As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Darklyre wrote: Β»
    So now that I'm flush with rubies, I need to figure out what abilities to make. I've already grabbed:

Blastspell Strike
    Stormspell Strike
    Voltech
    Healing Smite
    Sapphire Bullet

I'm grabbing the Samurai fire ability for sure, since I now have Gilgamesh CSB and Auron USB2. Dark Valefor would be nice for Alphinaud (CSB/USB2), but I have no other users. Lunar Ifrit would work on Terra and Krile, but I've already got Valigarmanda and Meltdown and Chain Firaja might be better. I don't need the Thief wind ability since Cloud/Zack/Celes/Bartz are permanently on the wind team, but the fire one might be nice for Locke (Glint/AOSB). Chain Thundaja would be good but my magical lightning team is pretty stacked as it is.

All of the 6* black magicks are good, if you can afford the crystals to hone them. Burnt Offering is pretty fantastic if you have any machinists, as will be the ice equivalent which should drop with the next batch of abilities. Earth Ironfist is the only non-awful option for Earth monks at the moment - Fire monks can get by with Fires Within for now, it's still another month-ish until we get the Earth version.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    In folks' experience, what's the uptime on the 35% chance to get 3 charges of Quickcast after X action type Legend Materia, after the first proc?

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    These warrior fights are a bit rough.
    Enlong wrote: Β»
    So, I said earlier I might have a strategy for Syldra. It’s one that’s pretty well sustainable for about half of her life bar.

Turns out I forgot that about halfway through the fight, she puts a defensive buff on herself that stacks with Rage and uses an odd combination of stats (DEF/RES/MND) that can’t be stripped with any abilities. This makes it impossible for Manticore to do significant damage outside of Rage, never mind stripping Rage. And this is on top of ever-increasing Imperil Wind stacks making healing a losing prospect.

So, no. Turns out I do not have a working strategy for Syldra. And I doubt that anything I now have would be.

Radiant shield! Or AASB.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So now that I'm flush with rubies, I need to figure out what abilities to make. I've already grabbed:

Blastspell Strike
    Stormspell Strike
    Voltech
    Healing Smite
    Sapphire Bullet

I'm grabbing the Samurai fire ability for sure, since I now have Gilgamesh CSB and Auron USB2. Dark Valefor would be nice for Alphinaud (CSB/USB2), but I have no other users. Lunar Ifrit would work on Terra and Krile, but I've already got Valigarmanda and Meltdown and Chain Firaja might be better. I don't need the Thief wind ability since Cloud/Zack/Celes/Bartz are permanently on the wind team, but the fire one might be nice for Locke (Glint/AOSB). Chain Thundaja would be good but my magical lightning team is pretty stacked as it is.

People like Beasteh aside, I think I've burnt the most rubies. Ones I've made:
    Chain Firaja (probably not needed, but I've got lots of fire mages so it sees use)
    Chain Thundaja (lacking chain I need firepower)
    Chain Waterja (lacking chain I need firepower but it still didn't work)
    Voltech
    Chain Stoneja (used for sub-30 clear)
    Lunar Leviathan (see Chain Waterja)
    Stormspell Strike
    Inferno Assault (5 hits, only Bartz burst I had was fire at the time and I didn't need an earth spellblade, this was made for him for torment)
    Flash Disaster
    Ironfist Earth
    Fire Assault
    Storm Assault
    Healing Smite
    Sapphire Bullet

I'd highly recommend the thief abilities for torments, pick the element you use more of - it helps offload healer requirements, and teams that have both that and Healing Smite can last a good bit longer.

Ironfist Earth gets some mileage, but I've got a ton of earth monks (and pretty much no fire monks).

Flash Disaster is fine, but I use it more for meter generation than anything else, honestly.

• Options
    In folks' experience, what's the uptime on the 35% chance to get 3 charges of Quickcast after X action type Legend Materia, after the first proc?

For the most part, once it's processed once, it tends to stay up.

They're useful but not amazing.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Evaluate how much other quickcast is in your team before you go for it. There is a lot of quick cast granting going on these days.
    If there is none then its useful.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Brainfarted and forgot that I already had Ironfist Earth, Flash Disaster, and Chain Stoneja honed up.

Burnt Offering might work - I have Mustadio USB, and he has an extremely good dive. I just need to figure out how to fit him on a fire team. I wasn't a big fan of the Machinist imperils before, but King just demolishes with them.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    These warrior fights are a bit rough.
    So, I said earlier I might have a strategy for Syldra. It’s one that’s pretty well sustainable for about half of her life bar.

Turns out I forgot that about halfway through the fight, she puts a defensive buff on herself that stacks with Rage and uses an odd combination of stats (DEF/RES/MND) that can’t be stripped with any abilities. This makes it impossible for Manticore to do significant damage outside of Rage, never mind stripping Rage. And this is on top of ever-increasing Imperil Wind stacks making healing a losing prospect.

So, no. Turns out I do not have a working strategy for Syldra. And I doubt that anything I now have would be.

Radiant shield! Or AASB.

No Arcanes for me on the physical side of things, but maybe I could do some insane strategy of Alphinaud and 4 white mages, if I feel like burning a couple hours on a clear. Or maybe Alphinaud, 2 white mages, Laguna, and Ayame? I dunno; anything short of Snow + Laguna + Squall or Ayame probably isn’t enough to break Rage, and every one of them reduces my ability to heal. Hrm.

If only Syldra didn’t do NulFrost, or if Manticore could Imperil Ice. I might be able to replace Laguna with Alphinaud or Shelke.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Mustadio USB + LD + Burnt Offering is the backbone of my Mateus clear. I haven't taken a serious run at Manticore yet, but I may try to shoehorn him into that team in the hopes that a fat stack of imperils will help Phoenix to repeatedly break the rage mode.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Replacing Laguna with Mateus is a bad idea. He can’t break Rage, and Syldra NulFrosts faster than the Magicite can be re-used. I wonder if Snow’s chain can be replaced by giving Laguna Lifesiphon to use his Ultra as often as possible. Except then I lose out on any real damage potential from Laguna himself.

I need 6 or 7 character slots.

I also need to stop flooding the thread with this topic.

Enlong on
  • Options
    I doubt anyone minds. What's this thread for, if not to toss ideas around? Otherwise it'd be nothing but relic pull posts.

• Options
    Yeah. Sorry, I get weird when I think, for some reason, that I’m making things too much about myself.

I think for Syldra I really am gonna have to wait for the next Machinist ability. It would really improve Laguna’s ability to Imperil, both because he has a better chance on the command itself, and because it would be faster meter generation. If I can somehow keep her near 4 or 6 stacks, that might help stabilize my damage. The problem then becomes surviving. Imperil Wind is a real problem, and giving Ramza Affliction Break only does so much. Especially since it sharply limits how much he can Entrust to Relm without losing Burst Mode altogether.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah. Sorry, I get weird when I think, for some reason, that I’m making things too much about myself.

I think for Syldra I really am gonna have to wait for the next Machinist ability. It would really improve Laguna’s ability to Imperil, both because he has a better chance on the command itself, and because it would be faster meter generation. If I can somehow keep her near 4 or 6 stacks, that might help stabilize my damage. The problem then becomes surviving. Imperil Wind is a real problem, and giving Ramza Affliction Break only does so much. Especially since it sharply limits how much he can Entrust to Relm without losing Burst Mode altogether.

What are you running on Ramza now? His BSB2 already has a Wrath C2, so he should be able to carry Entrust and Affliction Break.

Edit: Alternatively, if you have Larsa USB or BSB, what about having him Astra away an imperil, then Entrusting to Relm?

Edit 2: Nope, forgot that imperil isn't a debuff and doesn't get blocked by Astra.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Mateus is done, finally. A mess of failures, two perfect runs in-between, and bookended by barely hanging on finishes for the first and last.

An attempt at Manticore got me to about 95% before collapsing. I'm hoping I can cheap this one too and just power through it without having to use more hones/crystal waters.

• Options

What are you running on Ramza now? His BSB2 already has a Wrath C2, so he should be able to carry Entrust and Affliction Break.

Edit: Alternatively, if you have Larsa USB or BSB, what about having him Astra away an imperil, then Entrusting to Relm?

Edit 2: Nope, forgot that imperil isn't a debuff and doesn't get blocked by Astra.
    He can carry both. The problem is that I’ve no safety net if his Burst drops after an Entrust. It requires tighter planning than just carrying Wrath and Entrust, and he’ll need to re-up the bust sooner than I usually would.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm realizing how I probably should have pulled harder on the banner with all that Alphinaud stuff, because I'd have a very workable magic-wind team with his chain and Ultra

• Options
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Mustadio USB + LD + Burnt Offering is the backbone of my Mateus clear. I haven't taken a serious run at Manticore yet, but I may try to shoehorn him into that team in the hopes that a fat stack of imperils will help Phoenix to repeatedly break the rage mode.

Doing some mathcrafting with the spreadsheet linked from this reddit post. Obviously, if you want your magicite followup attacks to break rage mode, you definitely need a chain, and you probably want imperils.

The more interesting thing I'm getting from playing around, is that raw stats for your magicite actually make a pretty big difference, too. A theoretical team of five Phoenixes with maximum stats inheritance can get the job done vs Manticore at much lower chain counts than a team of Phoenix/Firemane/King Bomb/Maliris/Evrae with only 75% stats inheritance. With a gen-1 chain (and ignoring the RES buff/debuff war that will inevitably be going on in that fight), at the baseline of 20% elemental weakness, it's a question of needing a chain count of ~30 vs a chain count of ~60.

• Options
    Wild idea - since a bunch of Support skills are useless in top end content (or all content, in the case of Quadruple Foul), imagine a 6* attack that gives a high chance of a 10% elemental field bonus, like the flip side of Machinist imperils.

• Options
    We are too close to chain debut to get an ability that replaces them. We just got Hastega and haven’t gotten medica yet.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    I still think we'll see a "break resist break" show up eventually as a 6* Support.

Wastes an ability slot for an actual useful break, but opens Support back up to being useful on top content if you commit to it.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man Multiplayer 220 Gilgamesh is annoying as fuck.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    I still think we'll see a "break resist break" show up eventually as a 6* Support.

Wastes an ability slot for an actual useful break, but opens Support back up to being useful on top content if you commit to it.

Maybe as a relic, I can’t imagine an ability doing that.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Okay, I've thrown myself at Phoenix and Belias in various ways and I'm getting nowhere. Crowdsourcing both if anyone can be of any assistance. TRYING to keep this on-element

Physical water SBs/other offensive things of note:
    Edge: Unique, BSB, Legend Dive, LMR
    Jecht SSB
    Yuffie: BSB2 (I think it's 2 - instant AoE imperil), USB2, Legend Dive, LMR
    Kimahri: BSB
    Paine: BSB, USB, Legend Dive
    Rikku: BSB1, BSB2, USB
    Tidus: BSB2 (I think? The self powerchain one), OSB
    Wakka: BSB, USB, Legend Dive
    Bartz: wBSB, OSB, Legend Dive, LMR

Magical water SBs/other offensive things of note:
    Terra: Unique
    Arc: BSB, USB
    Gogo (V): BSB
    Strago: BSB, LMR
    Gogo (VI): BSB, Bubsy
    Alphinaud: USB, Legend Dive, I guess, Also has SSB, noted in Support
    Palom: USB, I guess?
    Rydia: LMR
    Rinoa: Glint, Legend Dive, I guess?

Support of note:
    OK: BSB, pUSB, mUSB, Legend Dive, LMR
    Shelke: Legend Dive, LMR, BSB (not that it matters)
    Curilla: USB
    Alphinaud: SSB
    Tyro: USB1, USB2, USB3, LMR, Legend Dive
    Ramza: BSB2, SSB1/2, Legend Dive, LMR
    Mog: USB1, USB2
    Red XIII: BSB, USB, Legend Dive

Healers of note:
    Arc: SSB (only included because of above)
    Hilda: USB (I guess, haven't like...ever used this)
    Lenna: USB, BSB1, BSB2
    Aerith: USB1, USB2, BSB1, BSB2, Legend Dive
    Selphie: USB...not sure? Instant reraise and astra. SSB1 and both bursts, too. Legend Dive
    Eiko: USB, Legend Dive
    Larsa: USB, SSB, BSB, Legend Dive
    Penelo: USB, BSB2? (last stand), half dive, LMR
    Deuce: USB, BSB

I've got so many pieces that can fit in so many configurations, but nothing that seems to properly nail either. Nothing stands out as something I can vomit motes at, and any "hone it up" stratgies would be desperation and liable to fail still. Hurm.

• Options

Yeah, that one was annoying as hell. I actually made it through with someone where we only had two real DPS, but too much healing. He killed both DPS, but I have Deuce's USB which has raise, so we timed it to do that, get them fully healed and behind wall, and just plink our way to eventual victory.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: Β»

Yeah, that one was annoying as hell. I actually made it through with someone where we only had two real DPS, but too much healing. He killed both DPS, but I have Deuce's USB which has raise, so we timed it to do that, get them fully healed and behind wall, and just plink our way to eventual victory.

I did the 220 solo, and that fight is aggravating just because nothing actually happens 90% of the time. I went through an entire chain without the breaksight ever appearing. He didn't even hit me during that time!

• Options
    @Jragghen I think you are looking at partial radiant shield plus Bartz and tidus and healer bsb to grind Phoenix down. It’s unpleasent at best.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Yeah I think I'm gonna retry it later but man is it annoying. I mean it's 1 mythril but UUUUUUUUUGGHHH.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    @Jragghen I think you are looking at partial radiant shield plus Bartz and tidus and healer bsb to grind Phoenix down. It’s unpleasent at best.

Yeah, that's kinda where I've landed but haven't made work yet.

Oh, I forgot to include Ingis BSB as support. I've been doing him buffing Bartz up with an entrust bot on the healer and Curilla as the radiant source (with a MAG and MND breakdown, which DOES reduce phoenix's heals, but only by like 10%) and trying to solo heal it, but it's....not going great. I think the best run was about 1/3rd of the health left, and I'd already hit 1 minute.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Any chance of squeezing an imperil in there, or would that come at too great a cost?

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Any chance of squeezing an imperil in there, or would that come at too great a cost?

Any imperil would have to come by way of replacing Ignis (healing definitely can't keep up without the entrust bot and/or a second healer), so it'd preferably be an imperil with a boost which would be

*checks*

None of them.

Wakka's USB is a break, but that's it. Or I could try to eschew radiant shield altogether, but that doesn't seem like it'd be productive.

e: tl;dr - my water team leaned HEAVILY on ninjas, so having a boss designed to screw with them kinda screws me :V

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Yeah I think I'm gonna retry it later but man is it annoying. I mean it's 1 mythril but UUUUUUUUUGGHHH.

Solo it if you can, and bring a dark or holy chain if possible. Even though you'll hit for almost nothing, you'll still run up the chain count. I blew through 60% of his HP once the first breaksight appeared.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I have over 200 mythril and nothing that looks good to spend it on. So I'm just wiling away the final hours of the discounted hard realm dungeons just plugging away at as many as I can for practically free mythril. I mean, some of the early ones even give away double stamina shards, so it's been a fun way to pass time.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    This bahamut 220 is.... very bad

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: Β»

Soak damage with the crystal shield to build up the Crystal add or you die!

The Crystal Shield lasts 1 second!

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    If you have Galuf invulnerability, just cheese Bahamut Fury.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular

About the same as my interest in trying to do it.

Reminds me of the same thing I experienced trying to do the optional battle against Anima in the FFXIII portion of the Record Dungeons- it doesn't matter what you do, if you don't pop Protect right off, it doubletaps one of your characters and that's all, folks. It's just a pain because I like to finish all of the dungeons I can, and this one's just sitting there, unfinished.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options

About the same as my interest in trying to do it.

Reminds me of the same thing I experienced trying to do the optional battle against Anima in the FFXIII portion of the Record Dungeons- it doesn't matter what you do, if you don't pop Protect right off, it doubletaps one of your characters and that's all, folks. It's just a pain because I like to finish all of the dungeons I can, and this one's just sitting there, unfinished.

Remind me to dig up the strategy I used for it when I have the time.

• Options
    The record dungeon optional areas are pretty much puzzles and you need to use the right abilities at the right time or die. GoldR was somehow worse than anima with timing the jumps.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Found it.

To quote myself:

β€œI used Abilities on the front arm, making sure to have Snow use Bonecrusher on turn 1 so that the arms wouldn't hit Elarra (meanwhile, Elarra held action and healed Snow after the arms hit him). Once [the first arm] was dead, I had Sazh MBD the other arm and launch everything at the main body. The Choco-Chick was ready after my second MBD was used, so I was able to blink the third Resonant Magic. I think Snow died at some point, but I got it done.”

An important bit of info is that the arms target whoever has the lowest HP percentage. Having Snow open with Bonecrusher damages him and sends the attacks his way, and he can take it, especially if Elarra is ready with a heal for him.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Is fest done in 30 min?

38thDoE on steam

This discussion has been closed.