As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2018 Congressional/Senate Election Results Thread

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Alabama turned against the republican because he was a literal serial child molester. That's what it takes to turn off a sizable chunk of the GOP.

A blatantly racist comment isn't going to really move the needle.

Also keep in mind that Moore didn't lose by that much either.

It's like when Alaska elected a Democrat only because he opponent was a convicted felon and even then it was a win by a couple of hundred votes.

Yeah, but that's like a quarter of the population, right?

:rotate: Haven't heard any comments like that before, nosiree! :razz:

~stands behind you in total solidarity, while wearing my Floridan sandals and sunglasses~

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    On Mississippi, it is the most racially polarized state in the country. Mississippi whites vote for Republicans like blacks everywhere vote for Democrats, basically. And it doesn't have the same kind of immigrant population from other parts of the country that say, Georgia even or especially Virginia has. Racist comment probably not disqualifying.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    On Mississippi, it is the most racially polarized state in the country. Mississippi whites vote for Republicans like blacks everywhere vote for Democrats, basically. And it doesn't have the same kind of immigrant population from other parts of the country that say, Georgia even or especially Virginia has. Racist comment probably not disqualifying.

Certainly not with this attitude!

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Alabama turned against the republican because he was a literal serial child molester. That's what it takes to turn off a sizable chunk of the GOP.

A blatantly racist comment isn't going to really move the needle.

Also keep in mind that Moore didn't lose by that much either.

It's like when Alaska elected a Democrat only because he opponent was a convicted felon and even then it was a win by a couple of hundred votes.

And thirdly it was a special election. Chances are excellent in a on-year election that Moore would have won.

EDIT: Candidate mixup

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Is there a good article I can bookmark for the most up to date info on Florida and GA races?

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Article 1 Section 4
    The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

Pretty sure he can go fuck himself.

I'm confused, why haven't I heard about any states requiring liberal areas to vote for representatives and senators in entirely different voting locations, while allowing conservative areas to use the same voting locations? Have no state legislatures ever bothered to read that part of the constitution, or is there something else that I'm missing?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Article 1 Section 4
    The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

I'm confused, why haven't I heard about any states requiring liberal areas to vote for representatives and senators in entirely different voting locations, while allowing conservative areas to use the same voting locations? Have no state legislatures ever bothered to read that part of the constitution, or is there something else that I'm missing?

Because that section of the constitution just says that each state gets to pick how their voting systems work? There is nothing there about making liberals or conservatives at all.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Article 1 Section 4

Because the methods must respect equal protections. If it was "liberal areas" it might even be Constitutional but generally those would create substantial racial imbalances which are prohibited. Polinquin's argument is that a uniform system violates equal protection because....

He basically argues that
    The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States,
    must mean a plurality system despite article 4 directly contradicting that interpretation.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    (cont)
    Indeed in the cited case Phillips v Rockefeller (1970) which argued the opposite (that a majority was required not a plurality in NY) the 2nd circuit found (emphasis mine)
    The key question, then, involves the meaning of the language in Article I, Section 2, "chosen by the People." It seems clear that that language was not intended to mean that a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast at the general election in order to be elected to the House of Representatives. When the framers of the Constitution intended that a majority be required, they were quite capable of saying so. Thus in Article II, Section 1, of the Constitution providing for the election of the President, by electors chosen in the various states, the Constitution provided that
    the Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed * * *

In the Twelfth Amendment which superseded Article II, Section 1, effective September 25, 1804, it was again provided:
    The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed.

Thus it follows that if the drafters of Article I, Section 2, had intended to require election by a majority of the people, they would have said so.

Morever, the language of Article I, Section 2, has never been construed to mean that a candidate must receive a majority of the votes cast in order to be
    elected to the House. On the contrary, the provision has always been construed to mean that the candidate receiving the highest number of votes at the general election is elected, although his vote be only a plurality of all votes cast. Our political history records many elections of Representatives to Congress, both before and after 1913, where the winner received only a plurality of the votes. Hence when the drafters of the Seventeenth Amendment chose to use the language of Article I, Section 2, they surely knew that that language had permitted elections by a plurality.

In sum, the deliberate choice of the drafters of the Seventeenth Amendment to use the words of the section providing for elections to the House, rather than the words of the 1866 Act, demonstrates that they intended the same result — that is, that elections to the Senate need not be by a majority of the votes cast.
    Article I, Section 4, of the Constitution provides that the "Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof." The New York Election Law does not specify whether, in the case of elections to these offices, a majority or a plurality is required. However, in interpreting the words of the Election Law that Senators shall be "elected by the people," New York has adopted the practice of permitting a plurality candidate to be duly elected, without providing for a run-off election. As shown above, that interpretation is consonant with the Seventeenth Amendment.

What a terrible case they have if that's their precedent. A different circuit allowing a state legislature to allow a plurality does not in anyway suggest that they can't require a majority or require a runoff.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Way I heard it from a friend in Maine a while back, the whole reason the state (finally) went to preference voting was that the D vote kept getting split between multiple entitled chucklefucks like this guy, allowing the R candidate* to walk in and sit down while they're all stuck in the door yelling at each other.

* Singular, because one party usually has its discipline together.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Oh this New Yorker cover is just delightful.

Smith is the CEO of the Texas Tribune

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Way I heard it from a friend in Maine a while back, the whole reason the state (finally) went to preference voting was that the D vote kept getting split between multiple entitled chucklefucks like this guy, allowing the R candidate* to walk in and sit down while they're all stuck in the door yelling at each other.

* Singular, because one party usually has its discipline together.

They elected the same ?governor? twice, even though he was awful and over half of the state really didn't like him, but he kept winning the seat with ~40% of the votes.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    MS Governor Phil Bryant has declared that there was nothing wrong with Senator Hyde-Smith's comment, because he knows her heart isn't racist. He's worked hard on race relations, even inviting the president to the openings of two museums about civil rights, and it just peeved him to all get out that black leaders wouldn't show up. And anyway, isn't the real racism that black women have more abortions per capita*? In conclusion, the dog ate his homework, and is now whimpering and pawing at its ears.

*This is actually true, but I'm pretty sure the numbers he used in his remarks were made up.

• Options
    The real racism is God I can't finish that sentence even as a joke.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    “Abortion is the real racism!” is a brand-new kind of crazy I’ve never heard of, so I guess kudos to that for keeping me on my toes.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    “Abortion is the real racism!” is a brand-new kind of crazy I’ve never heard of, so I guess kudos to that for keeping me on my toes.
    It’s been around for a while now.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

The pro-life people have been spreading falsified Margaret Sanger quotes about how much she hates black people for decades.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Google threw this at me this morning and I thought it was an interesting look at the election:
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/13/republicans-trump-redistricting-house-2018-984947
    House Democrats steamrolled Republicans in an array of districts last week, from those drawn by independent commissions or courts, to seats crafted specifically by Republicans with the intention of keeping them in the GOP column.

The overriding factor: a Republican president who political mapmakers could not have foreseen at the beginning of the decade. Trump altered the two parties’ coalitions in ways that specifically undermined conventional wisdom about the House map, bringing more rural voters into the GOP tent while driving away college-educated voters.

The trade worked in some states. But it was a Republican disaster in the House, where well-off suburbs, once the backbone of many GOP districts, rebelled against Trump in 2016 and then threw out House members in 2018.

It goes on with some other stuff you can read in the article but the basic premise is that gerrymandering, when done as forcefully as the GOP have done it via models and such, involves a lot of demographic assumptions about support for each party. And Trump has basically accelerated an already existing movement within the parties, pushing educated and urban/suburban voters out and bringing more low-education and rural voters in to the GOP coalition. Which completely fucked a bunch of republicans who suddenly found themselves representing carefully gerrymandered districts full of people who now wanted nothing to do with the GOP brand. This has also, in a few cases, worked in reverse as some districts drawn by Democrats for Democrats are going Republican as the Democratic congresspeople's former rural base switches sides (so to speak).

In general, and this is a major issue wrt the Senate, we are seeing I think a move towards more low-information and rural voters by the GOP because that's a big part of what Trump attracts with his style and politics. This may be mostly manageable in the House but the Senate is only going to get worse and worse.

shryke on
  • Options
    Katie Porter (D) has finally taken the lead in CA45 against Mimi Walters.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Its basically concern trolling

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

The pro-life people have been spreading falsified Margaret Sanger quotes about how much she hates black people for decades.

Friend of mine worked on curating her papers. Got disillusioned because what she read was super, super racist.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Friend of mine worked on curating her papers. Got disillusioned because what she read was super, super racist.

Let's check wikipedia:
    Margaret Sanger, September 14, 1879 – September 6, 1966

Ok, yeah, super racist doesn't seem like a big surprise.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    It is usually kind of weird given Sanger mostly didn't support abortion.

• Options
    And the AP called CA10 for the Democrat.

AP is a news organization

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    What's our flip count at now?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

That's my boy!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

Clearly he tried harder.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Is there a good article I can bookmark for the most up to date info on Florida and GA races?

Seems Twitter User @baseballot is updating races as they close and other pertinent info.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

I think both of those were included in the estimated +39 when I asked.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

By 261 votes, with a ton left to count.

For those wondering, this is one of the Orange County "always Republican" suburb areas around LA which have been shifting blue.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Is that +39 from now or from half?

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Is that +39 from now or from half?

39 seats gained from the present Congress. That puts Dems at about 232 of the 435 seats in the House.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @moniker I want you to know that i hate you so much right now. <3

• Options

Ah ah AH!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

It's worth following the link too. You can probably guess, but they make sure to twist the knife on it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Reminder we have a no satire rule for political threads, yes even adorable muppet satire

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

As anyone who heard political ads for the district, it's Liberal Katie Porter thank you very much.

It always bothered me how dirty they made it sound.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Conservative media has been yelling about how the Democrats don't care about the victory of an asian american because she's a Republican, when it looks like Kim is actually going to end up losing her race.

This discussion has been closed.