As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Discworld] Who Watches The Watchmen In The Watch?

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    NYCC had a panel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srAo3qwEeBg

I will save you all half an hour:
    • None of the individual books had enough for one eight part series, so they picked the best bits out of all of them to create their own series
    • Simon Allen has a "unique and original take on the characters and the stories" (read: names were kept, fuck all else)
    • You don't need to know the books to enjoy the series (I'd say that's a prerequisite at this point)
    • Using the fact that Pratchett mentions the multiverse to almost say that this is an alternate Discworld
    • Simon Allen describes the Watch as a "flawed but adorable band of magical misfits"
    • Characterises Vetinari as somebody who "largely uses sarcasm more than anything else", which makes them sound like the more obnoxious women I see on dating apps
    • An "insane demented absurd riotous comedy romp" - fucking hell, Simon, pull it back a bit
    • Death is a "grumpy comedy Death" who considers near-Death experiences to be messing with his schedule - seems like the Death of The Colour of Magic, before Pratchett got the characterisation of patient and interested Death down
    • Death teaser - small point, but why are they in water? It's been a desert since at least Small Gods
    • Death looks like a robot - show the skull, you cowards
    • Vimes and Sybil teaser - Vimes doing weird bug-eyed facial expressions, Sybil just doing generic no-nonsense posh lady
    • Domer saying that it's all about the walk - walking on the outsides of his feet? Sounds like nonsense actor bullshit to me, and doesn't make sense if he's able to read the cobbles and Proceed with the watchman's gait
    • Rossi talking about Sybil taking matters into her own hands and being pompous and entitled - so completely opposite to the books, where she's grounded and sensible but, initially at least, doesn't think about the world beyond dragons
    • Another teaser - enough has been said about Cheery, Angua and Carrot. Lolrandom pixie reference, and... latex gloves? The tech level is all over the place
    • Hugill - Carrot was actually brought up by dwarfs, which seems to contradict done of the other stuff about that backstory being given to Cherry. Hugill mentions Carrot's dwarf nickname of 'Head Banger', so either he's read the books or has listened to somebody who has. Seems to understand his character more than Dorner
    • Corlett - doesn't say much, but seems like they're going for the 'I'm a werewolf so what does that mean for the people I love' angle. Fair enough, it's in the books
    • Eaton-Kent - Cheery is an actual dwarf, so her height (and the fact that Carrot's height is remarked upon) returns to making no sense. She does mention that dwarfs have a gender unary rather than binary, so the early reports of her being a 'non-binary dwarf' are hopefully just media misrepresentation. Still don't agree with the beard being removed, obviously
    • Want Ankh-Morpork to have 'old and new' and 'contemporary', so not caring about the tech level, I guess
    • 360° sets, which is cool I suppose
    • Carcer is multilayered and we'll be rooting for him at some point, so a complete misread of the character right there
    • Carcer is falling through time and space? Not sure what they're talking about here
    • Trailer - I think I saw Angua playing an electric guitar?
    • Yvette Nicole-Brown just referred to Vetinari as "that president lady", which was the one thing I've seen Rihanna mention on Twitter, as it seems to sum up the level of understanding the production team have of the books in general. Not that she's on the production team, she's just moderating the session
    • Matt Berry plays a talking sword called Wayne. Damn it, I'll have to watch for that

So overall, not making me feel any better about this whole thing

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Stephen Briggs' response seems obvious from his recent tweet:

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm sorry, I got stuck on the first bullet point.
    None of the books have enough for eight episodes? I would like to call bullshit on that.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Yeah, and it makes me think that they're just going to have a rambling mess that goes nowhere

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What, do you expect them to spend time on actual character and plot development?

That’s so conformist.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    8 books didnt have enough content for one season of a show?
    8 books decent sized books that tell a sequential story over several in universe years?

Fuck off show runners

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    I understood it as one individual book wasn't enough, rather than the whole Watch series

Filming both Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms in one series would involve a time skip half way where we go from Vimes and Sybil meeting to getting married, but that could be done with the story starting with D'Eath researching Carrot, and using a through line of him being heir to the throne, maybe with some flashbacks or something to deal with the time skip

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    The walking thing sounds like they read the Proceeding bit in Men At Arms, but they didn't quite understand it.

Carcer falling through time is pretty obviously Night Watch

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Again, I think this hurts the most because it seems like they would be so close to something that might actually be an interesting interpretation of the Watch. It just seems that what we've seen of the script doesn't work for it, and that is the most important part.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Stephen Briggs' response seems obvious from his recent tweet:

Based on your bullet summary of the TV show, "Death of Ankh Morpork", coming January 2021, would also be an appropriate signage for that.

Honestly, I can't think of a time I've been less interested in a production of a franchise I've loved.

And I loved the Highlander, Terminator and Matrix franchises, and followed them through to the end.

I think, barring rave reviews from trusted sources, I'm just going to completely skip this show.

Because if it's only half as terrible as it sounds, it'll forever taint my perception of the books. I know that's happened for other books (though it wasn't the movie that soured me on Ender, it was OSC). Can't read them anymore, at least not without feeling guilty.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Oof, that interpretation of Vimes is just so far away from my head-canon I feel like watching the show would give me some kind of whiplash.

Also, am I going nuts or did a couple of scenes in there seem to be set in our-universe present day?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    The level of technology is certainly all over the place - some of the promotional stills seemed to include stuff like electric desk fans

• Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I had to stop halfway going through that list.

I'm pretty sure whoever is in charge of this has a serious grudge against Pratchett or his work.

This shit has to be deliberate.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The worst part of it, IMO, is that when it inevitably fails, they will blame it on the weak source material and on the fans who were not smart enough to understand their vision.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    The Fifth Elephant alone absolutely has enough for an 8 part series. That's probably the one I'd like to see the most just for Uberwald (which would honestly be easier for producers to get right than Ankh Morpork).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The Fifth Elephant alone absolutely has enough for an 8 part series. That's probably the one I'd like to see the most just for Uberwald (which would honestly be easier for producers to get right than Ankh Morpork).

Fairly certain you could get there with Night Watch too. Jingo might be tight, and everything before that probably not a full 8 . The earlier books are noticeably shorter than the later ones (save Shepherd's Crown).

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    When we started the thread titled "Discworld: Who watches the Watchmen in the Watch?" I never expected the answer to be "Nobody, because it's a terrible program." But here we are.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    If they didn't want to adapt the books, they could've just gone with a police procedural featuring the actual Watch. Columbo but with Carrot. CSI: Ankh-Morpork. I don't think there's been a quasi-medieval detective series since Cadfael, so it'd still feel original, right?

But this picking bits from the books and then twisting them into nonsense is... well, it's kind of infuriating, really. Either commit to an adaptation of the books or don't.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Small thing about latex gloves: in the books they have the capability to manufacture rubber condoms and as such they have the capability of making rubber gloves.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Small thing about latex gloves: in the books they have the capability to manufacture rubber condoms and as such they have the capability of making rubber gloves.

While that is true, hygiene normally covers making sure hands are washed after preparing food

I suppose Cheery could have been taught by the Igors, and for all I know this comes up in a scene discussing the new forensic and medical techniques

I'm 90% sure we've just put more thought into this than the show runners, though

• Options
    pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    If they didn't want to adapt the books, they could've just gone with a police procedural featuring the actual Watch. Columbo but with Carrot. CSI: Ankh-Morpork. I don't think there's been a quasi-medieval detective series since Cadfael, so it'd still feel original, right?

But this picking bits from the books and then twisting them into nonsense is... well, it's kind of infuriating, really. Either commit to an adaptation of the books or don't.

When the project was first talked about publicly (back when Sir Terry was still alive and had some control over the content) this is exactly what they said it would be. Not a direct adaption of any of the novels, but related stories using the same characters. I’d have been all for that.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    pezgen wrote: »

When the project was first talked about publicly (back when Sir Terry was still alive and had some control over the content) this is exactly what they said it would be. Not a direct adaption of any of the novels, but related stories using the same characters. I’d have been all for that.

It wouldn't even be that impossible. Police procedurals are about the oldest genre for TV and have been reimagined countless ways to be able to play with well rounded characters. Dragnet to Brooklyn 99.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

It wouldn't even be that impossible. Police procedurals are about the oldest genre for TV and have been reimagined countless ways to be able to play with well rounded characters. Dragnet to Brooklyn 99.

There was even a medieval one with a monk as the lead. Although “police” as a concept is kinda after the setting period there is a sheriff and a local Lord whose word is pretty much law.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

There was even a medieval one with a monk as the lead. Although “police” as a concept is kinda after the setting period there is a sheriff and a local Lord whose word is pretty much law.

That one's actually based on a very good murder-mystery series written by an actual medievalista really well-read autodidact lady, from what I recall. I've read a couple of them; it's worth a look if that might be a thing you like.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    There have been Roman Republic detective stories too. It's not impossible.

• Options

Vetinari's word may not be law, but who would be the first to say so?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Vetinari, actually.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    mrondeau wrote: »

Vetinari, actually.

Well in that case, who would be the first to agree with him?

sig.gif
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

Vetinari, actually.

Well in that case, who would be the first to agree with him?

Carrot likely. Or Vimes depending on his mood.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Vetinari, actually.

He will however gently suggest you make it a law.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Don’t let me detain you.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Charles Dance basically played the perfect Vetinari

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Charles Dance basically played the perfect Vetinari

I find it hard to see Dance as anyone but Tywin Lannister now, and his Vetenari seems more callous and likely to overestimate his own position with that mental overlay in effect

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    It’s incredibly disappointing that we never got the chance to see Alan Rickman try his hand at Vetinari… that said, Rowan Atkinson could do it as well…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    I honestly can't see Rowan Atkinson as Vetinari!

Edit: if we're looking at Blakadder alumni, maybe Hugh Laurie.

Edit 2: fuck it, Miranda Richardson as Vetinari.

Special K on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I think Capaldi would make a decent Vetinari.

Regarding the "none of the books has enough..." thing: the Bly Manor miniseries currently on Netflix is based on Turn of the Screw, which isn't even as long as Guards! Guards!, and is, I think, 10 hours of show? I'm pretty sure someone with a desire to turn any of the books into a series of TV could pad it out with some character backgrounds and relationship drama for a full series' worth of content.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »

Fairly certain you could get there with Night Watch too. Jingo might be tight, and everything before that probably not a full 8 . The earlier books are noticeably shorter than the later ones (save Shepherd's Crown).

You can make 8 episodes of a TV show from a 10 page short story. With great characters, which the watch gives you in spades, you can create 30 minutes of meaningful and interesting conversation with two people buying a dubious sausage on a stick.

But they've got guards guards to use for content, so they have an utterly trivial task to set things up for 8 episodes.

1) Introduction to the city, Vines and Vetinari. Demonstrate the relative incompetence of the watch, but their utility to Vetinari. Carrot arrives

2) Carrot meets Vetinari and joins the watch. Carrot attempts to arrest the head of the thieves guild to everyone's immense confusion. We meet the Elucidated Brotherhood.

3) The Elucidated brotherhood summons the dragon. Carrot goes on patrol with knobs and colon, ending with them sighting the dragon. Vines is ordered to investigate the dragon by Vetinari.

4)Vimes meets Lady Sybil. Cheery and Carrot have a scene and discuss their differing experiences as dwarves. Knobs and Colon meet Cutmyownthroat Dibbler.

And so on. Honestly the bigger challenge Is trimming it to 8 hours.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    yeah it is mind boggling easy to make 8 episodes out of any of the watch books

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Special K wrote: »
    I honestly can't see Rowan Atkinson as Vetinari!

Edit: if we're looking at Blakadder alumni, maybe Hugh Laurie.

Edit 2: fuck it, Miranda Richardson as Vetinari.

Miranda Richardson would obviously be Mrs. Cake

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    yeah it is mind boggling easy to make 8 episodes out of any of the watch books
    Eh... disagree. Most books can be distilled into a 2hr movie with no real problems, the first 2 books of Hitchhiker's Guide roughly tracks with the 6x30min episodes of the TV series, while Good Omens felt padded at 6x1hr episodes. Hell, The Hobbit started feeling like torture towards the end of 2x3hr movies and there was still the equivalent of another 3 episodes to go. I don't think it's easy by any stretch.

I don't want another faithful-but-slightly-disappointing adaptation, like Going Postal. I want a Schwarzenegger Conan, Cruise's Mission Impossible, Netflix's Dirk Gently, or Heath Ledger's Joker from The Dark Knight - take the characters and do something interesting with them. Hell, the most successful Robin Hood ever was played by a guy who couldn't be bothered hiding his American accent (although plenty would argue it wasn't him that made that adaptation interesting, but the performance you DO remember still supports the point).

Sure sometimes you might end up with Dragonball Evolution, but not being able to distance yourself from your creation gets you the Star Wars prequels and desperately trying to reconstruct the old magic gets you the Star Wars sequels. Making "In Name Only" adaptations is older than Shakespeare, although it's arguable that he popularised the practice.