As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Rammstein may not always be my bag, but they're never dull.

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    They have some weak albums and singles, in particular the earlier albums, but they really hit a good stride for awhile.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    autothrall wrote: »
    I still like KMFDM and some Rammstein stuff. Not so much the others.

Hell's Headbangers is having a $3.33 CD sale, $7.77 for some vinyl, but man the stuff goes fast, as I was readying my order, 7 of the 14 items went out of stock. Mind you this was like 20 minutes after getting the initial notification email for the sale...

Anyways I got a couple gems I had been wanting physical copies for.

Nice! Just got me 13 albums for only 40 bucks.

Thanks for the heads up!
    Agatus - The Eternalist
    Bestiality - Worshipers of Unearthly Perversions
    Birth Through Gore - The Culmination Conquest
    Bloodway - Sunstone Voyager and the Clandestine Horizon
    Coffincraft - In Eerie Slumber
    Ecferus - Pangaea
    Epitaph - Sinner Waketh
    Hæresiarchs of Dis - In Obsecration of the Seven Darks
    Scythian - Hubris in Excelsis
    The Swill - Master of Delusion
    Thrall - Away from the Haunts of Men
    The Wakedead Gathering - Dark Circles
    Zemial - Nykta

Also just learned that Bloodway called it quits last year :bigfrown:

Fearmeister on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    iMonolith, the ' new band with two former Devin Townsend Project members, released a song:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57tcysG4QgY

Initial listen didn't do much for me.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I saw Haunt live tonight. Good show! They mostly played stuff off Burst Into Flame.

The two openers were pretty good too. First up was Hell Fire who delivered some traditional metal with a lot of energy. After that was Idle Hands who were a sort of goth metal. The sound wasn't the best at the venue, but I checked both bands out on bandcamp and enjoyed what I heard.

I bought a Haunt shirt. The guy selling their stuff at the merch booth was the same guy who sold me their CD at Frost & Fire last year.

Jarvis from Night Demon was there checking out all the bands.

Parking sucked ass.

Anyway, they're doing a west coast tour right now. Check 'em out if you can.

• Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Alright, there are some good ones on Ritual
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xL5F7bg9A

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I rather dug this... AdryA from Hungary.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D7vlMlGzQps

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I saw Haunt live tonight. Good show! They mostly played stuff off Burst Into Flame.

The two openers were pretty good too. First up was Hell Fire who delivered some traditional metal with a lot of energy. After that was Idle Hands who were a sort of goth metal. The sound wasn't the best at the venue, but I checked both bands out on bandcamp and enjoyed what I heard.

I bought a Haunt shirt. The guy selling their stuff at the merch booth was the same guy who sold me their CD at Frost & Fire last year.

Jarvis from Night Demon was there checking out all the bands.

Parking sucked ass.

Anyway, they're doing a west coast tour right now. Check 'em out if you can.

haunt put on a good show

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    lads gimme your picks for 2-3 TOP tier cheesy minor key not too djenty metal cheesefests from last 2 years, i need some solid mozzarella to hesh out to

noe6nrg4xfcw.png

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Do you want good cheese or nasty, stinky, moldy Limburger?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jinjers Micro is a quick bit of slithery, proggy nastiness. The melodies and vocal patterns are a lot more solid on this one, the new drummer was a deft addition, and with the exception of what is obviously a neck punch at Christian private schooling ("Teacher, Teacher!") I enjoyed this quite a bit.

Strange seeing a 5 song EP in this day and age, but I'm not mad at it. It definitely shows massive growth from their last album.

Oh, and their bassist Eugene Kostyuk is a fucking monster. One of the best in the business.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    The music for Jinjer is alright for chuggressive, but I can't handle the vocals. Kind of the same overbearing metalcore deal I was complaining about on previous pages, trying to sound heavy, but not really sounding heavy or scary or sinister; and the singy parts just sound like every generic Euro sympho-Goth metal band craving a radio chorus. Groups like Nightwish, Elis and The Gathering, love 'em or hate 'em, were just so much more distinct when they had their classic era singers. I think I even like the latest Arch Enemy singer more than that and she ruins those records for me (I'm a Johan purist).

I know I'm in the minority on this, and I'm awful, but I gave it a try and couldn't get past the cringe, not sure what the big deal is.

I think I like this band much, much more, she's got more of an Angela ex-Arch Enemy style, still a little overbearing but the riffs are killer. If you want some chugressive/groove metal stuff with influences everywhere from Pantera to Meshuggah to Nevermore to Voivod to SYL, here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOvAP_Hd7xg

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean you're usually on point with stuff... But I don't hear a lick of metalcore in their music (the newest stuff anyway).

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean you're usually on point with stuff... But I don't hear a lick of metalcore in their music (the newest stuff anyway).

Well I didn't say the music was metalcore at all, I was referring to the harsh vocals explicitly, so that's alright. Pretty sure the stuff I listened to was 2018.

EDIT: Nope, I stand corrected, it was 2019, brand new.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    The music for Jinjer is alright for chuggressive, but I can't handle the vocals. Kind of the same overbearing metalcore deal I was complaining about on previous pages, trying to sound heavy, but not really sounding heavy or scary or sinister; and the singy parts just sound like every generic Euro sympho-Goth metal band craving a radio chorus. Groups like Nightwish, Elis and The Gathering, love 'em or hate 'em, were just so much more distinct when they had their classic era singers. I think I even like the latest Arch Enemy singer more than that and she ruins those records for me (I'm a Johan purist).

Oh, thank goodness, I thought I was alone. My exact thoughts when I hear them.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

ill take any

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/d0FUVImlJ9k

straight ahead angry death

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean the Once Human band is fine, I've heard them before and theyre good if a bit bog standard

But it's not even the same genre so I'm curious as to why it was made as a comparison point?

Actually none of those bands listed are really in the same genre... even the genre listed isn't the kind of music they play

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    I missed this last year

https://youtu.be/DK86Liy1jHk

total fuckin chaos

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

ill take any

Ok. How about dinosaurs with frikkin laser beams.

https://youtu.be/iuv0Nay1pHU

Some terrible German cheese to balance out the previous.

https://youtu.be/qnzurkSGBCs

Frozen Land is some classic 80s Euro throwback.

https://youtu.be/s6108wDMTd8

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    I mean the Once Human band is fine, I've heard them before and theyre good if a bit bog standard

But it's not even the same genre so I'm curious as to why it was made as a comparison point?

Actually none of those bands listed are really in the same genre... even the genre listed isn't the kind of music they play

I think you might be misinterpreting my comment, jungle. Maybe the way I wrote it was confusing, so I'm going to try this again...

I was talking strictly about the vocalist for Jinjer, the major reason I'm not into them. Her clean chorus vocals (on this newish stuff at least) are very much similar to a lot of female fronted Euro Gothic metal bands, or stuff like In This Moment and Evanescence, so I feel that is a very valid comparison point. Only the other bands that I named in my earlier post had more distinct vocalists when it came to that. And Jinjer's harsh vocals sound to me like very overbearing generic metalcore/melodeath stuff. I made no other musical comparisons between the Jinjer music and those pure Gothic metal bands, however; of course I don't think The Gathering sounds like Jinjer in terms of instruments. Bands do not need to be in the same sub-genre for me to compare the varying vocals styles they use.

As for Once Human and Jinjer not being comparable...they are both hybrid bands but often play a nearly identical, prog-groove/chugressive metal style with female growling, only the singer in Once Human doesn't use as many clean vocals and Jinjer has some more radio friendly rock parts. But when they are grooving heavily there are clear similarities to the riffing and growling, the two could easily tour together and fans of one would dig the other. Hell, they even share some of the same genres on their Wikipedia listings. I personally prefer Once Human because I remember their riffs a lot longer afterwards, although I do not think Jinjer is all that bad with their own riffing, occasionally they get a Dillinger thing going. But one is no more bog standard than the other, there is nothing unique about the Jinjer vocalist whatsoever, she is not the only emotive growler/singer out there and they are far from the only band that plays that mix of groovy chugging metal, slightly death metal influenced with clean chorus breaks...hell Jinjer could tour with Slipknot and fit right in.

I hope I made more sense this time, if not we will have to settle this by lightsaber!!!

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I think you might be misinterpreting my comment, jungle. Maybe the way I wrote it was confusing, so I'm going to try this again...

I was talking strictly about the vocalist for Jinjer, the major reason I'm not into them. Her clean chorus vocals (on this newish stuff at least) are very much similar to a lot of female fronted Euro Gothic metal bands, or stuff like In This Moment and Evanescence, so I feel that is a very valid comparison point. Only the other bands that I named in my earlier post had more distinct vocalists when it came to that. And Jinjer's harsh vocals sound to me like very overbearing generic metalcore/melodeath stuff. I made no other musical comparisons between the Jinjer music and those pure Gothic metal bands, however; of course I don't think The Gathering sounds like Jinjer in terms of instruments. Bands do not need to be in the same sub-genre for me to compare the varying vocals styles they use.

As for Once Human and Jinjer not being comparable...they are both hybrid bands but often play a nearly identical, prog-groove/chugressive metal style with female growling, only the singer in Once Human doesn't use as many clean vocals and Jinjer has some more radio friendly rock parts. But when they are grooving heavily there are clear similarities to the riffing and growling, the two could easily tour together and fans of one would dig the other. Hell, they even share some of the same genres on their Wikipedia listings. I personally prefer Once Human because I remember their riffs a lot longer afterwards, although I do not think Jinjer is all that bad with their own riffing, occasionally they get a Dillinger thing going. But one is no more bog standard than the other, there is nothing unique about the Jinjer vocalist whatsoever, she is not the only emotive growler/singer out there and they are far from the only band that plays that mix of groovy chugging metal, slightly death metal influenced with clean chorus breaks...hell Jinjer could tour with Slipknot and fit right in.

I hope I made more sense this time, if not we will have to settle this by lightsaber!!!

I mean yeah now I'm following what you're putting down. I'm not sure I agree but I get where you're coming from. I don't really think she's like some godsend unique all fucking new singer, as far as Jinjer goes, but their instrumentation is more my thing. And hot damn is that bassist good. I'd put him up against any bassist still walking this planet, regardless of genre.

But still we should still do the lightsabers because that sounds pretty fucking metal.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    The cashier at the local grocery store recognized my Slugdge hoodie. Then he wanted to tell me all about his Slam metal band. I did tell him to check out the new Necrophobic and Sulphur Aeon.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So Be'lakor is thinking their new album will be done late 2019 or early 2020 with touring to follow including their first US tour. I hope they make it up to Canada too, would love to see them live.

• Options
    I mean yeah now I'm following what you're putting down. I'm not sure I agree but I get where you're coming from. I don't really think she's like some godsend unique all fucking new singer, as far as Jinjer goes, but their instrumentation is more my thing. And hot damn is that bassist good. I'd put him up against any bassist still walking this planet, regardless of genre.

But still we should still do the lightsabers because that sounds pretty fucking metal.

Sure thing! I'm into the Inquisitor's dark side model from the Rebels cartoon.

And yeah, the bassist is pretty good.

• Options
    And the opener for the Lucifer and Spell show at Indianapolis is Sacred Leather. Never heard of these guys before but I honestly now can't think of a better local band to open the show

https://youtu.be/AJgqhAZdaGY

• Options
    edited January 2019
    desc on
  • Options
    He looks like he as googly eyes on

• Options
    wait actually hold on??

never heard of this band before they are like bay area crust doom violence

there's some big drum tones, but often with that kind of loose loping feel, big doom guitar amp riffs, strangled blackened crust vox

https://youtu.be/NODejb0DQgs

https://bodyvoid.bandcamp.com/

• Options
    edited January 2019

Sure thing! I'm into the Inquisitor's dark side model from the Rebels cartoon.

And yeah, the bassist is pretty good.

I don't know what kind I'd get, but it'd probably be purple because why not?

Anyway, if we were talking about great female vocalists in metal I'd probably start with Floor Jansen or Brittney Hayes for melodic stuff. There's a bunch in the growling department these days as well. I got my female screamer cherry broken with Crisis way back in the day like I imagine a lot of people here did.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    The awesome Temple of Mystery label is putting out Trapped Under Ice, a great compilation of underground Canadian bands with ten exclusive tracks. It's mostly heavy metal (Spell, Emblem, Cauchemar (whose members are behind the label), Starlight Ritual, Metalian and Traveler), with also with a dash of hard rock (Freeways (really great band from members of Droid)) and some first-wave black metal (Occult Burial, Barrow Wight (the least nerdy band about Tolkien ever) and Blackrat (more black crust really)).

I've received my die-hard LP last week and it is getting a heavy mileage on the turntable ! Also, we're a few days into a record-breaking cold wave, so the title is particularly appropriate.

It's streaming here : https://revolvermag.com/music/hear-ripping-new-canadian-metal-compilation-trapped-under-ice-full

a2320812123_10.jpg?itok=DEn47wZm&timestamp=1548179137

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I think that Trapped Under Ice come came out last year, didn't it? I had a promo for it. Is this a new version?
    Anyway, if we were talking about great female vocalists in metal I'd probably start with Floor Jansen or Brittney Hayes for melodic stuff. There's a bunch in the growling department these days as well. I got my female screamer cherry broken with Crisis way back in the day like I imagine a lot of people here did.

I've seen Crisis a few times live back in the day. Have you heard her latest project Karen Crisis' Gospel of the Witches? Or whatever it's called? Interesting stuff.

For me, before Crisis in extreme 80s female vocals there were:

Nicole Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSR2uyz_VTo

Dawn Crosby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOn3fMdONRU

Sabina Classen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV-K_0fcAZA

Debbie Gunn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2nSMSvEfA&index=1&list=RDEM69S5K37_VZsvsvXfMyRnqA

And these are some of my favorites, but I'll put up another post for the next wave.

autothrall on
  • Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    The compilation was announced late last year with a promo video and the pre-order went up in November or December I think. The LPs went out last week as the actual release is tomorrow I think !

The die-hard is fantastic btw. It came with a full sheet of stickers for all the bands and an actual zine, containing interviews with all the bands.

McKid on
  • Options
    the problem i have with most "harsh" (screamed/growled) vox is that broadly you exchange any and all melodic quality for timbre

there are a very small number of vocalists who manage to mix it up - mikael stanne manages to do a respectable growl while still modulating all over the place, devin townsend is obviously extraordinary at hitting notes while also hitting all kinds of textural qualities with his voice - but on the whole, and sadly this is somethign i find especially true for most female harsh vox at the moment, the focus is so much on the aggressive quality that it turns into mostly boring indistinguishable "ah yes the vocalist is doing this now"

broadly i feel like if you are going for that kind of particular quality then just make ridiculous black metal that is basically badly recorded ambient with blastbeats that sounds like somebody pirated it in a norwegian forest circa 1992. otherwise you gotta actually use it for something beyond just "ah this is the kind of vocals we need for this kind of music to get our genre sticker"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    the problem i have with most "harsh" (screamed/growled) vox is that broadly you exchange any and all melodic quality for timbre

there are a very small number of vocalists who manage to mix it up - mikael stanne manages to do a respectable growl while still modulating all over the place, devin townsend is obviously extraordinary at hitting notes while also hitting all kinds of textural qualities with his voice - but on the whole, and sadly this is somethign i find especially true for most female harsh vox at the moment, the focus is so much on the aggressive quality that it turns into mostly boring indistinguishable "ah yes the vocalist is doing this now"

broadly i feel like if you are going for that kind of particular quality then just make ridiculous black metal that is basically badly recorded ambient with blastbeats that sounds like somebody pirated it in a norwegian forest circa 1992. otherwise you gotta actually use it for something beyond just "ah this is the kind of vocals we need for this kind of music to get our genre sticker"

Yeah, I've kind of always felt that with most of the female extreme metal vocalists, they're trying to sound like dudes instead of using their unique characteristics. I think the best vocalist I've heard in recent memory that straddles that line perfectly (for me, anyway) is Zofia from Obscure Sphinx.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Julie Christmas has a very nice screech

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Growled/harsh vocals are a universal egalitarian medium for expressing the feelings and ideas inherent to the genre of metal. It's not complicated. What happens if you can't find someone who is an amazing vocal talent? You just don't get to have a band? Fuck that.

• Options
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Growled/harsh vocals are a universal egalitarian medium for expressing the feelings and ideas inherent to the genre of metal. It's not complicated. What happens if you can't find someone who is an amazing vocal talent? You just don't get to have a band? Fuck that.

the beef i have with it is not its omnipresence (ive been listening to various flavours of metal since the year 1690 its not something that bothers me inherently), but that there are lots of things you can do with it that people do not explore

you can see this with the different types of scream, vocal fry versus hoarse bellows, etc. one of the things that traditionally bothered me about a lot of metalcore, for example, was not that they had harsh sections - but that the harsh sections were the most vanilla boring versions of what you can do with harsh vocal tones!

obF2Wuw.png
This discussion has been closed.