As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That TV Thread Ain't Right

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't even want a grave at all

If you end up with one, that will be a grave mistake

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm constantly surprised at how much I like it, given I disliked the book so much

but I think that's partly down to the story being a lot more interesting when you don't have to view it from Quentin's PoV all the time, and partly because the show writers are at least 80x funnier than Lev Grossman.

Y'know in retrospect I should have realized those books were gonna leave me feeling unpleasant given the author is literally a gross man

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Its nice to be reminded that Conan O'Brien is a very smart guy.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't even want a grave at all

Always nice to find another proponent of death via an off-planet implosion incident.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    There was a running joke that my grandparents kept all of the deceased family in coffee cans in the closet.

I guess the punchline was that it wasn't a joke.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I absolutely want to die in such a way that no trace of a body can be recovered
    I want someone out there to suspect there's a chance I'm still alive, for years

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I believe I have gone into detail about how I want my body to be used after my death.

• Options
    what the hell happened to all of those coffee cans actually...

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i'm just not gonna die

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    what the hell happened to all of those coffee cans actually...

Tell me did you ever have coffee at your grandparents' house?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    there's a show on netflix called Tidelanders and it is....such a bad show with a hilarious premise about mermaids

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I happened to look up my first North American ancestor yesterday (knowing some basic facts from my dad it was surprisingly easy to find) and I read a short biography of him (he was apparently "almost killed by Iroquois" but lived to 63 and had 14 children) and I started to think okay how many generations, 14 children, which one of those is my ancestor, and realized there was no way I could bridge the gap between him and my great-grandfather (don't even know the name of my great-great grandfather)

all that to say that there are what, about 8 or so generations of people in my own bloodline I'll never hear about but without whom I would never have existed and they all had lives just as valid as my own and in 300 years if I have descendants and they want to look me up they'll have no idea where to even start and yet I'll be their great-great[...] grandfather. I barely know anything about the one that made the trip across the Atlantic and I would definitely not know even that much if he wasn't the one that made the trip. And that's just one branch of my family tree.

Anyway this whole rant was to say haha yeah we're all nothing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    We all came from dust and we will return to dust

Which is why I’m doing angel dust right now

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My sister was flipping out about what if she never has kids, what if nobody carries on the family memories etc
    and I'm like dude do you even know the name of either of your great-grandmothers? Even if you DO have kids you'll drop off the posterity radar in less than a century. Write a book if you want to be remembered.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My sister was flipping out about what if she never has kids, what if nobody carries on the family memories etc
    and I'm like dude do you even know the name of either of your great-grandmothers? Even if you DO have kids you'll drop off the posterity radar in less than a century. Write a book if you want to be remembered.

My dad literally went through an existential crisis when he realized neither my sister or I was gonna have kids

Like, he seriously freaked out and had to talk to his therapist about how scared he was that the family name was going to go away

I don't get why people are so weird about that shit

(then my sister had a kid, because of course)

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Could you completely cremate a body via reentry?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i have yelled at both of my siblings for not letting our accursed bloodline die when they had kids

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Family legacies are dumb anyway because they prioritize an arbitrary connection over all else, so you have people hanging onto terrible shit and, like, grudges of people long-dead because it's their legacy. Fuck that, I'd rather have my impact on the world be through all the different lives I touch and the various connections I make with people all over. I'd rather CHOOSE what things to leave the world in my name.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    My grandpa had 4 children and 10 grandchildren and now there are only two children that bear his name, both are mine and both also have their other grandpa's name. Only my brother and my sister have that name in our generation besides me. It's probable neither of them will have children that keep the name.

Names are just what you call a thing, they don't matter, what's important is that you love the people you share your life with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    (that being said my grandpa had plenty of siblings and I have a ton of distant relatives sharing my name, including a pretty famous wrestler/murderer).

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    My extended family really wants me to have kids since I'm really the last hope of continuing on the family name and what have you.

And well most of y'all have heard my dating stories.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    (that being said my grandpa had plenty of siblings and I have a ton of distant relatives sharing my name, including a pretty famous wrestler/murderer).

OH SHIT I NEVER PUT THAT TOGETHER

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I absolutely want to die in such a way that no trace of a body can be recovered
    I want someone out there to suspect there's a chance I'm still alive, for years

I think you can do this on purpose by just dropping whatever you're doing and walking into the woods until exposure takes your life

• Options

OH SHIT I NEVER PUT THAT TOGETHER

We're not even second or probably third cousins TO BE FAIR

but all Benoits definitely come from the one that landed in then-Ville Marie (Montreal) in 1658.

sig.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'm the last person who can pass on my great grandfather's name, which actually burdened me a fair bit when I was younger and cared about that sort of stuff.

• Options

Also a very popular line of balls

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Also a very popular line of balls

I wish

sig.gif
  • Options
    My extended family really wants me to have kids since I'm really the last hope of continuing on the family name and what have you.

if anyone was gonna have a surprise kid tho

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited January 2019

if anyone was gonna have a surprise kid tho

I just felt the dolly zoom onto my face.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad I have kids. Even if they are nightmares that never sleep on time.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Sorry, to be clear

I was not being anti kids

I was being anti "you're expected to have kids to preserve your legacy"

• Options

I feel that's the universal normal human parenting experience.

sig.gif
  • Options

Sorry, to be clear

I was not being anti kids

I was being anti "you're expected to have kids to preserve your legacy"

Oh, I agree with you. Nobody should HAVE to have kids. I mean, logically, I probably SHOULDN'T have had kids, given the shitty state the world is in (and is going to be in the future).

• Options
    I only want kids in so much that I want a continuing lineage of people to constantly make immortality miserable for @Rorshach Kringle

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I have a friend whose sister fucking screamed at him when he said he wasn’t going to have kids and man that is so far outside of my frame of reference for a thing to be mad about

• Options
    I have a lot of friends who want to "continue their legacy" through having a bunch of kids.

And... Why?

You aren't some noble king.

You don't need to raise a clan to war with your neighbors.

• Options
    I was at a funeral a few years back and one of my relatives walked up to me and said "We are losing family quicker than we are gaining them. Get to work." and then gestured dismissively at my crotch.

Family is fun like that.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I guess you could say my official stance on this issue is...

Let the past die. Kill it if you have to. That's the only way to become what you were meant to be.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well give it a couple decades

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    There was a running joke that my grandparents kept all of the deceased family in coffee cans in the closet.

I guess the punchline was that it wasn't a joke.

The worst part is they weren't even cremated.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
This discussion has been closed.