As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I love just throwing garlic, onions, bell pepper and mushrooms in a pan and sauteing em up. The result is inevitably delicious.

Made a sort of stir fry with beef and soy sauce, sesame seed oil and hot sauce. Gonna just ladle it over some rice and have a good time.

You can never really go wrong with throwing some aromatics + protein in a pan

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    My brain-dead dinner is roasting a pan of onions, quartered red potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and chicken thighs with some soy sauce dumped over the top. You got to par-boil the potatoes ahead of time, but otherwise it's a dead easy one-dish dinner all week.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I am a terrible cook because I sit between being too lazy and too perfectionist.

Sometimes I can pull off something really good and tasty when I get the hyper focus for trying something new but I never enjoy cleaning up and inevitably never make it again. I also don't enjoy leftovers because they always taste... Bad somehow?

You know what though. Some pork schnitzel sounds good this week.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm also making that chipotle chicken tinga again but this time I'm making it as a soup. I might bake the last of my corn tortillas and then throw them in there when it's done.

• Options
    If I didn't have to clean up after myself I'd be a fucking gourmand.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Ooh pork schnitzel huh... hmm think I wanna make something like that this week

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    My Kingdom for a dishwasher.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I have a small apartment so ymmv but I try to make cooking time cleaning time as well.

So if I'm done with a pot it gets scrubbed and put away while something is simmering. Or I'll sweep and wipe off countertops while the oven is heating up or whatever.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love cooking and don't have time to do it as much as I'd like, so I usually try and cook batches of things that taste better the next day.
    Beef rendang is pretty good on night one, but it is fucking extraordinary twelve hours later.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I also have a small apartment, my kitchen is maybe 4 by 10 feet. I have a dishwasher, I'm just lazy but also pans and stuff don't fit in it since it is small, so anything that isn't a plate or silverware basically goes into the sink. Every meal is a game of tetris.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    I'm not 100% on this but I've heard dishwashing isn't really good for nonstick pots and pans? So I usually try to scrub em out real quick and stick them back in the cupboard.

Since you're already up and moving when you're cooking it's easier to just grab something, wash it, and then put it away.

My problem is my kitchen counter island is basically the only flat surface in my apartment so it gets keys, coats, earphone, etc etc deposited on it. So when I get ready to cook I've got all this miscellaneous clutter I gotta shift around.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    My problem with dishes is living with four people who don't ever do dishes, so if I turn my back for a second or ever stop cleaning the kitchen, when I turn around it'll look like dwarves broke into the place and threw a party while my back was turned

• Options
    Ah ok so here's what you gotta do

Kill your roommates and cook them into a roast with maybe some potatoes or green beans.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    mmmm

long pig stir fry

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    I just saw my first few Chef John videos and I’m now 100% loyal to the brand. Going to make his buttermilk pie tonight, just threw together his buttercrust and holy shit it was easy. Also going to make Meyhem Lauren’s wasabi crab mac and cheese tonight, looks great, we’ll see how it turns out.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    now you can be the Mai-Kero of your own delicious gyro

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    My problem with dishes is living with four people who don't ever do dishes, so if I turn my back for a second or ever stop cleaning the kitchen, when I turn around it'll look like dwarves broke into the place and threw a party while my back was turned

Yeah, that one thing I’ve definitely been struggling with. My partner pretty much has zero interest even stepping in the kitchen, which includes cooking it, but also cleaning, buying ingredients, and even deciding what we eat, my decision-making processed is primarily based around how much effort I want to put in, rather than what I actually might want to make.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    mrpaku wrote: »

Yeah, that one thing I’ve definitely been struggling with. My partner pretty much has zero interest even stepping in the kitchen, which includes cooking it, but also cleaning, buying ingredients, and even deciding what we eat, my decision-making processed is primarily based around how much effort I want to put in, rather than what I actually might want to make.

Yea I do most of the cooking too, and I've learned to make the most complex meals at the start of the week, especially ones that leave leftovers, then gradually get simpler as the week goes on so by the time Thursday rolls around I'm doing a simple veggie and meat saute in a quick to clean cast iron pan, that I can make in my sleep. I've definitely learned not to be ambitious by the end of the week, that's for sure.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I very much love my partner, and she used to be the primary cook of the house ten years ago, but these days she'll offer to cook on days where she thinks I seem a bit overwhelmed, and if I accept the offer and as soon as I leave the kitchen, she'll happily and unawares get to work cooking as Gallagher appears behind her, wielding a mallet and ready to blast every surface and dish in my kitchen with red sauce *aggressively*. My partner never notices or hears Gallagher doing this, and pointing out that he was there without her even noticing upsets her to the point where it just isn't worth it to ask her to cook dinner

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Had a friend come over today and we made some chicken peanut curry

LBWqHdy.jpg?1

I enjoy cooking in solitude, but working side by side in a kitchen with someone else is its own distinct pleasure

xet8c.gif

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Vice’s buffalo chicken dip and wasabi crab mac and cheese, along with chef John’s buttermilk pie:

vo30d9kusbrk.jpeg
    9dx0pgpy0xp1.jpeg
    oi7qbfgoz1yd.jpeg

Holy shit was the mac and cheese good. Also like $40 of crab meat but worth it.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    skipped my life-drawing session because it's bloody cold, went home and made a very-nearly-vegan* noodle bowl with soy tempura

*some fish sauce may have snuck in << >>

culykodr2wkz.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Okay, I just made a shockingly accurate recreation of Worcestershire sauce from hienz ketchup, soy sauce, and lemon juice. The taste was different but the smell was exact. I couldn’t believe it. I’m still somewhat in shock.

All in service of a marinade for fajita steak for quesadillas tomorrow. Should be a good day!

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    So I made this Chef John recipe the other day and it turned out well, but looked a lot different than how his does. I think a combo of using probably more honey than he did, and cooking the pork loin and veggies in separate containers in the oven let the honey melt off and then thicken into a spicy, porky kind of sauce/glaze.

I'd post a picture but I've already eaten it all.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Okay, I just made a shockingly accurate recreation of Worcestershire sauce from hienz ketchup, soy sauce, and lemon juice. The taste was different but the smell was exact. I couldn’t believe it. I’m still somewhat in shock.

All in service of a marinade for fajita steak for quesadillas tomorrow. Should be a good day!

I think Worcestershire is supposed to have a lot of sardines or chovies in it. Surprised the soy sauce hit that flavor profile!

• Options
    The taste was not as rich as the real deal for sure, but it was unmistakably Worcestershirey in odor.

The steak we ended up using released a TON of juice so we ended up with almost like a chili that was fast cooked. Meat didn’t get overly tender but the juices all reduced down into almost like a stew or gravy. The quesadillas were Capital D Delicious and enjoyed by all.

And there’s some leftover! I can make some when we get home!

• Options
    For the past decade of my cooking life, a little voice has been whispering in my head, "You should buy a food processor."
    "I think I'm good for this recipe, voice. I have this immersion blender and an old coffee grinder and some vintage grater drums for my stand mixer. I don't think I really need a food processor."
    "But you should get a food processor."
    "Some day, maybe. But I don't really want to buy a cheapo Walmart one."
    "Oh, definitely not. You need to blow like half a paycheck on a giant stupidly overpowered monolith of a food processor."
    "Right. Because I don't know when a recipe is going to come up that's going to make me shred God into a bowl."
    "Exactly. Just a nightmare murder machine of a food processor."
    "Yeah. Not today, though. One of these days."

Long story short, you should all be hanging out in the Cook Club thread.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I had a food processor, and I used it occasionally, until I got my immersion blender. When my last immersion blender burnt out on me I bought a stick blender that has a small food processor attachment and I like this new setup a bit more now as it takes up a little less space.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Which one did you get, Jedoc?

A food processor is a "nice to have" until you suddenly discover/realize the tasks that it's GD amazing at. There are a couple of dough related recipes that would be a hecking pain using any other process

And yeah, it really came in handy for making jiaozi! I used it three times during the process (shredding the napa cabbage, grinding and mixing the meat with everything else, and mixing the dough)

In other food related news, the parchment paper I was using to transport sourdough into the oven tore right when I was moving the dough into the oven. Dough did a flip and then landed on its side, folded with the scored bit underneath (nooo) but into the dutch oven (well... thank god). There... there was no way to save it. This is going to be one hell of a funny loaf when I unlid it in 20 minutes

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The Breville Sous Chef! It pulverized all the dumpling innards a treat. Can't wait to make christmas chili with it. Blending all the tomatillos and chilies is a real pain in the ass with my little stick blender.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I have the 12 quart Breville! It's really nice

Also, bread disaster update. I have found a dino egg

4xmeg148fd0c.png

I think it may be about to hatch

(Aka Steam Will Find a Way)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Costco’s selling an Electrolux immersion blender with whisk and processor attachment for 100 bucks American that I want real fuckin’ bad, but I have to install some cabinets for our flat ware before I buy it or my girlfriend will fucking kill me.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Costco’s selling an Electrolux immersion blender with whisk and processor attachment for 100 bucks American that I want real fuckin’ bad, but I have to install some cabinets for our flat ware before I buy it or my girlfriend will fucking kill me.

I got an immersion blender as well from Costco (different Brand) and it has been amazing. Easily the best gadget I've bought in years, especially for making soups and stuff. Also whipped cream.

webguy20 on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    As a post-dinner treat, I made a microwaved brownie in a mug, topped with vanilla ice cream:

2vO1wJj.jpg?1

The lack of an egg means the "brownie" has a totally different consistency, but it made for a delicious and easy to make dessert

xet8c.gif

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh my god sal that's brilliant

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Bake-in-a-mug cake is fantastic.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

I got an immersion blender as well from Costco (different Brand) and it has been amazing. Easily the best gadget I've bought in years, especially for making soups and stuff. Also whipped cream.

Fuuuuuck you are not helping at aaaaaaallll.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Fuuuuuck you are not helping at aaaaaaallll.

I don't think I was trying to be? :D

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

That’s essentially what I got (I don’t remember the brand) I threw out my big food processor after that and use the small food processor more than I did before.

Just die. It’ll be worth it.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »

That’s essentially what I got (I don’t remember the brand) I threw out my big food processor after that and use the small food processor more than I did before.

Just die. It’ll be worth it.

Fucking Harsh

This discussion has been closed.