As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah, broiling is like... inverted grilling in your oven. The broiler elements on the top of the oven aren't covered like the ones on the bottom, so it's more direct and intense heat on whatever you're cooking.

jgeis on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My electric oven has a broil setting on the temperature dial which turns on the extra heating element on the ceiling of the oven, which is very strong, creates a much stronger heat than the normal heating elements and burns the tops of things if I'm not careful. I sometimes use it for toasting things. I don't know if all electric ovens have a broil setting or not or if they all put it on the oven dial controls. If there's a big heating coil on the ceiling of your oven it probably has a broil setting.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Tomorrow for breakfast I plan to cook a half cup of rice with a splash of EVOO, a chicken bullion cube, a tbsp of dried onion, and a heap of collards from our garden, and then top that with a couple eggs over easy

I've had less than 1k calories since Sunday and I feel like I'm starving

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I saw some already cleaned up lobster tails, packaged with already cleaned up and crab stuffed shrimp and crab cakes, packed in a cute little heart-shaped box at the grocery store

I didn't buy it, but I'm going to go look for it this evening

If I can find that, what would be done good side dishes to serve with it?

My girlfriend likes to eat lots of veggies and salads and tries to avoid things like pasta

She's also been eating a healthier version of tuna noodle casserole the past couple of days, but I think she really likes lobster,

You could do some zucchini noodles with a cream and garlic sauce?

Could make fondant potatoes!

Asparagus and hollandaise is a real good side

I really like the little kick of acidity you get from grilling/sauteeing sliced tomatoes and sprinkling a tiny dash of balsamic on top of them

Some sauteed mushrooms go well with whatever

I can back that zucchini noodles with any cream sauce are delicious and would probably pair well with lobster even though it's a bit rich.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So when a recipe says to broil something...

What does that mean?

Suppose I'm working with a cheap electric oven

@DouglasDanger

Ultimately, broiling is all about searing food, and the idea is to apply a lot of heat quickly, to kinda/sorta burn the outside of the food and cause what's known as the Maillard reaction, which is kinda like caramelization. The main difference is that caramelization is basically a fancy word for "burn the sugar, but in a good way" where as the Maillard reaction is more about causing the sugars and amino acids to react under heat, which is why it is usually thought of as being more meat-related (as opposed to caramelization being all about sugars).

Wikipedia basically says that broiling is essentially the same as grilling, except that in America especially it refers to cooking using a heat source above the food. I don't know if there's necessarily anything special/different about the top heating element, but for some reason that method of cooking typically ends up being much hotter and a more intense, and therefore faster, cooking method. Broiling will absolutely cook faster, to the point that for things like toast or garlic bread, I typically put the food in when I turn the broiler on, because it definitely doesn't need long.

Check your oven, it should have a broil setting. Almost every oven has some sort of drawer-type thing underneath it, if you don't have a top heating element in your oven, the drawer is probably an actual, proper broiler, and you'll want a broil pan to use in it. If the oven does have a top element, it probably has a "broil" setting on the temperature gauge, so you can just use that. Also when you oven-broil you'll almost definitely want to make a "door stopper" out of some aluminum foil to keep the door from shutting all the way, which keeps the heating element from turning off, so that you get a better broil.

Definitely use a temperature probe thermometer, it's about the best investment you can make if you don't already have one.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Also if you're going to be broiling beef let me talk to you about reverse-searing.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Thanks very much

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Also if you're going to be broiling beef let me talk to you about reverse-searing.

Let me talk to you about flap steak because you really do want to broil that fucker.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Let me talk to you about flap steak because you really do want to broil that fucker.

Alton Brown's method of laying it directly on a hot, ash-covered bed of mesquite charcoal is, by far, the best way to cook flap steak. Bonus points for having a little edible ash on your steak.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I love finishing off a pizza on broil. Just long enough to get the pepperoni to curl and the cheese to just start to brown.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I love finishing off a pizza on broil. Just long enough to get the pepperoni to curl and the cheese to just start to brown.

Bonus points if you get some ricotta on that bad boy. Slightly burnt ricotta is so damn good

• Options
    DrZiplock wrote: »

I think I can broil them all

I think you mentioned that the lobster was already prepared? You sure it's not precooked?

And if it's not - yes, you can broil them all if you'd like, but you can't broil them all together for the same time.

Thanks! I haven't cooked any of these things before

All three of them are cleaned and ready to cook

Yeah you CAN broil them all but I feel like crab cakes would do well in a lightly buttered pan maybe? If you don't mind some active time. Probably want to bake/broil the stuffed shrimp and the lobster if it's not cooked yet can be butter poached and you can feel like royalty

@Erin The Red I moved this over here

Your food tweets always look amazing

So you're suggesting I broil the lobster tails and shrimps and pan fry the crab cakes?

I've sauteed peeled shrimps and also grilled them, but those weren't stuffed with crab

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

I think I can broil them all

I think you mentioned that the lobster was already prepared? You sure it's not precooked?

And if it's not - yes, you can broil them all if you'd like, but you can't broil them all together for the same time.

Thanks! I haven't cooked any of these things before

All three of them are cleaned and ready to cook

Yeah you CAN broil them all but I feel like crab cakes would do well in a lightly buttered pan maybe? If you don't mind some active time. Probably want to bake/broil the stuffed shrimp and the lobster if it's not cooked yet can be butter poached and you can feel like royalty

@Erin The Red I moved this over here

Your food tweets always look amazing

So you're suggesting I broil the lobster tails and shrimps and pan fry the crab cakes?

I've sauteed peeled shrimps and also grilled them, but those weren't stuffed with crab

Is the shrimp raw? Is it breaded? Or just stuffed?
    Is the lobster raw or cooked?

But yeah I'd recommend pan for the crab cakes. Helps them get a nice crunch crust on the outside that I feel really contrasts well with a hot soft interior

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Huh. I've always understood grilling to be top-down heat. Never really heard of broiling. Must be a UK/US thing.

• Options
    The grilling I was referring to is called barbeque in other parts of the world, I think

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yea, the crab cakes should likely be done in a saute pan with some butter.

You can broil them (and grill them too, actually), but if this is your first rodeo with them then I'd use a pan and some butter. Not a lot, mind. Also, they're already cooked - so all you'll need to really do is bring them up to room temp (before you cook them), toss some butter in a pan on medium/medium-high heat and place them in. Flip when you start to get some browned goodness.

I will say that this pretty much implies that you have crab cakes that appear to be pretty well breaded on the outside (not a true crab cake, really, but that's the would be Maryland boy in me being persnickety). If you've got some seriously authentic shit you can start them in the pan, finish them with the broiler and never flip.

All that said - you have to be VERY GENTLE with crab cakes. The good ones will fall the fuck apart if you've not easy with them.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Yea, the crab cakes should likely be done in a saute pan with some butter.

You can broil them (and grill them too, actually), but if this is your first rodeo with them then I'd use a pan and some butter. Not a lot, mind. Also, they're already cooked - so all you'll need to really do is bring them up to room temp (before you cook them), toss some butter in a pan on medium/medium-high heat and place them in. Flip when you start to get some browned goodness.

I will say that this pretty much implies that you have crab cakes that appear to be pretty well breaded on the outside (not a true crab cake, really, but that's the would be Maryland boy in me being persnickety). If you've got some seriously authentic shit you can start them in the pan, finish them with the broiler and never flip.

All that said - you have to be VERY GENTLE with crab cakes. The good ones will fall the fuck apart if you've not easy with them.

Oh yeah. The ones I've had down here have been a very high % crabmeat, as the good pinchy lord intended

• Options
    Damn, I should have got people old bay for Christmas!

• Options
    Shrimps for 15-20 minutes in a 375F oven

Lobster tails 5-10 minute at broil

Crab cakes thanks to Zip

• Options
  • Options
    Dinner turned out really well, thanks y'all for the advice

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so it's been a while since i've caught up. but

@DrZiplock if you're still looking for rosemary recipes, there's a small company down here that makes an amazing rosemary jelly.
    This is a random recipe that I found, but the idea is essentially the same. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/rosemary-jelly/

it's soooo good on meat of all kinds, but also good with scones.

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    rosemary jelly sound like the perfect companion to mint jelly, in the trash heap of jellies (and I like rosemary)

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Huh. I've always understood grilling to be top-down heat. Never really heard of broiling. Must be a UK/US thing.
    The grilling I was referring to is called barbeque in other parts of the world, I think

It is almost absolutely a US thing. Apparently in the US broiling means top-down heat, grilling essentially means bottom-up cooking, with nothing between the food and the cooking surface (so no pot/pan), and typically at least implies the use of open flame and a surface that can be used to leave the crossed 'grill' lines on the food.

Barbecue in the US is actually very different from grilling. Grilling is closer to broiling, high heat, short time. Barbecue is low and slow, baby, awh yeeeeah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue#Styleshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue#Styles
    In American English usage, grilling refers to a fast process over high heat while barbecuing refers to a slow process using indirect heat or hot smoke, similar to some forms of roasting. In a typical U.S. home grill, food is cooked on a grate directly over hot charcoal, while in a U.S. barbecue the coals are dispersed to the sides or at a significant distance from the grate. In British usage, barbecuing refers to a fast cooking process done directly over high heat, while grilling refers to cooking under a source of direct, moderate-to-high heat—known in the United States as broiling. Its South American versions are the southern Brazilian churrasco and the Argentine asado.

• Options
    Colloquially, you can use a flat-top style cooking surface (like a griddle) to grill, and technically that is correct (see also: Cheese, Grilled), but we try not to talk about it too much because it starts fights.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    But because the US can't resist being confusing, we frequently refer to an outdoor grilling party as "a barbeque" even when no actual barbequeing is occurring.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    And then Burger King confuses things further with "flame broiled."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    But because the US can't resist being confusing, we frequently refer to an outdoor grilling party as "a barbeque" even when no actual barbequeing is occurring.

We just call that a cookout in Pennsylvania

Maybe a picnic if there are multiple tables or multiple grills

• Options
    Colloquially, you can use a flat-top style cooking surface (like a griddle) to grill, and technically that is correct (see also: Cheese, Grilled), but we try not to talk about it too much because it starts fights.

I'll fight you!

• Options
    Is a grilled cheese sandwich a sandwich of grilled cheese, or is it a cheese sandwich that you grill, or maybe a grilled sandwich that you cheese?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Is a grilled cheese sandwich a sandwich of grilled cheese, or is it a cheese sandwich that you grill, or maybe a grilled sandwich that you cheese?

It's a cheesed grill that you sandwich.

• Options
    Actually it's a hot dog.

• Options

A cheese sandwich that you griddle, usually.
    Jedoc wrote: »
    And then Burger King confuses things further with "flame broiled."

I believe they are actually cooked on both top and bottom, so this is partially accurate!

• Options

According to alton brown, it's the first

It's one of the few things I disagree with him on

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah you're grilling the bread too so it's a cheese sandwich you grill imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Is a grilled cheese sandwich barbecue?

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    slow cooked grilled cheese just falling off the bone

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    m!ttens wrote: »

only if you used smoked cheese

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »

only if you used smoked cheese

Yeah otherwise the cooking method would be too and slow for a proper Maillard reaction from the fat on the outside of the bread.

Pro-tip: Use mayo instead of butter. Sooooo good

• Options
    People still make grilled cheese with butter?

This discussion has been closed.