Options

DELTARUNE: Chapter 2 out now!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    oh I mean I actually don't know lol, I haven't been reading anything about alternate routes, I wasn't aware of it. Was avoiding spoilers in here and then finished it and stopped checking the thread I guess.

Much like Undertale, as I understand it, there's at least three:

-Kill Everyone
    -Spare Everyone
    -Not committing to either

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    There's two that I know of.
    There's the normal route, and then there's the other route where, after getting Noelle, you have her defeat every enemy you can with her ice spell, get two otherwise unobtainable rings to make her stronger, and use a spell called snowgrave on Berdly.

cB557 on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Besides the majorly different route that cB557 mentioned, there's a lot of different dialogue stuff depending on how much fighting you do in chapter 1 and how much you recruit in chapter 2. It's really unclear how much of that is really going to matter in the end. It might?

EDIT: Actually there's one somewhat significant change that's not as extreme as an alternate route.
    Fighting Berdly can result in him injuring himself in the final fight, which persists outside of the dark world. So I guess that would be a relevant difference if he makes many future appearances.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    The store pages' feature lists say this on them:
    y27jgceoi8tw.png
    I'm not sure how to interpret that.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    There's the normal route, and then there's the other route where, after getting Noelle, you have her defeat every enemy you can with her ice spell, get two otherwise unobtainable rings to make her stronger, and use a spell called snowgrave on Berdly.

Huh, that's interesting. Chapter 1 is more cut and dry, I'm guessing? Spare VS No Mercy?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Huh, that's interesting. Chapter 1 is more cut and dry, I'm guessing? Spare VS No Mercy?
    Chapter 1 basically just has one route.
    The end sequence of the dark world is a bit different in chapter 1 if you defeat a lot of enemies, but since defeating enemies in Deltarune doesn't actually kill them it's not enough to split things into an alternate route.

cB557 on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The overall plot doesn't change based on a route like it did in undertale. The end of the game is the same at least
    Snowgrave as it is called, just makes Berdly uhhh, "dead" in the library after he is frozen in the dark world. Also the even in the hospital with Noelle's dad is slightly different and has extra dialogue when you leave the room. Outside of that since neither Susie or Ralsei know what happened, it all goes on as normal.

There isn't really anything in game you can do to miss out on the overall plot. Much like undertale a lot of stuff is inferred but not answered, especially since it isn't done yet. Between Ch1 and Ch2 though you can make some pretty educated guesses so far. But you need to talk to and search like everything to get the hints. Things like Kris' reaction to some things implying the character is resisting what the player is doing essentially spell out that we are taking over for Kris when the heart is there. The Heart seems to represent what WE do to Kris. And they have the ability to remove it to take back control. Most characters who knew them prior imply they changed a lot recently. Recently being when "we" took over.

Stuff like Asgore and Toriel's divorce was in Ch1 but it also 100% mirrors Undertale. It seems like a lot of character interaction in town mirrors Undertale even if it is adjusted for them to not be in the underground. Also it is all kind of developing over the post chapter dialogues which we only have two so far

I am kind of convinced the divorce of Asgore and Toriel is going to be a huge story point though. It seems like a lot of stuff that may or may not have to do with it illicit an indirect reaction from Kris. Also the fact there is no info on why it happened yet. Likely the oddest reaction is how if you drink the hot chocolate from the cafe that the barista says they used to share with Asriel as a kid, Kris' throat tenses up. Sort of a negative but not completely reaction to something implied to be a good memory. Makes me think maybe some memories of the past aren't quite good?

Also the very end essentially is supposed to be telling you "Kris is the Knight, they are making the dark worlds". That part no longer seems to be a mystery. The "why" is though. I am making an educated guess the why might have had something to do with the Divorce, Asriel, or both.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils
    There are also some scenes that make explicit the disconnect between what we do as Kris, and what Kris would do if their choices mattered right now.

In chapter 1, you can check out the piano in the hospital, and the receptionist will mention how Kris has played it in the past for them. When you inspect it, you just play a random noise, and the receptionist wonders what’s up. If you go back and do that again in chapter 2, Susie’s reaction says that Kris looks pissed off for some reason. The implication being that Kris can play piano, does it well, and likes it. But they can’t do it properly when we’re in control.

The end of the Spamton Neo side quest also has some choice dialogue. You get the option to have Kris say that they are or are not OK after what just happened. The former has Kris say it unconvincingly and hesitantly, and the latter has them just shouting that they aren’t OK. Which kinda suggests to me which answer is closer to what Kris actually wants to say. Susie also is confused as to why Kris did any of this in the first place.

Then there’s other small things. Like how you can incessantly hug Ralsei or the dummy, but then the meeting with Asgore suggests that Kris may not actually like hugging all that much. Or how something is weird about Kris visiting Rudy in the hospital; it’s not something that Noelle would expect from them.

Personally, I figure that the soul does, and always did, belong to Kris. And it’s just now that someone else is in control of it, and Kris by proxy. Kris removing the soul isn’t an alternate personality, but rather Kris taking back full control for a few moments.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Musings and speculations on the backstory of Hometown
    I think Dess - heavily implied to be short for December - is ground zero. Something terrible happened to her, and I think Asgore got the blame for it, hence why he was fired as a police officer and subsequent collapse of his family, and perhaps Alphys' hints that Mayor Holiday is trying to make do without police.

What happened? Too early to say. I don't think she's dead, otherwise there'd be a grave. I'm leaning towards missing or incapacitated, and good odds of it happening when the Holiday kids and Dreemurr kids were exploring.

Why is Asgore blamed? Well "failed to find/rescue/save her" would cover getting sacked, maybe even the failure of his marriage, but how Toriel reacts to the flowers in chapter one would be pretty unreasonable if that was the extent of it. In Undertale they're estranged for a very valid reason, and I think DR!Toriel believes they are as well. I think she and Mayor Holiday both believe he actively did a bad, rather than failed to do a good. This also lines up with Rudy saying the families aren't as close anymore.

What it doesn't line up with is Rudy still clearly feeling friendly towards Asgore. If I thought my friend did something terrible to my daughter, they wouldn't be my friend. So I think there's more to it than the seven coffins in UT!Asgore's basement. Either a valid reason for what he did at the time existed, or maybe he's been covering for someone, and Rudy knows.

Well who would he cover for? Given their odd behaviour and excessive fountain abuse, Kris is the obvious candidate, with still-somewhat-a-blank-slate Asriel the runner up. But Rudy's attitude wouldn't align with this. What reason would he have to go along with it? That could be the twist: The two dads are covering for Noelle. I like this take, because I think Asgore doing stuff for others to the point of self destruction is part of his character in Undertale, so it would make sense here as well.

If that is true, what did she do? Well it's actually pretty ambiguous so far whether monsters in Deltarune can do magic in the light world, but maybe she cast a spell she didn't know... Either that, or it's like in Final Fantasy 7 when Cloud got blamed for Tifa getting hurt on Mount Nibel as children. Maybe the dads drew the wrong conclusion and the kids couldn't give the story for whatever reason.

So yeah, a lot of spitballing, but I do think something as serious as the Buttercups happened. It may even be why Kris threw away their headband with the horns on it.

• Options
    I think Dess - heavily implied to be short for December - is ground zero. Something terrible happened to her, and I think Asgore got the blame for it, hence why he was fired as a police officer and subsequent collapse of his family, and perhaps Alphys' hints that Mayor Holiday is trying to make do without police.

What happened? Too early to say. I don't think she's dead, otherwise there'd be a grave. I'm leaning towards missing or incapacitated, and good odds of it happening when the Holiday kids and Dreemurr kids were exploring.

Why is Asgore blamed? Well "failed to find/rescue/save her" would cover getting sacked, maybe even the failure of his marriage, but how Toriel reacts to the flowers in chapter one would be pretty unreasonable if that was the extent of it. In Undertale they're estranged for a very valid reason, and I think DR!Toriel believes they are as well. I think she and Mayor Holiday both believe he actively did a bad, rather than failed to do a good. This also lines up with Rudy saying the families aren't as close anymore.

What it doesn't line up with is Rudy still clearly feeling friendly towards Asgore. If I thought my friend did something terrible to my daughter, they wouldn't be my friend. So I think there's more to it than the seven coffins in UT!Asgore's basement. Either a valid reason for what he did at the time existed, or maybe he's been covering for someone, and Rudy knows.

Well who would he cover for? Given their odd behaviour and excessive fountain abuse, Kris is the obvious candidate, with still-somewhat-a-blank-slate Asriel the runner up. But Rudy's attitude wouldn't align with this. What reason would he have to go along with it? That could be the twist: The two dads are covering for Noelle. I like this take, because I think Asgore doing stuff for others to the point of self destruction is part of his character in Undertale, so it would make sense here as well.

If that is true, what did she do? Well it's actually pretty ambiguous so far whether monsters in Deltarune can do magic in the light world, but maybe she cast a spell she didn't know... Either that, or it's like in Final Fantasy 7 when Cloud got blamed for Tifa getting hurt on Mount Nibel as children. Maybe the dads drew the wrong conclusion and the kids couldn't give the story for whatever reason.

So yeah, a lot of spitballing, but I do think something as serious as the Buttercups happened. It may even be why Kris threw away their headband with the horns on it.
    Something about Dess, too. I think she's missing, specifically.

Noelle's room in Queen's mansion, like all the other Lightners' rooms, is furnished based on her internet search history. One of the furnishings is a calendar, in which every month is the last month, and every day is the 25th. So, December 25th; Christmas. Christmas is definitely A Thing, or at least it is in Undertale (and given Noelle's whole deal, likely in Deltarune). But I've got a feeling even Noelle wouldn't have been doing quite that many searches for Christmas day. But what if she's been searching for mentions of "December Holiday", and getting results telling her that the holiday in December is Christmas, on the 25th?

If Dess has gone missing, specifically, that would I think definitely be a reason why Noelle might be periodically searching for her name, for any mentions or findings related to her sister.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »

Something about Dess, too. I think she's missing, specifically.

Noelle's room in Queen's mansion, like all the other Lightners' rooms, is furnished based on her internet search history. One of the furnishings is a calendar, in which every month is the last month, and every day is the 25th. So, December 25th; Christmas. Christmas is definitely A Thing, or at least it is in Undertale (and given Noelle's whole deal, likely in Deltarune). But I've got a feeling even Noelle wouldn't have been doing quite that many searches for Christmas day. But what if she's been searching for mentions of "December Holiday", and getting results telling her that the holiday in December is Christmas, on the 25th?

If Dess has gone missing, specifically, that would I think definitely be a reason why Noelle might be periodically searching for her name, for any mentions or findings related to her sister.
    Yeah, Missing is more likely, though maybe if my broader speculations about what happened are true Noelle has blotted it out from her head. It would also explain why Rudy really wants to get better, beyond the whole dying sucks thing.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils
    There are also some scenes that make explicit the disconnect between what we do as Kris, and what Kris would do if their choices mattered right now.

In chapter 1, you can check out the piano in the hospital, and the receptionist will mention how Kris has played it in the past for them. When you inspect it, you just play a random noise, and the receptionist wonders what’s up. If you go back and do that again in chapter 2, Susie’s reaction says that Kris looks pissed off for some reason. The implication being that Kris can play piano, does it well, and likes it. But they can’t do it properly when we’re in control.

The end of the Spamton Neo side quest also has some choice dialogue. You get the option to have Kris say that they are or are not OK after what just happened. The former has Kris say it unconvincingly and hesitantly, and the latter has them just shouting that they aren’t OK. Which kinda suggests to me which answer is closer to what Kris actually wants to say. Susie also is confused as to why Kris did any of this in the first place.

Then there’s other small things. Like how you can incessantly hug Ralsei or the dummy, but then the meeting with Asgore suggests that Kris may not actually like hugging all that much. Or how something is weird about Kris visiting Rudy in the hospital; it’s not something that Noelle would expect from them.

Personally, I figure that the soul does, and always did, belong to Kris. And it’s just now that someone else is in control of it, and Kris by proxy. Kris removing the soul isn’t an alternate personality, but rather Kris taking back full control for a few moments.
    Personally, after seeing the ending to chapter 2, I don't really think that the ripping out the heart is Kris taking back control himself. Kris, by all accounts, seems to be a prankster and kind of mean, but also not actually bad in any way. In fact, whenever you force him to do bad stuff, you can see the flavor text fight you. I didn't get the impression that they're the kind of kid that would slash off all of their mom's tires and force her into a Dark World.

Basically, I have a powerful feeling that there's something ELSE here. That Kris got into the closed place at the bottom of the town, and something happened, and he was not in control anymore, and whatever it is is involved with these fountains and such.

I am wondering if Kris, here, is basically being a battleground between two separate forces. One being the player, and the other being whatever the fuck was in there (which might be related to whatever touched Spamton and such?).

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils

Personally, after seeing the ending to chapter 2, I don't really think that the ripping out the heart is Kris taking back control himself. Kris, by all accounts, seems to be a prankster and kind of mean, but also not actually bad in any way. In fact, whenever you force him to do bad stuff, you can see the flavor text fight you. I didn't get the impression that they're the kind of kid that would slash off all of their mom's tires and force her into a Dark World.

Basically, I have a powerful feeling that there's something ELSE here. That Kris got into the closed place at the bottom of the town, and something happened, and he was not in control anymore, and whatever it is is involved with these fountains and such.

I am wondering if Kris, here, is basically being a battleground between two separate forces. One being the player, and the other being whatever the fuck was in there (which might be related to whatever touched Spamton and such?).
    I think there's still the possibility that this is Kris, and they're taking desperate, foolish actions to try and free themself from the influence on their Soul. Maybe seeing if there's some magic or power they can exploit to get rid of us in one of these dark worlds, or trying to find more Shadow Crystals (depending on whether they've done the bonus stuff). It's not exactly a good situation Kris is in, so I wouldn't put it past them to take some extreme measures to seek an escape.

But I agree that there being a third party is entirely possible here. It could be that the Knight isn't Kris, but is with Kris

• Options
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils

A post I made a few weeks ago has some relevance to this so I'm just gonna quote it.
    I've been thinking about Kris tearing out their soul. It kinda seems like they can do it at will, and they always put their soul back in after they've done whatever they were gonna do. We've been figuring they were unwillingly possessed by us or something, but I wonder if this setup is what they want?

From chapter 2 it seems like Deltarune is gonna be talking about escapism. I wonder if this might be a sort of escapism for Kris? A way to make friends and go on adventures with them, but without having to really confront the mortifying ordeal of being known, since they're in the passenger seat for most of it.

Would be a fitting motive for the player character, since that's kinda why we play these games too.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils

I think there's still the possibility that this is Kris, and they're taking desperate, foolish actions to try and free themself from the influence on their Soul. Maybe seeing if there's some magic or power they can exploit to get rid of us in one of these dark worlds, or trying to find more Shadow Crystals (depending on whether they've done the bonus stuff). It's not exactly a good situation Kris is in, so I wouldn't put it past them to take some extreme measures to seek an escape.

But I agree that there being a third party is entirely possible here. It could be that the Knight isn't Kris, but is with Kris
    Ralsei's prophecy states that the end goal is to banish the Angel's Heaven. From Undertale, we can take a pretty good guess at what an Angel is in this game, and what they're capable of doing to the world. Trying to undo that is a perfectly reasonable motive for Kris to have.

It may be that Kris is creating the dark fountains to try to disrupt the Angel's reality, and Ralsei is semi-derailing his plan by exploiting it to build an army for him instead.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils

A post I made a few weeks ago has some relevance to this so I'm just gonna quote it.
    I've been thinking about Kris tearing out their soul. It kinda seems like they can do it at will, and they always put their soul back in after they've done whatever they were gonna do. We've been figuring they were unwillingly possessed by us or something, but I wonder if this setup is what they want?

From chapter 2 it seems like Deltarune is gonna be talking about escapism. I wonder if this might be a sort of escapism for Kris? A way to make friends and go on adventures with them, but without having to really confront the mortifying ordeal of being known, since they're in the passenger seat for most of it.

Would be a fitting motive for the player character, since that's kinda why we play these games too.
    iie5ihdr9tox.png

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    So uh, apparently the secret boss area has a lock that can't be opened, and I went backtracking, and found an area in the city...
    With a tunnel of dogs? Is that related? I don't think I can go back to it, either... it was basically instant game over, then it was sealed off.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So uh, apparently the secret boss area has a lock that can't be opened, and I went backtracking, and found an area in the city...
    With a tunnel of dogs? Is that related? I don't think I can go back to it, either... it was basically instant game over, then it was sealed off.
    It is not related.

• Options

Re: secret boss locations.

You may recall that the character said
    That he'd be waiting for you in the "trash zone closed for repairs"

• Options
    edited October 2021
    jothki wrote: »
    Chapter 1 and 2 spoils

Ralsei's prophecy states that the end goal is to banish the Angel's Heaven. From Undertale, we can take a pretty good guess at what an Angel is in this game, and what they're capable of doing to the world. Trying to undo that is a perfectly reasonable motive for Kris to have.

It may be that Kris is creating the dark fountains to try to disrupt the Angel's reality, and Ralsei is semi-derailing his plan by exploiting it to build an army for him instead.
    The funny thing is that Undertale is ambiguous as to who or what the angel of the prophecy is.

[Character name] is one option. They have seen the surface. And through our choices, is capable of fulfilling the prophecy by using Frisk to kill everyone.

Asriel is another. Again, Asriel has seen the surface. He becomes a crazy-powerful angel-looking thing in one ending, and he's capable of freeing all the Monsters by destroying the barrier.

Or maybe the Angel is just us, in either ending. [Character Name] is ultimately a stand-in for our own influence on the game's story, and we've seen the outside, more than anyone in the game can.

And any of those could give an answer for what the angel's heaven is. Particularly if Asriel is, somehow, the one from Undertale. Or maybe the angel's heaven is just, another story in this world, for us to play through. I know it's the most I could've asked for for this story.

And then again, the prophecy in Undertale isn't even the original meaning of the Delta Rune. The monsters in that game have no idea what the symbol originally represented. Is the Angel's Heaven even related at all to the angel of that prophecy?

Enlong on
  • Options
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm annoyed because I was planning on doing something like that! (But I have no free time so I probably would never have gotten around to it...)

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    It's got Worthikids energy to it, feeling puppet/stop motion animated but is probably in Blender or similar.

• Options
    Got to the secret boss, and got clocked, but hey,
    I made it halfway through before realizing it was a shmup fight!

Bring it, Toby, I've 1cc'd Touhou IN.
    (as Marisa)
    ((using lots of lives))

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    A thought I just had about magic:
    If my suspicion about the Angel altering reality is correct, and if magic is based on using the power of one's soul to alter reality on a smaller scale, then the reason that monsters can't use magic in the outside world could be that the Angel's influence is overpowering any changes that monsters could attempt to make. Magic does work in the Dark Worlds because they exist outside of the Angel's control.

• Options
  • Options
    Finished the secret boss of Chapter 2.
    A LOT easier than Jevil, especially if you know how to play offensive shmups. Beat him on my first try once I realized I had firepower. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A LOT easier than Jevil, especially if you know how to play offensive shmups. Beat him on my first try once I realized I had firepower. :lol:
    Okay but did you die to the real secret boss
    the teacups?

• Options
    Okay but did you die to the real secret boss
    the teacups?

Twice. Doesn't count!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Heh, I'm watching WoolieVersus's LP of Chapter 2, he just did the secret boss.
    He took Susie's move being called "ultimate healing" at face value and hadn't used it until this fight, so he used it hoping it'd get him out of a pretty bad situation.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    aaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    In last 2 weeks, I played for the first time and finished both currently released chapters of Deltaune.

They were excellent. Truly, truly excellent. It is pretty much my GOTY 2021 because games that are able to make me FEEL feelings are becoming increasingly rare with each passing year, and here Toby Fox managed to do so again. The story is really intriguing and I cannot wait to see what happens next.

And, obviously, soundtrack is amazing. Both Field of Hopes and Dreams and Cyber World are 10/10.

• Options
    Queenie is an absolute delight

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Toby brought back something comparable to the genocide route? :D

https://youtu.be/YG6DifUtPvs

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    I think the current guess I'm going with for what's happening at the very end is one I saw in a youtube comment of all places.
    In both chapter 1 and 2, talking to Undyne causes Kris to tell her about the dark world and that it could be dangerous, and she just laughs it off as Kris just trying to pull a prank. Kris is trying to lure Undyne into a dark world to prove to her that they're real.

• Options
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Speaking about this guy being a treasure:

This is really impressive.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah I absolutely love his voiceovers for spamton. If there could be that quality for all characters I would actually be mildly interested in a fanvoiced deal.

For now though, at least spamton has a cannon voice in my heart