Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    I've been listening to the new Opeth album a whole bunch, trying to get my ear around it. I still really like it. If anything it's growing on me more. But the more I listen to it, the more I hate the synth/keyboards. They just sound so bad to me. Like St. Anger snare drum bad. I wish there was a way to just turn them off in the mix. edit: except Garroter. Sounds great there.

That would actually be pretty cool if one day music (purchased or streamed) would have each instrument's track separate so you could modify the levels of each independently if you want.

Dissociater on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    The Sauce wrote: »
    So I recently discovered Feminazgul and have been utterly obsessed with this 3 song demo thing.

I enjoy Myrkur and Arkona. Any suggestions for more metal that's just dripping feminine brutality of these sorts? Rage of Light gets close every now and then, but they're a bit generic. I'll stick with Nightwish for power metal adjacency.

God I can't wait for that full length Feminazgul is putting together.

Venom Prison for savage, man-killing death metal.

Svalbard for ferocious leftist crust.

War on Women for militant hardcore with thrash riffs.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
    The SauceDescendant Xdesc
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus Registered User regular
    New Insomnium feels like the best since Across the Dark, whereas One for Sorrow suffered from the production, Shadows felt like a retread of everything for the most part save While We Sleep, and Winter’s Gate was good but essentially functions as one long multi-part song.

BlackDragon480jungleroomx
    There’s new Wilderun on November 1st apparently

• jungleroomxjungleroomx And I said, hol up Registered User regular
    edited October 6
    Taking the new Insomnium for a spin.

Edit: Its dope.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    @Fearmeister, you were the guy who can fast-track the cover artwork posting on RateYourMusic? They seem to be slow posting a whole bunch lately.

Morten from Artillery passed away. Sad news, was such an awesome guitarist. By Inheritance forever.

BlackDragon480LoveIsUnity
  • JazzJazz irregular Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Ginger Baker (of Cream and many others) also passed away. He was 80.

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    @Fearmeister, you were the guy who can fast-track the cover artwork posting on RateYourMusic? They seem to be slow posting a whole bunch lately.

Yea man, I can see what I can do. I'm away from home for the week but I can add some when I get back

autothrall
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Ginger Baker (of Cream and many others) also passed away. He was 80.

Sad, but not unexpected he'd had a rough last couple of years.

Think I might spin Unseen Rain later today. It's a great jazz heavy prog album he did with Jonas Hellborg on bass and Jens Johannsen on piano.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    edited October 7
    This fuckin song is great ("Neverlast"). It could've easily been in their older stuff but the guitar melodies are way more recent, and that "for the mirth and glory" part makes me want to stomp some shit.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    BlackDragon480
    Whole album feels like if One for Sorrow got the production it needed, which also makes me desire a remaster even more.

BlackDragon480jungleroomx
    edited October 7
    Whole album feels like if One for Sorrow got the production it needed, which also makes me desire a remaster even more.

Indeed. The band feels rejuvenated and in tip top form, this album is so fucking good. So far "Neverlast", "The Offering", and "Twilight Trails" are my tops.

Getting Jani seems like it lit a fire back under their asses.

jungleroomx on
    Make. Time.
    The new In Mourning album is probably their best since Monolith.

Also the new album by The Number Twelve Looks Like You, came out a week or three ago. For fans of the Dillinger Escape Plan. I found the first half of 2019 to be pretty good, but the second half is stacked with albums I want to listen to.

So this shit is definitely my jam. The band is called Eternal Storm, and this album came out in late August.

For fans of Be'lakor.

Part 2 of the track is even better, but I can't find it on youtube.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im probably mad slow on this but i really like the production?

its in that sort of polyphia / leprous / tesseract zone ish but the vibe is more interesting to me

obF2Wuw.png
    jungleroomx
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 7
    So this shit is definitely my jam. The band is called Eternal Storm, and this album came out in late August.

For fans of Be'lakor.

Part 2 of the track is even better, but I can't find it on youtube.

Pt. 1's title font is far too readable.

BlackDragon480 on
    First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I might dig that Unprocessed song without the boy band vocals.

yeah i think the previous album was a bit stronger

i broadly tune out the vox but maybe that is advacned power

obF2Wuw.png
    maybe im a criminal becuse ive just been listening to outrageous amouints of prog rock recently

obF2Wuw.png
    autothrallBlackDragon480
    We should all be listening to outrageous amounts of prog at all times, my friend!

surrealitycheckKreutzBlackDragon480

we out here friendin

obF2Wuw.png
    autothrallBlackDragon480jungleroomx
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 7
    Someone watched Akerfeldt talk about albums recently. :P

Sir Carcass on
    Someone watch Akerfeldt talk about albums recently. :P

wat u mean i would never do such a thing

obF2Wuw.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

EXHIBIT A:

(I'm just glad you saved me from having to go search for them because I was curious)

EXHIBIT A:

(I'm just glad you saved me from having to go search for them because I was curious)

nice try but ur evidence proves nothing... neither do ur "facts"... u will never catch me...

obF2Wuw.png
    Sir Carcass
    edited October 7
    I'm almost positive we've talked about Lucifer's Friend in this thread before.

I was happy in his 'What's In the Bag' for Amoeba Records, Mikael brought up Univers Zero, though, as well as Music from 'The Elder' by KISS, which I thought I was alone on Earth in enjoying.

autothrall on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm almost positive we've talked about Lucifer's Friend in this thread before.

I was happy in his 'What's In the Bag' for Amoeba Records, Mikael brought up Univers Zero, though, as well as Music from 'The Elder' by KISS, which I thought I was alone on Earth in enjoying.

Yeah, he's been talking about Univers Zero for a long time. I remember him talking about them online back in 2000 and recommending an album or two to me. Weird stuff, gotta be in the right mood for them.

I love 'em, also Magma who we've also discussed here before. Two of the maddest experimental/prog groups.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Trevor Church from Haunt posted a bandcamp link to another band he's now in called Hysteria this morning. It's him and the bassist from Haunt + the drummer and guitarist/vocalist from Hell Fire. Initially I thought it was a new band, but apparently the band Hysteria existed prior to this (albeit without the two guys from Haunt).

Anyway, the song is catchy: https://churchrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/night-closing-in

I used to be such a prog-fiend, but I'm starting to sour on the genre lately. That being said, I like most of my metal to have at least some proginess in it. Say like...25%?

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Pitchfork released their 200 best albums of the decade. The 3 metal albums that made the cut are Deafheaven- Sunbather, Pallbearer- Foundations of Burden, and Portal- Vexovoid. LOLLLLLLLL. This is why I can't take their coverage of metal seriously.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    McKidjungleroomx
  • KreutzKreutz Registered User regular
    TIL that Vexovoid is both a band and an album, not necessarily involving the same people.

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Did any label have a track record like Noise did in the 80's? I could listen to just Noise albums thru 1993 and be fine.

autothrallFutt Bucker
    Metal Blade and Roadrunner/Roadracer in the 80s had amazing track records, Combat Records was pretty good too. Nothing beats Noise though.

Today...maybe Dark Descent, 20 Buck Spin, Indie Recordings, but these are all specialized to genres that were only in their infancy back then.

BlackDragon480desc
  • Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    Profound Lore has a pretty great lineup as well.

Something used to be here. It's gone now.
    Campy
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    I, Voidhanger has a lot of good albums if you're into that side of black metal.

Campydesc
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    20 Buck Spin is the heavy hitter IMO

They cover the major genres that are active today and most records they put out are fucking bangers

desc
    Not normally a huge fan of Novembers Doom but I have to say, I've got the promo for the new album and I like the sort of Katatonia and Pink Floyd influences they mix in, plus their doomier heavy parts feel more dynamic now with of a tempo range.

Sir CarcasssurrealitycheckSteevL
    I feel like I should like November's Doom more than I do. I'll throw on an album and really be digging it, but then by like song 2 I kind of want to switch to something else.