As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So the lucky is just everything Burst and up without arcanes? That seems like a skip for me.

Guaranteed three 5* items, it's probably a lot better than going 1/11 yet again

Hmm. I'll have to see. I have very low mythril after pulling on the healer lucky for 2 dupes. I think we get Realm on Parade too so its G3 vs G5. Both look like BSB+ and realm on parade lets you target a bit more and have access to Arcanes.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Haha. They took the time to replace the Water of Might spell on Tyro with Rallying Etude in one of the new story dungeons. But they forgot to remove the strategy suggestion to use that spell.

I still want that spell.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Looking into the lucky draw, it will probably be full price, BSB+, no G6.

I'm...not sure I'm actually interested in that.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    Anybody you're likely to bring as DPS to Famfrit can carry 3* Magic Break. Famfrit's Faith buff is +50% MAG, it'll rearrange your face.

I didn't!

I also used Eiko last stand scrumming with a radiant shield strategy, so that might have something to do with it.

• Options
    Eh screw it. Healer lucky draw.

2/11: Aerith LMR dupe, Ovelia LMR.

...yeah, okay. I guess this makes Ovelia better than Porom? Porom’s LD dualcast has a higher chance than Ovelia’s LMR, but Ovelia’s U has a better quaternary effect than Porom’s.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Got the free 25 mythril. Turned it around and dropped it in on a Banner 3 lucky draw.

3/11, no discos.

Aerith LMR (chance for doublecast white magic), Penelo BSB (dupe), Aria BSB (large heal, +1 fire resist, haste on user, Burst Mode: small Medica on all allies or large heal and major Regen on one).

I look at that large heal Burst, and to be honest, well... it looks pretty decent.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

wait no chain confirmed?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

wait no chain confirmed?

No, he means you only get a guarantee of 3 5* minimum, no guaranteed 6* like we just had in the 33-draw. You may only end up with three bursts/LMRs and that's a wide pool of potential duds for full price.

The text says:
    "The 5★ or higher relics that appear in this relic draw are made up of a selection of relics with Burst, Overstrike, Chain, and Ultra Soul Breaks, plus Legend Materia."

I'm more curious about the word "selection"; possibly a curated draw?

• Options
    FFXIV Torment is now live.

And with it, 3 new Torment abilities: Lunatic Thunder (Lightning Witch slowcast), Dark Valefor (4-hit Wind Summon), and Tremor Assault (5-hit Earth Spellblade).

• Options
    hmmm...are those 5 hit Spellblades worth it vs the multi element ones?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    How rich are you? (crystals)

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    hmmm...are those 5 hit Spellblades worth it vs the multi element ones?

In terms of output for that particular element, sure.

But with rubies being a limited commodity, there's reason to give pause. Maybe it's just me though; I haven't picked at the DWhale tier much so I'm short a lot of rubies.

I'm going to have to consider XIV pulls in the future; did the 280 in under 40 but I'm seriously lacking the cohesive punch to put together a sensible team. I seem to have a lot of bursts and ssbs in the realm but aside from Alphinaud and I guess Y'sh I'm not looking so hot.

On the other hand I finally got to use Yda and Estinian's bursts! Had no reason to try them until now.

• Options
    The multi-element ones are much more cost-effective. It takes twice the Rubies to get abilities to cover the same elements as the multi-element ones. But the single-element ones have a higher maxiumum power, so it could be helpful to push out that last bit of damage in a fight.

Wish me luck for this Ultima Weapon fight: I'm going in with not a single 6-star relic in the realm. My first strategy involves 3 Ss and a handful of Bs for a physical team.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

And with it, 3 new Torment abilities: Lunatic Thunder (Lightning Witch slowcast), Dark Valefor (4-hit Wind Summon), and Tremor Assault (5-hit Earth Spellblade).

Torment hits fucking HARD right out the gate. Like....I give Y'sh Dr. Mog, she casts it first turn, and two people are dead before it finishes. On 240. The fuck?

• Options
    Also, when do we get the 5* quickcast witch abilities? I'm going to hold off actually MAKING the 6* one until that's available, but once I've got that, between Shantotto's USB and Ashe's USB/OSB combo, I might have a go at Geo.

• Options

Torment hits fucking HARD right out the gate. Like....I give Y'sh Dr. Mog, she casts it first turn, and two people are dead before it finishes. On 240. The fuck?

I was loaded up on mitigation Magicite and that made the first couple of attacks survivable. I should have put MM/DMT on Y'sh though, that would have been less scary!

• Options

I was loaded up on mitigation Magicite and that made the first couple of attacks survivable. I should have put MM/DMT on Y'sh though, that would have been less scary!

Oh hey, look, I never removed my "levelling" magicite team.

....whoops.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Also, Ultima Weapon's initial phase is Garuda-themed. So, if you're having serious trouble surviving the first few turns, perhaps try some Wind-Resistance equipment. It won't have as much effect later in the fight, but it could give you the space you need to set up your defenses.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Okay, down in 20s.

Still hits obscenely hard though. Two people still down.

• Options
    Okay, down in 20s.

Still hits obscenely hard though. Two people still down.

Same, I need to rethink my strategy.

Using Y'shtola's Aetherial Pulse seems like a neat idea, but not so much when I'm having her cast Hastega on turn 1, and then not getting enough meter for Asylum.

I think for part 2, I'll swap out Cid (was using his Imperil Fire S, but Ultima Weapon is already hella elementally weak) for Alphinaud, acting as a second healer and buffing the team with Deployment Tactics.

Also, like nothing of Ultima Weapon's repertoire actually takes off Blinks, it seems. Which is good for letting Thancred hit as hard as he can with Ninja stuff, but bad for actually using Blink to help out the team's defenses.

• Options
    It doesn't help that most of the attacks are piercing, and then you have nonsense like Sap on top of that.

• Options
    Wow, forget what I said earlier!

Blink stops all of Ultima Weapon's laser-based attacks. That includes Magitek Ray, Diffractive Laser, and Ultimate Homing Lasers. If you have Thancred's Blink-granting B, then maybe consider it.

Part 2 dead in 42 seconds. Probably the best I'm gonna do without any real FFXIV damage tech. I'd try using Minfilia as an Enholy knight, but I kinda need her Blessing for power and defense.

• Options
    ....hmmm I do have a burst selection to make, tempting.

A poison burst, in XIV of all places, turning out to be pretty handy is not something I would have expected.

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    Torment Part 1 and 2 down in <30s. Looks like I have no need to draw on the Alph banner, which is probably for the best.

Magic break is basically required. Strong healing also very important - while Y'sh's burst was good enough for me was it was sketchy in places. The lack of status effects other than Slow (which I rarely saw trigger) is quite nice as it frees up some slots (and puts Larsa and his BSB on the bench for once).

Other than Y'sh I had:
    - Minfilia USB1 for boost/faith/haste
    - Potato LMR+OSB
    - Alphinaud BSB
    - Ysale USB

That's plenty of DPS for the fight. Part 1 was down in 20s, while part 2 was down in 29s. Both could likely be optimized for shorter runs.

Now to figure out what to do with rubies. The 6* water sharpshooter ability looks good to put on Tidus and his glint+BSB2, but I'm not sure the "better damage with ranged weapons" is worth having to use a ranged weapon (given I lose about 50 ATK).

• Options
    It’s definitely more on the side of “actually pretty good”, rather than “outstanding”. But, element and outclassed commands aside, hitting instantly and providing the team with Blink are pretty great effects, whatever else the soul break has.

I prefer Kelger’s Howling Moon, but I take what I can use for the realm.

• Options
    Actually, come to think of it, alph BSB may be more useful than his USB for this fight with the power chain.

I got 30.7 something with a "this is stupid" and brought eiko as a second healer strategy :p

• Options
    Yep, minor tweaks, and 27s.

So XV remains my only current "not quite 30s" one

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    rattletrap wrote: »
    Now to figure out what to do with rubies. The 6* water sharpshooter ability looks good to put on Tidus and his glint+BSB2, but I'm not sure the "better damage with ranged weapons" is worth having to use a ranged weapon (given I lose about 50 ATK).

Two ATK buffs (or a 50% with good weapons or synergy) will bust right through the softcap anyways, so the multiplier increase is much more significant since it's a pure percentage increase. We're at the point where characters are hitting 600 ATK without synergy, and it's only going to get more absurd once the 7* weapons come into play.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I'm decently stacked in XIV, so I got the first two difficulties done pretty easily. Well, aside from the ridiculous damage output from Ultima Weapon. Might have to have a look at the script and see if I can't make some progress on D$$$.

Also, we'll see if I get anything out of the one draw I can afford going for the wind chain.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hrn, multiple 5-1% wipes on famfrit.

I think if I dive king I could get it, but I also think I could get it with decent rng and saving the relatively mediocre dive. Not sure.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Looking at this FF14 banner 1. It is stacked to the brim with awesome stuff, huh? Sure wish I had mythril to draw on it.

Thancred has an awesome Bubsy, an instant BSB3, and W-Cast Ninja LMR, since his LM2 is garbage.
    Pala gets and Arcane, a chase Ultra, and an interesting Glint.
    Alphi gets the Wind Chain, a Bubsy with Wind damage reflect, and a useful, if standard Glint.

The top of this banner is all aces. The Minfilia stuff is okayish

• Options
    Yes! Made some adjustments to my team and took on Ultima Wapon part 2 again. This time it went down in 29.99 seconds.

Some things that helped shave off time:

Minfilia swapped out Full Break for Assaut Sabre. I only needed Magic Breakdown for mitigation, and Yda’s B does Full Breakdown later in the right.

Alphinaud swapped out Ultra Cure for Tiamat. Beteeen Asylum and Enkidu magicite, I didn’t actually need him to heal anyone. Probably would’ve done even better if I’d equipped his B to use after the initial Deployment Tactics.

Thancred moved to slot 2. The Blink that he gets for using Shifting Sands dodges the Magitek Laser that UW fires at that slot on turn 3. Previously, I’d been having Yda Defend to survive it; this method lets me not stop attacking. This makes Thancred a decent option even without soul breaks, I think.

Not gonna try part 3, but I’m very happy to see a sub-30 without any 6-star stuff.

• Options
    Question: is Affliction Break still worth it?

• Options
    rattletraprattletrap Registered User regular
    Question: is Affliction Break still worth it?

While auto-hit status effects are getting more common, there are still plenty of fights where it's useful.

It is still worth crafting overall IMO, but if you have a reliable source of status-blink (Larsa/Iris BSB being two examples) and are starved for crystals you can probably make it a low priority craft. Also keep in mind you don't really need it past R2 so it's not very expensive.

• Options
    I've never made Affliction Break even in its Hey Day and I've always managed to complete, and its value is only going down. One of the Holy magicites has the same effect. Seraph maybe?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I would say it entirely depends on whether you can field a good Astra SB or not.

- Seraph's entry has an extremely minor version of the effect (only reduces hit chance by 10%, rather than Affliction Break's 50%).
    - Seraph is one of the last 4* magicites you'll get to; by the time you can clear that content, you're probably past the point where reducing status hit chance is useful
    - I'd usually rather have Enkidu to clean up status effects or Unicorn to block them.
    - In the fights where status effects are the biggest problem, you usually need to start defending against them before your magicite will even be ready to summon.

IMO Affliction Break still has value for accounts catching up to content; it's a bit like Full Break in that regard, though its usefulness starts a bit later in the catchup process.

Agreed that R2 is plenty. Even R1 can do a lot of work.

• Options
    Yeah, Seraph is just not the one you want to go with to break status chance. Unicorn and Affliction Break are much better for the job than Seraph

• Options
    Yeah I'm still farming Tiamat getting ready for Midgarsorm. I do have Iris though so I'll try her out before considering AB.

RE: FF14, man I have NOTHING besides Alphy on this realm. I'm gonna wait for the BFriday pull tho see if it's worth it before considering the FF14 banner.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If you have it I'd be against shattering it, but if you don't, I'd really only craft it if you absolutely need it, since its usefulness will only become more diluted with time.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    IIRC, one of the benefits of Affliction Break over Astra is that it can block imperil. With magicites throwing imperils out more and more it could improve Affliction Break's viability going forward.

This discussion has been closed.