[Hesher] Bloody Hesher

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    The future looks bright! Totally swiping that to share on my social mediaz.

Not too impressed by any of the new stuff this week. The Green Carnation, Mekong Delta and Winterfylleth are all decent but don't really tug on my earstrings enough to keep listening repeatedly.

Jazz
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    New Ayreon announced for a 2020 release: (just a 40-second teaser)

BlackDragon480Feriluce
    Also, who's ready for some Björn Strid-led dirty dancing:

Sir CarcassBlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The gold mic and glove really add to the atmosphere.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    Sir Carcass
    edited May 9
    Did anyone ever grab the entire third Vandallus album off Bandcamp?

Kinda digging this mellow heavy metal tune and the self-aware silliness of the video.

autothrall on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    Century Media is going to do a free online festival on the 14th:

https://www.centurymedia.com/newsdetailed.aspx?IdNews=24119

It has a pretty stacked lineup:

Angelus Apatrida (Spain, Thrash Metal)
    Baest (Denmark, Death Metal)
    Bonded (Germany, Thrash Metal)
    Borknagar (Norway, Avantgarde Black Metal)
    Dead Lord (Sweden, Hard Rock)
    Deserted Fear (Germany, Death Metal)
    Hideous Divinity (Italy, Death Metal)
    Insomnium (Finland, Melodic Death Metal)
    Lucifer (Sweden, Heavy Rock)
    Omnium Gatherum (Finland, Melodic Death Metal)
    Svart Crown (France, Death/Black Metal)
    The Offering (USA, Progressive Metal)
    Voivod (Canada, Progressive Sci-Fi Metal)

SteevLautothrallBlackDragon480flamebroiledchickenCampyXantomas
    Definitely tuning in for Lucifer, Voivod, Borknagar and Dead Lord to say the least.

Ataxrxes
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 11
    autothrall wrote: »
    Definitely tuning in for Lucifer, Voivod, Borknagar and Dead Lord to say the least.

For me subtract Borknagar and add Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum.

BlackDragon480 on
    flamebroiledchicken
    Borknagar, Insomnium, Lucifer, and Voivod are definitely bands I want to check out that day. Looks like it starts just as I get off work for the week, so that's cool.

They're going to keep the stream available for 25 hours so you should be able to see everyone you want to.

autothrallBlackDragon480Fearmeister
    edited May 12
    Thoroughly enjoying this album, if you dig spacious, atmospheric, rustic black metal you might also.

And another one if you're fond of the throwback raw symphonic black metal that's been thankfully rearing its ugly head again lately.

autothrall on
    Fearmeister
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    track from new caligulas horse album, imo better than the others

obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 13
    Enjoying this one, some groovy progressive mathcore/hardcore/djentcore with huge Gojira-like production and a nice atmospheric undercurrent.

autothrall on
    Fearmeisterjungleroomx
    Took 6 weeks, but At the Movies now takes us to Shermer, Illinois

Interesting choice, I figured with Pretty In Pink they'd go with If You Leave by OMD

• jungleroomxjungleroomx 100% BEEF MEAT Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Enjoying this one, some groovy progressive mathcore/hardcore/djentcore with huge Gojira-like production and a nice atmospheric undercurrent.

Fuck my wallet I guess

Make. Time.
    Here's that Century Media Isolation Festival:

edited May 14
    SteevL wrote: »
    Here's that Century Media Isolation Festival:

This has been interesting. They're all pre-recorded performances made specifically for the festival, but they vary in show length. Omnium Gatherum is the only band that actually played on a stage...and they only played one song. Lucifer played three songs. Borknagar just played two: "Voices" and "Up North" from their new album.

Voivod is about to go on.

edit: Snake is sorta just sitting by a window in his house, singing into his cellphone. This is surreal but cool:
    hjem8vzruuv1.png

SteevL on
    edited May 14
    Man, Voivod sounded awesome, same with Lucifer, love that cozy sound.

Sound wasn't that great for Omnium Gatherum or Insomnium but that's because they went with a stage show rather than the jam space or studios like most of the other bands were using. Big difference.

autothrall on
    SteevLBlackDragon480
  • XantomasXantomas totally awesome? Registered User regular
    yeah OG and Insomnium were disappointing. I was super happy with Borknagar's Up North performance though. Whyyyyyyy only 2 songs?? :cry:

I can't wait for Insomnium's livestream of Winter's Gate in the next couple weeks though, if they are using that stage and setup again I hope the sound is better. :cry::cry:

autothrall
    Have y'all heard the new King Diamond

autothrallKreutzBlackDragon480Sir Carcass
    edited May 15
    I'm not too surprised or appalled by the genre change, King, but why did you abandon Satan?

autothrall on
  • KreutzKreutz Registered User regular
    That's not at all how I pictured him without face paint.

Sir CarcassFearmeister
    edited May 15
    New Vassafor track, their last album completely immersed me with its hostile atmosphere, one of my faves the year it came out; this one doesn't sound to be much different, and that cover art effing rules.

autothrall on
    Fearmeisterflamebroiledchicken
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited May 15
    as a quarantine thing carpenter brut put up their disgraceful (but appropriate) version of maniac

and as a counterpoint the at the movies version

soon the entirety of the 80s will have a synthwave / at the movies version to compare

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    autothrallAuralynxBlackDragon480Sir Carcass
    also that track reminds me of the existence of klone which are a fun-ish prog metal band

obF2Wuw.png
    edited May 15
    Primal Fear are really cementing their status as the best Judas Priest tribute band out there.

A new song from their upcoming album, Metal Commando.

Edit: And Antichrist Demoncore's new album is out. If you're looking for some satanic, straight-edge, vegan grindcore/powerviolence it's right here.

Kakodaimonos on
    surrealitycheckBlackDragon480autothrall
    edited May 15
    Ha! Primal Fear has been doing that since their sophomore Nuclear Fire in 1999.

Why Priest didn't hire him when he tried out is beyond me. Instead we got try-hard Ripper. Ralf-ord has been my go-to Halford for decades (although Firepower by the original article is awesome, respect given). I honestly love the 1999-2002 Primal Fear period just as much as anything by JP other than like Painkiller, Stained Glass, Sin After Sin and Sad Wings of Destiny.

That said, I liked them a lot better during the Henny Wolter days, they were just more exciting. Still put out good albums from time to time. Also, Henny Wolter-era Primal Fear, one of the most amazing live shows I have ever seen, perfect and powerful.

autothrall on
    Kakodaimonos
    edited May 15
    New Okkultokrati album is very cool, atmospheric black/punk metal with raucous vocals. The album just sounds like a beautiful murder in the woods.

And, to no surprise to me, the new Khthoniik Cerviiks album is also great, I have long dubbed these guys the 'black metal Voivod' and this album doesn't let me down in that regards!

autothrall on
    Fearmeister

tesseract put their hat in the ring

obF2Wuw.png
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    1994: Prong Cleansing needs its review link :wink:

autothrall
    edited May 17
    New Ruadh album, if you're into the UKz atmospherics folk/black metalz. The clean male vocals still need a little bit of work but they're fairly powerful and emotive doing that Quorthon thing better than Quorthon did. Overall I'm really enjoying this though.

autothrall on
    Fearmeister
    edited May 17
    Mike Patton got together with Charlie Benante, Scott Ian, and Dan Lilker to do a different take on S.O.D.'s "Speak English or Die"

SteevL on
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Anyone else spinning the new Horn record, Mohngang? Pretty solid Pagan Black Metal from Germany. Only complaint is that sometimes it tries to overextend itself (see the last minute or two of Satt scheint der Sud der Tat, which just feels totally unecessary).

autothrall
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 18

also this cover of neil young's southern man kills and is the best thing they've done imo

Vanguard on
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Hey, everyone. On today's episode of "Recommend Ethel Some Stuff"... Classical music! I'm curious what all of your favorite works of classical music are. Even though I've been playing the piano since I was but a wee lad, I've realized that I'm not terribly well versed in the classical canon. And I'm posting here because it seems like the recommendations I get from classical-buffs tend to be highfalutin stuff that don't actually do much for me, so I figured my hesher friends might do a better job.

I'll start by submitting my favorite: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, which is coincidentally (or not so coincidentally) what I've been practicing on the piano for months now. I highly recommend the Decca recording that contains Vladimir Ashkenazy playing the original piano piece and then conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra in his own orchestral arrangement. The Ravel arrangement is far more popular, but I think Ashkenazy's is superior in its authenticity to the vision of the original. Ravel's feels too much like a show piece.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hey, everyone. On today's episode of "Recommend Ethel Some Stuff"... Classical music! I'm curious what all of your favorite works of classical music are. Even though I've been playing the piano since I was but a wee lad, I've realized that I'm not terribly well versed in the classical canon. And I'm posting here because it seems like the recommendations I get from classical-buffs tend to be highfalutin stuff that don't actually do much for me, so I figured my hesher friends might do a better job.

I'll start by submitting my favorite: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, which is coincidentally (or not so coincidentally) what I've been practicing on the piano for months now. I highly recommend the Decca recording that contains Vladimir Ashkenazy playing the original piano piece and then conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra in his own orchestral arrangement. The Ravel arrangement is far more popular, but I think Ashkenazy's is superior in its authenticity to the vision of the original. Ravel's feels too much like a show piece.

Beethoven's 7th, 2nd movement, is pretty much the gold standard as far as I've been concerned since piano lessons as a kid. Probably qualifies as highfalutin but it's just real good, so I feel no shame.

Handel's Sarabande in D minor has some of the best handoffs between the low and high ends of an orchestra that I know of. Dug up this really excellent live version doing some looking around on Youtube.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

BlackDragon480EthelTheFrog
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Great picks.

I didn't mean anything disparaging by "highfalutin", it's just that some people seem to discount works like The Nutcracker simply because they're popular. You know, snobbery. It's everywhere. But, regardless, if it's good then it's good.

BlackDragon480Auralynx

i think is good to try a wide mix especially composers that are cool but dont get much play eg granados

u can always cheat and include some modern stuff from different ends eg ades or reich

or

and theres a lot of stuff like dvorak or part that is not hard to listen to but gud. and of course chopin

obF2Wuw.png
    AuralynxEthelTheFrogautothrall
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx 100% BEEF MEAT Registered User regular
    This one snuck back up on me this week.

Album isn't as good as this song, but it's still a kicker.

Make. Time.