As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    The grapefruit cordial in that link is seriously amazing. It's super easy to make, too. Make sure to keep a mesh strainer handy for the fresh juice, when you get to that step. I only needed one grapefruit and one lime for the juice, rather than the two the recipe suggested.\

People who take certain medications will want to avoid this one, though. Grapefruit juice inhibits certain liver enzymes that metabolize drugs.

Tynnan on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so i'm guessing that my dried ginger is old.

but i also added grated ginger in as well.

I think i need to go on a hunt for a new gingerbread recipe. Because while this molasses cake is delicious, it is not what I was looking for.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    My partner is doing no-knead bread and it's giving me anxiety

All the recipes she found called for a whopping 12-hour proof, at room temp.

I understand the longer proof time is likely to allow it to develop gluten on its own, where this would normally be accomplished by the kneading process, but that time at that temp just seems like a really nice breeding ground for the bad kind of bacteria.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    My partner is doing no-knead bread and it's giving me anxiety

All the recipes she found called for a whopping 12-hour proof, at room temp.

I understand the longer proof time is likely to allow it to develop gluten on its own, where this would normally be accomplished by the kneading process, but that time at that temp just seems like a really nice breeding ground for the bad kind of bacteria.

Not really? Also, bread is cooked at fairly high heat, so either that or the bread yeast bacteria will kill it (THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE).

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I use a 24 hour rise, generally . And yeah, the good bacteria in the bread will outcompete any bad shit that gets in.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I usually let no-knead dough rise in the fridge so it doesn't go too fast

but yeah you don't have to worry about bacteria with the yeast doing its thing

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Cooking and dishes are my primary podcast times at this point. An hour in the kitchen goes by fast when there's a good story going on.

I wish I could do this, stupid ADHD

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    so i'm guessing that my dried ginger is old.

but i also added grated ginger in as well.

I think i need to go on a hunt for a new gingerbread recipe. Because while this molasses cake is delicious, it is not what I was looking for.

Fuck I can make gingerbread.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh, ok. Apparently this is what I'd been needing all day without realising it.

Catfish, rolled in spiced flour and fried crisp, with gai-lan sauteed in leftover Tom Yum broth, plus rice noodles. Not the prettiest meal ever but dang, it's good.

yxzqesj96epa.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Not the prettiest meal, she says.

while looking like something that should be on the cover of a magazine.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yeah, fuck you for making fucking catfish look good.
    :(

• Options
    if tynic ever gets tired of paving the way for robot hegemony, she'll always have professional food photography to fall back on

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I'm keeping a list of recipes that blow my wife's mind

This lentil salad is the latest one. If you're vegetarian (or not), it's worth trying out.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/make-ahead-lentil-salad

• Options
    First attempt at bread looks pretty good at least

95721142_10104818397210392_2808142432368066560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_oc=AQkGgrnRMmJQ-q1AuENVcd-KxyEKJxr8CSV9piD56pe-amZhht4Sn91DhmLXJi2btPOI1POLm4_xjh6DwlzS2MJU&_nc_ht=scontent.ftpa1-2.fna&oh=b097b1c5049013be4e77e61e736b45b0&oe=5EE0AA8C

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I watched some small youtube documentary (I guess you'd call it) on a small italian town that makes two virtually unknown products

Pitina - a type of salami that has no casing and is instead rolled in polenta, smoked for a day with juniper branches, and let dry for a month
    pestàt di fagagna - a sort of sausage (but not a sausage at all) that consists of minced carrots, leeks, celery, rosemary, sage, and hog back fat, and is then dried in a hog middle for a year (!!), and then used as a base to flavor dishes (as might a mirepoix).

I desperately want to attempt these, but the only recipe for pitina I can find does not include any sort of prague powder (which is highly suspect in my opinion) and I can find no trace of information on the pestàt di fagagna aside from the few seconds of it being made in that documentary.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Looks like Pitina is cured with a long cold smoke which dehydrates quite a bit and maybe the dry age is done in the winter or at least in a cold cellar? I dunno, maybe with all that and enough salt you can kickstart a healthy ferment without using nitrates? Looks delicious though

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Looks like Pitina is cured with a long cold smoke which dehydrates quite a bit and maybe the dry age is done in the winter or at least in a cold cellar? I dunno, maybe with all that and enough salt you can kickstart a healthy ferment without using nitrates? Looks delicious though

I'm debating doing a couple versions.

version 1 will be a recipe I saw on youtube which is essentially 800g pork, 150g lamb, 50g back fat with 27g salt, various aromatics, and 100ml red wine. Smoked for a bit and then set in the fridge for a week, a tupperware container for a week, and then in the open fridge again for 10 days.

version 2 will be the same but with 2g of prague powder #2 and I'll try smoking it with (in addition to cherry) juniper berries. Then I'll let it sit in my wine cooler (at 45f) for a month.

the only thing I hate about experimenting like this is if I fail, I'm out a good chunk of time and money

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    First attempt at bread looks pretty good at least

snip

Update: tastes/feels pretty dang good too!

Crust feels great; very crispy with just the perfect amount of chew when you bite into it. A little dense in the crumb though, could definitely be lighter, which I guess makes sense since it's no-knead. Could this potentially be solved by proofing it more? Less? Bigger vessel to let the dough expand more?

When we finally got to baking it today, it had actually deflated a bit from when we checked it last night.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Shrimp po' boy sandwiches for lunch

uE7TDu7.jpg?1

Bread was not ideal but it still turned out well, and now I have plenty of remoulade left over

xet8c.gif

• Options
    I dug out the pit for the smokehouse I'm designing!

Tomorrow I will put in the gravel base, pour the slab, and put in the vertical rebar (which I probably don't need to do, but hey, I have some laying around).

I'm hoping this weekend to have the block laid (though I will have to cut some to fit the cleanout and the pipe from the offset smoker).

• Options
    Leftovers tonight. Homemade ricotta gnocchi and a quick homemade tomato sauce from Friday. Garnished with parsley from my windowsill herb pot.

ooj6naovqath.jpg

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think next Easter I'm gonna try a lamb roast ... thing. I've been wanting to do lamb for a spring meal, just haven't gotten around to trying it

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    This thread is reminding me how much I miss bread while stuck in the gluten free zone.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    We have leftovers so of course I sliced bacon, onions, garlic, mushrooms, and a bell pepper to make a cream thing with white wine to put on top of rice.

sarukun on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    This thread is reminding me how much I miss bread while stuck in the gluten free zone.

Errrrr, don't go to the bread thread.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I think next Easter I'm gonna try a lamb roast ... thing. I've been wanting to do lamb for a spring meal, just haven't gotten around to trying it

Lamb is so easy to make amazing, just get a bone-in leg roast, and cook it low and slow. You don't gotta fuck about with it, just cook it and it'll taste fantastic. Of course you can prepare sauces to go with, but it's simpler and easier than turkey, for instance.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I dug out the pit for the smokehouse I'm designing!

Tomorrow I will put in the gravel base, pour the slab, and put in the vertical rebar (which I probably don't need to do, but hey, I have some laying around).

I'm hoping this weekend to have the block laid (though I will have to cut some to fit the cleanout and the pipe from the offset smoker).

I did exactly this

I am so tired

hey, should we make a new cooking thread now I guess?

• Options
    It's just a little airborne! It's still good! It's still good!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's just a little airborne! It's still good! It's still good!

It's gone.

• Options
    perfect top of the page

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    No! If this thread dies, the entire forum will be in 2020! Let me have this, dammit!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread, recommend me a herb/spice to use in place of Rosemary. I can't stand the strong piney flavor, it's too much. So what's something you could use just about anywhere you'd use rosemary?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    basil or sage imo

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Cooking thread, recommend me a herb/spice to use in place of Rosemary. I can't stand the strong piney flavor, it's too much. So what's something you could use just about anywhere you'd use rosemary?

Counter-argument: the flavor profiles of basil and sage are rull different from each other and from rosemary, what recipe are you making? Just, forever and always amen a substitute?

Thyme may be a good option if you want to stay in the same somewhat-resiny neighborhood.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I made pizza last night and it turned out pretty great.

o189isothk3m.jpg

ml3ju60r4wn1.jpg

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    After so many pizza pics I’m breaking down and going to make one. I think I have a stone, and I may try the stone on my grill method as I’m pretty sure my shitty electric stove won’t get near hot enough for my liking.

What’s the go to pizza dough all you cool cats are using?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    After so many pizza pics I’m breaking down and going to make one. I think I have a stone, and I may try the stone on my grill method as I’m pretty sure my shitty electric stove won’t get near hot enough for my liking.

What’s the go to pizza dough all you cool cats are using?

I used the dough and sauce from this video: https://youtu.be/HukqEjCPkhU

I baked it in a rimmed baking sheet at 450 F, rather than cast iron. My stone hasn't arrived yet, sadly. Bottom rack for 15 minutes, turning halfway through. Set it on a wire rack for a few minutes before cutting. The toppings I sauteed briefly to cut down their moisture content, which really helped prevent any lakes from forming on top of the pizza. The cheese was a mixture of shredded Tillamook part-skim mozz, full-fat string cheese mozz, and some parmesan grated over top.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made some limpin' susan as a side for lunch today:

KSHsRTI.jpg?1

Super easy and quick to make, with just a bit of a kick from the cayenne pepper

xet8c.gif

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Dang. I didn't know she had a limp, I spent all these years thinking she was just lazy.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Dang. I didn't know she had a limp, I spent all these years thinking she was just lazy.

her sister 'walks relatively quickly Ethel' was fine. if you want to avoid being in Sal's dinner pot, you don't have to be the fastest .... just faster than Susan

This discussion has been closed.