As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Couch Slut just dropped a brand new album. Haven't listened yet but the lyrics are nice and fucked.

http://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/take-a-chance-on-rock-n-roll

My color is black to the blind
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    I've been listening through the Vader album and it's quite sick, great stuff, the only issue I take is that it's not as dynamic as some other recent albums. Welcome to the Morbid Reich is still my standard for excellence with them, but this one has largely been a blast.

I'm digging the new Vader but I miss those grandiose string sections they used to have.

My color is black to the blind
    edited May 2020
    Thought this one was pretty interesting, it's a Maurice de Jong project, he of five gajillion other bands including Gnaw Their Tongues, De Magia Veterum, Cloak of Altering, etc. This particular album is very warm sounding but dense black metal with intense programmed drumming, lots of catchy synths. Kind of addictive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KNPIYnGAE8

autothrall on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    This hurt my fretting hand just watching it. Bradley has balls arpeggiating all of those add9 and sus chords, made the shapes and stretches all fucked up:

https://youtu.be/Ag0HX8zxd7M

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDKe8n-vCZY

I never heard a Rage b-side from the Manni era that I didn't fuckin love

• KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular

Lars is totally that guy at the gym who grunts on the elliptical machine.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular

How has he not over the last 40 years learned how to play basic beats without looking like he is going to die at any minute?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Yesterday's bandcamp haul was a little less than the one I did back in March:

Haunt - Flashback (preorder)
    Toehider - I LIKE IT! (preorder)
    Mutoid Man - War Moans
    Estuary - To Exist and Endure
    Fury - The Grand Prize

Side note: I've been getting into Slough Feg recently, with Down Among the Deadmen and Hardworlder making it into my collection so far. I had a difficult time enjoying them live during the Frost & Fire IV festival 2 years ago, but I mostly chalked that up to the general fatigue of being stuck inside that venue for 6+ hours. At least I was been able to recognize at the time that they sounded interesting enough for me to check them out at a later date.

SteevL on
    You can't go wrong with Slough Feg. Check out their mates Hammers of Misfortune too, another excellent band.

Mick Kenny's new Make Them Die Slowly project. Sounds so similar to his mainstay Anaal Nathrakh that I'm curious why it's even being branded differently. So if you like that band, check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6qT0a_kpAY&list=PL-5rttn2EiIMZzk9C8svn9EydyTHlkN-R

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    A girl I had a massive crush on yet friendzone'd me sings soprano and her favorite band is Kamelot. She's such a cool gal that I embraced the friendship. She told me her singing among the crowd near the stage put a visibly confused face on one of the band members.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Cantido wrote: »
    A girl I had a massive crush on yet friendzone'd me sings soprano and her favorite band is Kamelot. She's such a cool gal that I embraced the friendship. She told me her singing among the crowd near the stage put a visibly confused face on one of the band members.

Nice, I've elicited that type of reaction before when on the rail and singing along. Given my sky high range I'll sing lead lines and choruses shifted an octave up and I can slice through their monitor mix and freak them out.

Never perplexed anyone from Kamelot, but back in 2012 I clearly got Russel Allen and Michael Romeo from Symphony X's attention during the start of When All Is Lost. I added a bunch of ornamentation and got a smile from Russ and a thumbs-up from Mike.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    A few years ago I was at a metal fest and the band Cloven Hoof was doing the thing where the singer puts the mic up to people in the crowd to sing along. One of the guys in the crowd sounded surprisingly good, as if he should be on the stage.

Later in the fest, when Visigoth took the stage, I realized that dude from the crowd was Visigoth's singer. I think they had actually been touring with Cloven Hoof and the festival was one of their stops.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Some of you may remember the 2001 movie Rock Star, based (extremely) loosely on the Judas Priest "singer from tribute band ends up fronting the real thing" story, starring Marky Mark Wahlberg, Dominic West, Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Spall (in one of his more underrated roles) and assorted musos.

The movie has two moments where a fan singing in the crowd catches the attention of the lead singer by being amazing. One, of course, is our lead character, before he joins the band. The second, near the end, is just before he decides to leave it. But the guy playing the fan who Marky Mark notices at the end? None other than Myles Kennedy of future Alter Bridge/Slash (et al) fame.

Jazz on
    edited May 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Some of you may remember the 2001 movie Rock Star, based (extremely) loosely on the Judas Priest "singer from tribute band ends up fronting the real thing" story, starring Marky Mark Wahlberg, Dominic West, Jennifer Aniston, Timothy Spall (in one of his more underrated roles) and assorted musos.

The movie has two moments where a fan singing in the crowd catches the attention of the lead singer by being amazing. One, of course, is our lead character, before he joins the band. The second, near the end, is just before he decides to leave it. But the guy playing the fan who Marky Mark notices at the end? None other than Myles Kennedy of future Alter Bridge/Slash (et al) fame.

Michael Steele/Starr from Steel Panther was the guy in the recording booth trying out when Whalberg and Aniston first arrive for his audition.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2020

Michael Steele/Starr from Steel Panther was the guy in the recording booth trying out when Whalberg and Aniston first arrive for his audition.

I saw Michael Starr in concert long before I would know who he was. I saw the Rock Never Stops tour in 1998, where he was singing for L.A. Guns. It wasn't until several years ago that I found out that was him at the time. I just knew it was a blonde guy I didn't know or expect, but he sounded pretty good.

Sir Carcass on
    edited May 2020

I saw Michael Starr in concert long before I would know who he was. I saw the Rock Never Stops tour in 1998, where he was singing for L.A. Guns. It wasn't until several years ago that I found out that was him at the time. I just knew it was a blonde guy I didn't know or expect, but he sounded pretty good.

Much like the era they homage, the image and attitude they portray tends to overshadow the music and how objectively good most of their shit is:

https://youtu.be/jR3USU3byE0

Lexxi is the weakest link in terms of musicianship, but he's still above average.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Cattle Decapitation is my new favourite band, and Bring Back the Plague my favourite song of the week.

https://youtu.be/lXGSLKWeVwE

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Man, Syphilic really got to me with that new album cover. Usually I have a high threshold against these things, especially on absurd brutal death metal album covers, but this one shook me up. I won't share the artwork here.

I don't know if you guys are into Bong but I've been digging them lately, mostly soundscape stuff but they do have some drone/doom albums. Just a very great backdrop to lose myself in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7taoFDndms

edited May 2020
    When this song started, I had my doubts that the 2 Minutes to Late Night guy would be able to pull off Danzig, but he did a pretty good job. One of my favorite Danzig songs too:

https://youtu.be/DzsR5fxWkho

edit: also, good parody of Danzig's home video stuff

SteevL on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Man, Syphilic really got to me with that new album cover. Usually I have a high threshold against these things, especially on absurd brutal death metal album covers, but this one shook me up. I won't share the artwork here.

I just had a look at their Bandcamp page to see what you were talking about. I think the album cover to which you’re referring is the only one you could post here without being jailed.

Bloody hell.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    It's interesting how their least gory cover is the most fucked up.

I kind of wish I hadn't looked at those.

edited May 2020
    I take all the blame for mentioning it, guys. But yeah, damn, haunted me all day.

Don't even think about reading the dude's lyrics, I remember from the earlier albums they can get quite uncomfortable even as someone used to the brutal Cannibal Corpse style.

autothrall on
  • AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    I take all the blame for mentioning it, guys. But yeah, damn, haunted me all day.

Don't even think about reading the dude's lyrics, I remember from the earlier albums they can get quite uncomfortable even as someone used to the brutal Cannibal Corpse style.

I never really delved into Cannibal Corpse's lyrics at more than a surface level but they always seemed more cartoony to me. Comic-booky?

Ataxrxes wrote: »

I never really delved into Cannibal Corpse's lyrics at more than a surface level but they always seemed more cartoony to me. Comic-booky?

Yeah, they seem impersonal and just brutal and goofy for the sake of it, whereas something like this (and not just this specific guy), as goofy as some of his albums might look, the lyrics seem a little more specific, personal and imaginative. Like fantasies. Like reading some of Edward Lee's cruder, more sickening horror novels (don't get me wrong, he's got some great higher concept ones too).

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    CC's Force Fed Broken Glass is probably the only song that fucked with me a bit, especially when Chris Barnes does that fucked up gurgling

edited May 2020
    First metal album ever released by a brand of canned water? I guess the idea was that they took all the negative critiques they received for their product and made song lyrics out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3L7ScukeIA

autothrall on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2020
    Killswitch Engage releases Atonement II as "b sides" on Bandcamp to raise money for COVID.

Also, puts out the best material they've done in a long fucking time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDcxrMnrxCo

jungleroomx on
    New ...and Oceans album. Doesn't happen every day. Seems to retain both their earlier style and some of the later cyber-black metal elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF5rgcZS49E

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    This first thing I did after watching Lars in that Metallica video was jump to watching a video of Vitek.

https://youtu.be/eTuIL9LnNYY

Then I sat and pondered the nature of the universe. RIP Vitek.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
    Sad indeed, would have been cool to see what he would have played on.

I won't knock on Lars too hard though, without him I wouldn't have had three of my favorite metal albums of all time.

Lots of new stuff this week, Forgotten Tomb, Green Carnation, Naglfar, Secrets of the Moon, Winterfylleth, Sojourner, and Mekong Delta.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Ensiferum has a new album coming out.

https://youtu.be/wRhD39LI800

Sounds a lot more like their earlier albums.

Huh, just got the new Green Carnation autoripped from Amazon (no estimated delivery date on the physical CD). I'm surprised it's only 5 songs, one of which is apparently a re-recording of a song from their first album (which I've actually never heard) and another is a cover of Black Sabbath's "Solitude". That being said, it's still 45 minutes long. I'm not really bothered by any of this, just surprised as someone who just preordered the album without following anything about it closely.

q9q0zwkfqkci.jpg

This discussion has been closed.