As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Boom, got 'im!
    4Bhg3N2l.jpg

Key was realizing that the problem was dealing with the Tank Purges and the stuff that hits right after them. For some reason I had it in my head that Slot 2 took the most abuse, so I had had Yda stationed there, but in the parts where I was having trouble, Slot 4 was the one getting beat up. So I put her royal tankiness there, and things worked out!

Team:
    Papa: Shellga, Chain Firaja R4 (overkill), LMR+Glint+BSB+OSB, much weakness damage
    Cid: fire machinist stuff (emptied out a R4 Burnt Offering), USB, much gun damage
    Yshtola: Protectga, Holy, BSB, Mako Might
    Yda: Fires Within R4, Fire Ironfist R4 (pretty much emptied both of them), BSB+USB, much fist damage
    Alphinaud: Hastega, Curada, SSB+BSB, Dr. Mog's
    Magicite: Unicorn active (cure Sap, clutch Cura/Curaja), general defense, wind resist, fire offense, Evrae

How much of the rewards do you get for that time?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Oh my god.

Just managed to get an Infernal Ifrit clear at the last moment. Went to the Reddit Discord, found a group, took a few tries to work out the kinks, then when we finally get to phase 6, one of the people starts OSBing the boss, claiming lag messed up their targeting. So I had to race to kill 4 waves of nails before getting sabotaged and wiping after a 20 minute attempt.

I thought for SURE we were doomed when he cast meltdown at the big nail, and the W-cast went to the boss and it went to invisible pixel of health. Fortunately my Terra OSB and my teammates Krile AOSB finished the big nail off before the saboteur could do anything else. He D/Ced in phase 7, but I had three bars on Ovelia USB, and the other healer had two bars on Elarra USB, so we managed to tank it out.

So nerve wracking. Great story after the fact, but it was not fun at the time.

I thought for sure this was going to turn into another Parade Float for me. Technically speaking, it's a cool fight, but dear god was that frustrating and difficult to defeat. Hands down the hardest boss in FFRK to date.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah. I appreciate that it exists, but I wish it could stick around until I can actually win, haha.

I justness love that it manages to make FFXIV mechanics work in the ATB system.

Searing Wind is a debuff that damages people standing near the healers, forcing you to position them away. So here, it’s a thing that hits people adjacent to a random character with high Mind. Positioning means putting those people in the outside slots.

Radiant Plume is an area attack that you need to move out of before it lands. Here, defensive positioning is done with the Defend command, allowing you to avoid the attack.

Certain attacks, if you let them hit, will inflict a general vulnerability up debuff. In FFRK, that mechanic is elemental, so they turned it into Imperil Fire. You can even try to avoid the debuff with Affliction Break, like avoiding attacks.

I hate that I failed it, but I love how faithful and creative it was.

Enlong on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Dream Relic Draws are up, for the whales out there. I'm still ok with treating myself so I did a few pulls

BSB draw: Cinque LMR (dupe). Pick to be decided.

Ugh.

OSB draw: Iris USB (dupe), Reks USB. Picked Bartz OSB

A realm buff/lightning radiant, sure. Bartz is a 4 element monster and given he is on most of my physical Magicite teams, breaking Savage mode option is good.

LMR Draw: Gaff BSB (dupe), Marach BSB, Irvine BSB2, gogo V BSB (dupe), squall glint (dupe), Alphinaud LMR. Picked Tyro LMR

Gaf dupe is the only real stinker here. Marach is one of the two Tactics characters I didn't have a relic for, so sorry Delita you're alone in the suck zone now. Picked up Irvine USB and BSB1 earlier so ok. Gogo is a +water rod so even if it's a dupe, it's getting use. Same with Squall glint, I have a shortage of +ice armor. Alphinaud gonna really wreck faces now, I'm only missing his chain and glint. And since I pulled GodWall earlier, Tyro's lmr completes him.

Then I pulled on the New Year's draw again (want: cloud, bartz, TGCid USBs):. CHICKEN KNIFE. FRIGGIN' FINALLY!

Yay!

I might pass on taking another shot for Cloud and Orlandeau; Orlandeau's USB should recur in the Tactics banner 2 later this month/next month, and that's also a chance to get Marche USB and/or Ramza/Agrias USB2. I do have a lot of dupes there however. Hmm.

Good luck to anyone who is dropping gems.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Boom, got 'im!
    4Bhg3N2l.jpg

Key was realizing that the problem was dealing with the Tank Purges and the stuff that hits right after them. For some reason I had it in my head that Slot 2 took the most abuse, so I had had Yda stationed there, but in the parts where I was having trouble, Slot 4 was the one getting beat up. So I put her royal tankiness there, and things worked out!

Team:
    Papa: Shellga, Chain Firaja R4 (overkill), LMR+Glint+BSB+OSB, much weakness damage
    Cid: fire machinist stuff (emptied out a R4 Burnt Offering), USB, much gun damage
    Yshtola: Protectga, Holy, BSB, Mako Might
    Yda: Fires Within R4, Fire Ironfist R4 (pretty much emptied both of them), BSB+USB, much fist damage
    Alphinaud: Hastega, Curada, SSB+BSB, Dr. Mog's
    Magicite: Unicorn active (cure Sap, clutch Cura/Curaja), general defense, wind resist, fire offense, Evrae

How much of the rewards do you get for that time?

If you haven't touched that difficulty yet, sub 50 is 180 rubies. An entire extra ability. Plus a good chunk of motes and crystals.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    FF3-1 100 gems: what else. Sigh.

Got Serah's SSB (the mag/mnd hastega) on my daily draw today. +10 MAG, I suppose.

Data for posterity:
    44 misses in a row

38/354 lifetime

0/4 current batch

5/95 3rd batch (5/95 is "just kill yourself" levels of bad RNG. Fuck me forever)

14/95 2nd batch (about on EV for this batch.)

9/65 1st batch (0.1 items below EV, which is pretty much exactly expected return, though quite a few duds even on my hits)

Note to self: No whining, Rikku USB, never forget. Also Cloud BSB2, Mustadio USB, Water Chain (dupe), Seymour Chain, Basch USB, Nine USB, Sephiroth USB, Pecil USB1, Sice USB.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Ahirman hits too many fucking elements.

• Options
    For LMR select I'm mulling between Laguna (chance to minor Imperil Ice after MCH abilities) for both Wind Magicite and the FF8 Torment, Zidane (W-cast Wind) for Earth Magicite, FF9 Torment, and Cloud Keeper team, or Ovelia LMR (w-cast WHT), because I've been using her a lot lately. Hmm.

For BSB select I'm thinking Cougar of Darkness BSB2 for Holy Magicite (and maybe the Torment? idk), or Sice BSB which is the same for physical.

OSB select is an easy skip.

• Options
    Fuckin' FINALLY got 280 sub-30.

It's rough going when your top offense is also your only Medica. Ugh. I thought I might be able to do ??? before it landed, but now I'm not sure.

• Options
    LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Daily hit, dupe Yuffie USB 1. 7 star thrower with in realm water boost isn't the worst thing to get for free.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Daily draw got me... ugh. You know, I feel like I spend way too much time just reporting results I got off of the slot machine in this game. I know it's a thing we just do, and I'm probably just in my own head in saying this, but I sometimes feel like I'm just coming in to say "praise me!" and not actually discussing stuff.

So, has anyone tried the Ultima Weapon multiplayer fight solo? I found it to be considerably easier than Ifrit (the fact that I managed to kill it says that much), but it still requires a lot of setup and strategy. Particularly since it has an attack in the final phase that is basically just "have Last Stand or perish"; it does 9600 damage to everyone. He also likes to use Sap (with the Blaze spell), so I almost think that Raijin would be a particularly good choice for Last Stand?. The really tough part is that the boss has a lot of defense and considerable health. Trying to fight it physically got me nowhere; even with a chain and a designated Imperiler, I was completely out of options by the time I got him to 30%. It was a lot easier to go with mages, as it turns out to have less than half Resistance, compared to its Defense. Nothing in the fight is too clever, like with the Ifrit fight, but then again, FFII doesn't have a lot of wild mechanics to translate into this game. Mostly it just keeps the 3 spells it had in FFII, and throws in the FFII version of Ultima for flavor.

Enlong on
  • Options
    But I want to praise your good luck! :P

• Options
    Well, if you want to know, the daily draw got me Edge's burst. I think it's his only source of Enwater, so that's neat. Yuffie still outclasses him, since she can get Enwater off of her Ultra, but it's an option he can use for in-realm stuff.

In other news, I tried to run a team of Ramza, Larsa, Minwu, Raines, and Rem against Hades. I thought my team very strong until I went into the fight and realized I had entirely forgotten to carry any form of Haste. Whoops!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I do that constantly!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Well, if you want to know, the daily draw got me Edge's burst. I think it's his only source of Enwater, so that's neat. Yuffie still outclasses him, since she can get Enwater off of her Ultra, but it's an option he can use for in-realm stuff.

In other news, I tried to run a team of Ramza, Larsa, Minwu, Raines, and Rem against Hades. I thought my team very strong until I went into the fight and realized I had entirely forgotten to carry any form of Haste. Whoops!

Edge still gets ample use with his SSB for me, and the option for enWater once things are rolling is actually quite nice.

• Options
    Things I have learned: my ixion team can successfully sub-30 even when bringing my magicite leveling team which isn't even a full set.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Manticore is much smoother than I thought it'd be, but my magic fire team is also very strong.

• Options
    I honestly thought I'd have an easier time with Manticore than Mateus, given that I have Krile's chain, but where Manticore capped down at ~32s, I just cleared Mateus in ~29 seconds. Burnt Offering and Flame Assault are stupid strong.

The team:
    Locke Steal Defense/Fire Assault (USB2, USB1, AOSB) +DMG (LMR)
    Onion Knight Wrath/Entrust (pUSB) DMT (LMR)
    Aerith Curada/Protectga (USB2) Ace Striker (LM1, 2)
    Krile Tritoch/Shellga (Chain) MM (LMR)
    Edgar Burnt Offering/Flame Snipe (USB) +DMG (LM2, LMR)
    Wall/Belias
    Phoenix/Phoenix/Evrae/Evrae

Aerith has Major Ice Resist; everyone else has moderate.

I was just doing a test run, and expected to have to Legend Dive Locke, but I managed to kill it anyway, and found that Locke never would have been low enough to trigger his Trance at any point in the fight. Fire Assault heals for a lot.

Locke does Fire Assault x2, wait a bit, Steal Defense to land right after the boss Barriers, USB2, instant Fire Assault, Fire Assault until USB1, Fire Assault until AOSB
    Onion Knight buffs, RW Walls, then Wrath/Entrust, alternating to Locke, then Aerith, then repeat.
    Aerith buffs, heals, USB2s when it's up, then when Guts pops.
    Krile Chains, buffs, wait a bit then summon Magicite, Tritoch until Chain, then spam Tritoch
    Edgar Burnt Offering x3, USB after quickcast, Burnt Offering until 6 stacks of Imperil, then Snipe until Imperils start falling off, resume Offering. Refresh USB once.

• Options
    I’m thinking I might bring Vincent and his chain to Mateus, since he also has Machinist 6.

• Options
    Trying to workshop a team for Syldra. I figure that Snow (Chain), Squall (Burst2, Ultra2, Overstrike), and Laguna (Ultra) are pretty much locked in, since I'd need Imperil, powerful damage, and the damage advantage of a chain to make quick progress, especially since Syldra has BarIce.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Welp, finally started really looking at magicite. Had cleared fire a couple months ago but never really went any further.

Since yesterday I can clear sea lion sub 30 pretty consistently and just got my first fenrir kill.

Also spent the holidays getting all my tech mastered. So now I’m going to focus on getting anyone who has something up to level 80.

• Options
    ...well shit. Typhoon has me stumped. I either need stronger ice mages, way more copies of Chain Blizzaga, or both, because I failed the initial DPS check by a wide margin.

• Options
    We got Typhon way before the Torment Ice abilities.

• Options
    So leave him alone until I get the stronger Witchy stuff, then? Sounds about right. Hopefully I can give Syldra a shot, since stuff like Snowspell Strike already exists. I might check out other runs to see what kind of DPS is required to skip Snort.

So, fun fact. Typhon has a move called "Heavensfall". That actually comes from the Crusader Esper in FFVI, and is the third way that move has been translated (First as "Purifier", then as "Cleansing"). Literally, the Japanese name reads "Collapse of Heaven and Earth".

• Options
    I can make a very strong go at Typhon when we get the 6* ice witch abilities.

• Options
    I do hope that my Matoya Ultra will do good work there with those stronger Witch spells. It’s either her or Edea (burst), really.

I’m actually planning on having Snow do the Ice chain instead of Rinoa, so that I can use Rinoa’s bubsy and Arcane.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Welp. Finished up all the regular realm dungeons to the currently out ones. Are we going to see any more of these out there, you think, or are they pretty much concentrating on other areas like event and record dungeons? I mean, they're at the end of most main-series FF games- I think they still have... let me look... a good amount of the following: IV: The After Years, VII: Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XI, XIII-2, XIV: Heavensward and Stormblood, XV, Tactics and its sequel, and Type-0, and the final bosses/bonus bosses of everything else.

On the plus side, I managed to get enough mythril to finish off my realm draws and still have 150-ish in the bank for upcoming decent events, and had an absolute crapload of energy left over- I was clearing stages and having stamina left over, and I think at my high point I had something like 520 left. Managed to attempt and beat the Ultimate level stage in the newest event, too, so I think I ought to start next on Nightmares again or maybe even grinding hard mode realm dungeons, which I haven't even touched.

Things I've found: I need to hone up my abilities and maybe make some better ones, maybe even find some better strategies (even if loading Rydia up with Bahamut and Neo Bahamut and letting her drop upwards of 30-40k of damage a cast on idiots is utterly hilarious, it's not really striking me as using her to her greatest potential... and then there's the fact my Yuffie runs one of the three sets of ninja combos and relies on keeping two stacks of mirror image up to drop seven-hit combos on idiots...). I have a lot of chaff in my box that might need to be crunched down, too.

I've also been getting people to at least 65- I'm up to X or XI with that, so still a long way to go.

As far as pulls from draws?

III (realm draw for 15) - 3/11, 1 disco. Cloud of Darkness LMR, Arc BSB "Auroral Grave", Desch USB "Roar of Duty".

XI (same) - 1/11, no disco. Aphmau LMR.

V (same) - 1/11, 1 disco. Krile chain!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    I love that Desch ultra. Imperil and quickcast is a suite of effect that has only become more useful over time.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Welp. Finished up all the regular realm dungeons to the currently out ones. Are we going to see any more of these out there, you think, or are they pretty much concentrating on other areas like event and record dungeons? I mean, they're at the end of most main-series FF games- I think they still have... let me look... a good amount of the following: IV: The After Years, VII: Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core: FFVII, X-2, XI, XIII-2, XIV: Heavensward and Stormblood, XV, Tactics and its sequel, and Type-0, and the final bosses/bonus bosses of everything else.

We still get monthly realm dungeon updates, though each update has significantly less content than it used to. Record Dungeon updates sorta split the difference now.

• Options
    Got a first win in against Mateus. Can I just say how lame it is that with a couple imperils and Krile's chain maxed out, Belias still won't break rage mode if the defense shield is up?

Fortunately, Ignis is a boss once he gets going.

• Options
    Sheesh. Syldra is killing me before I can have my healer use Shellga and then an instant medica (via Mako Might).

• Options
    Don't forget the gift dungeon. I missed yesterday and it has 50 of every 5* mote.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Can't kill Mateus again. Going fucking crazy here, because I'm too stupid and can't see what's different from my first kill.

E: I guess it's Edgar W-cast plus Imperil RNG.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Edgar USB was not getting the job done for me, my winning team has Cid XIV and Mustadio USBs.

Somehow I ended up with all the fire machinist stuff, I guess

• Options
    Gonna be real happy when we get the version of Frost Offering that's actually worth using. Because let me tell ya, the one whe do have right now is not.

• Options
    There's a chain less non-radiant shield, non-AOSB sub30 phoenix clear on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/ad21vm/5_phoenix_sub_30_no_csbaosbosb/.compact

Lacking Relm USB seems to make this not possible, but might be of use to some others. I've got something KINDA working with Aerith and Bartz as primary DPS (I've got Paine, but Bartz enWater is better with dual/triple chances), but I lack a good Tidus analogue, too.

• Options
    Echidna at the end of the event is rough. She does the FF3 thing of taking double turns, and her first phase is a lot of junk like AOE slow plus 99 percent gravity to one target, ad nauseum. You probably want to bring a honed hastega ability, and have a person that is not your main healer carrying it.

Also, equip for heavy Earth resistance, her later phases involve huge amounts of AOE Earth spam. The other elements are just occasional sprinkles.

• Options
    Echidna at the end of the event is rough. She does the FF3 thing of taking double turns, and her first phase is a lot of junk like AOE slow plus 99 percent gravity to one target, ad nauseum. You probably want to bring a honed hastega ability, and have a person that is not your main healer carrying it.

Also, equip for heavy Earth resistance, her later phases involve huge amounts of AOE Earth spam. The other elements are just occasional sprinkles.

Yeah, getting the CM on that one was a pain. I only had one person alive at the end and had to come back later to master it.

• Options
    Boy, Syldra just combines every mechanic that I hate from other Magicites.

* Defensive Rage? Check.
    * Speed Rage? Check
    * Haste and NulElement, stacking speed and defense with the Rage? Check.
    * Healing? Check.
    * almost equal focus on a secondary elemental attack type, making mounting a proper defense all but impossible? Check.

And here was me thinking that Wind couldn’t get much worse in its own time than Tiamat.

This discussion has been closed.