff getting 3 red skittles in a row and guessing different flavors each time was amazing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think this game which exists in an extremely heightened reality might be playing a bit fast and loose with their timeline and whether or not things make perfect logical sense probably isn't paramount.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Podcasts With a Guy Playing a Character Talking to People Who Are Also Characters
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Polearms>Axes>Swords

However only if the Polearms are being used in a cool flashy twirly bullshit manner

Regular boring stab stab polearms can get bent

hmm, that is a valid point

when stabbing with a polearm, there is always a risk of bending the pole, and thereby compromising it's accuracy

great observation

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

Anyway yeah there are a bunch of sci-fi handwavey ways to explain those inconsistencies.

My read is (Hitman 2 spoilers if the quote tree looses the tag)
    Diana is roughly 40, but looks a bit older depending on your opinion. She was 12 or so at the time of the bombing, which allows 47 to be in his mid 50s if that hit was right at the start of his career in his early to mid 20s

Also maybe throwing this stuff around outside of spoiler tags is a bit much, it's a silly story but it's only like 2 months old.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    The Waypoint winter holiday clip show sure went to some wild places. Like place here:

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

This is insane

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The Waypoint winter holiday clip show sure went to some wild places. Like place here:

Yeah, I started playing that game

It’s, uh, a lot

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    This is genuinely rad as hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

My read is (Hitman 2 spoilers if the quote tree looses the tag)
    Diana is roughly 40, but looks a bit older depending on your opinion. She was 12 or so at the time of the bombing, which allows 47 to be in his mid 50s if that hit was right at the start of his career in his early to mid 20s

Also maybe throwing this stuff around outside of spoiler tags is a bit much, it's a silly story but it's only like 2 months old.

The stuff that's outside of spoilers is just like, the premise of the game.

• Options
    The Hitman games are frustrating because 3 of them (Codename 47, Contracts, Blood Money) have realised that it's a fun, pulpy premise to tell a simple, dumb story with and the rest of the series has been convinced that it's some operatic masterpiece that needs grand conspiracies and a rich backstory.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

I hear the bell ringing

What’s that? The jersey’s coming down from the rafters? A friendly old woman says hello? All telltale signs of the unretirement of a bit!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I am bummed but also the normal bit is better than Griffins awful version of it he was doing after the "retirement"

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    The Hitman games are frustrating because 3 of them (Codename 47, Contracts, Blood Money) have realised that it's a fun, pulpy premise to tell a simple, dumb story with and the rest of the series has been convinced that it's some operatic masterpiece that needs grand conspiracies and a rich backstory.

There is something... nice about specifically the premise and intro of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin too where he's trying to make a go of it caring for his tiny tomato garden and creating life instead of ending it before it all goes to shit

of course then as a game it's not great but there's that

sig.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I am bummed but also the normal bit is better than Griffins awful version of it he was doing after the "retirement"

The Big Ben chimes part of the bit made me laugh every single time

• Options

There is something... nice about specifically the premise and intro of Hitman 2: Silent Assassin too where he's trying to make a go of it caring for his tiny tomato garden and creating life instead of ending it before it all goes to shit

I kind of hated it, but I get where you're coming from. I liked the idea (and there was only one game at that point) that 47 is just kind of a weird alien who is extremely good at one thing and so does that because it's all he knows how to do. Having him have a crisis of conscience and find religion felt a little... obvious to me. Then again, I hated that game with the fiery intensity that only someone in their teens/early 20s can muster and I'm not sure I ever completely shook my somewhat irrational hatred of every part of it. For me it took every step wrong that it possibly could, and some of those mistakes are still in the series to this day.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Hitman's story is good

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

I kind of hated it, but I get where you're coming from. I liked the idea (and there was only one game at that point) that 47 is just kind of a weird alien who is extremely good at one thing and so does that because it's all he knows how to do. Having him have a crisis of conscience and find religion felt a little... obvious to me. Then again, I hated that game with the fiery intensity that only someone in their teens/early 20s can muster and I'm not sure I ever completely shook my somewhat irrational hatred of every part of it. For me it took every step wrong that it possibly could, and some of those mistakes are still in the series to this day.

I mean that one level in the snow with the trucks is enough to write that game completely off so I feel you.

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Hitman's story is good

which one

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Hitman's story is good

which one

ʜɪᴛᴍᴀɴ

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hitman 2 has a dumb plot, but I spent twenty minutes yesterday running around a castle and slapping people with a fish, so, I'll forgive it a lot

• Options
    I actively sought out and enjoyed all in mission story content in hitman

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I guess I've never really seen plot as the draw of the Hitman franchise. Which isn't to say you can't enjoy the plot of course, but I kind of figured people were there for the "carefully craft a plan and then desperately flail about in a panic as it all goes horribly wrong" gameplay.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I think story-wise my favorite part about Hitman/2 is all the little side-stories you get from just characters around the levels. I haven't played any HItman game other than the 2 most recent installments however, so I don't know how much of that was there previously.

• Options
    There's only one game titled Hitman

There's only one game titled Hitman 2

sig.gif
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    The fun part of the plot of the recent hitman games is moving through the levels and finding the weird connections between events/targets that are laying around

There’s a surprising amount of connections between targets that are just passed along through conversations people in the level are having about them. It’s neat!

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

The last 30 seconds or so are A Lot, this is very good

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Hitman 2 has a dumb plot, but I spent twenty minutes yesterday running around a castle and slapping people with a fish, so, I'll forgive it a lot

And then you played Hitman 2?

Moriveth on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I actively sought out and enjoyed all in mission story content in hitman

I agree with this! That stuff was all great. I especially loved the stuff with Jebediah Block in the last mission.

It's the frame plot that I think is stupid.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I realized quickly that I don't really enjoy playing the new Hitman games at all, but I very much enjoy watching other people's shenanigans in same

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I realized quickly that I don't really enjoy playing the new Hitman games at all, but I very much enjoy watching other people's shenanigans in same

It's a perfect stream game because it both lets you set clearly defined goals, so there's something implicitly engaging for the viewer, and will almost certainly throw some curveballs at you that require improvisation, which is exciting and oftentimes hilarious.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Oh, that reminds me, speedrunner TheKotti updated his Hitman Roulette app for Hitman 2: https://thekotti.github.io/hitman.html
    This site will randomize stuff for you ala Mexican Rules Hitman, giving you random kill types, entrances, exits, and disguises for any target, potentially including complications like "No Crouching" or "No throwing items for distractions." It also has support for Contracts mode, giving you random targets to take out, and alternate bonus episode versions of levels like The Icon or Holiday Hoarders.

Crippl3 on
This discussion has been closed.