Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    I know I'm bloody uneducated but when I see you guys talking about Deathrow, I keep thinking about that awesome future sport game on the original Xbox.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx Anyone could cure it with blindness There were moments where I thought I could beRegistered User regular
    Impression on Soilwork Verkligheten:

Kind of like a Swedish melodeath Meatloaf album.

Kinda digging it

Make. Time.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Sold!

I now want a Jim Steinman/In Flames collaboration.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Anyone could cure it with blindness There were moments where I thought I could beRegistered User regular
    edited January 11

Sold!

I now want a Jim Steinman/In Flames collaboration.

Yess.

I will say this is very different from other albums they've done. It's got a lot of chord voicings I more associate with hard rock, a sprinkling of bombastic and over the top, but still a Soilwork metal frame.

Catchy as a motherfucker too.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Speaking of In Flames. New song/lyric video released

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    Has anyone heard Your Last Orison by End Amen? According to MA, its the only other album Uwe from Deathrow was involved in.

I have, and it's pretty good stuff, you can tell Uwe is playing on it. I reviewed it: http://autothrall.blogspot.com/2010/07/end-amen-your-last-orison-1992.html

Later on he started making bad techno and hip hop albums if I remember correctly.
    Jazz wrote: »
    I know I'm bloody uneducated but when I see you guys talking about Deathrow, I keep thinking about that awesome future sport game on the original Xbox.

It's like that, but with a symphony of clinical, brilliant thrashing which creates a weird numbing sensation like you're experiencing it all from a padded cell. And you don't get a helmet.

autothrall on
    TerribleMisathropeEthelTheFrog

I will say this is very different from other albums they've done. It's got a lot of chord voicings I more associate with hard rock, a sprinkling of bombastic and over the top, but still a Soilwork metal frame.

You can definitely tell that The Night Flight Orchestra influence has bled over into Soilwork. I didn't find it very catchy, but probably overall as good as The Ride Majestic.

jungleroomx
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    after thinking about it think i prefer elokuutio to taival although i really like the harmony in eg this

i actually just wish it was a slightly harder song - one of the things i really like about how they arrange is that they are so harmonically solid with the fundamental structure of the songs they dont actually need to go cheesy to go cheesy.... its just natural effortless cheese

plus they have that tendency of going for progressions that have that extra 2-3 movements of tension in them before they resolve which produces that very particular stam1na sound

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    autothrallTerribleMisathrope
    Gotta go with Raja as my fave from the mighty Stam1na, but everything they've done since that is also good, and more proggy too.

TerribleMisathrope
  • TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited January 11
    Mgcw wrote: »
    That digipack reissue of Deathrow's Deception Ignored that Noise did from last year is really well done. Although I'm still confused as to how Markus says (from the interview they have printed in the booklet) he hates songs like "Narcotic" (which might just be my favorite thrash song ever).

I gotta buy this just to read the interview.

Narcotic is one of the greatest songs of all time.

E: Seriously look at the fucking lyric difference between every single song on Deception Ignored and the ones on Life Beyond. Like, what the fuck even happened? It's the same line-up!
    Agreed. Narcotic is fucking amazing.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Camo is the only real color, because black is merely the absence of camo.

Metal Makes Me Have The Feels
    autothrallEthelTheFrog
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    edited January 11
    oh ya auto the second half of voima vastaan viha is fucking awesome - its like that thing where because all the chords are just being allowed to live a bit longer and the mix just gets thicker and its like this massive dense minor key progresion

gief

also for some reason finnish just perfectly suits that staccato delivery without i think causing the negative response i would have to that almost rap-style delivery in english. so many great consonants, but he also is just a great singer

fav song from elokuutio is kuudet raamit which is probably a sign of my wussiness

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    autothrall
    edited January 11
    also i dont know if this is just me but unlike almost all other devin townsend songs where i feel his modern delivery with his more mature voice works better the desperation of the original studio recording of detox with the higher pitch he had then always rings far truer and better than his live performance on retinal circus

GOD IM SO LOOOOOOOOOONELYYYYYYYYY

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    autothrallJazz
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    New Delain:

( @BlackDragon480 :) )

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think I like that new In Flames song more than "I Am Above."

Well it's better than the first tune they premiered, but the chord patterns are almost identical to several other songs they've done in the past, and the chorus, while good, doesn't make me want to immediately listen to it again.

Yeah I've currently got "MY GOD... I DON'T NEED YOU" stuck in my head.

Such a good tune.

Make. Time.
    autothrall
    Another new Soilwork song:

jungleroomx
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 11
    Speed looks weird to me without his hat.

Sir Carcass on
    I'm a little disappointed it's not this one, because hoo boy do I like this one:

Make. Time.
    edited January 11
    Speed looks weird to me without his hat.

in my head him and christian alvestam merge together into one bald swede

and for some reason that suddenly reminded me of mercenary fuck i used to love mercenary

EDIT: hjoly fuck they have 2 new albums i never heard - metamorphosis and through our darkest days

gon bang dat like its 2006

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 11
    Mercenary kind of hit their summit with Architect of Lies, the albums after that are just attempts to take that one a little more mainstream with very mixed results. On the other hand, their fellows Danes Raunchy took that style and made an awesome album with it, Wasteland Discotheque, which I highly, highly recommend to anyone who likes Architect of Lies. The vocals and songwriting on that are insanely catchy and exciting.

autothrall on
    the problem i had with raunchy is that mercenary had this wall of sound that i never quite felt raunchy hit - they had catchy on lock but there was something a bit more industrial about their production and they felt like they were going for a different target

but yes architect of lies fully rules

obF2Wuw.png
    edited January 11
    I dunno, this is pretty 'wall of sound' with catchier riffs than Mercenary. And the vocals are just sick. But I'm an asshole.

autothrall on
    edited January 11
    im sorry the fact u slightly disagree with me about raunchy means that i have reported you to the metal fbi there is no recourse judgement has been passed

also speaking of mercenary around the same time i was super into amorphis and i just remembered my fave song of theirs

finland just rules

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    TerribleMisathropeXantomas
    edited January 11
    im sorry the fact u slightly disagree with me about raunchy means that i have reported you to the metal fbi there is no recourse judgement has been passed

I was wondering who that was that just called my office! <3

autothrall on
    surrealitycheckTerribleMisathrope
  • TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited January 11
    So this Esoctrilihum album, Pandaemorthium, is fucking choice.

Also loving Esoteric Malacology (Slugdge really brought it in 2018) and Manor of Infinite Forms shows that Tomb Mold is not slowing down at all.

Plus, Arson and Spellbound!!!!!! I loved Season of Silence, so it's really incredible to have Sadist continue in such good form, given what usually happens with Prog Death Bands.

Yall called it again!!

Edit: Btw, I'm also excited to get one of these. That will double my phone's storage, so I can fit over half of my albums on my daily driver music player again!! Only $88 for 400GB is a pretty great deal for us with expandable storage in our music players.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Camo is the only real color, because black is merely the absence of camo.

Metal Makes Me Have The Feels
    autothrall
    Sweet, next time I upgrade I've gotta grab a phone that can take one of those.

TerribleMisathrope
    tfw ur cognitive science memes intersect with the metal thread

5p39nstpxcz1.png

obF2Wuw.png
    jungleroomxBlackDragon480autothrallFutt BuckerSir CarcassEthelTheFrogCampyProlegomenadescOrcaLoveIsUnityTerribleMisathrope
    Totally swiping that, Scheck.

Make. Time.
    Vanguard
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    You guys, I discovered Slugdge a few weeks ago and I think I love it. All of it. Have I been indoctrinated into some kind of intergalactic slug cult now?

flamebroiledchickenDissociaterLoveIsUnityTerribleMisathrope
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    I also really like The Hours That Remain by Mercenary. Just as good if not better than Architect of Lies in my book. Especially these two songs:

EthelTheFrog on
    yy hours that remain was the whole album that i listened to the most, for some reason i think i had passed mostly on from mercenary by the time architect of lies dropped

obF2Wuw.png
    autothrall wrote: »
    Later on he started making bad techno and hip hop albums if I remember correctly.

You're kidding... For some reason, I imagine modern day Uwe as Martin from Hyperion on a quest to find his lost muse. One day he'll find it and we'll get a Uwe solo album that'll blow our minds.

You might be right. Maybe the real Uwe is off on some space odyssey, his guitar playing so good that it can bypass quantum and cosmic mechanics for instaportation. When he left, he riffed up a doppelganger of himself made entirely of sound but forgot to give it good taste.

EthelTheFrogBlackDragon480LoveIsUnity
    Metal-adjacent: apparently Mike Patton is going to sing the national anthem at an NFL game tomorrow? Anyone know if this is satire?

I also really like The Hours That Remain by Mercenary. Just as good if not better than Architect of Lies

Ok, maybe not. I just listened to Architect of Lies for the first time in a while, and dang it's better than I remember. "This Black and Endless Never" and "The Endless Fall" absolutely slay.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    You guys, I discovered Slugdge a few weeks ago and I think I love it. All of it. Have I been indoctrinated into some kind of intergalactic slug cult now?
    Bad news yes, good news we shall all live on as one in the mind of the greatfather.

BlackDragon480XantomasTerribleMisathrope
    edited January 12
    wandering around the house randomly yelling GAIAN LAPSI thats one real-ass earworm

also stam1na get away with having hilariously earnest/edgy lyrics because theyre in finnish so when they call a song "ANGEL CRUSHING MACHINE" it doesnt register in my brain as ygtmvf4e27r5.png its instead like wow how mysterious and deep this finnish language is how beautiful and thoughtful excellent im so cultured expanding my horizons yes yes

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    jungleroomx
  • descdesc slight cough / rhyming through phones Registered User regular

Sir CarcassBlackDragon480KreutzMcKid
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    Got some new Evergrey out too.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    jungleroomx