As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Have you done all your acolyte archive selections? Meia’s enwater Burst is on at least two of those (the enelement one and the summoning/white one), iirc.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So... this new Prime Pass coming up...

Real bad taste in my mouth for this one dudes... Smells like pay to win to me.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

You can't use it on Torments, Magicite, and Fest super bosses, so that content is still "earned."

• Options
    Or Multiplayer.

It’s usable in less content than the Revive + Phoenix Bonus that’s been in the game since day 1.

The Gil and XP bonuses aren’t worth the price.

The question is what the login bonuses will be. I’m actually hoping that it’s nothing worth paying for either. Like, no mythril at all.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Passes for exp and gil are pretty worthless; maybe for a new player but even then, the game has gotten real good about exp gain available every day, and vomits out a heap of gil at the very least during every fest.

The Pass for additional login bonuses is the big mystery here. It's probably going to be crap, but if it somehow tilts to getting more mythril than the cost of the purchase or something similarly tangible, I could see it getting interest.

But I'd wager good money that it'll be turbogarbage.

• Options

You can't use it on Torments, Magicite, and Fest super bosses, so that content is still "earned."

I've long held FFRK as one of the few mobile free to play games where you can more or less ignore the paid parts and still have a great time. The introduction of a premium pass that offers bonus rewards for paying real money puts a real dent in my argument. It's not so much about beating the high-end stuff, it's about the scummy lure that sits there and goes

"sure, I suppose you COULD log without paying today, If you want. I guess I'll just keep these extra mythril/orbs/xp eggs to myself then..."

"Oh man, you just got the USB for Cloud in the daily draw? Awesome! That would really help you with that dugeon you can't beat that's shutting down tomorrow, good for you! *sigh* It's just too bad you didn't pay for premium though, because if you had, you'd have a huge stockpile of eggs by now that you could use to level him to 99. But I guess you didn't, so now you won't get to finish that dungeon... what a shame..."

A bunch of other free to play games already have these types of systems and as soon as I see them I immediately uninstall. Of course, having played FFRK for so long I'm faced with the sunk cost fallacy and I'm super resenting them for this right now.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    This is in response to Belgium outlawing loot boxes I'd wager. If it spreads to other countries and they can get enough people on subscriptions/gem store/etc maybe they can keep the game going. Global doesn't actually develop content so while profits would crater there aren't many costs.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2019

I've long held FFRK as one of the few mobile free to play games where you can more or less ignore the paid parts and still have a great time. The introduction of a premium pass that offers bonus rewards for paying real money puts a real dent in my argument. It's not so much about beating the high-end stuff, it's about the scummy lure that sits there and goes

"sure, I suppose you COULD log without paying today, If you want. I guess I'll just keep these extra mythril/orbs/xp eggs to myself then..."

"Oh man, you just got the USB for Cloud in the daily draw? Awesome! That would really help you with that dugeon you can't beat that's shutting down tomorrow, good for you! *sigh* It's just too bad you didn't pay for premium though, because if you had, you'd have a huge stockpile of eggs by now that you could use to level him to 99. But I guess you didn't, so now you won't get to finish that dungeon... what a shame..."

A bunch of other free to play games already have these types of systems and as soon as I see them I immediately uninstall. Of course, having played FFRK for so long I'm faced with the sunk cost fallacy and I'm super resenting them for this right now.

The level-up thing doesn’t really hold, at least not today. The Shores of Wisdom dungeon is open every day, and any character that needs EXP for leveling up or learning a new soul break can pretty easily be run through it by a max-level partner with an AOE attack, or by using a Roaming Warrior with Shadow’s Burst. Which earns them a solid chunk of EXP and some growth eggs. That’s of course assuming that you don’t already have an excessive pile of Growth Eggs from other stuff. It wouldve been a larger problem when Shores was only once a week.

If we want to talk shitty lures, how about those 100-gem discount pulls on banners? Such a bargain, until you’ve spent hundreds with maybe a dozen or two hits. But is such a discount, only $1 at a time! Ugh.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Enlong wrote: »

The level-up thing doesn’t really hold, at least not today. The Shores of Wisdom dungeon is open every day, and any character that needs EXP for leveling up or learning a new soul break can pretty easily be run through it by a max-level partner with an AOE attack, or by using a Roaming Warrior with Shadow’s Burst. Which earns them a solid chunk of EXP and some growth eggs. That’s of course assuming that you don’t already have an excessive pile of Growth Eggs from other stuff. It wouldve been a larger problem when Shores was only once a week.

If we want to talk shitty lures, how about those 100-gem discount pulls on banners? Such a bargain, until you’ve spent hundreds with maybe a dozen or two hits. But is such a discount, only $1 at a time! Ugh.

But unlike the 100 gem pulls, the premium pass offers guaranteed returns every day you log in with one.

The 100 gem pulls are absolutely not worth it and I would counsel anyone still pulling on those to stop it. It's luck-based gambling in its purest form and there's 0 guarantee of any return whatsoever. I'm willing to bet there's a bunch of super-lucky free-only players out there that have gotten better relics via sheer luck on regular mythril pulls than those who paid for 100 pulls. My feeling is that, if feel you absolutely must buy gems, save up the money you would have otherwise spent on 100 pulls until you have enough to pull on the regular and/or special gem banners for semi-guaranteed results. The only time I've ever pulled on a 100 gem was when I had bit of a gem overflow from having paid for another banner that was more worthwhile.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Yeah. Like I said, I’m hoping that the login bonus thing is something laughably not worth it, so that the minimum number of people are tempted to use it.

I’d much rather this not be a thing at all, of course; I think I’m going to write them a message asking not to go through with it. Probably not going to accomplish anything, but they do always say that these things are subject to change without warning, so maybe if enough people express a lack of desire for this feature...

—————

In other news, I think I may have a possible strategy for defeating Syldra. It’s going to require proper use of all the good stuff I have for Squall: his U2 in the first phase, to do damage while building meter. His O after Manticore leaves, to break Rage and minimize Syldra’s actions. And his B2 for the final push, to do capped hits through High Stakes, after I get Manticore back online. Turns out that Löwen Roar is still absolutely incredible. I’m definitely going to have to round up some more health for Onion, to keep him alive and Entrusting. That’s gonna require some inheritance or waiting for more Crystal Waters, though.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    an upfront cost for slightly better value in pull currency over time if you login every day is a fairly common gacha mechanic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Have you done all your acolyte archive selections? Meia’s enwater Burst is on at least two of those (the enelement one and the summoning/white one), iirc.

That's...huh. I haven't gotten IX yet, so that's actually an option. Neat!

(Still probably won't help with Belias :P )

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    shit I'm surprised. Doing a Ability Spam into AOSB while under a Chain is faster (sub 22 kill) than doing a USB into AOSB.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    shit I'm surprised. Doing a Ability Spam into AOSB while under a Chain is faster (sub 22 kill) than doing a USB into AOSB.

Yep, and it's also why auto en-element LMR are particularly good for this. You can ability spam/AASB before the aura wears off. And if you are spamming 6* abilities, you can usually fit in a Glint as well.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    It's been possible for years to spend money to pay to win individual fights via Continue, or to grind basic resources by restoring stamina to spend on daily dungeons. We'll see what the actual offer is when it arrives, but I suspect it's going to be a similarly shitty value, so I'm not really worried about it. And the biggest way to pay to win is still "do a bunch of relic draws on the currently active banner," which isn't changing.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "spend gems -> get a daily mythril supply" option, that seems like something a lot of other gachas do. I don't know if that would fly for the Belgium anti-gambling regulations though, since it's basically just a step of currency laundering. The main point of mythril is to do relic draws, so it's just adding an extra few steps in the "spend real money for randomized virtual garbage" machine.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I finally got my 3 additional Manticore kills and I'm done with 5* ice for now. Last run even clocked in at 27.48, my fastest time I think for any of the 5*s.

Think I'll work on getting some 4* fodder for inheritance for a bit, before trying to tackle the wind Magicites. On paper, I have some good tools for it, but it's also the wind Magicites, so.....

(Also need to dive Krile one day to reward her for work well done vs Manticore. Pity that Spi/Wis is such a large category.)

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Poked a bit more seriously at Syldra.

Rosa is not a good Sharpshooter. Also her SSB takes FOREVER to cast against Syldra.
    Celes isn't great with only her LMR, BSB1 and Glint.

Might try Edge as a Sharpshooter and his SSB.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think at this point Celes needs her USB to work.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I’ve been diving everyone who can use water in a vain attempt to get a second Phoenix clear. No dice. ._.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Trying to figure out my Quizacoatle team, so far:
    Cinque with dive and USB
    Bartz with dive and USB2
    Onion Knight pUSB and LMR
    Elarra USB and LMR

Last slot I can't figure out between Red13 with chain, Tifa with imperil, or Ingus with radiant.

Same with active magicite either 3* with imperil or 4* with bar lightning.

Thanks for the tips everyone, using bar lightning. I finally managed a mastery with Galuf, carrying Protectga, and his bsb2 & lmr
    Without the protectga i was taking too much damage for the mastery. 49s clear

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    So, most of the login pass bonuses are normal stuff like souls and major orbs, which can be earned otherwise or are in ludicrous abundance. But there are also 5-star motes available. I don’t think it’s worth the price or time investment, however. Over a period of 31 days, it would see one getting 10 motes each in 5 stats. It would take at least, what, at least 10 months and $50 to see this add up to an extra legend dive. Possibly 12 and $60 if the cycles line up badly. In the same time frame, one could earn more than thrice that in each month’s crystal tower.

Even so, this might actually entice some people to buy, because it’s a limited resource, all the same. I REALLY don’t like that.

• Options
    This is more or less what I expected the contents of the login pass to be. I don't think the 5* motes thing bothers me, those aren't THAT limited for longtime players. What I find offensive is that thing where you have to pay attention and purchase/renew the pass at a particular time of day, otherwise you might miss your last login bonus. Granted, dark matter is an exceptionally useless item, but even so, I find "we couldn't think of a good way to program this, so we'll address it in the terms and conditions" to be highly disrespectful of the customer.

I'm wondering what the target audience for this is. It doesn't appeal to the impulse buyer, since it will take a very long time to get anything out of it, and it doesn't really appeal to the bargain hunter since most of it isn't that valuable. Maybe it's intended for new players who "want to support the game" to get them started on the slippery slope of spending money?

• Options
    New players who want to catch up quickly would be my guess. Chaining Realm/Record Dungeons gives them the mythril, they need the souls exp gil and orbs to pass out older players.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    If they wanted to get around lootbox restrictions, my preference would've been to make every 11-pull the equivalent of a select. Pull 11 randoms, then pick one on-banner relic.

• Options
    Shit...I really can't down Quetz. I can bring him to 50% at the 45 sec mark before I run out of hones...can it be done without a Chain?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I did quetz without a chain. Bartz usb, tifa usb2/aosb, guy ssb, onion pusb and elarra.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    For me it was (IIRC),

Onion (Forbidden Wisdom)
    Bartz (U1, BE, full dive)
    Guy (B, full dive)
    Leo (U, full dive)
    Relm (U)

Guy was crucial to me, because between his dive (chance to Imperil Earth when using Earth attacks) and his Burst, he was able to keep Zappy Bird afflicted with a lot of Imperil Earth. In the absence of a chain, massive Imperil use is probably the best bet.

Guy also has an Imperil Earth Super on the acolyte archive selection.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Q is horrible. King Bee is much easier even if you don't have magic. Are you breaking Q's rage constantly?
    Darklyre wrote: »
    If they wanted to get around lootbox restrictions, my preference would've been to make every 11-pull the equivalent of a select. Pull 11 randoms, then pick one on-banner relic.

I don't see how that isn't gambling.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Q is horrible. King Bee is much easier even if you don't have magic. Are you breaking Q's rage constantly?
    Darklyre wrote: »

I don't see how that isn't gambling.

Technically, you could say that you're buying a relic of your choice, and the 11-pull is a tacked-on bonus.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Ok here's the thing. I'm not timing right my Stone Presses with Q's rages. Also I went with

Elarra USB LD
    Ramza BSB2 LD
    Gladio USB LD
    Bartz USB1LD
    Shelke Entrusting

I think my low dps was due to fielding Shelke. I can swap her out for Guy (I have his Imperil BSB) and I have enough motes to LD him too. I'm wondering tho, should I also Create and Hone a new set of Heavy C skills for him? I have Blaststrike on Bartz but should I get the 5 hit Spellblade too?

Edit: I could also field Dorgann. I have his USB. I wonder if I should do Glint into USB with Bartz or Earth BSB into USB with him.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    If you have crystals and rubies to burn, put Earth Ironfist on Guy, imo. The 6* earth spellblade on Bartz probably isn't a big enough upgrade.

Just to verify, that's the 2/8 hit chase on Bartz, right? If you have the one that does the overflow finisher, that would be a reasonable choice to take entrusts from Shelke. For that matter, taking more entrusts on Gladio to keep recasting his USB is also pretty good.

edit to add: also, hopefully Gladio is in slot 2/4. When a character gets paralyzed, they lose all their heavy charge stacks :X

also also: the re-enrages happen a set number of enemy turns after you break an enrage. Keep a count in your head, and you'll know when to have Gladio wait.

Fry on
  • Options
    Ok here's the thing. I'm not timing right my Stone Presses with Q's rages. Also I went with

Elarra USB LD
    Ramza BSB2 LD
    Gladio USB LD
    Bartz USB1LD
    Shelke Entrusting

I think my low dps was due to fielding Shelke. I can swap her out for Guy (I have his Imperil BSB) and I have enough motes to LD him too. I'm wondering tho, should I also Create and Hone a new set of Heavy C skills for him? I have Blaststrike on Bartz but should I get the 5 hit Spellblade too?

Edit: I could also field Dorgann. I have his USB. I wonder if I should do Glint into USB with Bartz or Earth BSB into USB with him.

If you have Ramza entrusting then no need for Shelke too.
    For 6* abilities I had r4 of Blastspell strike and r3 Iron fist earth.

I did USB2 to bsb to USB2 on my bartz. Using Blastspell as fast as possible for meter gen and dmg. Not worrying about enearth until just before the first USB expired to boost the overstrike.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was using Earth Sabre on Ramza to do some damage but definitely should've entrusted someone. Here's the thing I wonder tho, what's the best use of that extra SB? Should I entrust Elarra for Quickcasts+Regen or Gladio/Bartz and I guess Guy?

• Options
    Did you lose because he did too much damage? If so entrusting Elarra is a good idea. If the fight is going long and you have a magic blink blinking the imperils can save you a ton of damage.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    I lost because I ran out of hones. Lesse, Gladio has 572 atk and Bartz 587 atk and I was doing about 5k per hit with Heavy Charge and BlastStrike after Battle Cry.

• Options
    I was using Earth Sabre on Ramza to do some damage but definitely should've entrusted someone. Here's the thing I wonder tho, what's the best use of that extra SB? Should I entrust Elarra for Quickcasts+Regen or Gladio/Bartz and I guess Guy?

I would say all meter should go to Elarra, the quickcast and keeping everyone at max hp is just too handy.
    Quetzacoatle does so many attacks and damage, i didnt find my dps lacking for SB generation, especially if they are using 6* abilities.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Elarra USB LD
    Ramza BSB2 LD
    Gladio USB LD
    Bartz USB1LD
    Shelke Entrusting

If you have Ramza entrusting then no need for Shelke too.
    For 6* abilities I had r4 of Blastspell strike and r3 Iron fist earth.

I did USB2 to bsb to USB2 on my bartz. Using Blastspell as fast as possible for meter gen and dmg. Not worrying about enearth until just before the first USB expired to boost the overstrike.

The overstrike finisher is "fixed" damage, I don't think element aura boosts it. Turning on the aura sooner, so your attacks do more damage, will boost it. For that matter, recasting the USB before it expires will boost the next finisher. Generally you don't want to let finisher type EX modes expire.

• Options
    What’s the deal with this crystal tower anima fight? Killing the arms seems important and pointless at the same time.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited January 2019
    What’s the deal with this crystal tower anima fight? Killing the arms seems important and pointless at the same time.

My advice is to kill just one of the arms, debuff the remaining two targets with dances, and then ignore the remaining arm and focus on killing Anima itself.

With only one arm alive, Resonant Magic will only hit you once. And with only one arm dead, Anima can’t revive the other arm, so the boss’s offensive potential is nearly halved, and the boss can’t do anything about it. This is how I did the record dungeon version, as well.

Enlong on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Just reviewed the AI for that fight...it's pretty weird!

Anima itself doesn't actively attack. If any arms are present, it has 100% counter chance for an AOE physical attack. Once both arms are destroyed, it will revive them 3.0-3.3 seconds later (less than one standard hasted turn for your characters).

If you haven't damaged the main body at all, the arms will alternate between AOE physical and single target physical attacks. If the body is damaged at all, the arms will spam Apocalypse Resonant Magic (AOE 35% max HP, ignores blinks, ignores KO resist) as long as they're up.

What you may want to do is have a back row team and spam counterable AOE attacks, Anima's counter isn't that bad if you have Wall and Protect up, and it'll give you a bunch of meter to spend on medica and big booms, etc. Or uncounterable AOE for that matter (e.g. 6* summons).

Fry on
This discussion has been closed.