As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomics: Are They Good or Bad?

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    statler wrote: »

If you were his friends, you lot would drag him out the building right fucking now

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    JohnAllison.bob is a very strange and disjointed comic when enjoyed only through the single panels posted in the webcrumblics thread

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I am excited to see how Sunday dressed "in the old days"

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

If you were his friends, you lot would drag him out the building right fucking now

I'm sure he's gonna get dragged out right now. Just not by his friends and not by a body-part that's meant for such a thing.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

See

Now I want to watch the new She-Ra a lot actually

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    it's very much aimed at kids

but it is also very good and contains high amounts of gay energy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    there's only so much you can do when you have to use an existing magic casting character whose name is Castaspella

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    5ndby1l0ez7e.jpg
    Atomic Robo

I think this guys day is about to get worse.

• Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    there's only so much you can do when you have to use an existing magic casting character whose name is Castaspella

I know almost nothing about She-Ra and this right here has made me pretty much sold on it

• Options
    Thetheroo wrote: »

I know almost nothing about She-Ra and this right here has made me pretty much sold on it

The closest thing I can think to that is Asterix's druid being called Getafix.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    See I know this a show aimed at kids and kid-adjacent age groups. But what kind of evil overlord doesn't teach their trainee soldiers that they might have to blow up a few troublesome villages, you know, for the greater good and all.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    See I know this a show aimed at kids and kid-adjacent age groups. But what kind of evil overlord doesn't teach their trainee soldiers that they might have to blow up a few troublesome villages, you know, for the greater good and all.

Hordak has obviously never read the Evil Overlords List. Quite possibly because he has never taken an introspective view at his leadership style to realize "Yes. I am an Evil Overlord, and I'm OK with that". Only then can you embark on your journey to effectivize your organization and train the unquestioning and brutal stormtroopers that you deserve.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

No, see, when you’re a kid you think Getafix is a reference to how he always has the answers and think you’re pretty smart. Then you grow up and discover the second level and that Goscinny&Uderzo were way funnier than you.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

No, see, when you’re a kid you think Getafix is a reference to how he always has the answers and think you’re pretty smart. Then you grow up and discover the second level and that Goscinny&Uderzo were way funnier than you.

Second lev-oh... OHHHHHH

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Except that joke is only in the translation. In the original he's Panoramix, which has nothing to do with drug use. There are only five name-jokes among frequently reoccuring characters which are the same across the translations. Asterix and Obelix obviously. The other three are:
    Dogmatix (originally idefix), which is actually better because it include one more layer to the joke
    Geriatrix (originally Agecanonix). Which is the same.
    Fulliautomatix (originally Cétautomatix). Which is again better in the english translation because his father is Semiautomatix.

So really, the honour should go to Anthea Bell, who was the primary translator for the Asterix comics and a true legend of translating French-belgian comics into english. She was also the primary translator for Iznogoud.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    reminds me of the hebrew name for Transformers toys

Robotricksters

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Back when my mother worked part time at a library on a Canadian military base the Asterix/Tintin and one about a cowboy that I forget the name of were my favorite things to read there.

• Options
    Seg wrote: »
    Back when my mother worked part time at a library on a Canadian military base the Asterix/Tintin and one about a cowboy that I forget the name of were my favorite things to read there.

Lucky Luke?
    61vxNdDR1iL.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I am excited to see how Sunday dressed "in the old days"

Just like her two friends! Plaid v-neck sweaters!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Now you want a webcomic that's the exact opposite of your SMBCs, completely lacking in pretentiousness and pedantry, Poorly Drawn Lines is your ticket.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I wish every month had a holiday that gave me a long weekend and an excuse to go have a big family meal. Granted, I'm not the one doing all the big cooking, but I'd settle for just normal dinner fare.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    i am not excited about thanksgiving

never have been

it's just like *shrug*

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I have never celebrated thanksgiving.
    Mainly because it is a holiday from a country on another continent at the other side of the planet.
    My main feeling about the damn thing is annoyance about how every webcomic is suddenly making somekind of turkey comics, almost as bad as christmass really.

• Options
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Mainly because it is a holiday from a country on another continent at the other side of the planet.
    My main feeling about the damn thing is annoyance about how every webcomic is suddenly making somekind of turkey comics, almost as bad as christmass really.

Lets be positive instead. "Every other holiday is better than Columbus day".

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular

Lets be positive instead. "Every other holiday is better than Columbus day".

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Still better than Columbus day.

• Options

Toilets are awesome, and should have a month dedicated to them, not just a day.

• Options

Every day is toilet day. Unless you're for some reason is in a place where there are no toilets (the very definition of "not civilized"), in which case I recommend holding it for a day maybe and then have an extended prayer the next time you reach civilization.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

Pfft you can keep your Halloween decorations up and then slightly flip them to festive
    Festive heads on festive sticks!
    A spider with candy cane legs sticking out of a present. So many others I was forbidden by my mother to do this though as people would feel it's wrong and not find the humor behind it. Just I am far to busy to pull it off since this is MY HOUSE

The one that was very taboo was those net lights I wanted to get them wait until Xmas eve show a reindeer got tangled in them, Santa cut it free so and moved on with his day. She said people would call the cops on me over it.

I also wanted to build a Krampus to wave at people from the window when they drive around looking at the lights and decorations.

• Options

Every day is toilet day. Unless you're for some reason is in a place where there are no toilets (the very definition of "not civilized"), in which case I recommend holding it for a day maybe and then have an extended prayer the next time you reach civilization.

Holding it can actually kill you, go if you need to go, toilet or no.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Well they lock the bathrooms at work at night so I have to run home if I want to use the toilet I PAY FOR
    There are times that I have had to go outside because I just cannot hold it and well I had no choice

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Well they lock the bathrooms at work at night so I have to run home if I want to use the toilet I PAY FOR
    There are times that I have had to go outside because I just cannot hold it and well I had no choice

All of that should really make you appreciate the toilet and celebrate this day with vigor.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Fuck you Richard Nixon.

This discussion has been closed.