As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NCAA] Basketball: Heavy is the Head that Wears the Crown

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This was a pretty fucking tough year for brackets.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    This was a pretty fucking tough year for brackets.

Heavy chalk, and then suddenly it wasn't.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I for one am glad something good could finally happen to Michigan State

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    When Izzo was screeching at his players, it wasn't out of rage, but out of fear

Fear that he wasn't good enough

And then he proved himself

This has all been so heartwarming

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I've got one final four team (Virginia) and am still in the top 98% of all ESPN brackets lmao

How does that work. I have Virginia beating Michigan State in the final in my bracket this year and I'm only in the top 85%.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    I've got one final four team (Virginia) and am still in the top 98% of all ESPN brackets lmao

How does that work. I have Virginia beating Michigan State in the final in my bracket this year and I'm only in the top 85%.

I did exceptionally well in the first 3 rounds. Like, 280/320, 240/320, and 280/320 followed by 80/320.

Of course I can only get 160 more points for the whole bracket (Virginia to the championship), so my % will go down as games play out and others that picked correctly go up. It's just that so many people picked Gonzaga and Kentucky (those two losses put me down to 99.2%, mind) and Duke (down to 98.3%) that not a lot of people actually moved up.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Virgina was the 1 seed I least expected to make it through, based solely on their historic first round loss last tourney.

Just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    When Izzo was screeching at his players, it wasn't out of rage, but out of fear

Fear that he wasn't good enough

And then he proved himself

This has all been so heartwarming

Can we stop going after Izzo for yelling at a player? Harbaugh yells at his players all the time; are you going to stop supporting UofM football?

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wolverines/jim-harbaugh-yelled-team-outback-bowl

Or how about how it's a common thing with plenty of college basketball coaches?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/preview2010/news/story?id=5767470

Or how about this snippet from a story about Virginia in the final four:
    Veteran players have mentioned that this season was the first time they’d heard Bennett yell, and the veteran coach has not been shy to rip into his players on the sideline.

The result: A regular-season ACC championship and the program’s first Elite Eight appearance since the 2015-16 season.

Coaches can have success without yelling (see UofM basketball) or success with yelling (see Duke, MSU, Kentucky, etc). If you have an issue with MSU, that's fine. God know's the university has been fucking up for the last couple decades. But focusing on him yelling seems silly.

As for the feel good story, we lost 2 of our starters and by most analyst's opinions got jobbed on seeding. Despite that we still made the final four. If Duke lost Zion and RJ before the tournament and made it to the final four, it would be a good story.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Can we stop going after Izzo for yelling at a player?

Nope

• Options
    Also no because these players aren't seeing non-illicit money for their labor

Also no because sometimes people should be treated not like shit

• Options
    Also honestly when I was making the joke about Michigan State I was kinda referring to, ya know *gestures at literally every other shitty thing happening there*

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I'll stop being snide about Izzo when he stops standing on the court during gameplay and stops whining at the refs

So, sometime before the heat death of the universe I think
    Edit: I don't want to keep being as much of a dick here as I've been. MSU has incredible accomplishments this year and should be rightly proud

But I just really hate Izzo

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Kentucky and Calipari agree to a lifetime contract.

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    I mean, other coaches yell, but Izzo is kind of the top of that group. Not really any denying that. It's pretty funny watching the national people freak out about it though being that he's been doing this for 20 odd years. He's done that countless times in the tournament alone and it's kinda a thing that he's always livid even if his team is winning huge.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Final is set: Texas Tech vs Virginia.

I can't believe how well I did in my bracket this year, I usually suck at this. if Tech wins it all I win $300 in my work bracket, and also win the PA group. So go Tech!

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    super late but

Fuck Duke

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    super late but

Fuck Duke

Never too late for this

• Options
    Man... I have no interest in this title game.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Final is set: Texas Tech vs Virginia.

I can't believe how well I did in my bracket this year, I usually suck at this. if Tech wins it all I win $300 in my work bracket, and also win the PA group. So go Tech!

I think I'm in the bottom two in the PA brackets so I'd stopped checking after the first weekend. Looks like I'll take second in my work bracket. Turns out 3/4 on the Final Four and 1/2 on the championship makes for a nice comeback.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Game time in two hours

I'm expecting some kind of slow pace induced time vortex, could be fun!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This is the Chuck Rhoades version of fun

PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The fact that they can go frame by frame with multiple angles to overturn that out of bounds call in VA's favor but have to ignore the obvious reach in fouls is really dumb.

Not that it matters since TT can't shoot for shit

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The most important defensive possession of the season for Tech was Virginia's last offense of regulation and they were like not ready at ALL. It was pretty ridiculous. They could've won.

• Options
    The season is underway!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I like what Kentucky is putting on the court this year.

• Options
    Maxey is a damn stud!

• Options
    Heels 1-0 in ACC play!

I am not a fan of starting the season in ACC play, but at least it was a win

Also Cole Anthony broke the UNC "first game as a Tar Heel" scoring record, as well as grabbed 11 rebounds for his first college double-double

If the rest of the team can gel around him, we should be really really good

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Fucking really, Kentucky? Evansville??

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I like what Kentucky is putting on the court this year.

lol this was the first post I saw in the thread, what good timing on my part

• Options
    This year has been crazy at the top. Nobody can hold on to a top ranking.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    This year has been crazy at the top. Nobody can hold on to a top ranking.

Meanwhile PSU is in the top 20 what the fuck.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    UNC lost to Clemson in Chapel Hill for the first time EVER

They are 1-59 in Chapel Hill now.

Also Baylor won in Allen Fieldhouse for the first time but they were only 0-16 before.

• Options
    Yup. 94 year record downed by a team coached by Brad Brownell

Injuries suck

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Duke/Carolina Part The First tonight

Which reminds me that I need to restock the liquor cabinet

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    The tournament this year is going to be impossible to predict.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Penn State in the final four. Because why the fuck not.

• Options

After a season this chaotic, the inevitable outcome is the most chaotic one: a mountain of chalk.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Penn State in the final four. Because why the fuck not.

Because never reward Penn State

But it's 2020, so you can pencil in that PSU/Baylor final right now

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    My apologies to the world for failing to properly kick Duke in the nuts

It's been an amazingly cursed season so far

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    GTHC Baybeeeeee