As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Webcomics: Are They Good or Bad?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Probably because the scars came from a moment of self actualization, where she actually chose for herself, rather than reacted.

Also, that scene kept returning to my mind when i see adora and catra interact

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    (to repeat my comment from over there)

Today’s word is “kintsugi”.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    (to repeat my comment from over there)

Today’s word is “kintsugi”.

Ah yes, the exquisite stylings of Death Cab for Cutie would fit this moment in Allison’s life.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    e2h5icckt2to.png
    Three Panel Soul

0i2culcihqw6.png is a valuable lesson in life.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    This isn't really a comic but close enough (and yes there is more than just this one image under the link, but this one image is pretty great by itself)

uoxgT0w.png

https://i.imgur.com/iuSsZtb

That's OK I didn't actually want to get any sleep ever again anyway

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They kinda look like Junji Ito was asked to draw a bird

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of debate on feathers in some dinosaurs. Most dinosaurs lack the bone attachment nubs that birds tend to have, so it isn't as obvious when they had them and when they didn't. But then, evidence also points to dinos having more primitive feathers, so who knows.

And although I tend to write like one, I'm no expert, just a very interested enthusiast.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of debate on feathers in some dinosaurs. Most dinosaurs lack the bone attachment nubs that birds tend to have, so it isn't as obvious when they had them and when they didn't. But then, evidence also points to dinos having more primitive feathers, so who knows.

And although I tend to write like one, I'm no expert, just a very interested enthusiast.

OK the concept of "more primitive feathers" and what that might have looked like sounds fascinating. Have any artists tried drawing renditions?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

OK the concept of "more primitive feathers" and what that might have looked like sounds fascinating. Have any artists tried drawing renditions?

IIRC it's mostly just that some of them just had down (a.k.a. plumulaceous feathers) rather than the type of feather you'd see as, say, an ink pen (a.k.a. pennaceous feathers).

so fuzzy dinosaurs, basically

and yeah, that's like 50% of feathered dinosaur pictures

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Neveron wrote: »

IIRC it's mostly just that some of them just had down (a.k.a. plumulaceous feathers) rather than the type of feather you'd see as, say, an ink pen (a.k.a. pennaceous feathers).

so fuzzy dinosaurs, basically

and yeah, that's like 50% of feathered dinosaur pictures

Wasn't as soft as down, but lacked the main feather quill, with little quills coming off that, then more coming off those. So like fuzzy spikes, I suppose.

And those main quills leave little bumps on the bird's bone that show up long after it's died, which can tell a paleontologist that it had feathers. Most dinosaurs lack those bumps.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Without context from the articles I stole these from, this is what I'm talking about. These show quill knobs on dino bones...

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Edit: And man, am I not explaining this right. Ok... the dino might have the main quill, with little fuzzy hair-like structures coming off that, but it would not have the fractal feathers that birds have, with little versions of the main quill branching off from the main quill, and so on, until there were little soft feather structures coming off those somewhere down the line. Someone with more knowledge help!

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

it's more like wolves had evolutionary pressure to lose their fear of humans so they could stand to approach closer to our refuse piles and scavenge food scraps from them
    MAN'S BEST FRIEND, THE NOBLE GARBAGE WOLF

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

it's more like wolves had evolutionary pressure to lose their fear of humans so they could stand to approach closer to our refuse piles and scavenge food scraps from them
    MAN'S BEST FRIEND, THE NOBLE GARBAGE WOLF

Ironically now we have to fight to keep them out of it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Accurate.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Without context from the articles I stole these from, this is what I'm talking about. These show quill knobs on dino bones...

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Edit: And man, am I not explaining this right. Ok... the dino might have the main quill, with little fuzzy hair-like structures coming off that, but it would not have the fractal feathers that birds have, with little versions of the main quill branching off from the main quill, and so on, until there were little soft feather structures coming off those somewhere down the line. Someone with more knowledge help!

t07cm1jkcorc.jpg

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Doesn't that only mean that they have wings? And I mean like serious wings (although in dinosaus probably used for mating displays). Because only feathers large enough and sufficiently attached to be used as flight feathers leaves those marks, basic covering feathers don't (being only embedded in the skin itself).

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed that black-and-white feathered T. Rex picture someone had. The pattern was incredible

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
  • Options

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Doesn't that only mean that they have wings? And I mean like serious wings (although in dinosaus probably used for mating displays). Because only feathers large enough and sufficiently attached to be used as flight feathers leaves those marks, basic covering feathers don't (being only embedded in the skin itself).

Man, I don't know.

I do think, from the last things I read a few years ago, that raptors may have been in the line that evolved into birds, so they might have had larger quill-type feathers at some point along the way. They still had hands, so to speak, so wings wouldn't really have been an option. As far as I know.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Man, I don't know.

I do think, from the last things I read a few years ago, that raptors may have been in the line that evolved into birds, so they might have had larger quill-type feathers at some point along the way. They still had hands, so to speak, so wings wouldn't really have been an option. As far as I know.

I'm just seeing a raptor doing a Bird of paradise style mating dance...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    More than likely, that would probably be accurate. Everything I've read or watched has suggested they were used to regulate body temperature or for mating displays just like modern birds and I don't see why they wouldn't have used them if they worked.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

PEhIdNl.jpg

8rqWvHt.jpg

Man, I don't know.

I'm just seeing a raptor doing a Bird of paradise style mating dance...

Not to mention raptors with a huge range of vocalisations

• Options
    edited January 2019
    It would p4obably be better to continue this discussion in a place more suited to it. So I combined a little frog DNA and some dino DNA and brought this back to life.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Mating rituals are wildly overrated just spizz your sperms and eggs into a current they'll get where they're goin

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I can't believe Blizzard Fridged Soldier76.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

The real tragedy of DOA is that at the rate time passes there it will be decades before Ruth gets to see the Leafs turn into an actual good team

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Fearghaill wrote: »

The real tragedy of DOA is that at the rate time passes there it will be decades before Ruth gets to see the Leafs turn into an actual good team

"me too bitch you ain't special"

Shadowen on
  • Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Ewok Adventure?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

the leafs will never be a good team

this is a constant of the universe

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Oglaf is NSFW
    Though this week it is with a tale of services rendered for love

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

They are very good right now!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

They are very good right now!

they will find some way to lose

they must, or this world and all other worlds will collapse

This discussion has been closed.