As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Haloumiiiiii give it

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    So wife is out of town on business, which means I get to eat red meat again, at least for a few days. Saturday night I made some venison tenderloin with polenta and stir fried broccoli. Last night I did a beef tongue sous vide for 24 hours at 170F, cubed up and crisped in the cast iron for some amazing lengua tacos. Honestly, there is no better single taco out there than a perfectly executed lengua taco with cilantro, onions, and an ancho-chipotle salsa.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I cannot remember which thread it was where we were talking about spiced coffee, but today; I added pumpkin pie spice to the latest batch of cold brew coffee I am steeping. About two tablespoons to 500 g of ground coffee

I added about half a teaspoon of dried cayenne pepper powder too.

I will report the results on Wednesday.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    So wife is out of town on business, which means I get to eat red meat again, at least for a few days. Saturday night I made some venison tenderloin with polenta and stir fried broccoli. Last night I did a beef tongue sous vide for 24 hours at 170F, cubed up and crisped in the cast iron for some amazing lengua tacos. Honestly, there is no better single taco out there than a perfectly executed lengua taco with cilantro, onions, and an ancho-chipotle salsa.

I'm gonna have to go with buche #1, lengua #2.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    It is pretty amazing how delicious grilled food is just because it's grilled. If I had more space and more time to justify the purchase, I'd totally get a tiny little outdoor grill.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    delicious, delicious carcinogens

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I steeped/brewed that cold brew for 24 hours. I mixed the concentrate with water at a 1:3 ratio. It's very good! Not too spicy or too pumpkin pie spiced, just a little bit of spiciness. I think it will be delicious when it's cold.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I steeped/brewed that cold brew for 24 hours. I mixed the concentrate with water at a 1:3 ratio. It's very good! Not too spicy or too pumpkin pie spiced, just a little bit of spiciness. I think it will be delicious when it's cold.

I imagine a heavier spiced version would go well with a bit of cream.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I imagine a heavier spiced version would go well with a bit of cream.

Yeah, I may double both spices later in the year and mix it with some almond milk

I'm mildly lactose intolerant

• Options
    Making up some Blackberry Cobbler with fresh picked blackberries. It's bubbling nicely in the oven.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am making a batch of recado negro to marinade chicken. Tomorrow I'll grill it, slice it thin, and serve it on fresh corn tortillas with homemade tomatillo salsa, lime, black beans, white onion, and sour cream

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    so half of the alton brown granola recipe is going to be enough to give me a week's worth of granola just for myself for breakfasts.

That sounds pretty damned good. I can't wait to play around with the flavours some more.

Although I think I'll try to go just straight honey, and not molasses. it's good! but can be a bit on the bitter side (combined with the slightly over toastedness) so is at times too much.

I'm attempting to use my bread machine again today. last time was a disaster. water was too cold and the yeast was dead.

Could I bloom the yeast in the water first and then add it to the machine? Do you think that would work ok?

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Blooming the yeast shouldn't hurt, since the party doesn't really get started until the sugar arrives.

It might be unnecessary, though. The rapid-rise or instant yeast called for in bread machine recipes is specifically designed to not require blooming, so I'd recommend upping the water temperature in your dough as a first troubleshooting step. And given the different enzymes and additives in different brands of rapid-rise yeast, it's possible that it could end up activating more than you'd like and waste valuable gas potential just floating around the bowl.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I made some chili with venison tenderloin pieces, a teaspoon of Hot Ones The Last Dab Redux, I think, some salsa, some diced tomatoes, some homemade spaghetti sauce, two cans of black beans, a can of corn and some dried peppers

It's spicy as all fuck and delicious

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    it's working!

The bread is rising and baking and smells amazing.

and that's with me forgetting to put the paddle into the stupid thing and having to reach down into the layers of water and flour and put the paddle in.

I can do this!

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I made some chili with venison tenderloin pieces, a teaspoon of Hot Ones The Last Dab Redux, I think, some salsa, some diced tomatoes, some homemade spaghetti sauce, two cans of black beans, a can of corn and some dried peppers

It's spicy as all fuck and delicious

Not to be contrarian, but do you dislike the gameyness of venison in general? Throwing one of the best cuts of the deer in a chili, especially the one with the least amount of fat/connective tissues is kind of a waste of that cut, imho. It's like throwing filet mignon in chili or a stew. Usually with the small tenderloin is best off with a real quick hard sear on both sides and done, maybe finish with a deglazed pan sauce.

• Options
    No, I enjoy venison. I need to make some room in my freezer for this coming season.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Moving this over from the bad food thread since I did some actual cooking:
    Brainleech wrote: »
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Bacon is overrated and underappreciated.

Pork is where it's at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKihmJJeLy8

damn I'm making this tomorrow this looks so good

maybe with rice instead of ravioli though

Took me a little longer to get around to this than I meant to, but I finally made this last night for my family and didn't even fuck it up enough to greatly impact the dish! I don't cook very often and am not very confident in my skill, so making something like this and everyone liking it a lot was a big confidence-booster for me. It was really just as good as I had imagined it would be when I first saw that video. Served it with rice and steamed green beans. Definitely gonna make it again soon. Lessons I learned: needed the pan to be a little hotter when I put in the porkchops, as the first side I cooked didn't brown at all, and needed a little bit less salt. I got lucky and didn't quite oversalt it for my tastes but I was right on the verge of it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Moving this over from the bad food thread since I did some actual cooking:
    Brainleech wrote: »
    kilnborn wrote: »
    Bacon is overrated and underappreciated.

Pork is where it's at
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKihmJJeLy8

damn I'm making this tomorrow this looks so good

maybe with rice instead of ravioli though

Took me a little longer to get around to this than I meant to, but I finally made this last night for my family and didn't even fuck it up enough to greatly impact the dish! I don't cook very often and am not very confident in my skill, so making something like this and everyone liking it a lot was a big confidence-booster for me. It was really just as good as I had imagined it would be when I first saw that video. Served it with rice and steamed green beans. Definitely gonna make it again soon. Lessons I learned: needed the pan to be a little hotter when I put in the porkchops, as the first side I cooked didn't brown at all, and needed a little bit less salt. I got lucky and didn't quite oversalt it for my tastes but I was right on the verge of it.

Another quick tip for getting some good searing is to make sure your protein is dry when it hits the hot pan. Salting is definitely something that you develop an instinctual feel for over time.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Had aubergine 'tacos' tonight. They were really tasty. I should eat aubergine more often. It just soaks up flavour like a sponge.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Okay I only need to use a few ounces of this can of condensed milk

Can I just wrap the top with plastic wrap and save it in the fridge?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The best way to store condensed milk is to turn it into caramel and store it in your tummy

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Yes, for a while. Smof is right, though, it's a good basis for a lot of desserts, so if you don't have any pressing need for the rest of it id look into baking something or making dulce de leche

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Yes, for a while. Smof is right, though, it's a good basis for a lot of desserts, so if you don't have any pressing need for the rest of it id look into baking something or making dulce de leche

Ah yeah, see I was going to make a cafe bombon since I've always wanted to try one. Figured I would save the rest for more if I liked it.

But actually dulce de leche sounds good too... I forgot you could make that with condensed milk.

• Options
    I wish I had a dish suited to make some kinda custard in, a basic custard with dulce de leche on top sounds nice.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I wish I had a dish suited to make some kinda custard in, a basic custard with dulce de leche on top sounds nice.

Check to see if any grocery stores in your area have something like these with the other aluminum pans in the baking section: https://www.amazon.com/Made-Aluminum-Ramekin-Disposable-Baking/dp/B0773SV6L4/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1566507555&refinements=p_n_material_browse:316625011&s=kitchen&sr=1-6&th=1

You can just use those and have individually portioned custard/creme brulee/flan/whatever. You might be able to get a more reasonable quantity of them for just a few bucks.

• Options
    Chicken came out perfect

It's not burnt, that's the recado negro. Great flavor. Not too spicy, but you know it's there

u9oiopn1agqp.jpg

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Teh tarik is also an option, it is condensed milk added to strong tea and then frothed by pouring from one vessel to another.

• Options
    Tried tempeh for the first time yesterday. It was, like most of these sorts of things when I have them for the first time, fine. Not great, not terrible. I could probably learn to make it taste better but like with all the fake-meat things I've tried so far I don't really see the point.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I really don't like tempeh... I've only tried it twice, but wasn't a fan either time.

I'm a big fan of veggie burgers that aren't trying to be burger-like, though. The texture and flavor are miles ahead, and they're delicious.

Southwest black bean flavor?? Hell yes give that to me

• Options
    theres a local place here that does some bitchin' tempeh hot wings. The tempeh is perfectly tender and really soaks up the sauces. I'm a big fan.

• Options
    I really don't like tempeh... I've only tried it twice, but wasn't a fan either time.

I'm a big fan of veggie burgers that aren't trying to be burger-like, though. The texture and flavor are miles ahead, and they're delicious.

Southwest black bean flavor?? Hell yes give that to me

I need to make another batch of the lentil and mushroom burgers I made a week or 2 ago. They were banging.

• Options
    Finally got off my duff and put together a little drying station for my sumac =)

zatp3cibkiia.jpg

Few weeks should do I'd imagine

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Tried tempeh for the first time yesterday. It was, like most of these sorts of things when I have them for the first time, fine. Not great, not terrible. I could probably learn to make it taste better but like with all the fake-meat things I've tried so far I don't really see the point.
    Like tofu, tempeh isn’t really meant to be a meat replacement in its original context.
    I’ve bought pre packed tempeh and it’s fine, but fresh fermented then fried tempeh (either home made or from an Indonesian restaurant) is amazing, super crispy on the outside with a delicious nutty flavour.
    I really should make some tempeh again...

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I are looking into purchasing a pressure cooker. Any recommendations?

Our only requirement is that it's IH-capable, and we're thinking around 4L in size. What we'd like to avoid are any models or types that are notoriously difficult to clean - neither of us have owned one before.

• Options
    I like my sunbeam 7-in-1 cooker. kinda like an instapot, just a different brand. it does slow cooker, boiling, other things, pressure cooking etc

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I should also add we're looking for a stovetop pressure cooker instead of a dedicated appliance, so no electronic pressure cookers.

• Options
    oh. I totally cannot help.

the D&D thread usually has good equipment folks.

• Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    Epicurious has a fairly recent article (April, 2019) on the best stovetop pressure cookers:

https://epicurious.com/expert-advice/the-best-stovetop-pressure-cooker-product-review-article

I use an electric, so can't offer any input.

This discussion has been closed.