Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• VanguardVanguard Just float along and fill your lungs Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    picked up Panopticon - The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness Parts 1 and 2

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    This album's great; very ominous, atmospheric but a lot going on throughout and that very distant, washed out feel to some of the instruments.

FearmeisterJazzdesc
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    A new Rhapsody of Fire is coming out. This is the Voli/Starpoli version, not to be confused with Luca Turilli's Rhapsody , Rhapsody Reunion or Turilli / Lione Rhapsody.

And holy crap, Týr have a new album coming out.

Kakodaimonos on
    Futt Buckerautothrall
    Another record I'm hot for this month.

There's also a great new Funereal Presence album, I have promo but can't find a good sample to share. Anyway it's the dude from Negative Plane's side project, the first album was awesome and this one seems like it could be nearly as good, or maybe better once I explore it more.

FearmeisterLoveIsUnity
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    I swear there's more versions of Rhapsody (of Fire etc) than editions of Skyrim.

EthelTheFrogKreutz
    edited January 15
    I thought there were only two? Rhapsody of Fire and Luca Turilli's Rhapsody. Is there another one now? Oh geez...hahahah, that's going to get convoluted. It's also made them almost completely irrelevant these days, I don't know many folks who have the same excitement over them as they did at the turn of the century.

autothrall on
    EthelTheFrog
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    I mean, is it that hard to just make a band with a new name?

Fucking hyped about that Funereal Presence btw

autothrall
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus Registered User regular
    New Jinjer is good stuff. More in line with the Pisces and Speak Astronomy stuff from King. Nailed to Obscurity had a solid release same day too.

• descdesc bare man are locked in Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    This album's great; very ominous, atmospheric but a lot going on throughout and that very distant, washed out feel to some of the instruments.

iron bonehead records forever 🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

Speaking of good labels, not sure if this was posted already. I feel like maybe it was. Just in case, some weirdo occult black metal on i, voidhanger records:

https://arsmagnaumbrae.bandcamp.com/album/lunar-ascension

it has elements that are kind of math rock-y/Locust-ish insistent repetitious stuff different than the more classic bm vibe of repeating tremolo riffs, more frantic and unstable sounding instead

this is growing on me rapidly as I listen dang

oh this was already available on their own bandcamp for months

I'll never get assigned to the occult bm story beat with this kind of behind-the-times reporting

surrealitycheck
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Spicy Rudolph Registered User regular
    New Jinjer is good stuff. More in line with the Pisces and Speak Astronomy stuff from King. Nailed to Obscurity had a solid release same day too.

"Ape" is dope as fuck. I'm coming around on "Perennial," but man what a good video.

Make. Time.
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited January 15
    desc wrote: »

Speaking of good labels, not sure if this was posted already. I feel like maybe it was. Just in case, some weirdo occult black metal on i, voidhanger records:

it has elements that are kind of math rock-y/Locust-ish insistent repetitious stuff different than the more classic bm vibe of repeating tremolo riffs, more frantic and unstable sounding instead

This album is badass. Guitar sort of reminds me of Blut Aus Nord (not a bad thing).

edit - the track "Fallen Star's Light" is fucking sweet. This album started good and kept getting better, good link.

Kaputa on
    desc
    edited January 15
    Luciano always has an ear for interesting bands, his label is definitely one to pay attention to.

autothrall on
    FearmeisterCampy
    Jazz wrote: »
    I swear there's more versions of Rhapsody (of Fire etc) than editions of Skyrim.

Maybe they'll form a supergroup, Rhapsody of Rhapsodies

EthelTheFrogBlackDragon480
    Luciano always has an ear for interesting bands, his label is definitely one to pay attention to.

The label has my favorite bad cover arts of all time. Shop work courtesy of my friend.
    11782360_10201185656881095_2542581187488566465_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=4e2fdb870eadb64e14b8d41493686ba9&oe=5CBD0823

Futt Bucker
    Kaputa wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

This album is badass. Guitar sort of reminds me of Blut Aus Nord (not a bad thing).

edit - the track "Fallen Star's Light" is fucking sweet. This album started good and kept getting better, good link.

Yeah as i was listening I was like

This is pretty good

Damn this is solid actually

Wait it keeps getting better

And at the end I was like into the shopping cart you go

The label has my favorite bad cover arts of all time. Shop work courtesy of my friend.

I love that cover, actually...it's goofy, but it stands out.

Then again, he's also got cover arts like this...

9vuqhyw4pn79.jpg
    frepqvm4v3vp.jpg
    akfnabcqrxq8.jpg
    hef3b2gl4wi2.jpg
    xqk2inppw1tr.jpg

FearmeisterBlackDragon480desc
    No, I agree, I adore it too. Nothing says cosmic black metal like space wizard penguins.

McKidautothrallEthelTheFrog
    edited January 15
    No, I agree, I adore it too. Nothing says cosmic black metal like space wizard penguins.

And it certainly fits this dude's eccentricity. A very interesting fellow. I've never reviewed any of his stuff, and he's got a lot of it...maybe I should change that.

ni08frtgp789.jpg

This is my fave of his album covers:

epn4tl1xv6uc.jpg

autothrall on
    Futt BuckerEthelTheFrogdescProlegomenaLoveIsUnity
    Just did some research and I think he makes all the artwork himself as well.

I've only listened to the space penguin album myself and the best way I can describe it is that it is what a broken mind will sound like post-Lovcraftian trauma.

edited January 16
    space bm!

https://strigae.bandcamp.com/releases

that's a cool logo I have to admit

desc on
    EthelTheFrog
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    also auto name ur 2 fave songs on accelerated evolution then click spoiler

i want to see if our devin townsend taste continues to align
    storm&deadhead

okok deadhead is obvious but stil

obF2Wuw.png

I would, but then it'd just make me want to listen to Ocean Machine instead.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck the search for the means to put an end to things an end to speech is what enables the discourse to continue ~ * ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) excelsior * ~Registered User regular
    edited January 17

I would, but then it'd just make me want to listen to Ocean Machine instead.

ok same thing for ocean machine but i woul dhave to pick minimum 5 tracks
    night
    regulator
    funeral
    bastard
    death of music
    fuck ok also life thats 6

also empath drops in march and i hope its a bit more... complex than some of his newer stuff

transcendence was a bit of a disappointment and of his recent work ive really dug the chiller stuff the most (ki / ghost / casualties) while addicted/z2/deconstruction didnt really do it for me

everything hes saying about it sounds interesting tho
    On this album Devin has decided to see what would happen if all the styles that make up his current interests were finally represented in one place. To finally shake the fear of expectation, and just do what it is he was meant to do creatively, EMPATH, true to the name, is about allowing the audience a feeling for a variety of musical emotions. The musical dynamics represented on this single album are broad, challenging, and immense. To approach this sort of work with a long history of what makes heavy music ‘heavy’, allows this to be done with a type of power rarely heard.

Joining Devin on this album is Frank Zappa alumni Mike Keneally as music director, as well as Morgan Ågren (Mats And Morgan, Frank Zappa, Fredrik Thordendal), Anup Sastry (Monuments, Periphery), Samus Paulicelli (Decrepit Birth, Abigail Williams), Nathan Navarro, Elliot Desagnes, Steve Vai, Chad Kroeger, Anneke Van Giersbergen, Ché Aimee Dorval, Ryan Dhale and the Elektra Women’s Choir.

A bold statement with massive production values and dynamic, uncompromised musicality. This is a statement about not only pursuing creative freedom in a conservative scene, but also trying to show that heavy music is truly a valid musical tool.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Spicy Rudolph Registered User regular
    Okay this song is clicking. Man they've come a long damn way in a very short period of time.

Make. Time.
    BlackDragon480
    1349 have a new single, based on an Edvard Munch painting.

autothrallKaputa
    also auto reminding me about architect of lies reminded me of this absolutely DISGRACEFUL bonus track

its so awful but also so great

obF2Wuw.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    New Haunt EP is out. Couldn't find a youtube link so here's the cover art:

2uvdtbj5k0ie.png

McKidautothrallTerribleMisathrope
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    2 EPs and 2 full lengths, all written by one guy, all released within 2 years. That guy is unstoppable.

My color is black to the blind
    TerribleMisathrope
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited January 17
    also auto reminding me about architect of lies reminded me of this absolutely DISGRACEFUL bonus track

I intentionally bought the version without this bonus track. It's ok, but it kind of throws a wrench in the proceedings. Regardless, it frustrates me when people put bonus tracks in the middle of the original album. There are no guarantees that it'll even be close in quality to the rest and it's disruptive more often than not. For example, I really wish I could find a CD version of Killing Technology without "Too Scared to Scream" put in there. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine song, but it's totally filler when put between "Tornado" and "Forgotten In Space", two of my favorite Voivod tracks ever. "I, Deception" off of Damage Done is the only time I can think of where this strategy worked out.

EthelTheFrog on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    I always thought Soilwork had really good bonus tracks. They're almost always among my favorite songs on each album.

Though I gotta say I was bummed when they had them all remixed for that comp they put out a few years ago. That period of time, after The Ride Majestic came out and Dirk left for Megadeth, kind of soured me on Soilwork. The new album isn't bad but more and more now the band just feels like a Bjorn Strid Project and not the way it used to.

My color is black to the blind
    autothrallBlackDragon480TerribleMisathrope
    edited January 18
    Really cool new Svartelder album. Black metal has really been the bizness this year so far. The new Nordjevel promo is also pretty hot...and by hot I mean cold.

autothrall on
  • VanguardVanguard Just float along and fill your lungs Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 18
    2 EPs and 2 full lengths, all written by one guy, all released within 2 years. That guy is unstoppable.

(you're forgetting the 10 eps he released as beastmaker over the last 8 months, too)

Vanguard on
  • JazzJazz UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 18
    I found and picked up a secondhand copy of Ozzy Osbourne's book I Am Ozzy today. It's supposed to be hilarious. Good winter reads :)

And it'll go nicely on my bookshelf next to Tony Iommi's Iron Man, which was also great.

Jazz on
    i just discovered oomph! have a new album that came out jsut now and that is not a band i have thought about since like 2006 god damn i had no idea they still made stuff

obF2Wuw.png
    Oh no. Don't bring me back to high school. All I listened to was German industrial stuff.

Oomph!, Megaherz, Eisbrecher, KMFDM and Rammstein was my fucking jam.

I'm kinda scared to listen to them again knowing that I won't like them nowhere near as much as I did as a teenager.

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Whoa. I just realized Beastmaker and Haunt are from my hometown. I didn't even know we had metal bands that weren't metalcore.

autothrallTerribleMisathrope
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus Registered User regular
    OOMPH! is still kicking and still pretty good. Des Wahnsinns Fette Beute is fun, XXV is pretty consistent, new one seems pretty similar though kinda throwing back to their harder early stuff.

edited January 19
    I still like KMFDM and some Rammstein stuff. Not so much the others.

Hell's Headbangers is having a $3.33 CD sale, $7.77 for some vinyl, but man the stuff goes fast, as I was readying my order, 7 of the 14 items went out of stock. Mind you this was like 20 minutes after getting the initial notification email for the sale...

Anyways I got a couple gems I had been wanting physical copies for.

autothrall on
    Fearmeister