As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Breathtaking [jobs]

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Thanks for the insight! They do sound like they'd be really good, I hope we get them.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Adjustable is absolutely the way to go. I worked for about a while at the library service center which has mostly adjustable but some static standing desks, and the static ones are horrendous if you're more than an inch or two taller or shorter than their design specs. The adjustable ones moved up and down with about as much fuss as the windows in my car, and were just lovely.

And yeah, fatigue mats are a must. The ones we used were just the plain old gel mats they sell for kitchens, and they made a world of difference when you're spending all day on your feet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I've been really tempted to get one of the adjustable ones for home use.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My office has the vari desk tops or whatever and they're nice but their commercials kill me because none of the stuff in their ads have a single wire/cable/cord anywhere to be seen and it's like hmmm

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I could not imagine drinking during the workday without having 3 hours blocked out for a nap.

Yeah, if nothing else this is an issue as even one beer makes me drowsy and then I get a headache the next day. I hate being an old.

steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Just drink more to build up your tolerance!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Man, today was just one of those days where I got shit done.

Feels good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    ...and segue directly into family medical emergency

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Oh no!

Jedoc wrote: »
    Once, one of my circ clerks brought an apple cake with bourbon sauce to a library potluck. The sauce was basically bourbon, brown sugar, and butter, and there was a large cup of it so you could drizzle it over your slice of cake. I don't know if the recipe was meant to cook the alcohol out, but in this case it absolutely did not.

Most of the sauce was left over after the cake was gone, so we put it in the staff room fridge and just added some to our coffee for the next week.

Oh, crap, I forgot to mention: a smarter librarian than I named it Danny Greene coffee, in that it was both Irish and Bulletproof.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Adjustable desks are nice. We have them at the office here, but I use mine in a non-standard way. I keep it jacked up about 6 inches so I don't have to slouch down to work. I can't stand and use because I'm too tall and I'd just be hunched over giving myself more back pain. All told, I like it a lot.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So silly geese time my not manager and the busted down a rank co manager did a semi intervention saying why were are here till 3am is due to slow and incorrect stocking with a 30 demo and PowerPoint series of hiw they want it done

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I mean, as with drunkness, there are varying levels of being high. I know a couple of employees here use it daily as either a physical or mental health treatment, and so they’re aiming for a functional high. About equivalent to a glass of wine at a lunch meeting.

That Business Casual high.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I have a standing desk at work that I never change the height of, but it's super nice to be a shorter person and have a desk that's the exact height I need! Makes working so much nicer.

Turns out it probably isn't anything life threatening, but my grandma has dementia and I live closest right now so if she ends up in the hospital for any reason she really needs someone with her. I think she's okay but she is just really confused.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    get a treadmill desk! (don't get a treadmill desk)

We have powered and unpowered standing desks, the powered ones are definitely snazzier but frankly a bit more of a pain, the mechanism adds a lot of bulk under the desk which can be annoying when you're sitting, and you have to have enough plugs. Where the unpowered ones you just winch up and down as you need.

Work-wise, very little of today has been worth getting out of bed for, and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered.

After over 20 years in the service and retail industries, I will sit on my ass as much as I can, thank you very much. I stand up when I need more coffee, and that's it.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Yesterday morning, we had two guys with signs protesting outside our store (but not on the property). Their sign stated that we ‘tampered’ with food, and a phone number to call.

End of my shift, I worked up the courage to talk to them. Turns out, their boss paid them to protest because the boss’s food was repeatedly messed up. They were only out there because it was an easy paycheque.

I honestly have no words....

EDIT: I have been informed said person has people dropping fliers containing the same info into the mailboxes of the surrounding neighbourhood.

Muzzmuzz on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Hullo

Anyone here use/ used a standing desk?

We are trying to advocate for them at my place, I've never experienced one but my work pals say they're pretty good for backs. We've just had someone go on maternity leave so she won't be back for 9-12 months but she could have definitely done with one the last few weeks.

Just curious what people's experiences are!

We have a couple people here who have the adjustable ones where you can set it up to stand, and then when you get tired/don't feel like it, move it back to the sitting position.

Yep, we have the electric ones that go up and down at my company, they're great. Also great for preventing work ergo injuries.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Yesterday morning, we had two guys with signs protesting outside our store (but not on the property). Their sign stated that we ‘tampered’ with food, and a phone number to call.

End of my shift, I worked up the courage to talk to them. Turns out, their boss paid them to protest because the boss’s food was repeatedly messed up. They were only out there because it was an easy paycheque.

EDIT: I have been informed said person has people dropping fliers containing the same info into the mailboxes of the surrounding neighbourhood.

That sounds like a libel lawsuit waiting to happen. That guy is an idiot.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    OMG they fixed the air vent in my office. It is silent in here now! No more jet turbine and needing to shout! This is the best day ever!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

That sounds like a libel lawsuit waiting to happen. That guy is an idiot.

You get into the whole truth as defense thing and blah blah blah. I think there is a thing called tortious interference that is more about fucking over business relationships maliciously without the speech issues.

Of course, if he has folks putting things in mail boxes not through the post office then he's having them commit federal crimes.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Speaking of workplace ergonomics, I think I need to get some new shoes. I spend 4 hours a day walking around a supermarket and it does make my feet pretty sore. I just wear a pair of Etsy skate shoes I've had for years. Wondering what would be a good replacement.

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Speaking of workplace ergonomics, I think I need to get some new shoes. I spend 4 hours a day walking around a supermarket and it does make my feet pretty sore. I just wear a pair of Etsy skate shoes I've had for years. Wondering what would be a good replacement.

My fiance swears by her Skechers shoes. She teaches, invigilates exams at a polytechnic, and works cash at a grocery store, and wears various models of Skechers shoes that all have the same goga mat foam sole. (I think that's the name they use for the foam, anyway. She's got black trainers-looking shoes for the grocery store and then classier ones for teaching and whatnot.)

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I swear up and down by Rockport. Comfiest shoes I've ever owned and my first pair lasted like 8 years of daily use.

steam_sig.png
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Go to a running store. They should have some good suggestions for fit/padding and various brands of shoes to try out.
    Ours has a 2 week return policy as well. You can return for a different pair if they aren't as comfortable.

PSN: jfrofl
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I love my Sketchers. They even come in comp/steel toe sneakers that are industry-standard compliant.

sig.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Skechers are great as a comfy budget shoe option. Real running shoes are pricey AF, though I finally caved and bought some a while back because I kept running through the soles of my Skechers. But if you're looking for something in the 20-30 quid range that's where id go.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    Skechers are great as a comfy budget shoe option. Real running shoes are pricey AF, though I finally caved and bought some a while back because I kept running through the soles of my Skechers. But if you're looking for something in the 20-30 quid range that's where id go.

Yeah, I think I dropped $120 for mine, and I'm basically going to walk in those until they are rags.
    I had found Asics to be quite comfortable historically as well and usually pretty cheap?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Everyday in December is a different "holiday theme". the 19th is "Dress like an elf day". Due to an accident on the part of Hot Topic my wife and I each have about $200 extra cash right now.

Should I blow like $45-$50 buying elf ears, a cloak, a blond wig and a fake bow to dress like a Tolkein Elf? I kind of really want to be a smart ass....

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Everyday in December is a different "holiday theme". the 19th is "Dress like an elf day". Due to an accident on the part of Hot Topic my wife and I each have about $200 extra cash right now.

Should I blow like $45-$50 buying elf ears, a cloak, a blond wig and a fake bow to dress like a Tolkein Elf? I kind of really want to be a smart ass....

You know what you must do

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I wait until the ASICS model I like is a generation or two old and buy them, then typically wear those sneakers for ~3 years before replacing them. I've had Gel Kayano 10s, 12s, 14s, 17s, 20s, and 22s. They're REALLY fucking good, and if I were a rich man I'd do exactly the same thing, just replace them more often. There's no way on Earth I'm paying AUD$260 for a pair of sneakers, I'll still buy the model that's two years superseded for AUD$140, I'd just get a new pair every year.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Avoid shoes with memory foam.

What they don't tell you is foot sweat melts it(??).

My shoes are missing like 6 huge chunks of foam instead of whatever product they used to use for insoles.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    My fiance hasn't had any issues like that with her Skechers with the goga mat soles. (She's got sandals with the same sole material as well.) Just in case you might be worried about them.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

You posted this knowing we were gonna give you a resounding yes. There's no turning back now.

Sometimes folks are asking for advice, sometimes they're just asking for permission.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So now I'm searching Amazon for a large mans hooded elf cloak....its only 10 AM.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

I'm not saying this sounds like you and your wife robbed a Hot Topic, but it also doesn't not sound like that.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I wait until the ASICS model I like is a generation or two old and buy them, then typically wear those sneakers for ~3 years before replacing them. I've had Gel Kayano 10s, 12s, 14s, 17s, 20s, and 22s. They're REALLY fucking good, and if I were a rich man I'd do exactly the same thing, just replace them more often. There's no way on Earth I'm paying AUD$260 for a pair of sneakers, I'll still buy the model that's two years superseded for AUD$140, I'd just get a new pair every year.

My wife is a teacher on her feet most of the day and she swears by the arch support in ASICS as well. I like Sketchers but I try to avoid memory foam and get them with the Goga mat material in them. Unless they are awesome looking, then I'll make the exception for memory foam.

Today people won't leave me alone and we're only here until 2pm (holiday party). I think I need some of those cat eat headphones with lights on them to say "Hey, I'm busy, please leave me be!"

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    My other job is in the food industry, and my wife works it full time. We've both tried every comfortable work shoe option imaginable, and the best shoes either of us have ever found for standing in all day have been the various flavors of Adidas Boost (Ultra Boosts, Pure Boosts, etc).

They're night and day more comfortable than any other running/walking shoe. Their only downside is that the outsoles get pretty grimed up within a few months, but they stay comfortable until you literally wear through them.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.