As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DELTARUNE: Chapter 2 out now!

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I don't think the game showed the legend on startup or had this title screen yesterday. Though, might be different because I finished the game, not because of time.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    cB557 wrote: »
    I don't think the game showed the legend on startup or had this title screen yesterday. Though, might be different because I finished the game, not because of time.
    Its because you finished. It changed to that after I beat it yesterday.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    DISORGANIZED THOUGHTS
    (spoilers for "everything", except for the things I didn't find)
    You can't name yourself Gaster still.
    Anagrams! Ralsei <-> Asriel is the main one, but also Rouxls Kaard <-> Dark Souls (i assume a joke about the difficulty of his puzzles?) and Kris <-> Frisk. Also, ANGEL'S HEAVEN <-> VEGAN SEAL HEN
    You can explain the missing F for Kris <-> Frisk if you say Kris F., but it should be Kris D. since they are a Dreemurr - King Fluffybuns reference confirmed?

My initial thoughts upon entering the Dark World was that it was a constructed game for Kris and Susie (maybe by Alphys or Toriel, with the goal of promoting friendship or what have you), and that that would be the explanation for all of the Undertale parallels (and why Ralsei seems to know what is going to happen or what 'should' happen). In the end it still appears to have been a constructed game, just one that maybe they themselves constructed?

Ralsei appears to be the prince of hearts but there's no interaction with the imprisoned card kings so ???
    Undyne not knowing Alphys but recognizing you as a Asgore's kid is weird. It seems like a small town where everyone knows each other, so ??? I guess meant to reinforce the sense of weirdness and wrongness you get from this parallel Undertale?
    Why does Catty's husband call Asriel Doug/Douglas. Togore confirmed?

I don't get the Jevil's deal. His face seems familiar - is it supposed to be Gaster's face, or?

i missed a bunch of stuff in the town at the end my first time through. the headstones in the graveyard reference the deceased who make up the amalgams + Gerson iirc. There's a weird locked door to the south of town which I don't know if it's Jevil related or not because I didn't check the first time.

Could you always go back to bed after starting the game and end up immediately in the Dark World?

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited November 2018
    The Spade king was repeating earlier Susie dialog. Weird.

"Quiet people piss me off"

"This is what happens to traitors"

Dr. Chaos on
    i did another playthrough. not much changed. looking at the localization files like a cheater and finding some interesting things

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Did another runthrough, looks like my first run didn't miss anything outside of
    Jevil

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    The Spade king was repeating earlier Susie dialog. Weird.

"Quiet people piss me off"

"This is what happens to traitors"
    Presumably a deliberate choice to show Susie's growth.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

toby fox you fucking madman

you've been sitting on this for 5-6 YEARS????

you sly fox, you

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    A friend of mine and I had an amazing exchange due to Discord fucking up its "failed message transmission" protocol.

Very end of the game spoilers!
    Her: "My theory is that this is a sequel to the Genocide ending set in an alternate universe where Frisk never got sick."
    Me: "Yeah, that makes sense." << This text turns red after a few seconds
    Her: "... why is that text red."
    Me: "I DON'T KNOW"
    Her: "CHARA IS HERE"

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Apparently this is the start of a project Toby wants to do with an actual team of people which does not exist yet

BahamutZERO.gif
    "Susie joined your team for real" really is a nice little moment.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Ending spoilers:
    Out of curiosity, did anyone here actually think of Kris as a real character? Did you take the main plot of the game seriously, or were you just going through it trying to mine for parallels to Undertale? If you took the pacifist route, did you do so as an actual choice or because you knew in advance that the pacifist route would give you the "best" ending? Did you recognize Sans because you thought Kris would, or because you yourself knew him from Undertale?

I think there's a reason that Chara came out so quickly. In Undertale, you could play the whole game convincing yourself that you were acting as the main character, with Chara only appearing after you decide to completely abandon any semblance of roleplaying. In Deltarune, you likely start out with your thoughts tainted from the start, viewing Kris as nothing more than another empty vessel through which you experience the game. By the end of the chapter, you've screwed with his identity so much that Chara is all that's left.

I think the character we see at the end is Kris? The soul we see throughout the game and that they rip out of their body appears the same as the one we are identified as in that nowhere space in the beginning, and of course the first save we make overwrite's Kris's save with one under our name. I don't think it's Chara taking over Kris, I think it's Kris forcing us out.

I think the character we see at the end is Kris? The soul we see throughout the game and that they rip out of their body appears the same as the one we are identified as in that nowhere space in the beginning, and of course the first save we make overwrite's Kris's save with one under our name. I don't think it's Chara taking over Kris, I think it's Kris forcing us out.
    One of the things I was interested in seeing if it had any effects was a no save playthrough.

I don't know that it is Kris (or Chara for that matter). While the people around town find Kris weird and a little creepy, nothing really indicates Kris is a crazy murderer. There is weirdness with Kris' part of the bedroom, though (especially the cage being there and apparently having been used before. . .)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    jothki wrote: »
    Ending spoilers:
    Out of curiosity, did anyone here actually think of Kris as a real character? Did you take the main plot of the game seriously, or were you just going through it trying to mine for parallels to Undertale? If you took the pacifist route, did you do so as an actual choice or because you knew in advance that the pacifist route would give you the "best" ending? Did you recognize Sans because you thought Kris would, or because you yourself knew him from Undertale?

I think there's a reason that Chara came out so quickly. In Undertale, you could play the whole game convincing yourself that you were acting as the main character, with Chara only appearing after you decide to completely abandon any semblance of roleplaying. In Deltarune, you likely start out with your thoughts tainted from the start, viewing Kris as nothing more than another empty vessel through which you experience the game. By the end of the chapter, you've screwed with his identity so much that Chara is all that's left.

:/
    This is just a new universe Chara has created to pillage again.
    He always comes across into new worlds whenever there are bars to raise.

Sans came across too because he does that.
    And someone's got to look out for his brothers.

discrider on
    edited November 2018
    P10 wrote: »
    DISORGANIZED THOUGHTS
    (spoilers for "everything", except for the things I didn't find)
    You can't name yourself Gaster still.
    Anagrams! Ralsei <-> Asriel is the main one, but also Rouxls Kaard <-> Dark Souls (i assume a joke about the difficulty of his puzzles?) and Kris <-> Frisk. Also, ANGEL'S HEAVEN <-> VEGAN SEAL HEN
    You can explain the missing F for Kris <-> Frisk if you say Kris F., but it should be Kris D. since they are a Dreemurr - King Fluffybuns reference confirmed?

My initial thoughts upon entering the Dark World was that it was a constructed game for Kris and Susie (maybe by Alphys or Toriel, with the goal of promoting friendship or what have you), and that that would be the explanation for all of the Undertale parallels (and why Ralsei seems to know what is going to happen or what 'should' happen). In the end it still appears to have been a constructed game, just one that maybe they themselves constructed?

Ralsei appears to be the prince of hearts but there's no interaction with the imprisoned card kings so ???
    Undyne not knowing Alphys but recognizing you as a Asgore's kid is weird. It seems like a small town where everyone knows each other, so ??? I guess meant to reinforce the sense of weirdness and wrongness you get from this parallel Undertale?
    Why does Catty's husband call Asriel Doug/Douglas. Togore confirmed?

I don't get the Jevil's deal. His face seems familiar - is it supposed to be Gaster's face, or?

i missed a bunch of stuff in the town at the end my first time through. the headstones in the graveyard reference the deceased who make up the amalgams + Gerson iirc. There's a weird locked door to the south of town which I don't know if it's Jevil related or not because I didn't check the first time.

Could you always go back to bed after starting the game and end up immediately in the Dark World?
    Jevil is just the Jester from a pack of cards; that's his entire deal I think.
    Weird locked door is just weird and locked I think.

discrider on
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Apparently this is the start of a project Toby wants to do with an actual team of people which does not exist yet

Ok this could explain some things about the direction then.

The one thing I really can't shake from my view of Deltarune so far is how... on rail it feels? I know the world of UT wasn't huge but it felt more open. More explorable. And like it had structure. Deltarune (at least Chapter 1) feels like it has a few areas that are one off screens, and just branches predictably from them. The events are so jam packed together in these maps it makes everything feel so small.

But the other good shit you would expect from UT is there. Great writing and combat that is an experience. Also the characters are just as good as ever.

If there is a bigger picture about the whole thing, and Chapter 1 really is just a HUGE demo, then I feel like I can ignore those aspects for now. That is something having many more people on board can solve.

Character note
    Rouxls Kaard is the rules card in a deck.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Character note
    Rouxls Kaard is the rules card in a deck.

Ugh! Can't believe I missed that.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    "Here are my thoughts on Ch 1 of Deltarune. This should answer some questions." - tobyfox

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn3p9

Main takeaway is don't expect to be able to play the full game unless Toby can put together a team and actually make it.

Oh, also that this is an alternate universe that happens to use those characters.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    One of the things I was interested in seeing if it had any effects was a no save playthrough.

I don't know that it is Kris (or Chara for that matter). While the people around town find Kris weird and a little creepy, nothing really indicates Kris is a crazy murderer. There is weirdness with Kris' part of the bedroom, though (especially the cage being there and apparently having been used before. . .)
    The knife isn't because he's a crazy murderer it's so he can cut himself some pie

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    "Here are my thoughts on Ch 1 of Deltarune. This should answer some questions." - tobyfox

Main takeaway is don't expect to be able to play the full game unless Toby can put together a team and actually make it.

Oh, also that this is an alternate universe that happens to use those characters.
    It's quite disappointing that he seems committed to not doing pacifist/genocide routes anymore. I don't know what the point of the whole Act/Fight dichotomy is then. The game is constantly rubbing in your face how important that distinction is, much more explicitly than Undertale did, but then it truly doesn't matter in the end which one you choose? It just seems wrong.

Zek wrote: »

It's quite disappointing that he seems committed to not doing pacifist/genocide routes anymore. I don't know what the point of the whole Act/Fight dichotomy is then. The game is constantly rubbing in your face how important that distinction is, much more explicitly than Undertale did, but then it truly doesn't matter in the end which one you choose? It just seems wrong.
    i mean i see the argument that doing it again would just be retreading old ground (which i would think fans would be mostly okay with). and you could have it be a thematic contrast to undertale, which was about your choices having consequences, whereas instead deltarune seems to have the thesis statement of your choices don't matter and your actions are futile (which of course could be setting up for excitement when you manage to CHANGE YOUR FATE)

it wasn't really surprising that doing a full FIGHT playthrough didn't change much from full SPARE (once you see that you never actually kill an enemy, regardless). i guess its disappointing but that was more from deltarune not having a ton of replayability (but its essentially a demo and lacking in tons of behind the scenes hidden fun stuff to mess with, so) (and tbf i didn't actually 'replay' undertale so)

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Ok this could explain some things about the direction then.

The one thing I really can't shake from my view of Deltarune so far is how... on rail it feels? I know the world of UT wasn't huge but it felt more open. More explorable. And like it had structure. Deltarune (at least Chapter 1) feels like it has a few areas that are one off screens, and just branches predictably from them. The events are so jam packed together in these maps it makes everything feel so small.

But the other good shit you would expect from UT is there. Great writing and combat that is an experience. Also the characters are just as good as ever.

If there is a bigger picture about the whole thing, and Chapter 1 really is just a HUGE demo, then I feel like I can ignore those aspects for now. That is something having many more people on board can solve.

Yeah, the Undertale Demo from way back when was also fairly on-rails, only featuring the Ruins part of the game. Undertale doesn't really open up until...after that.
    Zek wrote: »

Toby seems aware of this potential issue, so I'd be surprised if there were no attempts to remedy it in a hypothetical full game. Especially since there is already a clear narrative groundwork for development on that front. That being said, I think the different dialogue options etc. that you get to see from Act/Fight justifies it in and of itself.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    He did mention Fighting/Acting in Question 5, so at least it seems like something he could address if he ever finishes the game.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    thoughts
    Ralsei and Rouxls Kaard best new characters.

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Do you have to know Undertale for this or is it its own thing?

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Fawst wrote: »
    Do you have to know Undertale for this or is it its own thing?

i mean, it's probably much better if you played UNDERTALE but DELTARUNE is not a sequel in the traditional sense...

21stCentury on
    So far it's a Final Fantasy style sequel. Recurring characters, themes, and mechanics without it actually being a story sequel.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think you should definitely play Undertale first, there's a pretty huge amount of overlap which is intended to have an effect on the player that you'd be missing without the context.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    thoughts
    Ralsei and Rouxls Kaard best new characters.
    GOD
    DAMN IT

i love the pun in their name, too.
    he's useless, like a rules card!

Beat Jevil. Took me three or four tries, but only that. Didn't feel particularly bullshit.

The knife isn't because he's a crazy murderer it's so he can cut himself some pie

<_<
    Last time he ate the entire pie though, so the knife seems superfluous.

edited November 2018
    Well, since we probably won't see anything more from this for another three or four years, going to go ahead and try to put it out of my mind.

Godspeed to Toby, I'm sure he'll deliver a great game again and I appreciate his brutally honest thoughts and transparency about the project but it always bums me out when stuff gets announced super early.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited November 2018
    Only just realized that the dark section's of Ralsei's torso are shading, and not a dark green jacket that they're wearing on top of their cloak.
    Darn, it looks cool with that jacket.

cB557 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Wow that insane uninstall oversight is the same as in Sierra's unpatched uninstaller for the retail Half-Life 1.0 release on CD, which cost me all my games saves and self-programmed games back in 2001. I kept all of that in sub-directories under a single top-level "Games" folder. The uninstall is effectively a DELTREE on the entire path to the game, minus the root of the drive.

Back then, I didn't know what had happened at first and wound up making the same mistake on both my laptop and desktop before I realized why that folder got nuked. To this day I still haven't managed to re-code or re-complete most of that. I'm shocked to see this sort of elementary mistake again.

I don't see anything on the site that would let me contact its maker. I don't use Social Media, so that isn't an option. Any idea how to perhaps email them?

kLusJaY.png

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Actually The End Of The Game Spoilers
    Double Spoiler Protection. Turn back if you haven't seen the credits.
    How the hell is it that walking around the calm town got me more shocked than any of the preceding events?

Everything is like, just somewhat different. The town looks like the kind of idyllic scene that was set up at the end of Undertale; Toriel's a teacher, monsters are happy, etc. But Undyne doesn't know Alphys. sans and Papyrus are new in town and nobody knows them. Asriel is alive and there's no indication that this is a name given to him in honor of the original Asriel. And there's not a single human in town other than Kris. So is this before Undertale? Is this town some place in Mt. Ebott? Except that Toriel and Asgore are separated, but Asgore isn't a king, and Toriel isn't locked in some distant Ruins, which is apparently where she went as soon as she split with Asgore. Not to mention that Gerson (remember him? The old turtle shopkeep dude from Undetale?) is dead. And Asriel is old enough to go to college, even though he and Chara died as children.

And that's not even to mention the freaky-as-hell ending scene.

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?
    The only character that doesn't seem different in some signficant way is Sans

Which isn't surprising, but notable

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If ya'll finished Delta Rune Toby wrote up a Twitlonger post giving some answers to what it is and what to expect going forward.

WARNING. SPOILERS.

DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU FINISHED DELTA RUNE.

OR DO IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT SPOILERS.

I'M NOT A COP.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg