As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That TV Thread Ain't Right

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm watching a bunch of reviews of Buffy episodes and I didn't appreciate at the time what a line of bullshit killing
    Tara
    was.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm watching a bunch of reviews of Buffy episodes and I didn't appreciate at the time what a line of bullshit killing
    Tara
    was.

That's because they basically fridged her.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I think it's the landmark "Bury Your Gays" trope for a lot of people, myself included.

Now, years later, the Magicians introduce a gay character as a love interest to a main gay character then murder the former to provide growth for the latter after two episodes.

I don't think that's growth.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I just watched that Always Sunny finale and yeah I'm crying

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Outlander S4E2

I can’t say I didn’t see that all coming a mile away, but holy shit, that was rough.

Like ... fuck, I knew exactly what they were going to do and then they did it, and fuck everything forever.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Outlander S4E2

I can’t say I didn’t see that all coming a mile away, but holy shit, that was rough.

Like ... fuck, I knew exactly what they were going to do and then they did it, and fuck everything forever.

This statement applies to like 90% of Outlander episodes.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Is he always sunny thing a season finale or series finale

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Season, I believe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Season, I believe

Season. They already have another one confirmed

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I think it's the landmark "Bury Your Gays" trope for a lot of people, myself included.

Now, years later, the Magicians introduce a gay character as a love interest to a main gay character then murder the former to provide growth for the latter after two episodes.

This still happens frustratingly often in a lot of shows, I agree. The CW-made DC shows aren't fantastic quality overall but at least they seem quite determined to expand and maintain their LGBT casts.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

This still happens frustratingly often in a lot of shows, I agree. The CW-made DC shows aren't fantastic quality overall but at least they seem quite determined to expand and maintain their LGBT casts.

You definitely have to give the CW credit for having two super hero shows with LGBT leads.

Soon to be three.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

You definitely have to give the CW credit for having two super hero shows with LGBT leads.

Soon to be three.

Oh huh, which other CW show has a queer lead at the moment? I kind of fell off the CW shows a while ago so I only know of Sara in LoT.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

Soon to be three.

Oh huh, which other CW show has a queer lead at the moment? I kind of fell off the CW shows a while ago so I only know of Sara in LoT.

The 100.

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Soon to be three.

The 100.

Oh sorry, I meant the superhero shows minor incident was talking about

Soon to be three.

The 100.

Oh sorry, I meant the superhero shows minor incident was talking about

I don't know if you'd count Alex Danvers as a lead on Supergirl, but if so, that's another show.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Soon to be three.

The 100.

The 100 has a bisexual lead character. It also has one of the more famous examples of the "bury your gays" trope, so it's not...necessarily a great example

trying very hard not to get started on the third season of the 100 yet again

I thought we all made an unspoken agreement to never discuss the third season of The 100.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I would! That show is as much about Alex as it is about Kara.

sig.gif

Soon to be three.

I was thinking of The Ray (the animated show) and Legends of Tomorrow, but yeah, I'd count Alex on Supergirl, too.

Soon to be three.

I was thinking of The Ray (the animated show) and Legends of Tomorrow, but yeah, I'd count Alex on Supergirl, too.
    Might as well count Constantine too, if we're including animated stuff.

sig.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I thought we all made an unspoken agreement to never discuss the third season of The 100.

It failed with a focus and intensity normally seen in successes, I'll say that.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah but that was in like, season two

Season three was a failure afterthought

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    What? No, season 2 had Fallout Mayor Arlo Givens, it was very good.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    hulu has married with children now

i feel like i need to marathon this

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    hulu has married with children now

i feel like i need to marathon this

Married with children was a weird freakin show.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Remember news stations ran stories about how it was too raunchy for TV.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    About 3/4 of the way through Bodyguard. Tense.

Thinking it over, it reminds me most of some of the earlier seasons of Spooks, before they got silly. And not just because Keeley Hawes is in it.
    ... man, there was a show that should have ended around season five. Super good up until then, though.

What? No, season 2 had Fallout Mayor Arlo Givens, it was very good.
    Yeah, S3 went out of it's way to insert really shitty plotlines combined with really shitty character work.

City of Light was neat, but almost literally everything else was so, so bad.

sig.gif
    Unfortunately, it looks like season five of Steven Universe isn't on Hulu, so I'm gonna hit a wall on this

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Unfortunately, it looks like season five of Steven Universe isn't on Hulu, so I'm gonna hit a wall on this

Oh it wont be up for a year or so yet as it technically hasn't finished

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    From what I can tell, they're done with season five and season six is what's coming next?

Anyways, I finished four seasons of Steven Universe, and here are some very brief thoughts: it's very good. I like that characters are allowed to get mad at each other, and also continue to be mad at each other for longer than a single episode before they work through it. I like that their instinct with a lot of the antagonists is to bring them into the fold, rather than just have them as obstacles to overcome

Maybe it's a function of having been spoiled on some of the twists of the show by various means, but the big overarching plot with the diamonds has rarely hit as hard for me as I think it's meant to. I care about what Rose meant to everyone, and what her loss means to everyone, more than I care about the intricacies of the gem war, I think, although it's a little difficult to separate the two. I think it's just...there's a bit of mystery built in, and it's been less compelling than seeing the characters and their relationships grow over time.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The only thing I really know about Steven Universe is Tom Scharpling sings about his van, so it has my approval

6F32U1X.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    About 3/4 of the way through Bodyguard. Tense.

Thinking it over, it reminds me most of some of the earlier seasons of Spooks, before they got silly. And not just because Keeley Hawes is in it.
    ... man, there was a show that should have ended around season five. Super good up until then, though.

i'm only a couple eps into the bodyguard (and haven't seen spooks for the comparison point) but one of my own immediate comparisons was that it felt like it took place in the sicario universe

the bodyguard: a sicario story

this is all to say jesus, yes, it is very intense

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My wife and I just finished episode 3 of Bodyguard and all we do now is talk about what the hell is going on in Bodyguard.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i've now seen my mistake and would like to apologize for calling it "the" bodyguard like a friggin idiot

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    From what I can tell, they're done with season five and season six is what's coming next?

Anyways, I finished four seasons of Steven Universe, and here are some very brief thoughts: it's very good. I like that characters are allowed to get mad at each other, and also continue to be mad at each other for longer than a single episode before they work through it. I like that their instinct with a lot of the antagonists is to bring them into the fold, rather than just have them as obstacles to overcome

Maybe it's a function of having been spoiled on some of the twists of the show by various means, but the big overarching plot with the diamonds has rarely hit as hard for me as I think it's meant to. I care about what Rose meant to everyone, and what her loss means to everyone, more than I care about the intricacies of the gem war, I think, although it's a little difficult to separate the two. I think it's just...there's a bit of mystery built in, and it's been less compelling than seeing the characters and their relationships grow over time.

Theres like 2 episodes of season 5 left iirc and god only knows when we'll get em. The movie is coming too I assume in may.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The only thing I really know about Steven Universe is Tom Scharpling sings about his van, so it has my approval

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVBwYu7xdw

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Apparently the latest episode of Legends of Tomorrow is called "Wet Hot American Bummer," which is definitely the closest the show has ever gotten to making me watch it

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Sorce wrote: »

Soon to be three.

Might as well count Constantine too, if we're including animated stuff.

Thunder on Black Lightning

This discussion has been closed.