Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

1777880828399

Posts

  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Checked out Baraduls Hellfire videos.
    Two stand out.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Nobody
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Baradul also seems to have found a corsair build that's actually really good.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I dropped a couple times last night. Was almost going to call it after getting a few crap games in a row. Then I dropped in my 3 RAC Shadowhawk and magic happened.

    The enemy team was heavy. Like 8 Assaults heavy. Which was good because any medium or light that sneaks up behind me can end my reign of terror pretty quick. My team took up pretty good positions at the top of a hill on tourmaline and waited for contact. I jumped up the crystals just a bit so I could get the first hits.

    It wasn't long before a parade of Assaults heads began bobbing along the bottom of the valley. I spun up the buzzsaws and chewed through 6000 rounds of ammo in about 3 minutes. Each Assault in series panicked as their cockpit was slammed by hundreds of shots. My team opened fire as well and kept the rest of the team busy while I emptied ton after ton of rounds. About 3 kills in, the enemy team gave up and rushed out of the killbox in any direction they could see through the hail of bullets. We advanced into the valley after them, chewing through rear armor and picking off anyone who turned around to fight.

    Cleared 1000 damage and got 5 or 6 kills. I didn't really see because I was trying to remember how to take a screenshot and by the time I figured out that they weren't saving to the directory, it had kicked me out of the match.

    From the sound of voice chat, my team couldn't believe it either, so you'll just have to take my word for it. And to think, I was just about to give up and switch to UAC2's.

    NobodyIoloNipsBetsuniGnome-InterruptusH3KnucklesIanatorHefflingstopgap
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Its genuinely hard to do bad in the 3rac2 Shadowhawk. Running that into a double lance of assaults is the dream.

  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

    Did you ever try any mods? JK Variants + Adjusted Mech Assembly are huge fun for a new campaign. Lots of enemy mechs with genuinely strange load-outs and thus lots more variety to fuel the salvage Pokémon meta-game.

    TeeMan
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    htm wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

    Did you ever try any mods? JK Variants + Adjusted Mech Assembly are huge fun for a new campaign. Lots of enemy mechs with genuinely strange load-outs and thus lots more variety to fuel the salvage Pokémon meta-game.

    And the Adjusted Mech Assembly mod is almost necessary when adding a bunch of variants like with JK. By default building a mech from salvage is based on specific variant not chassis, so adding a bunch of variants makes it much more difficult to actually complete a mech. It's not in the description, but that mod changes salvage to build a variant based on the percentage of parts you have of that variant. E.g. if you are set for 3 parts per mech, having 1 part of an HBK-4G and 2 parts of an HBK-4P will build you a -4P variant. If all 3 parts are different the outcome is random. The down side is this actually makes getting mechs even easier than the base game, but you're less likely to get a specific variant you may want. I'd recommend bumping the parts per mech up to compensate.

    SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    htm
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 29
    Any recommendations for a heavy/assault mech in MWO for someone still getting their feet wet? Got 10Mil C-Bills to burn, and while my matches in my HBK-4SP have been quite informative, I'm barely scratching the damage challenge and want to try to get as deep into it over the weekend as possible.

    Willing to trade meta for something a little off-base but still effective; I kinda enjoy not running into 4SPs that often (well, at all, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.)

    P.S. Yes, I am despicable enough to do LRMing.

    Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a heavy/assault mech in MWO for someone still getting their feet wet? Got 10Mil C-Bills to burn, and while my matches in my HBK-4SP have been quite informative, I'm barely scratching the damage challenge and want to try to get as deep into it over the weekend as possible.

    Willing to trade meta for something a little off-base but still effective; I kinda enjoy not running into 4SPs that often (well, at all, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.)

    P.S. Yes, I am despicable enough to do LRMing.

    Fafnir is a premier mech for assault. Probably the best IS one, if you get the variant with ECM. Blood Asp is also extremely good.

    I'm kinda garbo with heavies but a Timberwolf is always a solid investment given how many things you can build it for.

    The damage challenge is extremely high.

  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a heavy/assault mech in MWO for someone still getting their feet wet? Got 10Mil C-Bills to burn, and while my matches in my HBK-4SP have been quite informative, I'm barely scratching the damage challenge and want to try to get as deep into it over the weekend as possible.

    Willing to trade meta for something a little off-base but still effective; I kinda enjoy not running into 4SPs that often (well, at all, which I'm not sure is a good or bad thing.)

    P.S. Yes, I am despicable enough to do LRMing.

    LRMing Assaults are usually the Supernova I believe. But my new Assault favorite is the 4LB10X ECM Fafnir. You can also convert it into a 2 Heavy Gauss one as well.

    My go-to Assaults are both Heroes though. Cyclops Sleipnir and Dire Wolf Ultraviolet. I do enjoy my 2 Heavy Gauss Mauler for the laughs and my ECM Stalker with MRMs and MLs.

    I haven't run my Heavies in a while, but I do enjoy my 2RAC5 Catapult even though people say they are not good. I should go and upgrade my Heavies one of these days.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    General suggestion for baby's first heavy is the Hellbringer with ECM, two ER large lasers and 5 or 6 ER mediums.

    If you go with a Timber Wolf, get a variant that has the energy hardpoint in the CT.

    For IS mechs it's hard to go wrong with a Warhammer. My first one was a 6D laser vomit, but I'd suggest a 6R with dual Gauss and 4 ER mediums.

    For assaults I can't disagree on the Fafnir, dual heavy gauss makes bad men go away, or you can go quad LBX 10 and clean up on mechs that dare to lose their armor.

  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    So, I'm gonna break this down and add the caveat that I'm really out of touch with any so-called meta.

    Heavy (IS):
    -Marauder (you can have either ballistic+energy, missiles+energy)
    -Thanatos could be interesting (ECM? check. stealth armor? check. Pair of shoulder-mounted ballistic mounts? check)
    -Grasshopper (an oldie but a goodie...less good if you really must have missiles)

    Assault (IS):
    -Mauler (-1P, -2P, or MX90 for a good mix and placement of hardpoints. Can do DHGR if you want, can do missiles)
    -Victor (dakka-fist is awesome-fist...sure, you can have missiles...but dakka-fist!)
    -King Crab (can do the dakka, can do the missiles, can do the lazors...no matter what, you are crab-people and can give the enemy team the clamps)

    Heavy (Clan):
    -Hellbringer (ECM, good hardpoint layout, and decent speed for a heavy...flexibility to change hardpoints due to being an omnimech)
    -Nova Cat (if you want to have all the Clan missiles, you can look absolutely ridiculous...has flexibility to change hardpoints thanks to being an omnimech)
    rqemqlhqjt1u.jpg
    -Timberwolf is okay
    -but I prefer the Ebon Jaguar

    Assault (Clan):
    -Blood Asp (these are my favorite Clan assaults)
    -Mad Cat Mk2 (the MCII-2 will give you 4 shoulder mounted missile racks (2 in each ST), a ballistic in each 'arm', and a couple of energy weapons for backup)
    -Marauder IIC (these are my favorite Clan assaults)
    -maybe the Highlander IIC (I haven't piloted one)
    (yes, I have two favorite Clan assault mechs)

    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Well, I'm freebirth scum, so I'm probably gonna stick to an IS mech for my next one (though the Blood Asp looks tempting being right at my max budget; I assume start with one of the ECM variants?)

    Fafnir's too fugly though. Probably would be the Warhammer or Marauder. Though hillhumping with a Thanatos 5S sounds like an upgrade to my current Hunchback 4SP style of play.

    Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Warhammers:

    WHM-6R

    Survivable, good alpha, good heat management, The Gauss mounts are relatively high, so you can easily peek and poke.

    WHM-6D

    Runs rather hot, but has a good alpha with no worries about ammo. You can get away with swapping in regular mediums until you skill it up a bit.

    Marauders:

    MAD-3R

    This is the one I'm currently using. It's a solid brawler with a great punch. Just make sure to protect the right side.

    MAD-3R

    Lead farmer variant. 3xRAC/2 = loads of fun for everyone. Major facetime build, but can be worth it.

  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Hey! You're running the same -3R build I use. Shotgun-bros for life!

    Here's the MAD-5D loadout that I've been trying out (it's not great...but it has potential):

    https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#1597c453_MAD-5D

    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
    Nobody
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    I found your IS Heavy for you.

    IS Heavy

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Bets, your link is broken. It's showing SRM4s and not SRM6es...

    :P

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • BetsuniBetsuni Insert Disk 4 and Press Any Key to Continue Registered User regular
    I like the extra speed over damage.

    It came to my attention while copying and pasting that build that I have been running that build with the armor levels of a 20 ton mech. Somehow one of the patches nerfed it and reset the armor levels to stock or something like that. What is funnier is that I managed a 500+ damage match with that armor amount. Makes me wonder how much more damage I could have done in previous matches.

    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Well, I ended up getting the MAD-3R...

    ...and like a crazy person, I'm sticking with the PPCs.

    Granted, it has largely to do with initially not having enough C-Bills left over to fully realize either of those builds after adding the endo-steel and DHS, though an OCD about taking advantage of the quirks didn't help.

    Anyway, after some more matches (and more lootbags) I could do the LBX build, but the 3xRAC/2 was absolute hilarity trying it out in the mechlab, so I might save for that instead. Though I think first order of business is going to be saving for a Blood Asp or MAD IIC.

    Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Betsuni
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Well, I ended up getting the MAD-3R...

    ...and like a crazy person, I'm sticking with the PPCs.

    Granted, it has largely to do with initially not having enough C-Bills left over to fully realize either of those builds after adding the endo-steel and DHS, though an OCD about taking advantage of the quirks didn't help.

    Anyway, after some more matches (and more lootbags) I could do the LBX build, but the 3xRAC/2 was absolute hilarity trying it out in the mechlab, so I might save for that instead. Though I think first order of business is going to be saving for a Blood Asp or MAD IIC.

    Now, you could go with RAC2s...

    or you could go with twin-RAC5s!

    EDIT - also, if you really want to stay loyal to the IS, you could wait for the Marauder II...

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Ended up picking up an HLF-A on sale as a brawly Clan heavy (LB-10X, 4 ASRM/6) I like the way it handles, and running it in the testing grounds it feels...good.

    Basically 3 more Clan mechs I want to pick up at this point. Scorch (failing that, a standard MAD-IIC), an Adder, and a Nova.

    Betsuni
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    On the MAD-3R I'm tripple RAC2 fo life. It's so good (and allows you to use a LE engine). Fast spin, faster boolits, good dakka.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Yeah, with the -3R, I used to run it with AC20+4 medium lasers and a STD300. But then I figured I should do something different with it since that's pretty much how I run my Bounty Hunter II (AC20+6 medium lasers, a JJ, and a STD300)...that's when I went twin-LB10X. With my -5M, though, I do something truly silly: twin-LGR+5 medium lasers.

    And speaking of the Hellfire, I'm not sure what I should do with my Void. I could make use of the UAC jam chance reduction quirk and go with an ultra-20...but I was also kinda thinking of the LB20X. Either way, 5 backup medium pulses would likely make up my armor peeling punch.

    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yeah, with the -3R, I used to run it with AC20+4 medium lasers and a STD300. But then I figured I should do something different with it since that's pretty much how I run my Bounty Hunter II (AC20+6 medium lasers, a JJ, and a STD300)...that's when I went twin-LB10X. With my -5M, though, I do something truly silly: twin-LGR+5 medium lasers.

    And speaking of the Hellfire, I'm not sure what I should do with my Void. I could make use of the UAC jam chance reduction quirk and go with an ultra-20...but I was also kinda thinking of the LB20X. Either way, 5 backup medium pulses would likely make up my armor peeling punch.

    5 pulses is too hot/heavy to combine with a UAC/LBX20. If you want pulses you'll have to downgrade to a UAC10 or LBX10.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yeah, with the -3R, I used to run it with AC20+4 medium lasers and a STD300. But then I figured I should do something different with it since that's pretty much how I run my Bounty Hunter II (AC20+6 medium lasers, a JJ, and a STD300)...that's when I went twin-LB10X. With my -5M, though, I do something truly silly: twin-LGR+5 medium lasers.

    And speaking of the Hellfire, I'm not sure what I should do with my Void. I could make use of the UAC jam chance reduction quirk and go with an ultra-20...but I was also kinda thinking of the LB20X. Either way, 5 backup medium pulses would likely make up my armor peeling punch.

    5 pulses is too hot/heavy to combine with a UAC/LBX20. If you want pulses you'll have to downgrade to a UAC10 or LBX10.

    Hrm...alternatively, could run pulses with either the 20s and build it for hit-and-run. Of course, that kinda negates the purpose of pulses and I'd probably be better off running heavy mediums.

    Ahh well...given how infrequent the ultra-20s jammed up in the testing grounds, I might give 5 ERMLs+ultra-20 a shot.

    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Yeah, with the -3R, I used to run it with AC20+4 medium lasers and a STD300. But then I figured I should do something different with it since that's pretty much how I run my Bounty Hunter II (AC20+6 medium lasers, a JJ, and a STD300)...that's when I went twin-LB10X. With my -5M, though, I do something truly silly: twin-LGR+5 medium lasers.

    And speaking of the Hellfire, I'm not sure what I should do with my Void. I could make use of the UAC jam chance reduction quirk and go with an ultra-20...but I was also kinda thinking of the LB20X. Either way, 5 backup medium pulses would likely make up my armor peeling punch.

    5 pulses is too hot/heavy to combine with a UAC/LBX20. If you want pulses you'll have to downgrade to a UAC10 or LBX10.

    Hrm...alternatively, could run pulses with either the 20s and build it for hit-and-run. Of course, that kinda negates the purpose of pulses and I'd probably be better off running heavy mediums.

    Ahh well...given how infrequent the ultra-20s jammed up in the testing grounds, I might give 5 ERMLs+ultra-20 a shot.

    Have you considered small pulses? Sure. They're short range (still, nowhere as short as IS smalls. 165m optimal before buffs is respectable), but they're hilariously effective in a push.
    HLF Void UAC20 brawl build (disclaimer: I haven't tried this build so it's pure theorycraft)

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    For Clans, I tend to prefer ER smalls over small pulses. But for the Void, I was kinda thinking it might be a good idea to have a little extra range so I'm not mostly useless when is the 300-400m range band (sure, I know the ultra20 has an optimal range of 360...but the burstiness of the weapon means outside of point-blank is pretty likely to pepper the damage around). To that end, I was thinking of this build: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#29dc6e9c_HLF-VO

    As soon as I take it out for a whirl, I'll report back on performance.

    Speaking of taking builds out for a spin...I figured I'd play a few matches and see how things shook out with a bunch of different mechs (or loadouts) that I usually don't see all that often. In order of appearance:

    Match 1 and 2: Marauder-5M with twin-Light Gauss and 5 medium lasers. The mech did okay, nothing stellar...sub-350 damage, no kills.
    Match 3: Loyalty Night Gyr with triple-LB10X and ECM. Totally lackluster...felt like the front CT got drilled out with barely a glance.
    Match 4: My dakka-fist Victor that I posted about above. Again, pretty lackluster...sub-300 damage, managed to steal a kill.
    Match 5: This glorious Highlander. Nearly 680 damage, 3 kills, 2 KMDD, 5 assists...armor took a pounding but was barely in the orange. I even got the last kill, so people had to listen to my old-timey swingin' rockabilly guitar twangin' mechmurder-horn.

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
    NobodyBetsuniGnome-Interruptus
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Match 5: This glorious Highlander. Nearly 680 damage, 3 kills, 2 KMDD, 5 assists...armor took a pounding but was barely in the orange. I even got the last kill, so people had to listen to my old-timey swingin' rockabilly guitar twangin' mechmurder-horn.

    Well, it *is* the Heavy Metal Highlander: Annoying people with loud music is kinda a requirement.

    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Is a mission glitching out on me?

    Its after the story Smithon mission, and its an escort. We took a point to get a convoy movie and escorted it to a short distance to await a dropship. An enemy dropship shows up, we wiped it out, and travelled to the same point the convoy was moving to. Instructions say to escape. But my whole lance, along with the convoy, just stood at the point in front of the allied dropship and nothing happens.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think there’s a Gauss Vomit build out there for the Void

  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is a mission glitching out on me?

    Its after the story Smithon mission, and its an escort. We took a point to get a convoy movie and escorted it to a short distance to await a dropship. An enemy dropship shows up, we wiped it out, and travelled to the same point the convoy was moving to. Instructions say to escape. But my whole lance, along with the convoy, just stood at the point in front of the allied dropship and nothing happens.

    The first dropship that arrives is just for the convoy, not you. If you're mechs are there, they might be getting in the way of all the vehicles entering the area (or it might be the area needs to be clear of your mechs, not sure if I ever had a mech in it when they extracted.)

    Your dropship shows up after, but like most missions, if the opfor is destroyed you'll extract automatically.

    steam_sig.png
    CantidoGnome-Interruptus
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    For Clans, I tend to prefer ER smalls over small pulses. But for the Void, I was kinda thinking it might be a good idea to have a little extra range so I'm not mostly useless when is the 300-400m range band (sure, I know the ultra20 has an optimal range of 360...but the burstiness of the weapon means outside of point-blank is pretty likely to pepper the damage around). To that end, I was thinking of this build: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#29dc6e9c_HLF-VO

    You want to move that ammo into the legs. The HLF isn't known for its sturdy sidetorsos so barely anyone aims for the legs.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    For Clans, I tend to prefer ER smalls over small pulses. But for the Void, I was kinda thinking it might be a good idea to have a little extra range so I'm not mostly useless when is the 300-400m range band (sure, I know the ultra20 has an optimal range of 360...but the burstiness of the weapon means outside of point-blank is pretty likely to pepper the damage around). To that end, I was thinking of this build: https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#29dc6e9c_HLF-VO

    You want to move that ammo into the legs. The HLF isn't known for its sturdy sidetorsos so barely anyone aims for the legs.

    Ehh...I'd rather toss it in the right arm first and keep the leg mounted heatsink (for those times I find myself fighting in the water...which is rarely outside of River City).
    Nobody wrote: »
    I think there’s a Gauss Vomit build out there for the Void

    Yes, yes there is. This was the first loadout that I tried out, and it was pretty disappointing. Unless you're running armlock, having that arm mounted gauss rifle totally messes with my aim. And I know there's a key you can press and hold to enable armlock on the fly, but just that little extra time making the shot viable tends to mean I can't get those sick flick shots out.

    EDIT - y'know...I'm an idiot. I totally blanked on a build that's already close to one I already run on my beloved Ebon Jaguar. Sure, it loses out on the TarCom and an extra heatsink...but it could work

    Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC/Steam: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum |
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is a mission glitching out on me?

    Its after the story Smithon mission, and its an escort. We took a point to get a convoy movie and escorted it to a short distance to await a dropship. An enemy dropship shows up, we wiped it out, and travelled to the same point the convoy was moving to. Instructions say to escape. But my whole lance, along with the convoy, just stood at the point in front of the allied dropship and nothing happens.

    The first dropship that arrives is just for the convoy, not you. If you're mechs are there, they might be getting in the way of all the vehicles entering the area (or it might be the area needs to be clear of your mechs, not sure if I ever had a mech in it when they extracted.)

    Your dropship shows up after, but like most missions, if the opfor is destroyed you'll extract automatically.

    If all the vehicles are in the target area (and the mission description in the upper, left hands side of the screen says 4/4 are in area), then yeah, that's weird.

    If it doesn't say that, and one vehicle is sitting outside the area not moving: The vehicle AI has some sort of logic that won't move the vehicle if isn't near one of your mechs. So if one vehicle got left behind while you were blowing up the OpFor, it might just be sitting there waiting for an escort. Send a mech back to 'look' at it, and it'll get the point and scoot along to catch up with the convoy.

    CantidoTeeManGnome-Interruptus
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Is a mission glitching out on me?

    Its after the story Smithon mission, and its an escort. We took a point to get a convoy movie and escorted it to a short distance to await a dropship. An enemy dropship shows up, we wiped it out, and travelled to the same point the convoy was moving to. Instructions say to escape. But my whole lance, along with the convoy, just stood at the point in front of the allied dropship and nothing happens.

    The first dropship that arrives is just for the convoy, not you. If you're mechs are there, they might be getting in the way of all the vehicles entering the area (or it might be the area needs to be clear of your mechs, not sure if I ever had a mech in it when they extracted.)

    Your dropship shows up after, but like most missions, if the opfor is destroyed you'll extract automatically.

    If all the vehicles are in the target area (and the mission description in the upper, left hands side of the screen says 4/4 are in area), then yeah, that's weird.

    If it doesn't say that, and one vehicle is sitting outside the area not moving: The vehicle AI has some sort of logic that won't move the vehicle if isn't near one of your mechs. So if one vehicle got left behind while you were blowing up the OpFor, it might just be sitting there waiting for an escort. Send a mech back to 'look' at it, and it'll get the point and scoot along to catch up with the convoy.

    Yeah, the completion of the objective was hovering at 3/4. I must have gotten overzealous trying to get ahead of the trucks so that the mechs draw the aggro first.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Iolo
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound Registered User regular
    BATTLETECH

    I just spent about 2 hours "balancing" and tweaking slightly the various weight levels, heat levels, prices, rarity levels and etc of certain things during the main campaign, as well as altering slightly the amount of ammunition in some of the ammunition boxes, and making previously unavailable mechs appear naturally over the course of the game.

    And then I realized I forgot to back up the other files and I ran into an issue where I probably just accidentally deleted a single thing somewhere along the way, so I had to re-verify files so it's all gone now like I didn't do any of that at all (and all my fault, since I forgot to back things up as I went and check as I went along) so ISN'T LIFE FUNNY HAHA GREAT

    Are you the magic man?
    AridholGnome-Interruptus
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    BATTLETECH

    I just spent about 2 hours "balancing" and tweaking slightly the various weight levels, heat levels, prices, rarity levels and etc of certain things during the main campaign, as well as altering slightly the amount of ammunition in some of the ammunition boxes, and making previously unavailable mechs appear naturally over the course of the game.

    And then I realized I forgot to back up the other files and I ran into an issue where I probably just accidentally deleted a single thing somewhere along the way, so I had to re-verify files so it's all gone now like I didn't do any of that at all (and all my fault, since I forgot to back things up as I went and check as I went along) so ISN'T LIFE FUNNY HAHA GREAT

    :bro:

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    FreiPhoenix-DhtmIoloBetsuniIanatorGlalGnome-Interruptus
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited March 30
    Frei wrote: »
    BATTLETECH

    I just spent about 2 hours "balancing" and tweaking slightly the various weight levels, heat levels, prices, rarity levels and etc of certain things during the main campaign, as well as altering slightly the amount of ammunition in some of the ammunition boxes, and making previously unavailable mechs appear naturally over the course of the game.

    And then I realized I forgot to back up the other files and I ran into an issue where I probably just accidentally deleted a single thing somewhere along the way, so I had to re-verify files so it's all gone now like I didn't do any of that at all (and all my fault, since I forgot to back things up as I went and check as I went along) so ISN'T LIFE FUNNY HAHA GREAT

    It's a bit late for you now, but if you're tweaking various files in the BattleTech_Data directory, it's pretty easy to put your changes into a ModTek mod rather than directly editing the base game files. You just build a mod with parallel directory structure to the file you want to change, make your own changed version of that file, and ModTek will load your version as an override of the original.

    htm on
    H3KnucklesFrei
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Also, now is a good time to practice good coding and put your changes into version control. I happen to like Mercurial because it's logical and makes sense (as opposed to Git, which won the popularity war), but for this sort thing of even CVS would suffice.

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
    htm
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 31
    htm wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    BATTLETECH

    I just spent about 2 hours "balancing" and tweaking slightly the various weight levels, heat levels, prices, rarity levels and etc of certain things during the main campaign, as well as altering slightly the amount of ammunition in some of the ammunition boxes, and making previously unavailable mechs appear naturally over the course of the game.

    And then I realized I forgot to back up the other files and I ran into an issue where I probably just accidentally deleted a single thing somewhere along the way, so I had to re-verify files so it's all gone now like I didn't do any of that at all (and all my fault, since I forgot to back things up as I went and check as I went along) so ISN'T LIFE FUNNY HAHA GREAT

    It's a bit late for you now, but if you're tweaking various files in the BattleTech_Data directory, it's pretty easy to put your changes into a ModTek mod rather than directly editing the base game files. You just build a mod with parallel directory structure to the file you want to change, make your own changed version of that file, and ModTek will load your version as an override of the original.

    Also, ModTek can do patching so you only need to include the values that you change. This is the recommended approach for altering existing files in StreamingAssets. This helps avoid conflicts with other mods, it's easier to know what you altered, and means the rest of the file can continue to be updated automatically as versions change. And stuff in the Mods folder never gets overwritten during updates. For example, if you wanted to just change the range of the stock large laser, create the following file:

    <steam install>\BATTLETECH\Mods\<mymodname>\StreamingAssets\data\weapon\Weapon_Laser_LargeLaser_0-STOCK.json

    And in that file, you only need to include the items being changed:
    {
        "MinRange" : 0,
        "MaxRange" : 600,
        "RangeSplit" : [
            150,
            300,
            450
        ]
    }
    

    But if you are creating a whole new weapon, you'll still need the entire file contents and put the json file in <steam install>\BATTLETECH\Mods\<mymodname>\weapon. Then you need to specify that directory in your mod.json:
    "Manifest": [
    		{ "Type": "WeaponDef", "Path": "weapon", "AddToDB": false },
        ]
    

    AddToDB is if you want your new items/mechs to be used by enemy lances, assuming you create new variants that include your new weapons.

    SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Dark_SidehtmH3KnucklesIolo
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    Orca wrote: »
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

    Did you ever try any mods? JK Variants + Adjusted Mech Assembly are huge fun for a new campaign. Lots of enemy mechs with genuinely strange load-outs and thus lots more variety to fuel the salvage Pokémon meta-game.

    Started adding mods again; do those mods work with an existing campaign or would I need to restart?

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
Sign In or Register to comment.