As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I refuse to believe that any kind of basic canola oil is special enough to be worth calling it "Scottish rapeseed oil." Just no.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    actual haggis sounds way more appetizing to me than anything with that many mushrooms in it

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I made some ice cream today!
    I used this recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vanilla-ice-cream/

Instead of a vanilla bean, I used three teaspoons of homemade vanilla extract ( recipe here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/01/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/ ). It was pretty good! I'm gonna make it again, probably with 2/3 of the sugar and less egg yolks, it did end up tasting a little eggy. I might increase the amount of vanilla extract, because my palate is probably distorted by years and years of storebought ice cream.

I will most definitely chop up some roasted walnuts (maybe make candied walnuts?) and put those in there

Just a small caveat around cutting sugar: the sugar in the ice cream base helps to prevent ice crystals from forming too quickly while you're churning, so if you don't have enough sugar then your ice cream can get really hard and not have that amazing creamy mouthfeel. If you do want to cut the sugar a bit, a splash of hard liquor and subbing some sugar for corn syrup can help.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    corn syrup is also just sugar though so

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

Not exactly. Depending on the type of corn syrup being used, it can actually have a much lower relative sweetness than sucrose. If you can come up with something other than HFCS, subbing some in could help a bit.

https://owlsoft.com/pdf_docs/WhitePaper/Rel_Sweet.pdf

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    m!ttens wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I made some ice cream today!
    I used this recipe: https://www.davidlebovitz.com/vanilla-ice-cream/

Instead of a vanilla bean, I used three teaspoons of homemade vanilla extract ( recipe here: https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/01/make-your-own-vanilla-extract/ ). It was pretty good! I'm gonna make it again, probably with 2/3 of the sugar and less egg yolks, it did end up tasting a little eggy. I might increase the amount of vanilla extract, because my palate is probably distorted by years and years of storebought ice cream.

I will most definitely chop up some roasted walnuts (maybe make candied walnuts?) and put those in there

Just a small caveat around cutting sugar: the sugar in the ice cream base helps to prevent ice crystals from forming too quickly while you're churning, so if you don't have enough sugar then your ice cream can get really hard and not have that amazing creamy mouthfeel. If you do want to cut the sugar a bit, a splash of hard liquor and subbing some sugar for corn syrup can help.

Interesting! I didn't know that.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Ketar wrote: »

Not exactly. Depending on the type of corn syrup being used, it can actually have a much lower relative sweetness than sucrose. If you can come up with something other than HFCS, subbing some in could help a bit.

https://owlsoft.com/pdf_docs/WhitePaper/Rel_Sweet.pdf

Usually the difference between disaccharide and monosaccharide is that the disaccharides are generally less sweet. The more complex the carbohydrate, the less sweet it tends to be. Starch, for example, hardly tastes sweet until you digest it with amylase present in your saliva. Grab a cracker and hold it in your mouth and it'll get sweeter over time as your saliva digests it. It's a fun bit of chemistry.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Ice cream update: it tastes better today...is that a thing? Am I losing my mind?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Baking protip: replacing my bowl with a clear food storage container has made the rising process much more satisfying.

vdpjoy1lf72y.png

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I really need to get back into bread. It really doesn't take long and boy is fresh bread good.

My problem is that I need to figure out how to get it shaped more like a loaf like you'd get at the store.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I recently acquired some more kitchen storage space, so I should really buy a giant rising tub to avoid the Creature from the Black Lagoon yeast-fest that happened last time.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    I recently acquired some more kitchen storage space, so I should really buy a giant rising tub to avoid the Creature from the Black Lagoon yeast-fest that happened last time.

break through a tenant separation wall and into the adjoining units cabinets?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I really need to get back into bread. It really doesn't take long and boy is fresh bread good.

My problem is that I need to figure out how to get it shaped more like a loaf like you'd get at the store.

I recently bought a pullman loaf pan that makes satisfyingly square bread. It's got a lid that slides over the top that keeps the bread all squooshed down inside.

So far I prefer my regular bulbous sandwich loaf for my breakfast toast because it's got a lighter crumb, but I really like the pullman bread for packing sandwiches.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    That looks perfect!

we go through a lot of bread. I'd love to make it cheaper, healthier, and tastier

• Options
    In that case, yeah. The 2 pound pan I linked should be right up your alley. It's like a foot and a goddamn half long, and I have to freeze half the loaf when I bake it.

I'm currently using the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bread Bible:
    Ingredient:
    • 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour, preferably King Arthur
    • 1/4 cup dry whole milk
    • 1 tablespoons dry instant yeast
    • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 1/2 cups water (70 to 90 degrees)
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons salt

In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the flour, dry milk and yeast. Add the butter and mix with the dough hook on low speed (No. 2 if using Kitchen Aid), then add the water, honey, and salt. When all the flour is moistened, raise the speed to medium (No. 4 on KA) and beat for 7 minutes. The dough will be smooth, shiny and slightly sticky to the touch. If the dough is not stiff, knead in a little flour. If it is not at all sticky, spray it with a little water and knead it in.

On a lightly floured counter, shape the dough into a football shape. Flour the top and cover it with plastic wrap. Allow to relax for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and gently deflate the dough, using your fingertips to spread it into a rectangle about 10-by-8 inches wide. Flour the counter as necessary to keep it from sticking.

Give the dough a turn, then press or roll it out again to about 12-by-5 inches and shape it into a 16-inch loaf. Set it in the prepared pan. Grease the TOP of the pan (underside) and slide it into place, leaving it a few inches ajar so that you can gauge the progress of the rising dough.

Cover the exposed area with plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until it is about 1/2 inch below the top of the lid, about 1 to 11/2 hours. When the dough is pressed with a fingertip, the depression will very slowly fill in.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. (Do not use an oven stone.) Bake for 30 minutes. Gently slide off the lid and continue baking about 30 minutes or until browned. Remove bread from the oven and unmold it onto a large wire rack. Cool it top side up until barely warm, about 1 hour to make for easier slicing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The beer and flour is sitting to autolyse for like 3 hours now

I already have the starter I'm going to use measured out. Just gotta add water and salt and mix it with the rest of the dough and let that sit overnight.

• Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    In that case, yeah. The 2 pound pan I linked should be right up your alley. It's like a foot and a goddamn half long, and I have to freeze half the loaf when I bake it.

I'm currently using the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Bread Bible:
    Ingredient:
    • 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour, preferably King Arthur
    • 1/4 cup dry whole milk
    • 1 tablespoons dry instant yeast
    • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
    • 1 1/2 cups water (70 to 90 degrees)
    • 2 tablespoons honey
    • 2 teaspoons salt

In a large mixer bowl, whisk together the flour, dry milk and yeast. Add the butter and mix with the dough hook on low speed (No. 2 if using Kitchen Aid), then add the water, honey, and salt. When all the flour is moistened, raise the speed to medium (No. 4 on KA) and beat for 7 minutes. The dough will be smooth, shiny and slightly sticky to the touch. If the dough is not stiff, knead in a little flour. If it is not at all sticky, spray it with a little water and knead it in.

On a lightly floured counter, shape the dough into a football shape. Flour the top and cover it with plastic wrap. Allow to relax for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the plastic wrap and gently deflate the dough, using your fingertips to spread it into a rectangle about 10-by-8 inches wide. Flour the counter as necessary to keep it from sticking.

Give the dough a turn, then press or roll it out again to about 12-by-5 inches and shape it into a 16-inch loaf. Set it in the prepared pan. Grease the TOP of the pan (underside) and slide it into place, leaving it a few inches ajar so that you can gauge the progress of the rising dough.

Cover the exposed area with plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise until it is about 1/2 inch below the top of the lid, about 1 to 11/2 hours. When the dough is pressed with a fingertip, the depression will very slowly fill in.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. (Do not use an oven stone.) Bake for 30 minutes. Gently slide off the lid and continue baking about 30 minutes or until browned. Remove bread from the oven and unmold it onto a large wire rack. Cool it top side up until barely warm, about 1 hour to make for easier slicing.

excellent!

dry whole milk?

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Milk powder probably

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    huh

I've heard of evaporated milk and condensed milk, but milk powder is a new one on me!

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    I went to a creamery that is renowned in Quebec, a province renowned for its dairy.

They had a soft serve machine.

Got some 15% cream, gonna see if I can find some nice tomatoes at a farmers' market to make a killer rosé sauce

• Options
    huh

I've heard of evaporated milk and condensed milk, but milk powder is a new one on me!

Yeah, dry whole milk is just any of the powdered milks you find on the baking aisle rather than the cereal aisle. It's easier for baking because the heated roller process that gets rid of all the moisture also denatures a protein in milk that interferes with the yeast's CO2 production.

There's a fancy baker's version, but I could never detect much of a difference between it and the plain old Carnation stuff you should be able to find at your grocery store.

If you don't want to mess with it, you can substitute a cup of scalded milk for a cup of water and a quarter cup of powdered milk in your recipe. Scalding denatures the protein in the same way as powdering does.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    I went to a creamery that is renowned in Quebec, a province renowned for its dairy.

Got some 15% cream, gonna see if I can find some nice tomatoes at a farmers' market to make a killer rosé sauce

Which one is that?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    huh

Yeah, dry whole milk is just any of the powdered milks you find on the baking aisle rather than the cereal aisle. It's easier for baking because the heated roller process that gets rid of all the moisture also denatures a protein in milk that interferes with the yeast's CO2 production.

There's a fancy baker's version, but I could never detect much of a difference between it and the plain old Carnation stuff you should be able to find at your grocery store.

If you don't want to mess with it, you can substitute a cup of scalded milk for a cup of water and a quarter cup of powdered milk in your recipe. Scalding denatures the protein in the same way as powdering does.

That's not really a fancy version, just an alternate from another company that tries to sell as many different baking ingredients as they can.

In pastry school we just used the Carnation stuff, even though all of our flours came from King Arthur.

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

Which one is that?

St-Fidèle. I got a solid one pound block of squeaky poutine cheese and a swiss that was the best lactose free cheese I've ever had.

I visited Tadoussac as well, such an amazing place! I had no idea this kind of terrain existed, much less was here in Quebec
    d8s5bs0udbq1.jpeg

Those tiny dots on the dune are people! It's like a few hundred meters tall easily, and super soft sand. I took the photo from about a kilometer out onto the tidal flats.. But the crazy thing is it's right on the edge of dense forest! Never seen desert and forest so intertwined like this.

Got introduced to the surprisingly zen fun of dune running, where you take massive loping strides through the air down the steep dune at speed, it feels like walking on the moon!

• Options
    I think the ratio might be off for this recipe I was following. Once I added my starter and a bit of water it got real soupy. It's possible my scale is wonky or my high hydration starter might just have been a little difficult to incorporate or both...

I added about 30 more grams of flour and it came together but it's really really wet still. Even tossed it in my stand mixer to work it for like 10 minutes.

Hopefully it'll be fine once I rest it fold it and let it rest for overnight.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular

Which one is that?

St-Fidèle. I got a solid one pound block of squeaky poutine cheese and a swiss that was the best lactose free cheese I've ever had.

I visited Tadoussac as well, such an amazing place! I had no idea this kind of terrain existed, much less was here in Quebec
    d8s5bs0udbq1.jpeg

Those tiny dots on the dune are people! It's like a few hundred meters tall easily, and super soft sand. I took the photo from about a kilometer out onto the tidal flats.. But the crazy thing is it's right on the edge of dense forest! Never seen desert and forest so intertwined like this.

Got introduced to the surprisingly zen fun of dune running, where you take massive loping strides through the air down the steep dune at speed, it feels like walking on the moon!

Hmmmmmmm that's a 5 hour drive away

Is it realllly good cheese/ice cream?

• Options
    Ok now that the dough has rested a bit more I can handle it enough to stretch and fold it if I wet my hands a bit.

Imma do that every hour until I go to bed then give it overnight to rise.

Anyone have luck using a pan of hot water in the lower rack of the oven instead of a Dutch oven? Because I don't have one still and don't want to mess with using a metal bowl as a makeshift ill fitted lid.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So my kid found the cans of beans in the pantry.

"Mommy! I love beans! i want to eat them!"

so now I need to make some kind of bean soup this weekend.

Anybody have any handy ideas? recipes? thoughts? Otherwise it's just gonna be toss the beans in the slow cooker with some canned tomatoes, garlic, and go from there.

• Options

Anybody have any handy ideas? recipes? thoughts? Otherwise it's just gonna be toss the beans in the slow cooker with some canned tomatoes, garlic, and go from there.

this will be a good start!

https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/ham-and-bean-soup-recipe

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    You can add a bit more salt to stiffen the dough up if it doesn't feel right. Baking is a magic spell

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    Ok now that the dough has rested a bit more I can handle it enough to stretch and fold it if I wet my hands a bit.

Imma do that every hour until I go to bed then give it overnight to rise.

Anyone have luck using a pan of hot water in the lower rack of the oven instead of a Dutch oven? Because I don't have one still and don't want to mess with using a metal bowl as a makeshift ill fitted lid.

I don't do sourdough, but I do steam up the oven to make for a crispier top crust. Just toss half a dozen ice cubes into a metal pan on the bottom rack so the steam is released more slowly.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Hmm. Other than the whole pork thing. That might work.

• Options

Hmm. Other than the whole pork thing. That might work.

oohhh

one sec!

Here you go!

• Options

Which one is that?

d8s5bs0udbq1.jpeg

Hmmmmmmm that's a 5 hour drive away

Is it realllly good cheese/ice cream?

The cheese is very tasty, and it's easily the best soft serve I've ever had

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

What kinda beans we talkin’ about here?

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

The magical fruit, saru.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    pinfeldorf doesn't know what beans are, don't let him trick you with his fun songs

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Zekkan confirmed someone who doesn’t want to feel better

• Options
    sarukun wrote: »

well she originally asked for the red beans.

but then said, no the black beans.

then she pulled the can of white beans out to show me. So who even really knows.

I should check the menu at daycare and see if they give the kids baked beans for a meal.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Split the difference, make her green beans.

This discussion has been closed.