As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    If you have any way of fielding a pblink, the petrify punch is physical, and will miss if you have it up. I think sub-40 the action before the petrify is an osmose I think? If you have Edge's USB0, you can give Shellga to Elarra instead, swap Garnet out for Edge, and stock him up with swift bolts, and use his soul break as a source of haste. The last stand is also very useful.

Javen on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Allegro Con Moto for Garnet.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Savage Regurgitate does poison, and it's the second move of both Phase 2 and Phase 3, ideally you want to Elarra USB right after to get Regenga running again.

Phase 3 starts with (instant) Devour Spirit (MP drain), Savage Regurgitate, Stone Punch. If you aren't running blink/astra to avoid it, that's when you can kiss those three characters goodbye.

You may want to swap Mako Might from Garnet over onto Kain, to get the chain running faster. Garnet could have Gathering Storm or Ace Striker to get herself up to speed. She could carry Valigarmanda if you've got that honed.

Another option to maybe go faster would be to put Garnet on healing duty with Curaja, and have Elarra use Allegro to make Maria and Shantotto put out more DPS. Or you could put Valigarmanda on Elarra if Garnet isn't using it.

I've taken to running a Siren instead of a second Evrae in many of my teams, I like having the Mind Boon and Healing Boost to give Elarra more time to Bard or Dance or Summon instead of just healing all the time.

edit: looks like Elarra has the wrong accessory in that screenshot. Also Maria should probably have Brinedeep Shard (water/dark)

Fry on
  • Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    I have finally taken down Quetzalcoatl. I am very happy.

Team was:
    Red XIII - entrust/wrath - CSB - Acestriker
    Elarra - Shellga/ultracure - USB1 - MM
    Galuf - charge/press - BSB2 - +fist damage
    Bartz - BSS/earth quadstrike - USB1+2 - +dmg vs weak
    Ramza - earth Sabre/ entrust - BSB2 (shout would work) - DMT

Everyone had legend dives. Yes even Ramza - the stats help. Some people also have some crystal water (mostly hp).

Galuf is the workhorse here. He breaks rage and he imperils (Quetta spends most of the latter fight at 6 imperil stacks) so Bartz can do his crazy dps thing. Elarra casts USB pretty much every second turn with all the entrusting.

The run felt reproducible - it felt like my Bartz RNG could have been much better.

Now 3 more times before moving on to Geocities.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    stupid Siren just drop one more Seraph so I can move oooooooooooooooooon

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    @fry I think chain is less damage boost then garnet imperil and 30/30. Slightly.

Not sure I can do this 16 honed is not enough apparently and the. Maria becomes quite worthless.

Good catch on accessories.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Just making sure none of the following are available:
    Palom USB
    OK mUSB
    Ashe p. much anything

Those three got me through chain-less (albeit with a pBlink USB heal for the stone), combined with Garnet's 30/30 BSB

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    No
    No
    Ashe bsb?

I don’t have a p blink except arc SSB and thancred bsb so that’s out.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Arc can carry hastega and Valigarmanda, it's not the worst idea in the world. Could put him in for Garnet, switch Elarra to bard mage buff duty (since you'll need it with no imperil and 30/30)

If you have the orbs in hand to get Maria and 'totto up to R5, might as well, unless you've got those orbs earmarked for water damage to get to R3/R4 or something. There aren't a whole lot of new things that demand a sudden spend of 5* orbs these days.

Fry on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    No
    No
    Ashe bsb?

I don’t have a p blink except arc SSB and thancred bsb so that’s out.

Ashe Burst is still really good. If you have hone problems, Cleansing Storm does damage comparable to Chain Thundaga (and heals her to boot). Especially under Chain, it’s gonna do some real work.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Towards the tailend of Geocities, I do drop an Ashe BSB and it does good work, for sure.

My team should work for me now, I got a second win without much difficulty. But then I tweaked my loadout and when I used certain SBs and ended up doing more damage early....which doesn't sound like a bad thing but phase 3 came about 10 seconds earlier than I expected and boy that turned into a disaster. Whoops!

• Options
    I’m so damn close on Typhon. I need to somehow squeeze more damage out of Matoya, or more meter out of Rinoa (so she can use her Arcane before Snow’s chain expires). I guess the answer to those are β€œwait for the Ice Witch upgrade” and β€œwait for Chain Blizzaja”, respectively. But I’m going to at least try to make it happen with Magicite inheritance and Magic Water, in the meantime.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    @fry Running Siren instead of a 2nd Evrae is a paradigm changer. Wow. Medicas actually full heal the team, and out heal the boss's next attack.

For Mateus at least, it coincided with a bad Imperil run, so I switched back, but I'm thinking of building an Evrae with Mind Boost.

• Options
    It turns out I have Penelope usb with p blink but her healing just doesn’t do it like Elarra. Argh

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Can you run both Elarra and Penelo? I guess you'd have to drop Garnet though.

• Options
    Dropping garnet for more heals leaves not enough FPS I think.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Do you have any room to have someone doing Entrust? I used Penelo, with an Entrust bot. That often seems to be the way healing is done for Magicite, if you're not using Elarra, I find.

I'm assuming Kain is your Chain user? Apologies if you've already outlined the team's soul breaks.

• Options
    I don't think so.
    Shantotto has SSB BSB USB Glint. Of those I think only USB is worth using meter
    Garnet has BSB and SSB curada. Spamming imperil seems best
    Elarra has BSB and USB, Penelo has USB
    Kain has CSB OSB BSB haven't tried using anything but chain. His damage with lightning jump is pretty respectable considering physical reduction.
    Maria has USB BSB AOSB. Would AOSB do anything? Doubt it but haven't tried it.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Do you have anyone with a relevant MAG buff soul break who can also Entrust? Since you're using the Hastega spell, they don't need to have a Hastega attached to the buff, necessarily. If you do, it might be possible to replace either Maria or Shantotto with that character, and have them focus on Entrusting meter to Penelo as needed. If that character is also someone who can use Voltech, (so, just Onion or Tyro, I guess), they can build meter for Entrusting alongside doing damage. If you can field someone like that, then you could probably give Garnet Valigarmanda instead of Mage's Hymn.

The team I used consisted of Garnet (chain duty), Penelo (Ultra), Desch (Ultra), Ashe (Burst), and Onion (Sage Ultra, though I imagine Burst can serve, if you have it). Garnet and Penelo started with a bar, like you're doing for Kain and Elarra/Penelo. Desch was on Imperil duty, so I figure your Garnet can fill that role. I had Onion equipped with Chain Thundaga, Entrust, and Battleforged.

Sorry if none of this is helpful.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Every new way of looking at it is helpful. If I could jam a 6th character in there I think I'd be in great shape. I feel like I should be able to do this if I can get the right combo of ability slots.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    A bit of practice finally got me my 3rd and 4th Mateus, so I am considering Ice done for the time being. I farmed up a bunch of Krysta, Isgebind, and Dullahan to inherit passives onto Mateus and Manticore, and I'm looking at Syldra and Typhon, who seem like enormous step ups in both damage and healing requirements.

For Syldra I'm thinking:
    Squall SSS (BSB2) +DMG (LM2, LMR)
    Laguna Offering/Snipe (CSB, USB) Ace Striker (LM2, LMR)
    Aerith Curada/Shellga (USB2) DMT (LM2, LMR)
    Snow Ice Punch/Banishing Strike (USB1, BSB1) Gathering Storm
    Ignis Wrath/Entrust (BSB) MM
    Wall/Manticore
    Mateus/Phoenix/Evrae/Evrae

Laguna spams Offering for Imperil, covers Chain then Imperils more with USB
    Ignis buffs Hastega, then makes Squall do more damage and have extra instant casts
    Squall does damage things
    Snow Walls, Dispels as needed, then throws up Ice Radiant Shield
    Aerith buffs Shellga then heals/makes the team go fast

Lack of AOSB makes me think phase 3 will be tough. Might need a +MND passive to boost Aerith's healing to keep up.

For Typhon:
    Laguna Offering/Snipe (CSB) Ace Striker (LM2, LMR)
    Palom Voltech/Chain Blizzaga (USB) Gathering Storm (LM1, 2)
    OK Affliction Break/Entrust (mUSB) DMT (LMR)
    Rinoa Chain Blizzaga/Tritoch (USB1, AOSB) +DMG (LM2, LMR1)
    Selphie Curada/Enfeebling Dance (USB1) MM
    Raider or Priestess, depending on healing/Mateus
    Manticore/Phoenix/Dullahan/Evrae

I'm actually spoiled for options here. On the bench are Edea Witch Ability Double USB, and Ysayle Rank Chase USB, both of which EnIce, unlike Palom. Palom has the superior Legend Dive (and is already Dived).

OK would buff Raider, then mUSB, then spam Affliction Break until phase 2, then Entrust Selphie(?) before he gets Snorted out. If I need Priestess for healing, cut Raider.
    Laguna would Offering for Imperil into Chain, then Offering into USB for more Imperil.
    Palom and Rinoa are primary DPS. Rinoa AOSB for phase 3. If Rinoa is capping, maybe W-Cast Summon for her RM?
    Selphie dances when she can and heals otherwise.

• Options
    Rinoa's LMs don't trigger on summons, so I don't like using Tritoch on her in general.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Rinoa's LMs don't trigger on summons, so I don't like using Tritoch on her in general.

Palom needs Voltech and she needs a 6* ability for SB gain though. Chain Blizzaja was a huge oversight on DeNa's part. At least we get it after the fest some time, I think?

E: Though it messes her LM2 cycling. Hrmm. Well, she'll have Quickcast from OK to start.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    well got the ff9 280 sub-30. that thing is a jerk.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Fry wrote: Β»

My Typhon attempts have had her use Valigarmanda over Chain Blizzaga just once, on her first turn. It’s faster than Black Magic, and gains her a little more meter, both of which are important for me getting her bubsy off in time to skip Snort.

Really, I think she just really wants to have Chain Blizzaja, but that’s a long way off.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Well things should be all set with Geocities now that I pulled Garnet's chain in the daily draw

is what I'd like to say. Still this two star holy rod has XII synergy and a small boost to holy damage so you never know.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Another daily hit: Barret unique gun-arm.

lol

• Options
    Give it to Tyro.

• Options
    Barret's Gunarm is pretty awesome... in Enter the Gungeon.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Daily dupe, disco edition: Elarra USB1.

Man, that would've been a great way to start the morning if it wasn't a dupe.

• Options
    I give up, it was a mistake to try this before AAOSB.
    *sigh*

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Weekly Fat Chocobo reminder

also, you have one week left to finish up whatever festival stuff you're gonna do. Hit the gift dungeons for sure, and get to work spending your powerup tickets. Neither of those things is hard, but you don't want to leave them to the last minute. You can auto through them with ease; just make sure you've put characters and/or magicites that need levelling up into your party to absorb all that XP.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Maybe if you were to field both Elarra and Penelo for medica, alongside Garnet for Imperil. Between those three, you could have Shellga, Allegeo Con Moto, Mage’s Hymn, Valigarmanda, Curada, and Hastega, and have two characters separately building meter for giant medicas. If Elarra carried Valigarmanda, two of hrm would even be contributing to chain count.

Problem is that leaves just one more character for DPS, so you may be in for a bit of a longer haul. If Shantotto with Voltech and Hell Thunder can’t close it out, id vouch for Ashe with Voltech and Chain Thundaga; with her Burst, she can go as long as you can survive for.

Canon be damned, I wish Garnet could use Black Magic.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Well Ashe will never need to fall back on her BSB because she isn't double casting. So 40 seconds of hones should last her 80 seconds, during which I will probably have long since been petrified. Maybe I could go two healer and radiant shield like King B. It was awful but got the job done. I think I still need Kain Chain to let Q break rage though because rage lowers shield damage. This will be unpleasant.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2019
    If one of your healers is Penelo, her Ultra will let you dodge Stone Punch via Blink. That’s the entire reason I used her instead of Relm when I fought Geocites.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah but in overtime he does it every third move apparently. Which is a bit much. I haven't gotten anywhere close to the stone punch with penelo replacing elarra. Maybe I'll see if I can make that setup work again.

I wish Astra was an ability.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Do you have the crystals to get Chain Thundaja crafted and up to R4? That could help you close out with the current setup where your middle characters get petrified. Especially if Elarra can USB right before the petrify, your top/bottom slots should be able to last a few turns longer.

• Options
    Would I be better using Thundaja or the witch one? Thundaja seems more portable. I probably have the resources to do that. I don't spend many crystals. Let me swap Elarra back in and see what I can do. So much to cast right before petrification. Chain, imperil, wall, Elarra USB.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    My experience with the fight was that Shantotto was nearly capping with 5* witch ability once the chain was built up, so she wouldn't get much extra value from the 6* witch ability. Whereas upgrading Maria's 5* black magic to 6* gets her an extra hit per cast.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Oh. I thought the witch one had an extra hit as well. I guess the point is moot, I only have 90 rubies though. How much extra damage are we talking? 80k for 8 extra hits at rank 4. Some of which would be wasted before chain/buffs/imperil goes up.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

This discussion has been closed.