Due to a security update, you may have to reset your password. Don’t panic, nothing has gone wrong and your password is safe. If you don’t have access to that email, send Tube a message at [email protected] More info here: https://status.vanillaforums.com/incidents/2zdqxf3bt7mj
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Yeah, they usually have a good chunk of bands I've heard of - and often like, as well.

Any of you guys been on the cruise and have some good stories to tell?

I went on what was supposed to be the heavier-themed Barge to Hell in 2012. It was awesome. I don't think it sold very well, though, which is probably why there's only been one so far. I got to meet Novembers Doom and Paul remembered me from our IRC days in the 1990s, which was awesome.

One of the best things about it was just having a room to crash in when you're exhausted, though.

I'd absolutely go on one again once I have the time and money. It's the only way I'd ever do a cruise.

Jazz
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited November 5
    I'd love to go on a metal cruise (or a boardgame cruise) but, yeah, time and money. And now kids.

Also a new Haunt album in my promo bin...already?

autothrall on
    Futt BuckerBlackDragon480LoveIsUnityMcKid
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Spent a fair amount of time with the new Wilderun album now and I have to say it's objectively one of the most ambitious and complex pieces of music I've come across in a while. It's incredibly proggy, in the vein of the early 2000s IQ, or early Haken, and even a bit of Dreamtheater, but then the heavy parts hit and it's Still Life Opeth or modern Ocean. They kind of remind me a bit of Slice the Cake or Xanthochroid, but I feel like Wilderun's songs are more engaging and fun to listen to.

It's not my favourite album of the year as I generally like things a bit more consistently heavy, but it's in my top 10 for sure and maybe higher than that. Tracks like The Unimaginable Zero Summer and the Tyranny of Imagination are so fucking good and I keep going back to them.

autothrall wrote: »
    Also a new Haunt album in my promo bin...already?

Yeah, looks like it comes out in January. I liked what I heard a few months ago when he broadcast a mix of it live on Facebook.

In sadder news, Timi Hansen of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond fame passed away due to cancer a few days ago. :(

• VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ordered the new Esoteric album.

The Sun Came Up On The Left released their (his?) first album in almost a decade:

https://thesuncameupupontheleft.bandcamp.com/album/sounds-we-make-through-wind

• Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    If any of you heshers are going to be in Vancouver on December 1st, could you do ol’ Hank a favour and go see Daughters and Lingua Ignota in my stead? I’d go, but it’s a bit of a trip and I have not the funds.

Something used to be here. It's gone now.
    Vanguard wrote: »

It is pretty moving. Even when it's not moving.

Vanguard
  • JazzJazz Un-UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 7
    PM gives 'cast-iron' pledge to refuse second Scottish independence vote

So that's definitely happening then.

Oops, wrong thread!

Jazz on
  • KreutzKreutz Registered User regular
    edited November 7
    Jazz wrote: »

That's heavy metal.

Kreutz on
    surrealitycheckJazzjungleroomxBlackDragon480Vanguard
  • JazzJazz Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Crap. Sorry duders!

• VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It is pretty moving. Even when it's not moving.

The funeral march is a marathon, not a sprint

autothrall
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Picked up the new Opeth. Am really digging it. Not much more to say than what's already been said (oh, the curse of always being behind on releases). Although, nobody's pointed out that that's definitely some djent going on around 0:40 of "Charlatan". Never thought I'd hear that on an Opeth record.

Also got that Noise digipack reissue of Kreator's Coma of Souls. Needless to say it's really well put together like all the other reissues they've done.

Finally, I put in a few more listens on that Deathspell Omega and it finally clicked. I definitely found it more impenetrable than any of their other records; it took me about 7 listens to come around to it. Makes me worry about all the other great stuff I've missed by only giving things 2-3 listens before deciding if I like them or not...

autothrall
    Makes me worry about all the other great stuff I've missed by only giving things 2-3 listens before deciding if I like them or not...

This is always a worry for me!

FearmeisterDissociater
    I listened to Sunn O))) a dozen times before it clicked

Folks who miss the snappier Euro/German power metal sound of bands like Scanner or Mania in the 80s might dig this new EP from an Australian band.

BlackDragon480
    edited November 8
    If we haven't posted it yet. Pretty cool, I mean it's not his catchiest track ever, but for the most part proves the band still has the style and energy of the 80s. I like the arrangement. Only fitting to post this since they're playing tonight!

autothrall on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    That KD tune is alright, but hot damn that Galaxy song is good. There's a lot of potential there.

My color is black to the blind
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Not one of the heavier tunes on this new Karyn Crisis album, but cool.

After 2 listens to the whole thing, I think Dea Iside is my favorite track on their new album.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    edited November 8
    I wasn't sure at first what to think about this Blind Guardian orchestral album but it's really good! Video is quite awful though, of course, even if Hansi appears as 'The Blind Guardian', and half the songs on the album would have been better metalized.

autothrall on
    I wasn't sure at first what to think about this Blind Guardian orchestral album but it's really good! Video is quite awful though, of course, even if Hansi appears as 'The Blind Guardian', and half the songs on the album would have been better metalized.

I actually just came here to post this video. Pretty much tabbed out and listened to the music after watching a minute of it. I guess I'll end up buying it, but I'm still a bit wary. It makes me think of the intro to that song "Sacred" they did a few years ago, and I usually skip that song entirely because the intro bores me.

I did buy the CD for about $15, and have listened to the whole thing, and it's pretty solid.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I actually consider it a fairly ballsy move to remove most of the "metal" elements. Differentiates Hansi's concept work from the likes of Timo Tolkki or Luca Turilli.

Although I'm baffled by the fact he basically had unlimited time and budget and still didn't use a full choir all that much and just kept up the tradition of multi-tracking himself in nearly every chorus on the album.

edited November 8
    Well I thought I read that Andre also wrote and arranged much of the music, and they had Markus Heitz (fantasy author who wrote the 'Dwarves' and 'Alfar/Elves' series) write a prequel novel to lead up to the story on the album, so I can't give all the credit to Hansi alone. The story definitely has a very generic fantasy feel so I can see the comparison to Luca Turilli/Rhapsody. The orchestration has a lot of Wagner influence but that's nothing new for BG. Catchy stuff!

autothrall on
    BlackDragon480
    Russian Black Metallers Second to Sun released a new album today. Giving it a spin now:

edited November 8
    I was listening to the new Esoteric album and was like wow these last few songs were great

*checks phone, am 18 minutes into 2nd song*

Vanguard on
    autothrall
    I was listening to the new Esoteric album and was like wow these last few songs were great

No joke, I haven't been into their stuff this much in quite a few years.

No joke, I haven't been into their stuff this much in quite a few years.

Single songs are as good and varied as other albums. It’s funeral doom but they bring enough other elements to the table to keep you on your toes.

autothrall
    Auto was complaining about Blind Guardian's processed guitar tone for so long that Andre finally said "Ok! How about... no guitar tone!".

BlackDragon480autothrall
    Auto was complaining about Blind Guardian's processed guitar tone for so long that Andre finally said "Ok! How about... no guitar tone!".

Auto isn't really wrong on that score. I haven't been completely happy with the mix/production of a Blind Guardian album since A Night At the Opera.

EthelTheFrogAuralynx
    Even A Night At the Opera grates on my ears sometimes (I still love it, though). I think Imaginations had the best production, at least for my money: that perfect middle ground before it got too processed.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 9
    blind guardian showed up in sacred 2 in the weirdest cameo of all time

u could get a magic guitar weapon from one of them iirc

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    also everytrhing about this performance of hocus pocus makes me laugh

look at those facial expressions

obF2Wuw.png
    BlackDragon480autothrallTOGSolid
    Thijs had to wait for the Scarface size bump of coke he did backstage to kick in before yodeling.

I have no idea what the rest of the band was wired on, considering they did most of the whole 7 minute original in a shade over 4 minutes.

Symphony X doesnt speed shit up that much live.

symphony x arent even yodelling and fluting down the mic are they even trying? they gotta get on that dutch shit

obF2Wuw.png
    edited November 9

I wish I had that level of power! I'd have Coroner reformed in 15 minutes and half of Scott Burns' death metal albums from 1991 remixed to my satisfaction!

Also, King Diamond was KILLER last night...more energy than I've ever seen them perform with before, and an incredible set list, they even played my favorite tune "Burn" off The Eye! King's voice went off a little bit on a few tunes but considering how spot on he was elsewhere and just how hard his job is it was no big deal and hell I remember that happening when I saw them almost 30 years ago. Super show, I brought my wife and even she loved it and she barely likes any metal.

I think this was the set list (with intro and outro tunes), please help me edit it if not, I think I'm missing one:
    (The Wizard - Uriah Heep)
    (St. Lucifer's Hospital)
    The Candle
    Behind These Walls
    (Funeral)
    Arrival
    A Mansion in Darkness
    (Let It Be Done)
    Voodoo
    Halloween
    Masquerade of Madness
    (Out from the Asylum)
    Welcome Home
    The Invisible Guests
    Sleepless Nights
    The Lake
    Burn
    Black Horsemen
    (Something Weird)

Uncle Acid was very good too, I only got to catch a couple songs from Idle Hands but they sounded like the CD so I assume that's good. Didn't get to see the other PA guys, we were pretty wedged in for most of the show, lot of people and had to get home to relieve the babysitting grandmother afterwards.

The set list for Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats:
    I'll Cut You Down
    Shockwave City
    Death's Door
    Mind Crawler
    Pusher Man
    Evil Love
    Ritual Knife
    13 Candles

autothrall on
    Futt BuckerBlackDragon480JazzAtaxrxes
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    Agreed 100%, and aside from "Voodoo" I thought the set was perfect. I actually got emotional when he did "Behind These Walls".

My color is black to the blind
    autothrall
    Uncle Acid’s your earlier this year is among the best shows I’ve seen

No bullshit doom and it’s hit after hit

autothrall