As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Going back to their previous albums

Why didn’t I know about this band

Okay into the Bandcamp cart you go

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Nature Ganganbaigal, frontman for Tengger Cavalry died last night :(

Damn. :sad:

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    want to tell y'all bout this cool new metal band called King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

i kid, but their next album Infest the Rats' Nest is their metal album and the singles are all fuckin solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtTi_uyYynA&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmAlQvDQGoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qskg6yvn8vc

vv excite for this one

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Man, I hate always being the detractor, but I gotta say...

I think this more metallic stuff is actually a step down for King Gizzard. I usually enjoy their albums, but this doesn't scratch my itch for that, or for metal either. There are some decent parts in the bridges but the riffs are really mediocre, some of which are just obvious attempts to sound like mid-80s Metallica.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2019
    autothrall wrote: »

I think this more metallic stuff is actually a step down for King Gizzard. I usually enjoy their albums, but this doesn't scratch my itch for that, or for metal either. There are some decent parts in the bridges but the riffs are really mediocre, some of which are just obvious attempts to sound like mid-80s Metallica.

I think what they do well is be chameleons

The joy of listening to their 5 album run in 2017 is how they can shape shift between prog, psych, jazz, and hard rock while still sounding like themselves

You can definitely hear those influences here (though I get a little bit of Sleep in their vocals) but it’s still gizzard

Also anything is better than their last effort, Fishing for Fishies

Vanguard on
  • Options
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Got turned on to Waste of Space Orchestra last night while watching Overkill Reviews on Youtube. They were going over albums that they missed so far this year. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but here's the single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCR-OrN41E0

At the beginning of the video they discussed Deathspell Omega and their new album. Turns out Mikko Aspa, their lead vocalist, is kind of a Nazi piece of shit who also had a noise project about child abuse that glorified it. The guys from Banger discuss DsO and Aspa at the beginning of the video. I kinda wish they would have had Sam Dunn talk about this, as he's a bit more articulate than Blayne and definitely more articulate than Dylan, but what are you gonna do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcEqTa8_7yA&t=717s

There's more information about Aspa here. This is a Finn blog laying out information about musicians involved in NSBM. The blog received a lot of requests to translate this page about Aspa, which was originally in Finnish. I'm glad they did because information about him seems to be thin on the ground.

So I'm off of DsO because I'd rather not support Nazi musicians. I'm not sure if this is a conversation that has already been beaten to death in this thread, but what are your stances on NS musicians, heshers? Do you listen to them with the knowledge that they hold horrible views that you disagree with? Do you stop listening to them regardless of the quality of their music?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Oh yeah DSO is a definite “do not support”

• Options
    Okay I’m buying:

MORTIFERUM / Altar of Decay
    TOMB MOLD / Cerulean Salvation
    ACATHEXIS / Acathexis
    DEATH FORTESS / Reign of the Unending
    MYLINGAR / Döda Drömmar

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If a musician is showing those kinds of tendencies and even putting them out in public then yeah, that's a big no for me dogg.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    If a musician is showing those kinds of tendencies and even putting them out in public then yeah, that's a big no for me dogg.

It’s not like, between the lines

The noise project is called “Nicole 12”

Like, it’s the text, it’s not subtext

Edit: don’t google any of this on your work computer

desc on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

It’s not like, between the lines

The noise project is called “Nicole 12”

Like, it’s the text, it’s not subtext

Edit: don’t google any of this on your work computer

I shan't.

I was somewhat interested in DSO after a strong showing from the music I heard before, but this kills it completely.

• Options
    In lighter news this Acathexis is fuckin straight up pissed black metal and I’m here for it 🤘🙌🤘

• Options
    Got turned on to Waste of Space Orchestra last night while watching Overkill Reviews on Youtube. They were going over albums that they missed so far this year. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but here's the single:

I've been digging on this album for a bit, it's very unique, and of course involving Oranssi Pazuzu members, one of my fave Finnish bands.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Now this is a meaty HM-2 tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6o22MgL00

From the upcoming Burial Remains album.

• Options
    Feeling good about skipping DSO

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular

I've been digging on this album for a bit, it's very unique, and of course involving Oranssi Pazuzu members, one of my fave Finnish bands.

Turns out the other half of Waste of Space Orchestra is just as metal. Give yer ears a cleaning with Dark Buddha Rising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9dyBmbY8WY

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Turns out the other half of Waste of Space Orchestra is just as metal. Give yer ears a cleaning with Dark Buddha Rising.

Oh, I've heard 'em!

autothrall on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The new Birdflesh is out.

https://youtu.be/BI_55XAPTCE

Gonna be listening to this one quite a bit.

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Just on the way home from Cult leader, who were a little muddy, but viciously excellent. The front man also absolutely nailed the clean vocsls, dont know many people able to do both styles so well.

• Options
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    How can they not pay insurance when they lost the fucking thing!?

• Options
    I imagine that will get appealed

Delta is probably arguing that the case was empty therefore the pedals were never in there

I suspect that Pike has a lot of documentation that he uses those pedals

• Options
    So Metal Blade has been posting false Batushka videos from their new album on YouTube.

With the comments turned off and the likes/dislikes not shown.

Ugh.

• Options
    I've seen some good reviews for their new album, also, I wonder if it's all an attempt to steamroll the Tr00 Batushka from public discourse.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Savageland is a great album indeed, and the best from X-Wild! I still remember when I swapped for those CDs with a woman from Switzerland who was I believe the president of the Running Wild fan club, because they were just ridiculously hard to find back then. I think the debut album is signed by them. I was so happy, wanted them fierce. This was of course back when Running Wild was still awesome too so I wanted anything that sounded remotely like them. She also got me the 3rd and 4th Scanner albums and the first Iron Savior.

But, yeah, "Die Like a Man", "Field of Blackbirds", so many good ones on there...

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What are some of the better more recent Opeth albums? I’ve listened to everything up to Damnation, I think.

Descendant X on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    What are some of the better more recent Opeth albums? I’ve listened to everything up to Damnation, I think.

Personally I've really enjoyed the two recent albums the most, Pale Communion and Sorceress. Just keep in mind that as of Heritage they went full on prog rock and have very little metal left to their sound. That album was a little uneven but since then they've totally nailed it. Great stuff.

As for heavier Opeth, the two albums after Damnation, Ghost Reveries and Watershed have their moments. Not my favorites in their catalog but I'll listen to them from time to time when I don't head straight for Still Life and Blackwater Park (or the first two).

autothrall on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I really like Opeth's style on the last three albums, but I feel that Pale Communion is the only one where I want to listen to the whole album at once.

Sorceress kinda peters out for me after the first three proper songs, then gets my attention again at the end with "Era".

Looking forward to the next one this year!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So, I got most of my drum battery out of storage and setup and have gotten back into practice/playing as much as my jacked up ankle allows me. Andre Matos' sudden death has had me on a huge Angra and Shaman kick the last couple of weeks so for shits and giggles I felt like trying one of Aquilles Priester's tracks with a buddy of mine as a practice partner and he just threw out Winds of Destination off Temple of Shadows as a selection.

I think we might have been drastically overestimating our own prowess:

https://youtu.be/UfFcD9w0Ufc

I can do everything passably well, and nearly full tempo, till the long break bout 2.5 minutes in after that we are both turbofucked. I'll normally put my hand skills and speed up against anyone not named Mike Mangini, Pete Sandoval, or Virgil Donati, but the section from 4:17-4:40 in the vid had my brain and body both going "NOOOOOPPPPEEEE!".

The space above his left side hi-hat, mini-China in the center and his snare became a triangle of pain, running headlong at 170bpm.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Speaking of Opeth, they put out a trailer for their European concert that has 30 seconds of new music. Well it's really just one note.

https://youtu.be/DU9u8aK8rOk

Also now they describe themselves (as per the video description) as "masters of progressive heavy-rock."

I still miss when they were a metal band.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I'd be shocked if they actually said that about themselves, and it wasn't some PR person or label employee. Pretty humble guys.

autothrall on
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

I mean, to be fair this is 100% their intention.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'd be shocked if they actually said that about themselves, and it wasn't some PR person or label employee. Pretty humble guys.

I was more keyed in on the 'heavy-rock' rather than the 'masters' part of the phrase.

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »
    I mean, to be fair this is 100% their intention.

To write subpar heavy metal? Well, they have lived up to that intention.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Gave Rare Field Ceiling a second listen

This is great

Yellow Eyes have this impenetrable quality to their music that simultaneous draws you and repels you with how cold it can be

Once you pierce that veil there’s just so many layers

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I haven't sat down and listened to the whole album yet, but from what I've listened to so far it's right up there with Immersion Trench Reverie.

My color is black to the blind
This discussion has been closed.