As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Modern Horizons spoilers happening now!

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Whoah a Scrabbling Claws reprint. Was it modern legal before now? Not that it'll make a splash due to relic...

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Speaking of, man the bottom end of ranked in MtGA is just blue tempo city. It's like 50% people playing weird shit and 50% people playing mono blue or rarely golgari good stuff on there climb up to the higher ranks.

It's honestly pretty boring cause if blue tempo works right you barely get to interact with it.

My dumbass thief of sanity deck is fun against it though. If they don't hit the magic curve they want it just sorta picks their hand apart a lot of the time. Nothing much fun to steal though.

this is likely a byproduct of just how long it takes to get shit in arena

I only recently was able to get all the rares for my old and probably outdated monoR build from early in the format without spending any money. I really dont like how screwed one is for deciding to change decks without any way to melt down stuff you arent using into cards you want

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    Speaking of, man the bottom end of ranked in MtGA is just blue tempo city. It's like 50% people playing weird shit and 50% people playing mono blue or rarely golgari good stuff on there climb up to the higher ranks.

It's honestly pretty boring cause if blue tempo works right you barely get to interact with it.

My dumbass thief of sanity deck is fun against it though. If they don't hit the magic curve they want it just sorta picks their hand apart a lot of the time. Nothing much fun to steal though.

this is likely a byproduct of just how long it takes to get shit in arena

I only recently was able to get all the rares for my old and probably outdated monoR build from early in the format without spending any money. I really dont like how screwed one is for deciding to change decks without any way to melt down stuff you arent using into cards you want

Yeah. They keep saying they're going to do something different with the surplus copies of cards you get besides just add to some invisible vault counter but they sure are taking there sweet time.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    when I open shit mythics id really like to be able to turn X number of them into a wild card, same with rares

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    when I open shit mythics id really like to be able to turn X number of them into a wild card, same with rares

no fuck you buy more packs

C O N S U M E

• Options
    thats a weird way to spell uninstall

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I've begun to learn that while those couple control decks may be rampant, very few using them seem to know how to properly pilot them, I've been able to slow run/fake out a lot of them lately into easy and punishable mistakes.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    my local meta is primarily players with very lengthy control deck careers so I absolutely can't play stuff weak to it at my fnm

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It's not like non-control decks aren't also getting new toys. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Jund midrange-beatdown deck; it'll get to play with Bedevil, the Gruul rioter that gives you and himself hexproof, the enchantment that makes all your guys uncounterable and rioters, Ravager Wurm...

• Options
    control shiny new toys are typically going to be a threat to midrange new toys

so I will just opt to blow them up quickly

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Opt doesn't deal damage though :P

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    damn

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Opt doesn't deal damage though :P

that's what Niv is for

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    So Dead Man's Chest (exile 4 cards from enemy library): Are they exiled face up as that's the default and it doesn't specify?

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    1KPi25P.jpg?1

"Ayn Rand Could Never"
    Land
    When “Ayn Rand Could Never” enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Gates, you gain 3 life.
    {T}: Add {C}.
    {T}: Add one mana of any color a Gate you control could produce.

PC5LKHh.jpg?1JVCun8b.jpg?1

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Whoah a Scrabbling Claws reprint. Was it modern legal before now? Not that it'll make a splash due to relic...

Orginially printed in og Mirrodin, the oldest (non-Core) set in the format.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    SHARKTOCRAB

• Options
    Simic has gone exactly far enough

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Nicol Bolas is going to regret not corrupting the Simic when they just send a bunch of kaiju out to punch him

• Options
    I dunno if Temur Monsters is gonna be a good deck but god it's gonna be a fun one

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The fact that "freeze" isn't keyworded has denied us flavor text for Sharktocrab and now I might want that more than an equivalent to "mill".

Edit:
    jgeis wrote: »
    Nicol Bolas is going to regret not corrupting the Simic when they just send a bunch of kaiju out to punch him

Kaiju vs Eternals? April can't get here fast enough.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    gatesablaze.jpgguildpactwindow.jpg
    "Azhovirzzekdosaruulosnyic Signet"

Artifact

Multicolored creatures you control get +1/+1.

Gates Ablaze is a badass cardname.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    God help me I want to try and make a gates deck work.

Idk what even the win condition would be. That gargoyle from last set? Just stall untill you can banefire or fight with fire them to death?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    1KPi25P.jpg?1

"Ayn Rand Could Never"
    Land
    When “Ayn Rand Could Never” enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Gates, you gain 3 life.
    {T}: Add {C}.
    {T}: Add one mana of any color a Gate you control could produce.

PC5LKHh.jpg?1JVCun8b.jpg?1

Ayn Rand could never

What

is Ayn Rand a planeswalker?

• Options
    t88nz6ebwe921.png
    Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, ~ deals 1 damage to that player.

1, sacrifice ~: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. ~ deals 2 damage to that permanent's controller.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Whenever an opponent casts a non-creature spell, ~ deals 1 damage to that player.

1, sacrifice ~: Destroy target artifact or enchantment. ~ deals 2 damage to that permanent's controller.

Oh this is a spicy sideboard card against control.

• Options
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    a-WOO-ga! Sound the alarm on Skewer the Critics! We got a bolt!

FUCK, red's gonna be good.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    yeesh, there's going to be so much burn in Bo1

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    It's a sorcery speed bolt that requires damage to be a bolt, but that's still technically a bolt!

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Kay wrote: »
    It's a sorcery speed bolt that requires damage to be a bolt, but that's still technically a bolt!

Still probably better than Rift Bolt once you get past turn 3?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Skewer the critics is EXTREMELY good for Thousand Year Storm.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I don't think there are many spells that aren't good when you're already going off with Thousand Year Storm

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    xevtk3p4e0d7.jpeg
    Boardwipe protection?
    Edit: also good in limited against Pacifism-style removal

gckut6xm9ndv.jpeg
    aka Glam Pyromancer

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    "Consistent" in Magic is not sub-50% if you're goldfishing.

Eyeroll. Ok there chief. Glad you've played my deck instead of judging via first netdeck you could find.

Goose on someone else.

Song of Freyalise is the only way to get 10 mana by turn 4, and if you run four copies it's barely a 50% chance to have a copy in your hand by T3 on the draw. It doesn't matter what your deck is at that point, any path to 10 mana runs through a single card.

Song isn't the only way to do this. Opening hand -> 3 lands 2 Lanowar elves 2 Druids.
    Land, elf. (2)
    Land, elf, druid. (5)
    Land, elf, druid (
    I don't think there are many spells that aren't good when you're already going off with Thousand Year Storm

Opt?

Actually now I want to build a comedy deck that deliberately loses via TYS and Opt.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

• Options
    priestofforgottengods.jpg
    ...wut

• Options
    I want to like that card but it feels like Whisper all over again. Knocking 2 off the cmc helps, though.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Whisper needs something in the graveyard worth reanimating. This gets you value.

Also interesting that this and Revenge cause life loss when everything else in this set has dealt damage.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That seems strong

2x39jD4.jpg
This discussion has been closed.