[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    Black Royal has a new album coming out next month. Nice doomy death-metal with some tight hooks in there.

https://suiciderecordsfinland.bandcamp.com/album/firebride-2

• Descendant XDescendant X Hank Facepunch Registered User regular
    Another track from the upcoming Night Flight Orchestra. This is super-80s throwback.

Good song, but isn’t this just New Wave?

Something used to be here. It's gone now.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I'd say this one's about 60% New Wave, %40 Butt-Rock.

I welcome our butt wave overlords.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    Sir CarcassKakodaimonosautothrall
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Very nice, I loved the album Sweven and would certainly be down for something in the same vein.

autothrall
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    So the new Ozzy Osbourne album, a lot of people were really ripping on this but now having listened to it I think there are actually a handful of decent metal tunes on there, every time I keep thinking to myself that this might be the last time I hear him on a new record, and to that extent this isn't so bad, his voice hangs in there. I do think the stuff is more groovy/bluesy ala Sabbath than his prior solo albums, but there are some nice touches like backing choirs, duet with Elton John, etc. I dig "Straight to Hell", "Under the Graveyard", "Goodbye", and the title track. There are some corny tunes like "Scary Little Green Men" and "Eat Me", but even they have their moments musically.

BlackDragon480
    I haven't heard the whole thing, but I was surprised how much I took to Under the Graveyard as a song, considering it's as prominent on mainstream radio as the latest from Five Finger Death Punch. It and Ordinary Man are the 2 I've heard so far that really hung with me, will be getting the whole digital album next paycheck most likely.

autothrall
    edited February 13
    In other news, the new Psychotic Waltz is pretty damn good, they still have it even after what, 20 years?

And here's the new Necrowretch to check out too. Happy Valentine's day!

autothrall on
    BlackDragon480Fearmeister
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    The new Ozzy tunes just make me sad. He sounds so close to death.

My color is black to the blind
    edited February 13
    Really!? I think he sounds pretty damn good for his age on this record!

However, the new Ihsahn EP is killing me right now, so good, can't wait for the CD to show up. Even the Lenny Kravitz cover kicks butt. Yes, a Lenny Kravitz cover. Honestly the two covers (he also does "Wrathchild") feel a little too distinct from the three originals, so it's a little offputting, but each of the tracks individually is wild.

autothrall on
    LoveIsUnity
    edited February 13
    If you're missing Zak Stevens-fronted Savatage, this is like that but better as I was never a fan of his albums with them. But regardless, he uses his voice quite well here.

autothrall on
    Happy Valentine's day to all you assholes.

o27ehkfidkeh.jpg

autothrallBlackDragon480FearmeisterJazzLoveIsUnityDescendant XXantomassurrealitycheck
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    If you're missing Zak Stevens-fronted Savatage, this is like that but better as I was never a fan of his albums with them. But regardless, he uses his voice quite well here.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Savatage songs with him using the vocal counterpoint gimmick as heard at the end of "Chance."

This song wasn't bad at all, but I haven't kept up with his stuff. He sounds a bit different now, but not in a bad way.

BlackDragon480
    Bro. Dude. Bro.

autothrallNetscape
    edited February 14
    Some effective, depressive black metal here, very melancholic, almost like a mix of early Forgotten Tomb and Shining.

Aaaand...another killer black metal record, this one uses its distant production really well with gorgeous walls of despair in the guitars. The band is called Ossaert, and the album Bedehuis.

autothrall on
    FearmeisterLoveIsUnity
    Bro. Dude. Bro.

At least it doesn't last long...

edited February 16
    I don't usually have a lot of recommendations for groove metal, but I feel like this album might appeal to fans of stuff like Fear Factory, Daath, Prong, Stam1na, Gojira, Machine Head, maybe also some Soilwork and The Defaced.

autothrall on
    surrealitycheckFearmeister
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 17
    all honest burgers appreciate stam1na

perkele...

eternally reminded by a finnish friend who pointed out that "enkelinmurskain" is not just "angel crusher" but the suffix apaprently implies "machine" in finnish, in a similar though less goofy way to english "ator" or "tron"... thus "angel crushing machine" which is pretty gloriously edgy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    autothrall
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    edited February 17
    Goniloc

Fearmeister on
    BlackDragon480Sir Carcass
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 17
    talking of finnish language music i'm not sure i would classify happoradio as metal exactly but this is a classic of its particular bouncy rock kind. it is to me deeply entertaining that the finnish word for love is RAKKAUS, a word that has pockets so full of consonants they jangle when it walks

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    BlackDragon480
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    hesher thread: I need recs for the best sci-fi themed metal, or metal that makes you think of flying into the cold uncaring void of space even if it's not explicitly about that. Thanks in advance!

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
    edited February 17
    hesher thread: I need recs for the best sci-fi themed metal, or metal that makes you think of flying into the cold uncaring void of space even if it's not explicitly about that. Thanks in advance!

Voivod is the obvious one, with tons of sci-fi concept albums over their 35 year existence, totally unique, weird way of playing, that doesn't feel like it was made on our planet, and numerous masterpiece albums under their belts. I'm not just saying that because they're my favorite band in the universe, but because they are sci-fi through and through. Their last two albums Target Earth and The Wake are very impressive places to start, but also legendary albums like Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, Killing Technology and The Outer Limits.

Vektor for sci-fi thrash inspired partly by Voivod. Ditto on Droid.

Nocturnus, Nucleus, and Blood Incantation all do sci-fi death metal, as does Pestilence on a few albums like Spheres.

If you're a Warhammer 40K fan, Bolt Thrower's classic Realm of Chaos is mandatory.

Ayreon has a lot of sci fi concepts, all-star lineup science fiction prog metal.

Agent Steel is speed/power metal with a lot of alien takeover lyrics. Gamma Ray is another band that tackles the theme with records like Somewhere Out in Space.

There are lots of cosmic-leaning black metal bands, ranging from very minimal ambient/black like Darkspace to a bigger, radiant sound like Mare Cognitum has.

Plenty of heavy metal bands like Slough Feg have sci-fi concepts, they've even got an album about the old Pen & Paper RPG Traveller.

Some of Bal-Sagoth's epic war metal albums have a sci-fi theme as opposed to their usual fantasy.

Galaktikon for something even more cheesy, it's the guy behind Dethklok doing another project. For that matter, some of Devin Townsend's albums like Ziltoid have sci-fi themes.

A lot of doom metal and stoner rock bands delve into a lot of surreal, pulpy and retro sci-fi fare, like Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard.

Hell, even the mighty Iron Maiden has a lot of sci-fi themes running through their albums.

Plenty of stuff in almost all the metal sub-genres!

autothrall on
    Futt BuckerFearmeisterDescendant XMolotovCockatooBlackDragon480AuralynxLoveIsUnityKreutz
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker Registered User regular
    Sci-Fi metal? Can't go wrong with Scanner.

My color is black to the blind
    autothrall
    theres also a kind of... distorted end of synthwave that is ugly enough to get in the same generic sonic area eg

obF2Wuw.png
    AuralynxBlackDragon480
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'll also throw out Oranssi Pazuzu:

They actually have a new album coming out in April.

autothrall
    edited February 17
    Not related to the sci fi metal discussion but here's yet another awesome new black metal album from a new group out of Sweden. Depressing and beautiful.

And if you're a big fan of the Brazilian nasty speed metal stuff akin to Venom, bands like Power from Hell, Whipstriker or Atomic Roar, then have at this one, pretty neat little one-man band. Nasty, underproduced stuff with evil vocals, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

autothrall on
    Fearmeistersurrealitycheck
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    All of Allegaeon's stuff is Sci-Fi themed. But also, I have to recommend the Ziltoid albums by Devin Townsend.

BlackDragon480Sir CarcassKreutz
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    All of Allegaeon's stuff is Sci-Fi themed. But also, I have to recommend the Ziltoid albums by Devin Townsend.

Devin's stuff can be hit or miss with me, but the first Ziltoid album is probably in my top 5 favorite albums. I'm not usually an album guy, but that is one of the few that I almost have to listen to the whole thing, and it always flys by.

Dissociater
  • FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 18
    To add to that Arjen Lucassen (Of Ayreon fame) has a couple of sci-fi albums based on various sci-fi movie, book, and tv properties under the name Star One

Feriluce on
    XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
    SteevLBlackDragon480
    edited February 18
    Feriluce wrote: »
    To add to that Arjen Lucassen (Of Ayreon fame) has a couple of sci-fi albums based on various sci-fi movie, book, and tv properties under the name Star One

Best offering from it would be the Live On Earth concert album from 2003. It's the whole first Star One album and some Ayreon tracks live and features the likes of Russell Allen and Floor Jansen before they were well known commodities.

BlackDragon480 on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Iron Savior specialize in a particular 60s / 70s - style Science-Fantasy type of storytelling, as well.

Space... what is the point of it? You have no idea.
    OSvv7zs.png

BlackDragon480autothrall
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone was planning to go to the Opeth shows in Worcester, Toronto, or Montreal, the shows have been cancelled.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Cursed EarthRegistered User regular

Voivod is the obvious one, with tons of sci-fi concept albums over their 35 year existence, totally unique, weird way of playing, that doesn't feel like it was made on our planet, and numerous masterpiece albums under their belts. I'm not just saying that because they're my favorite band in the universe, but because they are sci-fi through and through. Their last two albums Target Earth and The Wake are very impressive places to start, but also legendary albums like Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, Killing Technology and The Outer Limits.

Vektor for sci-fi thrash inspired partly by Voivod. Ditto on Droid.

Nocturnus, Nucleus, and Blood Incantation all do sci-fi death metal, as does Pestilence on a few albums like Spheres.

If you're a Warhammer 40K fan, Bolt Thrower's classic Realm of Chaos is mandatory.

Ayreon has a lot of sci fi concepts, all-star lineup science fiction prog metal.

Agent Steel is speed/power metal with a lot of alien takeover lyrics. Gamma Ray is another band that tackles the theme with records like Somewhere Out in Space.

There are lots of cosmic-leaning black metal bands, ranging from very minimal ambient/black like Darkspace to a bigger, radiant sound like Mare Cognitum has.

Plenty of heavy metal bands like Slough Feg have sci-fi concepts, they've even got an album about the old Pen & Paper RPG Traveller.

Some of Bal-Sagoth's epic war metal albums have a sci-fi theme as opposed to their usual fantasy.

Galaktikon for something even more cheesy, it's the guy behind Dethklok doing another project. For that matter, some of Devin Townsend's albums like Ziltoid have sci-fi themes.

A lot of doom metal and stoner rock bands delve into a lot of surreal, pulpy and retro sci-fi fare, like Orange Goblin and Electric Wizard.

Hell, even the mighty Iron Maiden has a lot of sci-fi themes running through their albums.

Plenty of stuff in almost all the metal sub-genres!
    All of this but I would add the Voivod's "Phobos" is IMO one of their best concept albums and isn't really talked about a lot for some reason. It's so good.

Best offering from it would be the Live On Earth concert album from 2003. It's the whole first Star One album and some Ayreon tracks live and features the likes of Russell Allen and Floor Jansen before they were well known commodities.

Watching/listening to this in the first time in a couple of years, I'd completely forgotten about a bit of awesome from this version of Amazing Flight:

Guitar vs. Keytar for the ages at around 4:20.

Feriluce
  • MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Thanks all for the sci fi recs! I’m slowly working through them all and there’s tons of gold, y’all rock!

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
    autothrallBlackDragon480Feriluce
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

Watching/listening to this in the first time in a couple of years, I'd completely forgotten about a bit of awesome from this version of Amazing Flight:

Guitar vs. Keytar for the ages at around 4:20.

Yeah, the whole live video is amazing and cheesy and wonderful. Most of the vocalists enter the stage through a goddamn stargate!

BlackDragon480
    The new Viscera album coming out in March, Obsidian is a top-notch mix of technical deathcore. Unique Leader are really filling out their roster.

https://uniqueleaderrecords.bandcamp.com/album/obsidian