As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I should be saving up for the next fest, but dang if there aren't a bunch of chains I would like in the next three or four events.

I did all of the realm draws because I'd rather have the relics now, so I can figure out which draws are dupe full later down the line.

Also, poor impulse control. Ok, mainly poor impulse control.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I really should save up because of Wind God Gau. But... discounts...

• FryFry Registered User regular
    I went through a list of all the items on the discounted draws, and made notes about which items I would be excited about. Then I did some maths, assuming 12% chance for the non-G5* items to be 5* or better (I know it's "supposed" to be 14%, but relic draw polls always seem to come in at 12%). What are the odds I will get at least one item I am excited about?

Worst was XI at 43%, followed by XIV at 48%. Most other realms are in the 60-70% range. The highest was XV at 77%.

Considering these draws are at 30% price, I guess I'm going to be doing all of them, even XI.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Sidenote, these cheap draws have generally been good to me. Bolded are happy

1:
    2:
    3: Refia BSB
    4: Ursula BSB, Edward LMR, Golbez Chain
    5: Gogo BSB, Gilgamesh BSB2, Krile OSB
    6: dupe Relm BSB (reforge), dupe Edgar OSB
    7: dupe XIII BSB, Seph BSB2, Seph USB1
    8: dupe squall BSB2, Selphie USB1, Fujin AOSB
    9: dupe Vivi BSB1 (reforge), Zidane LMR
    10: Yuna BSB, dupe Auron BSB2, Paine LMR, Paine USB
    11: dupe Lion BSB, Prishe BSB
    12: dupe Penelo USB, Fran USB1, Larsa USB
    13: Serah BSB, Snow BSB
    14: haurchefant LMR, Cid BSB, alph USB
    15: dupe Iris BSB, Noctis OSB
    0:
    T: dupe something, I don't remember what

And whoops, I've got 14 too :)

All that for roughly the cost of 3.5 normal draws.

Jragghen on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Question, how does the Series Chain in the Torments compare to a Gen 2 Chain?

Dr. Mog's "Bonds of Historia" (the Series Chain RW available in Torments)
    - chain count limit of 150
    - 30% "field effect" damage bonus

Gen 2 chains
    - 50% "field effect" damage bonus
    - usually also have a large ATK or MAG bonus (Edward Chain is medium MAG/MND)

Gen 1 chains
    - chain count limit of 99
    - 20% "field effect" damage bonus
    - other effects vary

"Gen 3" chains (that's what I'm calling them for the moment. The realm chains that are actual relics you can pull for characters)
    - 50% "field effect" damage bonus
    - so far, they all have party haste and +30% ATK/MAG
    Important thing to note: the field effect on elemental chains stacks additively with auras and equipment bonuses. The realm field effect presumably is multiplicative with everything. When a lot of characters will already have up to 90% in element bonuses before the chain (maybe even 120% for SB entries, or a max of 160% with Glint stacking) this is very significant.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    edited November 2018
    I haven't seen anything one way or another from dataminers as to whether a realm chain's field effect goes in the same part of the calculation as an elemental chain's field effect. I had been assuming they were the same; if the realm chain field effect goes in a different part of the calculation, that would make them a LOT stronger.

edit: asked on reddit, got a frequent contributor saying that yes, the realm chain field effect is in the same part of the calculation as elemental chain field effect.

Fry on
    I haven't seen anything one way or another from dataminers as to whether a realm chain's field effect goes in the same part of the calculation as an elemental chain's field effect. I had been assuming they were the same; if the realm chain field effect goes in a different part of the calculation, that would make them a LOT stronger.

edit: asked on reddit, got a frequent contributor saying that yes, the realm chain field effect is in the same part of the calculation as elemental chain field effect.

Well that's awfully unintuitive. Good to know, I guess.

So the realm chain is kinda a "omni-element-and-non" buff?

2wgfgotdozv11.png?width=432&auto=webp&s=1319902755264bf1771fd9a2644e3b1b93f63ac5

JP has a "view all relics you've ever gotten" thing, too. Duplicates not shown.

Did III draw, figuring best potential for hilarity given how concentrated my relics are in the realm.

1/11, Refia burst. Sure, this works.

edited November 2018
    Refia still has me puzzled.

Her USB is best used with a crit buff. I have Onion Ninja for that now. But I also have Greg's Fire Chain, whose straight ATK buff doesn't stack with Onion's Ninja mode. So I find myself wondering if I should try to get her BSB running simultaneously, find another method for a Crit buff, or just accept that her USB, while best with a crit buff, is still damn good without one, as it speed cycles Fire abilities, like Lightning's USB speed cycles Lightning abilities.

edit:

Never mind, I just hit a different dilemma. So I spent my last discounted realm draw for a while; I chose FFVIII. And I picked up Rinoa's LMR (Initial EnIce) and her BUBSY (10 ice hits, Enice, boosted Black MAgic damage, Ice OSB command). This is a very good combination of tools. However, Rinoa's my Ice Chainer, and hasn't the time to use a BUBSY when there are chains to re-apply. So I'm wondering what to do with this new tool. I could add an Entruster to my Ice magic team, leaving off either Matoya or Edea as DPS. I could ignore the BUBSY and focus on the LMR and Chain, outside of the VIII torment. Or, I could legend dive RInoa, and see if her Black Magic speedcasting LM2 will let her build enough meter to use both things.

Enlong on
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So managed the D240 Deadeye in ~16ish seconds with:

Noct Flash Disaster/Ripping Bolt BSB/AOSB
    Gladio Earthbringer/Gaia Cross BSB/OSB
    Iris Curada/Protectga SSB TGM LMR
    Prompto Power Breakdown/Entrust No SB
    Aranea Cyclone Bolt/Lightning Dive No SB
    Behemoth King

I would Entrust a bar to Iris turn 1, wait for her to get it, Hastega everyone via SSB, then Protectga, and start healing. Prompto wouldn't be fast enough to cancel Intimidate before the turn 3 attack, unfortunately, not having Haste soon enough.

This did NOT work for the 280, however. Even with TGM speed and LMR for the occasional W-cast, Iris was too far behind on healing after spending the first 2.5 turns waiting for Entrust, hasting the team via SSB, and putting Protectga up (barely before the 3rd turn AoE). Also the overflow 2 slot piercing attack hurt like crazy. Probably going to have to sub her out for a healer with a BSB carrying Protectga and Hastega.

Should that not speed things up enough, I might just need more relics, since I have no relics for Prompto, Aranea, or Ignis to up their DPS. Maybe just one of Ignis/Promto on Power Breakdown/Entrust, and the other Wrath/Entrusting to Gladio for OSB spam.

drop Iris and Prompto for whatever ridiculous healer and buffer you have. You can put two off-realm characters in a D280 team and not be penalized too horrifically.

I can't believe this worked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Swapped out Iris for Y'shtola, and Prompto for Onion Knight, and crushed it in just shy of 28 seconds. Didn't even need to use as many SBs.

Noct Flash Disaster/Ripping Bolt BSB
    Onion Knight Power Breakdown/Ripping Blast pUSB LMR/LD
    Y'shtola Curada/Protectga BSB LD
    Aranea Cyclone Bolt/Lightning Dive No SB
    Gladio Earthbringer/Gaia Cross OSB TGM
    Behemoth King

Getting rid of Prompto was great because it meant Noct was now the fastest, and while he cast Flash Disaster, everyone else could input commands without wasting time on the clock. This was a huge improvement compared to Prompto being the fastest when I was never sure if Breakdown/Protect/healing would go up in time, often landing 0.03s in time, or more often being that much late and having to restart.

Noct would Flash Disaster x5, Ripping Bolt until the end then BSB twice for the kill.
    Onion Knight put up pUSB, Ripping Blast once, Power Breakdown after Intimidate, Ripping Blast, Magicite, refresh RW, Power Breakdown after Intimidate, Ripping Blast until end.
    Y'shtola would Protect, Asylum, Curada Noct to give him a buffer for the Overstrike while everyone was at full, then spam C1. Refresh BSB when she can.
    Aranea did Lightning Dragoon things. No SB and still did decent damage.
    Gladio would RW, Gaia Cross, Earthbringer spam, and then OSB twice before TGM wore off. He was still doing nearly max damage without EnEarth or a +DMG RM.

Couple more realm draws.

III - Aria LMR, Luneth LMR
    I have Luneth's USB and OSB, so I guess that's not completely useless. Really wanted Onion things though.

II - Maria USB
    Hecks yeah, best relic in the realm!

...Wait, shit, now I'm obligated to hone a bunch of crap I was going to skip and try Behemoth King honest instead of going for pure reflect cheese.

Got back up to 15 mythril, did my XIV draw

3/11 with a disco
    Haurchefant LMR (bleh)
    Cid BSB, which looks pretty good - imperil Earth and can imperil further every other attack
    Alphinaud USB

LOOKS LIKE SUMMON ORBS ARE BACK ON THE MENU

Remember that Daylight Savings Switch yesterday means that stuff happens at 8:00 instead of 9:00 now.

I accidentally killed the Phantom Train too fast, Elarra didn't have time to show up and rescue me

(on the lower difficulty, anyway. The higher difficulty fight is supremely annoying, but not necessarily hard so long as you bring Status Barrier)

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Attempting to replicate my famfrit sub30.

Managed to kill it even faster, once.

In two hours. Couldn't even kill it, period, for the rest of the two hours.

I am just a ball of sadomasochistic self loathing right now.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Phantom Train 300 was super obnoxious

Beat it slowly with Noctis Master Onion Tyro and Larsa

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Took my wind team for Phantom Train 300 with Iris BSB and OK with Affliction Break, and it was still tedious. Annoying bugger of a fight.

Misread the mechanics for Cid's burst. This is....less useful, I guess.

CMD1: Deal ranged physical earth and non-elemental damage to one target and temporarily grant Reload to the user. Reload stacks up to three times, and adds an effect to Split Shot.
    CMD2: Deal four ranged physical earth and non-elemental attacks to one enemy. If the user has Reload, chance to temporarily lower the target's earth resistance level by 1, and remove Reload from the user. Chance to lower resistance ranges from very small to high, depending on the level of Reload.

Actual chances for imperil, with 0-3 reload: 0-10-30-100%

Also, here's the list of earth machinist abilities:

Woof, you weren't kidding about that 260 CM.

Jragghen wrote: »
    Woof, you weren't kidding about that 260 CM.

Titan? Hoo boy yeah. The CM is completely out of my ability. I had serious trouble even with my best Non-Elemental team (which now includes Noctis's Arcane).

Attempting to replicate my famfrit sub30.

Managed to kill it even faster, once.

In two hours. Couldn't even kill it, period, for the rest of the two hours.

I am just a ball of sadomasochistic self loathing right now.

Funny story, I just upgraded to a new phone this week, and that improved my Famfrit clear rate from something like 20% to more like 80%. Not getting random massive input delays all the time during fights helps a lot when everything's riding on whether Edge can get his SSB off or not.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Key for the Phantom Train boss - bring your own ProShell/Wall, because that RW disappears real quick.

Heh. This fishing thing is amusing. Kinda a weird choice, but I can dig it.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Pulled three times on some realm banners. Think I did pretty good for myself again.

VIII: 1/11, 1 disco. Fujin OSB "Into the Storm" (Deal massive magic wind and non-elemental damage to one target. Deals more damage if the target is Vulnerable or has a Slight Weakness to wind. Can break the damage cap.) This looks like the capper to a pretty darn good wind team- if I can get a Wind chain going, get it up there through Alphinaud's BSB, I can finish it with this.

VI: 2/11, 1 disco. Mog LMR "Moogle Survivor" (Small chance to lower the Attack, Magic, and Mind of all enemies a moderate amount when using dancer abilities.) Looks all right, and it's something to put on him, but I was more distracted by the other thing I pulled.

Locke Chain SB "Atomic Dive"! (Trigger a fire chain up to 99 hits long that increases the fire damage of all allies a small amount, deal eleven physical fire attacks to one enemy, and temporarily lower its Defense and Resistance a large amount.) Was hoping for the Phoenix break, but I'll take a chain, always! Fire just seems like one of those elements that's easy to come by as far as multi-hit moves.

Thought I might stop here, but I picked up some mythril from clearing event dungeons, and so I figured I'd give one more realm a pull. Wanted to grab some Tidus stuff, so I gave the X machine a pull.

4/11, 2 disco.

Paine BSBs "Grand Storm" (Deal six physical water, earth, and wind attacks to all targets, cast Dispel on them, and grant Haste and Burst Mode to the user. Deals more damage for each spellblade ability the user has used. Burst Mode: Aqua Storm - Deal four physical water and wind attacks to one target. Aqua Terra - Deal four physical water and earth attacks to one target.) and Whelmen (Deal eight physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target, temporarily infuse the user with the power of water, and grant Haste and Burst Mode to the user. Burst Mode: Aqua Slash - Deal four physical water and non-elemental attacks to one enemy. Aqua Drive - Deal three physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target, and increase the damage of the user's spellblade abilities a small amount for three turns.) I think Paine just earned a spot on my water team. I think I have a water chain I can use these to exploit with, too! BSBs might not be the strongest thing out there, but they're really useful for putting a bunch of shots on a chain!

Rikku USB "Hyper Mighty G" (Grant Protect, Shell, and Haste to all allies, and temporarily raise their Attack and Magic a moderate amount.) - Buffs in a can. This pretty much makes Rikku even more useful- and now that I don't have to hunt this break down, well... it should make things even easier. Not to mention this is one of those breaks that's always useful to leave up as a RW.

Tidus USB "Day to Remember" (Deal ten ranged physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target, remove delay from the user's actions for one turn, temporarily infuse the user with the power of water, and enter Ace EX Mode. Ace EX Mode temporarily raises the user's Attack a moderate amount, and causes the user's water abilities to trigger the follow-up ability Run & Shoot, dealing six ranged physical water and non-elemental attacks to one target.) Good grief. Pop his water chain, then fire this thing off, and off to the water races we go. I'm not hurting for Tidus stuff any more (think the only thing I'm missing for him is his Arcane break), but I think I'm honestly set for water.

All in all, I think I got decent drops all around, and I got Tidus's only USB to boot, and I think I have the solid makings of a FFX realm team now.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    Got my eight Geosgaenos today. Not as bad as Quetzalcouatl but it was still pretty janky due to me trying way too hard to put off buying Chain Thundaja.

Shelke(LD) - Wrath/Entrust - Ace Striker
    Penelo - Curada R4/Protectga - USB+BSB - Gathering Storm
    Ashe(LMR/LM2) - Chain Thundaga R5+R2 - USB+OSB+Glint - 30% Weakness - +20% lightning gear
    Garnet - Tritoch R4/Shellga - CSB+BSB2 - MM - +20% lightning gear
    Onion Knight(LM1) - Vortex R4+Swift Bolt - SageUSB+OSB - DMT - +40% lightning gear
    Magicite: Quetzalcouatl, Empower 23, Magic 23, Fast 10, Surging 10, Dampen Water 12, Dampen Dark 8, Spell 5, Health 5

Really wish I could have fit Shantotto USB in there, but this party just made sense. A good run was around 50 seconds. No matter what I did I couldn't get Quetzalcouatl followup attacks consistently breaking enrage after refreshing the chain, so I just gave up on committing resources on trying and just had Ashe brute force through it, typically ending with triple OSB.

Fun fact: Onion Knight OSB actually hits hard enough to pop enrage in this party. Unfortunately it comes back up so stupidly fast that it doesn't really help.

Fujin's OSB is good, but she'll want a source of enWind to really boost it.

Paine's first BSB unfortunately doesn't hit super hard. What makes it interesting is the dispelga - it's one of very, very few of those in the game. It's not super useful until it is, and you'll appreciate it.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Rikku USB and Tidus CSB/USB are very good pulls. Tidus basically IS the water team. Rikku USB is incredibly useful - she's on more of my teams than OK and Tyro!

edited November 2018
    Only thing keeping me from using Rikku all over the place is the strength of having a support unit who can Entrust or heal in the Magiticites. Everywhere I can field a mixed team and want Dances, Rikku suits me just fine.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Fujin's OSB is good, but she'll want a source of enWind to really boost it.

I've been waffling on whether or not I should pick up Fujin's SSB from the Acolyte Archives. An instant Enwind SSB is pretty nice, and I have proven that I don't need Rinoa's Enearth SSB for King Behemoth.

Perhaps I should just wait until the Magicite wheel cycles around to the 5-star Earth Magicites; if I don't have better by then for Wind magic, I think I'll grab that SSB.

We only have 2 events (FFX and FFXIV) between now and the FFVI Dragons event (the one introducing Good Stuff For Gau, Gogo, and Umaro), yes? I'm tempted to grab some mythril and do yet another Series Banner pull, but perhaps I should lay off for the moment.

Enlong on
    I am having a really rough time figuring out how to handle Behemoth King.

Earth mages:
    Maria USB
    Rydia BSB/OSB
    Onion Knight SageUSB

Healers:
    Eiko USB
    Relm USB/BSB
    Penelo USB/BSB2
    Larsa USB/BSB

Support:
    Galuf CSB/BSB2
    Ingus BSB
    Alphinaud SSB
    Shelke

I just don't see how I can get what I need in 5 slots. I doubt anyone can solo-heal it, so I need either two healers or an entruster. That leaves three slots to do 1.5 million damage, and at least one of them probably has to be Galuf or a Radiant Shield. I don't see how any two mages plus Galuf can have enough hones to do the necessary damage. With no chase or dualcast Maria USB is actually a bit of a problem in a drawn-out fight like this. And I'm afraid to commit massive resources without knowing whether it will actually be possible.

Has anyone had any luck with similar relics available? It's so hard to find clears that don't use Edge or Elarra.

This strategy was what led me to my KB clear, and you have just about what he had. He uses a team of Sage Onion, Maria, Alphinaud, Eiko, and Shelke.

Major difference is that he used Maria's BSB instead of USB, and I imagine that the extra speed at which she runs through her resources is somewhat counterproductive to Radiant Shield. But don't quote me on that, as I've not tested that. A potential alternative to Alphinaud could be Galuf geared for Mind, carrying Curaja and Protectga. That depends on how much Maria and Onion can manage with an ATK-focused Chain, though.

Yeah, I saw that one. I'm trying really hard not to spend the Acolyte pick, though. I'm mostly worried about spending a fortune on Chain Stoneja and two R4 Chain Stonegas only to end up in a position where I need to take the BSB anyway.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I am having a really rough time figuring out how to handle Behemoth King.

Earth mages:
    Maria USB
    Rydia BSB/OSB
    Onion Knight SageUSB

Healers:
    Eiko USB
    Relm USB/BSB
    Penelo USB/BSB2
    Larsa USB/BSB

Support:
    Galuf CSB/BSB2
    Ingus BSB
    Alphinaud SSB
    Shelke

I just don't see how I can get what I need in 5 slots. I doubt anyone can solo-heal it, so I need either two healers or an entruster. That leaves three slots to do 1.5 million damage, and at least one of them probably has to be Galuf or a Radiant Shield. I don't see how any two mages plus Galuf can have enough hones to do the necessary damage. With no chase or dualcast Maria USB is actually a bit of a problem in a drawn-out fight like this. And I'm afraid to commit massive resources without knowing whether it will actually be possible.

Has anyone had any luck with similar relics available? It's so hard to find clears that don't use Edge or Elarra.

I did it with less than those relics. Entrust to Eiko and keep up last stand. Maria goes damage and everything else is Radiant Shield. I don't have instant last stand heal so I had to alternate with two healers last standing so maybe you can take more damage. Maria USB doesn't really need a chain. I was capping without it. It will take around a minute, you'll need to map out all your actions so you have last stand up for savage shockstorm, haste ready to go right after savage sunder, and defend ready for his savage hurls. If you want to do this strategy I can list his times for you.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Got something out of the daily draw today, and did my last realm draw no seriously this time before XIV and VI events.

Daily got me Golbez's BSB1 (the Mage tank one). This one's time of prominence has come and gone, but it's a neat little piece of unique kit all the same. Maybe I can try some gimmicky teams where Golbez tanks hits for my dark mages.

XIII draw got me Lightning's Glint. This is my first one of the Instant Attack variety of Glint, rather than the speedy actions type. This his honestly quite good for Lightning, and secures her place in my Lightning teams going forward. The only place where I can't use it so good is against Famfrit, where she needs to Imperil to help Aranea. That being said, the low cost of the Glint will probably still be of use for Famfrit. And the Aura Stacking will be of good use for Ripper Bolt. Not a terrible draw. And it's another +Lightning sword.

• LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Gilgamesh OSB from daily draw. A free non dupe disco, and well worth the price.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    I love the animation on Greg OSB even if it's never going to be worth the gauge

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    So with the fishing...is there anything worth re-running it for? Like I did it twice and got 2-3* orbs

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    I accidentally killed the Phantom Train too fast, Elarra didn't have time to show up and rescue me

(on the lower difficulty, anyway. The higher difficulty fight is supremely annoying, but not necessarily hard so long as you bring Status Barrier)

More or less agreed. I brought Shelke, Bartz, Tidus, Sazh, and Eiko, and the Water Chain team rusted the train up but good. Sazh's USB is proving to be a fantastic pull (need to get around to XIII Torment), and the second half of the fight boiled down to trying to set Bartz up for an ASB with some chain multiplier built up behind it. Chain, en-element, brave synergy, +40% water gear x 2, and W-cast made a mockery of 50% omni-resist.

Speaking of nice pulls, I did VII, X, and XII last night. The XII pull was a dupe and Fran's useless LMR. But VII gave me Cid's USB, and X gave me Paine's USB. Cid's USB fits on a VII wind team with Cloud USB1&2 and Zack USB, and Paine's USB fits on a X water team with Tidus USB (and CSB) and Rikku imperil BSB. I was worried about damage in X - pretty sweet!

Enlong wrote: »
    Got something out of the daily draw today, and did my last realm draw no seriously this time before XIV and VI events.

Daily got me Golbez's BSB1 (the Mage tank one). This one's time of prominence has come and gone, but it's a neat little piece of unique kit all the same. Maybe I can try some gimmicky teams where Golbez tanks hits for my dark mages.

XIII draw got me Lightning's Glint. This is my first one of the Instant Attack variety of Glint, rather than the speedy actions type. This his honestly quite good for Lightning, and secures her place in my Lightning teams going forward. The only place where I can't use it so good is against Famfrit, where she needs to Imperil to help Aranea. That being said, the low cost of the Glint will probably still be of use for Famfrit. And the Aura Stacking will be of good use for Ripper Bolt. Not a terrible draw. And it's another +Lightning sword.
    Hm. I guess I was underestimating how much damage Radiant Shield and chainless Maria actually do. Maybe I'll try Maria/Rydia/Alphinaud/Shelke/Eiko and leave Onion Knight home to save on hones. Not like I need quickcast here.

This discussion has been closed.