As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    I made a 1.5 quart batch of soy milk eggnog two nights ago because one of my coworkers told me he's never been able to try it due to lactose intolerance. He also said it always sounded gross due to the idea of drinking eggs. I told him he was missing out and that I'd prove it to him.

I fully expected to have to call over other departments to help finish it (because who wants SOY eggnog except maybe me and two other people? )...

Turns out I barely made enough for my team alone, it was a huge hit! :biggrin: My aforementioned coworker, upon taking his first nervous sip, paused for a second afterwards and then said, "yeah, this is fuckin' delicious" before filling his cup to the brim.

I pulled 1+ muscles beating a bowl with a dozen egg yolks and another with a dozen egg whites and then furiously beating the hot soy milk into the eggs to temper them and then again when the eggs went into the main pot and that shoulder still hurts BUT

it was 100% worth it

NightDragon on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Having an incredibly shitty day today, so I'm making a big ol' pot of stew

realised I didn't have enough stock, so I'm doing my patented "cook it for a long time" method, combined with my "put everything in the fridge in it" method

thankfully stew is robust enough that I can put in this little effort with the actual recipe and probably still get a good result without resorting to making vegetable stock first

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I've got a whole chicken in the slow cooker and later on I've got some potato, carrot and parsnip to roast. We just had scrambled egg on sun dried tomato and pepper bread. I may also bake a cake in a bit. And we're drinking Bucks Fizz.

It's shaping up to be a pretty good Sunday.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

this year's gin and boiled pineapple fruitcake. the base recipe is a classic banger and super easy. i got two loaf-sized cakes out last night and have enough ingredients for another later. i'd love to think it's a venture about sharing but really it's about two weeks of delicious irresponsible breakfasts

Hmm, I know what I'm making this week.

What temp did you bake it at? I'm not sure what a moderately slow oven is.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    The baking begins: mini stollen and cinnamon rolls made from yufka dough. A weird thing happened with the rolls - the dough gets brushed with a butter/brown sugar/ cinnamon/cardamom/orange mixture, which thickened for some reason, without having the sugar crystals quite dissolve and turn into actual caramel or sth, but the second batch turned out much better! Images courtesy of my bff who I've baked this with, she was smart enough to remember taking them at all :D
    spoilered for size
    3q9exxcb2blx.jpg
    q8billrsve0m.jpg
    hql6ykqhcqzp.jpg

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I am legitimately excited for my experimental sausage.

2.5lbs pork butt
    20g salt
    2g black pepper
    20g gently sauteed cipollini onions
    50g black trumpet mushrooms reconstituted in white wine and sauteed briefly
    1/4 cup of the black trumpet infused white wine

It smells incredible

I'm leaving that and 4 other kinds of sausage to grind and link tomorrow night

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Heh. Pork butt.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    I've got a whole chicken in the slow cooker and later on I've got some potato, carrot and parsnip to roast. We just had scrambled egg on sun dried tomato and pepper bread. I may also bake a cake in a bit. And we're drinking Bucks Fizz.

It's shaping up to be a pretty good Sunday.

Well I couldn't be bothered with baking the cake in the end - which I regretted once we'd eaten the roast dinner but it's all good. The chicken came out fantastic and we have over half of it left. Gonna pick up some veg on the way home tomorrow and have stir fry for dinner I think.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Also made a batch of harissa to use in lieu of roasted red peppers inside merguez (a kind of lamb sausage)

I'm hoping the sausage holds up because it seems like it might be a bit too liquidy when cooked

At the very least it'll taste amazing

Xaquin on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular

this year's gin and boiled pineapple fruitcake. the base recipe is a classic banger and super easy. i got two loaf-sized cakes out last night and have enough ingredients for another later. i'd love to think it's a venture about sharing but really it's about two weeks of delicious irresponsible breakfasts

Hmm, I know what I'm making this week.

What temp did you bake it at? I'm not sure what a moderately slow oven is.

~170c for a bit over an hour. they were deep, brick-like wads though, so they took longer than usual to cook through. the 'does the knife come out clean?' trick works well, but you don't want to dry it out so keep checking

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Some friends and I had a Chum-nas dinner last night, which ended up being a ridiculous amount of food including a roast beef, a roast ham, cauliflower cheese, two salads, and two different types of roast potato. For five people.

My contribution was a pavlova. Last years’ pav was matcha flavoured, so this year I added some orange blossom water which resulted in one of my friends yelling ‘Fuck!’ after the first bite because he liked it so much.

ioomuzjx303e.jpeg

Of course there was an extra dessert, which was a steamed chocolate pudding with a whole steamed orange in the middle and served with liquid ganache.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made white chili tonight

prptsJA.jpg?1

Stew might be a more appropriate word given the consistency of the final result, but it was delicious and hardy regardless

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Jeni's recipe for maple ice cream with salted buttered nuts makes my fourth ice cream hit in a row in the last two months

Awww yeah

And weirdly enough people also really enjoy the gingerbread cookies I made. I think gingerbread is a mediocre cookie that happens to be great for decorating, so I was surprised that people actually... y'know... ate them.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    alright peeps share your ideas for awesome christmas dinner menus

I am deciding this year

don't want to do turkey

so maybe a roast? a pork tenderloin? a ham? i'm leaning toward ham to make it easy and then try some bombass sides

some ideas I'm thinking about:

sweet potatoes (of course)
    brussels sprouts
    potatoes some way other than mashed - hasselback perhaps??
    some kinda good homemade rolls

what are you all planning?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Rib roast or beef tenderloin with wine sauce are my family's go-to Christmas dishes.

We also have vegetarians so we make a ludicrously bad for you vegetable lasagna fairly often.

All other sides vary based on how over-the-top people feel in a given year (it is usually extremely over-the-top, one year there was an entire smoked duck as a SIDE DISH).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2018
    Last year I did a giant lamb rendang
    a previous excursion included lobster, a side of salmon, and fried prawn wontons with about six salads

this year's menu still unclear, may depend on the weather

tynic on
  • Options
    I vote for pork tenderloin because I love pork tenderloin!

Also, I made a batch of harissa today

Where has this been all my life!?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm a fan of Ham for christmas partially because it's tradition and also partly because, if you're not hosting a formal sit down, then you just get some nice sandwich rolls and a deli cheese tray and just slice up the ham and folks can come and go as they please and hey, nice ass ham and cheese sandwiches!

This is my go-to suggestion for empty nesters. Then you tell folks bring their own side dish.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    my mum's house is infested with vegetarians over christmas so we usually have a mushroom wellington, with a BBQ baked ham for the desperate carnivores. the wellington is secretly my favourite with a rich gravy and stuffing and brussel sprouts...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    My family christmases growing up mostly alternated between my Dad’s family and my Mum’s house.

Dad’s would do the super traditional Anglo-Aussie spread with green salad, a couple of roasts (usually beef or lamb), roast veggies, cauliflower cheese, pavlova, a lot of seafood, and a ridiculous amount of cheesecakes.

My Mum always did a pavlova, but side dishes and mains could be almost anything - the main ones I remember over the years are:

•beef gorillo roast wrapped in porcini mushrooms and chilli pancetta (the gravy made from the juices of this roast was fucking amazing)
    •watermelon, feta, and mint salad
    •barbecued fish stuffed with rice, almonds, and dried apricots
    •Roast stuffed mushrooms
    •Fresh oysters and prawns
    •Roast chicken seasoned with Spanish style spice mix and served with home made garlic quince paste
    •Caprese salad
    •Plum pudding ice cream (vanilla ice cream partially thawed and mixed through with brandy soaked nuts and fruits and refrozen)
    •Halloumi and peach skewers barbecued then sprinkled with dukkah
    •Gin and tonic sorbet (I made that one and was very proud of it)

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Hold up what's cauliflower cheese

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hold up what's cauliflower cheese

It's more of a cheese-sauce delivery mechanism than an actual vegetable dish. Whip up your best cheese sauce (Delia's roux with a shit-tonne of at least three different types of cheeses works best), tip if over some par-boiled chopped-up cauliflower and bung that in the oven until it's cooked, brown and gooey.

A recipe, if necessary

It's healthy, because it's a vegetable.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    my mum's house is infested with vegetarians over christmas so we usually have a mushroom wellington, with a BBQ baked ham for the desperate carnivores. the wellington is secretly my favourite with a rich gravy and stuffing and brussel sprouts...

I had no idea mushroom willington existed, but I looked up some recipes and now I know what I'm making for Christmas this year

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I would love to have goose for Christmas dinner and it used to be the traditional thing here and it causes me anguish that nobody really does it. Goose/duck is so far superior to turkey it's ridiculous.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    A standing rib roast is pretty much always a hit

Ham is a personal fave, and a relatively low-effort go to that everyone will still love

But having nothing to do with that awful movie, my #1 is duck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would love to have goose for Christmas dinner and it used to be the traditional thing here and it causes me anguish that nobody really does it. Goose/duck is so far superior to turkey it's ridiculous.

I finally live close enough to a local butcher that will source odd meats by request but it costs a fortune compared to just roasting a turkey or chicken instead.

Though they do sell alligator maybe I can make that a new christmas tradition.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    "Traditional" Christmas dinner at my place for a long time has been steaks on the grill and baked potatoes.
    Something easy to cook and easier to clean up, because parents don't want to clean up a messy kitchen after waking up at Santa o'clock on Christmas morning, and trying to get the kids to do anything was more of an effort than cleaning the kitchen.
    Seemed to work out pretty well, so long as it's not too cold for grilling (and, having had to shovel the deck for said grilling on more than one occasion, I'm not sure what "Too Cold" is in these circumstances).

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Well, my sister had a bad duck-eating experience this year which caused her to get nauseated when thinking about duck meat, so she asked me if I could just prepare another bird (preferably chicken) this christmas. Sure, I'll do that, but goddang I'll make a duck as well and try to cure that ailment!
    I have a recipe that sounds delicious, basically braising the bird in a beer/sugar/soy/star anis mixture. The only downside would be the lack of a crispy skin, so I'm thinking of braising it in a casserole, covered, and just broil the breast side at the very end to get the best of both worlds?
    We'll see how that turns out.

As for sides, I'll put it to the vote as well. I crave brussel sprouts of some sort though, and you never can eat enough veggies anyway.

e: and uh, I'll have to do another round of baking. Pecan cookies and cinnamon rolls (think the IKEA variant)

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Can you spatchcock a duck? I can't imagine why not.

Also I believe adding some baking soda to a glaze can help add some crispiness yo the final product, but you may need to balance the taste out with something.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You can spatchcock anything. Duck, chicken, turkey, human, F-150. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

• Options
    I spatchcooked a spatchula once

it was terrible

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Ham would be most traditional for me, but for the last 7 or 8 years my Uncle has been making a giant standing rib roast in addition to a small ham. Almost always the roast is accompanied by Yorkshire Pudding which I'm kind of indifferent to depending on how that years batch comes out.

This year I'm going to a second Christmas party with my Mom's boyfriend's family, and that's going to be a mixed vegan and vegetarian dinner. I'm actually pretty curious about what we're going to have.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    You can spatchcock anything. Duck, chicken, turkey, human, F-150. Don't let your dreams be dreams.

Swnd me your spatchcock F150 recipe pla. Also i am likely to sub an old B2 so if you can account for that

• Options
    Just finished making 10lbs of sausage

2.5 lbs of four different varieties including one of my own invention!

Thoughts:

I make GOOD sausage. I SUCK at linking sausage though I think I'll get it eventually.

The sausage I invented is the best sausage I have ever eaten. I suspect it will be the same for everyone who tries it because it's that good.

I made Jagerwurst, Chicken and sage, and Merguez. I still need to smoke the Jagerwurst and chicken sage. The merguez is incredible. I used homemade harissa in lieu of red peppers.

That said, I'm never making 4 kinds of sausage in one night again. Too much cleaning required

g2ih33al8nvb.jpg

uyjmzmo4xxh4.jpg

2892p0u4fgzb.jpg

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    That cutting board is both horrifying and apt

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    is there a phrase like "memento mori" except to remind us we're all just made out of meat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    is there a phrase like "memento mori" except to remind us we're all just made out of meat

memento carne?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've had that at mexican restaurants

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I've had that at mexican restaurants

mine usually flares up at about 11 the next morning

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I SUCK at linking sausage

The pictorial evidence contradicts this assertion