Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Magic The Gathering: Arena] The CCG that started it all, now F2P. New set incoming

1457910102

Posts

  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Lol fine, I'll just set my digital drinking bird to 15 seconds next time I play someone whose win con is chaining nexus of fate until I run out of cards on the ladder. I don't want to intentionally waste someone's time, that'd just be inconsiderate.

    furbat on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I mean in most games automating the play is against the TOS, although I'm not sure of MTGA's stance on that.

    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Here's what I'm rolling with in constructed. I'm still afraid to blow any WCs until I'm certain I can build something that's worth crafting in the meta to do constructed gold events with. So far this isn't doing badly in quickplay.

    3 Emmara, Soul of the Accord (GRN) 168
    13 Plains (RIX) 192
    10 Forest (RIX) 196
    2 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
    3 Saproling Migration (DAR) 178
    1 March of the Multitudes (GRN) 188
    2 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
    2 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
    3 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
    1 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
    1 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
    1 Assure // Assemble (GRN) 221
    1 Conclave Guildmage (GRN) 162
    2 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
    1 Ledev Champion (GRN) 186
    2 Conclave Cavalier (GRN) 161
    2 Flight of Equenauts (GRN) 11
    2 Knightly Valor (M19) 20
    3 Parhelion Patrol (GRN) 22
    3 Llanowar Elves (DAR) 168
    1 Llanowar Elves (M19) 314
    1 Shalai, Voice of Plenty (DAR) 35

    What is this I don't even.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    If you're a position where you're incapable of winning but you won't concede then the only person wasting your time is yourself.

    Twitch - Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224
    scherbchendiscridermilski21stCenturyNeadenBSoB
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Chaining nexus of fate forever is you having no win condition.

    But a control deck that waits for you to deck yourself does have a win condition. It's very annoying but there's a marked difference there.

    Before I mentioned that I feel like infinite chaining nexus of fate was cheating, which I still believe is essentially true. This teferi deck is awful to play against and I assume awful to play as but it still aims to win the game, regardless of whether their opponent concedes.

    Neaden
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean in most games automating the play is against the TOS, although I'm not sure of MTGA's stance on that.

    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    Had a Nexus of Fate deck just run out of burn spells to win the game with, largely because he thinned his deck by playing Banefires for X=0.
    Gonna set up an autopass script because the Reveal button kept waiting my input for no reason.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Axen wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    Docshifty wrote: »
    If your deck is entirely counter, clear, draw, and 4 Teferi's, I am absolutely going to make you play out the entire game until I run out of cards to draw without feeling even slightly bad.

    Especially since Teferi is his own fucking protection from decking himself.

    If you want to make them play out the game but don't want to sit there just make a script that presses space every 30 seconds. This is really the most polite thing to do obviously. You don't want to deny them the 45 minute game of solitaire they so crave.

    Alternatively, people don't play forever games when their gold is on the line so stick to Bo1 constructed events.

    Advertising you're writing a script to rope people you don't like seems like extremely poor form

    I'm not roping them because I don't like them, I'm making them play the game out. Don't put me in a position where I either have to concede or sit there for an hour. If 10 minutes into the game you've done nothing but chained nexus of fate, I'll just set a script to auto space and walk away. So far I've done it once and I did it during a game where I had enough time to get frustrated, install the program, write the script, and set it to work all while tabbing back to pass priority. I get that everyone finds different things fun, but if you really want to play a deck that relies on your opponent conceding or sit there for an hour you deserve to sit there for an hour every few games.

    Also, on 3 7 win runs in constructed events in a row!

    My last game 7 was against merfolk. So assuming the match making algorithm is paring people up against others with the same win/loss record, you can go pretty far with just a starter deck out there. I don't really trust the match making algorithm is working though.

    Taking 30 seconds an action to pass priority is absolutely roping people. You just feel justified about it because you don't like the decks you play against.

    Yeah nah, I gotta disagree.

    You either concede to those decks or play for an hour in hopes to pull out a win. Neither option is particularly Fun and more often then not those people are banking on you to concede right away.

    So screw em.

    You aren't even disagreeing. You're just saying that roping people in that circumstance is justified (which it isn't), but you're still absolutely knowingly roping people.

    I honestly don't understand the feeling of needing to never concede, even when you know you've lost or when your win chance is <1%. It's just wasting your own time. In the end, you're gonna get a loss, so why spend all that time on spite instead of just going to your next match?

    milski on
    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    If you're a position where you're incapable of winning but you won't concede then the only person wasting your time is yourself.

    While this is true, it's absolutely within their right.

    The people who build decks that require 1+ hour to actually win have to be prepared to pay that price.

    discriderBloodsheed3clipseBurtletoy
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    Yilias wrote: »
    If you're a position where you're incapable of winning but you won't concede then the only person wasting your time is yourself.

    While this is true, it's absolutely within their right.

    The people who build decks that require 1+ hour to actually win have to be prepared to pay that price.

    But the thing is... they're not paying the price. You are. You're rendering yourself incapable of playing Magic while they get to combo off. That's... not even good spite, it's just arrogance.

    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I've never actually seen a Nexus of fate in mtga either. Infinite loop with no way to win should definitely give an option for a draw or something. Hard to find a way to automate a penalty against a person for that I'd guess.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I've never actually seen a Nexus of fate in mtga either. Infinite loop with no way to win should definitely give an option for a draw or something. Hard to find a way to automate a penalty against a person for that I'd guess.

    Nexus of Fate decks typically have Karn as their win condition, though they can go with pure Teferi if they want. It's an extremely bizarre circumstance for somebody to manage to have Nexus of Fate on 100% loop without having any Teferis or Karns left in their deck.

    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    They are. They always are.

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    milski wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I've never actually seen a Nexus of fate in mtga either. Infinite loop with no way to win should definitely give an option for a draw or something. Hard to find a way to automate a penalty against a person for that I'd guess.

    Nexus of Fate decks typically have Karn as their win condition, though they can go with pure Teferi if they want. It's an extremely bizarre circumstance for somebody to manage to have Nexus of Fate on 100% loop without having any Teferis or Karns left in their deck.

    I'm in Copper.
    Guy just had 2-3 Nexus, U draw, R burn, those transforming artifacts that copy spells, and the play instants from the top of your deck enchant.
    No creatures, no planeswalkers.
    Burned all my dudes whilst I knocked him down to 3, wound up taking priority forever but had no wincons.

    He eventually conceded.

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    They are. They always are.

    I mean, I played the Nexus of Fate deck when it was actually good pre-rotation. I wasn't trying to waste people's time, but if you're not gonna concede when I get a soft-lock it can take multiple turns to dig for Karn or Nissa to end the game. Most people don't play just to piss people off (and in fact, I see far more people talking about how to piss off control players than the reverse...)
    discrider wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I've never actually seen a Nexus of fate in mtga either. Infinite loop with no way to win should definitely give an option for a draw or something. Hard to find a way to automate a penalty against a person for that I'd guess.

    Nexus of Fate decks typically have Karn as their win condition, though they can go with pure Teferi if they want. It's an extremely bizarre circumstance for somebody to manage to have Nexus of Fate on 100% loop without having any Teferis or Karns left in their deck.

    I'm in Copper.
    Guy just had 2-3 Nexus, U draw, R burn, those transforming artifacts that copy spells, and the play instants from the top of your deck enchant.
    No creatures, no planeswalkers.
    Burned all my dudes whilst I knocked him down to 3, wound up taking priority forever but had no wincons.

    He eventually conceded.

    Yeah, running dumb jank and fucking it up seems like a possibility.

    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I don't know; seemed to me to be trying to copy a deck and fucking it up.
    And I'd prefer to not have to run at these decks at all, but copper-no mythics is still throwing the same archetypes at me.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Actually, having never netdecked, it looks like I have no idea what a netdeck looks like.
    Clearly all opposing decks are bull.

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know; seemed to me to be trying to copy a deck and fucking it up.
    And I'd prefer to not have to run at these decks at all, but copper-no mythics is still throwing the same archetypes at me.

    What you're describing is a pile of a bunch of off meta rares being played extremely poorly, and doesn't even sound like a Nexus of Fate deck so much as a "wouldn't it be cool to make a UR deck that's nothing but spells?" deck. Which can be fun, but isn't Turbofog.

    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
    discrider
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    They are. They always are.

    I mean, I played the Nexus of Fate deck when it was actually good pre-rotation. I wasn't trying to waste people's time, but if you're not gonna concede when I get a soft-lock it can take multiple turns to dig for Karn or Nissa to end the game.

    Yeah, a deck with a win con.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Greed drafting Vraska and Ral in the same pack erryday.

    What is this I don't even.
    TheBlackWind3clipseLucedes
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    milski wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    People playing the Teferi win con deck aren't doing it to intentionally waste your time. Or maybe they are, but how would you know?

    They are. They always are.

    I mean, I played the Nexus of Fate deck when it was actually good pre-rotation. I wasn't trying to waste people's time, but if you're not gonna concede when I get a soft-lock it can take multiple turns to dig for Karn or Nissa to end the game.

    Yeah, a deck with a win con.

    And it'd be difficult to figure that out early on, especially given I've repeatedly seen people forget Karn is a wincon (so is Teferi, but you're not counting him)

    milski on
    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know; seemed to me to be trying to copy a deck and fucking it up.
    And I'd prefer to not have to run at these decks at all, but copper-no mythics is still throwing the same archetypes at me.

    What you're describing is a pile of a bunch of off meta rares being played extremely poorly, and doesn't even sound like a Nexus of Fate deck so much as a "wouldn't it be cool to make a UR deck that's nothing but spells?" deck. Which can be fun, but isn't Turbofog.

    Am I able to still blame the meta for seeing a deck built around Nexus?
    It feels like I should be able to blame the meta for a crafted set of mythics.

    But yeah, couldn't see anything similar with a Google search on nexus

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Actually, having never netdecked, it looks like I have no idea what a netdeck looks like.
    Clearly all opposing decks are bull.

    All net decking is is looking up a powerful build on the internet and using that. A couple of my decks are netdecks with a little of my own flavor tossed in (like using 4x Ritual to kill weenies because of the vast amounts of fucking Aggro in best of one games)

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • milskimilski UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know; seemed to me to be trying to copy a deck and fucking it up.
    And I'd prefer to not have to run at these decks at all, but copper-no mythics is still throwing the same archetypes at me.

    What you're describing is a pile of a bunch of off meta rares being played extremely poorly, and doesn't even sound like a Nexus of Fate deck so much as a "wouldn't it be cool to make a UR deck that's nothing but spells?" deck. Which can be fun, but isn't Turbofog.

    Am I able to still blame the meta for seeing a deck built around Nexus?
    It feels like I should be able to blame the meta for a crafted set of mythics.

    But yeah, couldn't see anything similar with a Google search on nexus

    Seeing as the deck you played against was an off meta pile of funstuff, not really

    You can't write me off like that! You're just a voice, pal! You don't know a DAMN THING ABOUT RACING!!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    milski wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    I don't know; seemed to me to be trying to copy a deck and fucking it up.
    And I'd prefer to not have to run at these decks at all, but copper-no mythics is still throwing the same archetypes at me.

    What you're describing is a pile of a bunch of off meta rares being played extremely poorly, and doesn't even sound like a Nexus of Fate deck so much as a "wouldn't it be cool to make a UR deck that's nothing but spells?" deck. Which can be fun, but isn't Turbofog.

    Am I able to still blame the meta for seeing a deck built around Nexus?
    It feels like I should be able to blame the meta for a crafted set of mythics.

    But yeah, couldn't see anything similar with a Google search on nexus

    Seeing as the deck you played against was an off meta pile of funstuff, not really

    noo9ooooooooooo

    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Been trying to decide what to make next, because my mono-U was struggling against Boros, but now I'm seeing a lot more Golgari and maybe I'm good :biggrin:

    Probably gonna go Drakes though. Seems strong, even though it's not winning the big tourneys. It's extremely my playstyle. The Mirari version is so beautiful.

    TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    So anyway...

    I don't understand the special event payouts

    They costs 500 gold, just like constructed events.
    The gold payout is the same as constructed events.
    However, you only get 2 cards as a reward: 1 rare 1 uncommon, making the card rewards at 4-5 wins strictly worse.
    AND you can only go to 5 wins and get eliminated at 2 loses.

    Yeah, 1 rare/1 uncommon is better 3 uncommons for 0-3 wins. But being eliminated at 2 losses means you runs will be shorter and it will be more of a gold sink.

    furbat on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I made the day 2 cut for the first time in an individual GP! Drakes!

    @initiatefailure, how did you doooo?

    Also, spicy 4 Niv jeskai decks incoming. New week new meta.

    It looks like fun though. Barely control-y at all. I'm only.. 7 rare wildcards from making it. Gah. Stupid rare lands.

    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    TheBlackWind
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    man I really love casting Banefire on a blue control player. Last guy tried to counter it three times before getting face blasted.
    I swear i'm going to make a green red with nothing but Banefires and Carnage Titans.

    discrider
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. like fire Registered User regular
    The more I draft GRN the more I think it's buck wild that Sonic Assault is a common

    kcGLHQJ.png
    3clipseThe Escape GoatElbasunu
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    man I really love casting Banefire on a blue control player. Last guy tried to counter it three times before getting face blasted.
    I swear i'm going to make a green red with nothing but Banefires and Carnage Titans.

    I made one specifically for control players, though with some added white. Ramp into Tyrants, Banefires, and March of the Multitudes, stay alive with Lava Coils, Knights of Autumn and Tribunals. I dropped an Immortal Sun in too, suck it Teferi.

  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat Brave Sir Robin Registered User regular
    The more I draft GRN the more I think it's buck wild that Sonic Assault is a common

    at what point do you stop drafting sonic assaults

    3clipse wrote: »
    God is dead and life has no purpose.
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. like fire Registered User regular
    The more I draft GRN the more I think it's buck wild that Sonic Assault is a common

    at what point do you stop drafting sonic assaults

    it's strongly dependent on whether i'm picking up the right creatures but

    i would probably be pretty happy with most of the ones i see

    kcGLHQJ.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I made one of those izzet decks and realized you can jump start the arclight phoenix in order to bring it back during combat and that's just dirty

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
    KalTorakElbasunuElldrenmilskiLucedes21stCenturyTheBlackWind
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. like fire Registered User regular
    helllllllllll yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

    kcGLHQJ.png
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I decided to play on ladder a bit since I spent all my gold on packs. I found where all the teferi players are hiding out. I decided to roll a jank dimir deck and Bo1 ladder has been very fun lol.

    Armoroc
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »
    I decided to play on ladder a bit since I spent all my gold on packs. I found where all the teferi players are hiding out. I decided to roll a jank dimir deck and Bo1 ladder has been very fun lol.

    Honestly it's to the point that I consider conceding the moment I see a glacial fortress. Whether I win or lose, playing against an UW Teferi deck (and all UW decks seem to be Teferi decks) is going to be boring and take entirely too long. And it's not like I care about my rank.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    KalTorakBloodsheedKetBra
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Got Slimefoot and Cradle of the Sun out at the same time for the first time tonight.

    ...wow that gets super ridiculous fast. And you can't even safety boardwipe it except with exile effects.

    DanHibiki
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Drascin wrote: »
    furbat wrote: »
    I decided to play on ladder a bit since I spent all my gold on packs. I found where all the teferi players are hiding out. I decided to roll a jank dimir deck and Bo1 ladder has been very fun lol.

    Honestly it's to the point that I consider conceding the moment I see a glacial fortress. Whether I win or lose, playing against an UW Teferi deck (and all UW decks seem to be Teferi decks) is going to be boring and take entirely too long. And it's not like I care about my rank.

    Stay out of casual ladder and stick to constructed events. All the aggro decks are like Teferi repellent. It makes the game much more fun.

    furbat on
  • LucedesLucedes i'm not real, and i deny Registered User regular
    i got to live the dream and cast candlelight vigil on swiftblade in draft

    i did not get punished, removal in GRN draft is bad, vigil is good, live your dreams

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Heh.
    Just killed someone on their turn with a Risk Factor when they had a better board position.
    3 health to 30.
    Mid-attack with 4 power of lifelinkers coming for my face, and a cat getting +/+ besides.

    Misclick possible I guess, but they were equivocating about attacking into my 1/1 gob and Bannerette (with only 3 mana)

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
Sign In or Register to comment.